Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Andrew McCutchen FINALLY makes the All Star team. Good ****.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolen replaces Chipper in the All-Star game. Neither of them even deserved to be in the game. Aramis should have been the replacement.
Docta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can someone explain BABIP to me... I'm a noob to this new age baseball stats/metrics/voodoo
Is WAR a baseball term too? If so, if you could enlighten me on that as well

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Can someone explain BABIP to me... I'm a noob to this new age baseball stats/metrics/voodoo
Is WAR a baseball term too? If so, if you could enlighten me on that as well
batting average on balls in play. from what i understand the average is about .300 and if a guy has a high babip, his average would be due to drop (and a low babip would probably be due for a higher average). faster players tend to have higher babip. im not the best guy to have explain sabrmetrics, though.

edit: and WAR is wins above replacement. something like the amount of win shares a player is better or worse than a replacement level player (i'm unsure as to what defines a replacement player, though)

here are the definitions from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/ind...offense/babip/

Last edited by sbh15 : 07-09-2011 at 09:13 PM.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:25 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
batting average on balls in play. from what i understand the average is about .300 and if a guy has a high babip, his average would be due to drop (and a low babip would probably be due for a higher average). faster players tend to have higher babip. im not the best guy to have explain sabrmetrics, though.

edit: and WAR is wins above replacement. something like the amount of win shares a player is better or worse than a replacement level player (i'm unsure as to what defines a replacement player, though)

here are the definitions from fangraphs:

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/index.php/misc/war/
http://www.fangraphs.com/library/ind...offense/babip/
And pitchers with a high BABIP mean they have been extremely unlucky, and low BABIP vice-versa.

Last edited by Docta : 07-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
And pitchers with a high BABIP mean they have been extremely lucky, and low BABIP vice-versa.
Other way around.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

opposite for pitchers high babip means they are unlucky
Old 07-09-2011, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

My bad. Fixed the post.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dbacks pen is returning to last years form ugh
Old 07-10-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I dislike the Yankees. I hate other teams more however. Always respected Jeter. But how they are treating the fan that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit for being human giving the ball back is amazing.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
I dislike the Yankees. I hate other teams more however. Always respected Jeter. But how they are treating the fan that caught Jeter's 3,000th hit for being human giving the ball back is amazing.
Let me guess. Everyone is saying he's a dope for doing the right thing and giving Jeter back the ball? Only on this planet...

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:28 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know that there is a right thing to do in that situation, it's not Jeter's ball. Once it goes into the stands it's the property of whoever grabs it.

I sure as hell would have kept it.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 AM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

Did he throw it onto the field or something? I would of given it to him but I would of wanted a package of signed stuff and tickets or something
Old 07-10-2011, 12:32 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You know that ball has been valued at 250,000 dollars right? Maybe 1% of the people on this earth would give the ball back.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:33 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Did he throw it onto the field or something? I would of given it to him but I would of wanted a package of signed stuff and tickets or something
He got tickets to every game the rest of the season. And three jerseys and some other crap signed by Jeter.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly I would have kept it. That is too much cash. Maybe a trade for season tickets for a few seasons or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Let me guess. Everyone is saying he's a dope for doing the right thing and giving Jeter back the ball? Only on this planet...
Yes people are saying that. Haha, cuz he coulda got a crapload of money.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Andrew McCutchen FINALLY makes the All Star team. Good ****.
He should change his name to McClutchen. That would be so awesome.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
You know that ball has been valued at 250,000 dollars right? Maybe 1% of the people on this earth would give the ball back.
I think it depends on the person. Me, I have student loans and such. That ball could probably change my life. I probably would have kept it. But I'm not going to call the other guy a dope for giving it back. He may already have money for all we know...or maybe he just wanted to do the unselfish thing. Regardless he shouldn't be grilled for it.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2011, 12:40 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Quote:
I think it depends on the person. Me, I have student loans and such. That ball could probably change my life. I probably would have kept it. But I'm not going to call the other guy a dope for giving it back. He may already have money for all we know...or maybe he just wanted to do the unselfish thing. Regardless he shouldn't be grilled for it.

Not calling him a dope at all, it was a great gesture. I'm just saying I think people would change their tune if they were actually put in that situation. Almost everyone would keep it.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:43 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
Not calling him a dope at all, it was a great gesture. I'm just saying I think people would change their tune if they were actually put in that situation. Almost everyone would keep it.
Yeah I'm not calling you out specifically. I'm talking about the other folks giving him a hard time.

Quote:
Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Didn't the fan who caught Barry's 756th homer have to sell it because they were going to tax him for catching the ball?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Didn't the fan who caught Barry's 756th homer have to sell it because they were going to tax him for catching the ball?
How can you get taxed for catching a ball.

EDIT: Nevermind. Read about it. Such bull-****.

Quote:

Last edited by Ness : 07-10-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:23 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Icon

Quote:
How can you get taxed for catching a ball.

EDIT: Nevermind. Read about it. Such bull-****.
Well its San Francisco.....anything can happen.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
dbacks pen is returning to last years form ugh
That's what happens when you let Aaron Heilman be in your bullpen!