Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-10-2011, 10:41 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think he is an ace. Never have. But a solid starter who can miss bats is my expectations. Brad Lincoln is looking good as well. I think Lincoln would be a lot better if he had a change and didn't have TJ.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is no evidence that he is a solid starter who can miss bats. The guy had a 3.82 ERA at AA last year. That isn't stellar. A 3.82 ERA in the majors isn't great...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

50 starters had an E.R.A. better than 3.82 last year. I'm not sure if I think that number is high or low.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:37 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
Morton was 5-9 with a 4.55 ERA and 1.52 WHIP in 2009 and 2-12 with a 7.57 ERA and 1.82 WHIP in 2010. Both years, his BABIP was above .300, indicating that batters were hitting his pitches and hitting them hard. The guy has plenty of "stuff", but he's not a MLB pitcher in my mind. The guy is 27. The likelihood of him finding himself and becoming an ace is just not there.
That's not what BABIP means for a pitcher.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:43 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
It can. It can also mean lucky or unlucky. You still have to watch the games to realize what is truly going on. Great sinker ball pitchers are always going to have low BABIP cause they are going to get a lot of weak grounders. It doesn't neccesarily mean they were lucky those grounders didn't find holes. On the reverse hitters with high BABIP aren't always lucky their balls are finding holes either. Depends on the type of hitter. Not everyone regresses or progresses to what most think is the standard mean on BABIP.

Bottom line is Charlie Morton just isn't good. If he can't put himself firmly in the back end of the Pirates rotation by 27, what good is he?
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BABIP can be artificially high if a pitcher's line drive percentage is high, and Morton was just slightly behind Gallardo in terms of line drive percentage amongst starters with at least 70 innings pitched. So he does pretty much suck.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A hitter has way more control over his BABIP than a pitcher does as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 11:56 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
BABIP can be artificially high if a pitcher's line drive percentage is high, and Morton was just slightly behind Gallardo in terms of line drive percentage amongst starters with at least 70 innings pitched. So he does pretty much suck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
A hitter has way more control over his BABIP than a pitcher does as well.

Bingo, bango.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:04 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
BABIP for a pitcher is the same as it is for a hitter, but it does not necessarily equate to a pitcher's quality. It can be a luck thing or it can mean the defense sucks. Or, it means that batters make consistent hard contact against the pitcher's offerings. BABIP is not really an indicator that matters, but it can predict a rebound. League average BABIP is about .290. Morton's MLB career BABIP is about .330. So either he sucks or his defense sucks or both.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 03-10-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
BABIP for a pitcher is the same as it is for a hitter, but it does not necessarily equate to a pitcher's quality. It can be a luck thing or it can mean the defense sucks. Or, it means that batters make consistent hard contact against the pitcher's offerings. BABIP is not really an indicator that matters, but it can predict a rebound. League average BABIP is about .290. Morton's MLB career BABIP is about .330. So either he sucks or his defense sucks or both.
It was averaged in 2008, and artificially high because of an absurd line drive rate and unsustainable home run/fly ball ratio last year. It will probably always be slightly high for Morton, but not to such extremes if he can control his line drives.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-10-2011, 12:12 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Even if he can control his line drives, the K rate doesn't support him being an ace, so we can move on, yes?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Yeah Charlie Morton will never get that much discussion here again I'll have to say.

As for other news I just got a question answered in Keith Law's chat and funny enough it wasn't baseball related.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Even if he can control his line drives, the K rate doesn't support him being an ace, so we can move on, yes?
I'm fine with that. I really don't know why we just spent a page talking about Charlie Morton.

You asked a question about Dish? I am ashamed Zak.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 03-10-2011, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never said Morton will become an ace.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I'm fine with that. I really don't know why we just spent a page talking about Charlie Morton.

You asked a question about Dish? I am ashamed Zak.
I asked 2 baseball questions and then I had a Top Chef comment. Of course he answers the Top Chef comment. I've had baseball related questions answered by him in the past though. A meme needs to be made for how "excited" you get when you get a question answered in an online chat.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Charlie Morton is having a damn good spring. He's throwing his sinker and throwing it very, very well. I think he might surprise some folks this year if/when he wins the fifth starter job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I never said Morton will become an ace.
Not sure what you mean about surprising people. I will be surprised if he's starting for a MLB team in July. I will be surprised if his W/L is over .500. I will be surprised if he would start more than 5 games for any team not named the Pirates.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Anyway, looking like Utley has bone swelling and cartilage issues in his knee (or knees). Clearly he plays the game super hard, but that pounding has now come at a cost. Not sure what kind of procedures are available to help him get back on the field. Is this a microfracture situation?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I mean having a good season. Anything is better than last year's season, but I believe he could have an ERA 4-4.5. That's what I meant.
Old 03-10-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Anyway, looking like Utley has bone swelling and cartilage issues in his knee (or knees). Clearly he plays the game super hard, but that pounding has now come at a cost. Not sure what kind of procedures are available to help him get back on the field. Is this a microfracture situation?
If it is then you can probably kiss Utley goodbye.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 12:39 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

For this season, very possible. After that, you have no idea what he will become. That is quite unsettling. After that, you have to think the Phillies would make a play for Michael Young. He could play either 2B or 3B with Polanco, add RH power, etc...

Old 03-10-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

If it's anything similar to Beltran then it might be more than one year.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I asked 2 baseball questions and then I had a Top Chef comment. Of course he answers the Top Chef comment. I've had baseball related questions answered by him in the past though. A meme needs to be made for how "excited" you get when you get a question answered in an online chat.
What did you ask about top chef?
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
What did you ask about top chef?
Zak (Jersey)

If you are judged on your latest dish then it seems like Antonia should have been sent packing.
Klaw (1:00 PM)

The funny thing about Antonia's dish is that I've had something extremely similar to it, in Nashville three or four years ago - and it was bad. The vinegar in the slaw ended up in the grits and ruined the whole dish.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

idk why the D'Backs would want Young besides the sheer fact that Blum or Mora will be starting every game at 3B

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brett Lawrie is a ************* boss. The kid can rake.

Hopefully he is up by June and Bautista can move to RF
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote