Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-16-2011, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It doesn't matter what forces in the world are helping the Pirates, they are in first place and that's really all anyone should be talking about.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
It's lucky because he allows a lot of homers, doesn't strike out a lot of people, has a ridiculously low BABIP, and an absurdly high LOB%. You may need to be introduced to sabermetrics my friend.
I don't see how a low BABIP is lucky when he's pitching well? Yeah he does give up home runs, but he does it when no one is on base. As long as he gets the outs when he needs them then I don't see how he is lucky. His WHIP, ERA and opponent BA are good. Those are the primary stats I look at.

Im not huge into baseball stats. I just think Karstens is pitching well and that he deserves some credit. He's obviously not going to pitch this well all year but it's one hell of a dominant stretch IMO.

Karstens has been great when we need him. He's one of the unsung heros of the Pirates ever since he got to Pittsburgh.

BoneKrusher

360 GT: iiidiiiot
Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Santonio10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Santonio10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Oh my......
That was sarcasm haha. I didn't really mean that Verlander and Hanrahan were lucky if thats what you're referring to.

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:28 AM    (permalink
Santonio10
Veteran

As "lucky" as Karstens appears to be, Paul Maholm is equally as unlucky

BoneKrusher

Go AC Gators! 7-3 (4-2)
Old 07-16-2011, 11:35 AM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
As "lucky" as Karstens appears to be, Paul Maholm is equally as unlucky
No, since Maholm's BABIP is actually below average...

If a pitcher has a BABIP below .300, it means he's getting lucky with the location of where the ball is being hit. It's almost impossible to consistently have a BABIP below .300.

Quote:
<@JBond> And Dg, you'd waste it on corndogs
<@JBond> So you get no 5 dollars
<+DG> how is buy one get one free wasting?
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
DeepThreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepThreat View Post
No, since Maholm's BABIP is actually below average...

If a pitcher has a BABIP below .300, it means he's getting lucky with the location of where the ball is being hit. It's almost impossible to consistently have a BABIP below .300.
That's not exactly true. If a pitcher can limit his line drive percentage consistently, or if he has a very good defense combined with ground ball tendencies, he can easily get his BABIP at .280 (see Greg Maddux),

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santonio10 View Post
I don't see how a low BABIP is lucky when he's pitching well? Yeah he does give up home runs, but he does it when no one is on base. As long as he gets the outs when he needs them then I don't see how he is lucky. His WHIP, ERA and opponent BA are good. Those are the primary stats I look at.

Im not huge into baseball stats. I just think Karstens is pitching well and that he deserves some credit. He's obviously not going to pitch this well all year but it's one hell of a dominant stretch IMO.

Karstens has been great when we need him. He's one of the unsung heros of the Pirates ever since he got to Pittsburgh.
That's not how BABIP works. Karstens line drive percentage is in line with his career average, and his ground ball percentage is only slightly better than his career average. While he does have an inflated HR/FB%, he's also limited his infield fly balls, so that's pretty much the explanation. As for WHIP, ERA, and opponents BA, they aren't very good measuring sticks.

Some pitchers have the ability to out perform their peripherals because they induce weak contact, and Karstens is not one of those guys. If you want an example of that, look at Jair Jurrjens (although he isn't this good either).

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeepThreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Obviously there are exceptions to every rule, but what I said is typically true. As you said, by analyzing Karstens's LD% and such, you can tell he's just getting lucky.

Quote:
Quote:
<+njx9> i'm pretty sure your people still eat boots in north korea, bantx. they don't know what vegetables are.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:41 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jeff is also sporting a nice 2.14 differential in ERA and FIP.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breakout your calculators and spreadsheets, it's a good ol' fashioned SABR-orgy.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:01 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ya i love sabr stuff now, sucks that t2 was such a douche or i probably would of cared about them earlier

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's why I'm the Saber leader now, because I'm slightly less douchey than T2 and I get more in depth.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-16-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I kinda liked T2...
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's a wonder you suck so bad at fantasy Broduer, honestly.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was once a "hater" of all of the sabr stats but I've come around to them. The only stat I don't like is UZR. Sabr is really useful for pitchers and batters. I just don't like the fielding stats.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:50 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like SABR stuff, but I don't think it's the end all be all. There's room for some traditional metrics and scouting in baseball, but modern stats have a tendency to tell you a whole lot more. As far as Karstens goes, he's having a nice year regardless of luck, but the numbers say he's getting a ton of breaks and it's hard to dispute that really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I was once a "hater" of all of the sabr stats but I've come around to them. The only stat I don't like is UZR. Sabr is really useful for pitchers and batters. I just don't like the fielding stats.
They're getting a little bit better, but I find it hard to imagine that stats will ever be able to quantify defense perfectly. They've gotten to the point where they're useful to look at but need to be taken with a grain of salt.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's why I'm the Saber leader now, because I'm slightly less douchey than T2 and I get more in depth.
You are only the leader because I'm too lazy, and T2>you.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
It's a wonder you suck so bad at fantasy Broduer, honestly.
I'm not very good at differentiating fantasy and reality when it comes to baseball. I'm much better at football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
UZR is alright, it's a good companion with +/- and Zone Rating.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-16-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

UZR is still crap, it just happens to be one of the better pieces of crap, so we make due.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
UZR is still crap, it just happens to be one of the better pieces of crap, so we make due.
No stat will ever make Derek Jeter a good fielder.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 07-16-2011, 04:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No stat will ever make Derek Jeter a good fielder.
Jeter's range is pretty bad, there's no denying that. Jeter just makes the plays that he should, something that a guy like Eduardo Nunez hasn't done is the last couple of weeks. Does that make Jeter a good defender? No, but he is dependable.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

So I make a tweet about Chris Carpenter complaining and some guy comes back at me that I'm just mad because he shut down my favorite player (not true) and that I should try to get his name right (I did). Also called me worthless. Seems like a nice and intelligent guy.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 02:26 AM    (permalink
Docta
Veteran

Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Docta is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saber is very useful in fantasy. Just make sure your pitchers have a K/9 over 7, and a BB/9 under 4. None of their xFIP's should be over 4 either. Don't just give up on a pitcher if they have a high ERA. Morrow and Greinke are perfect examples for that.

Batting is a little more tricky, since it depends on what you need. If you just need a better team, look at wOBA. If you need SBs, look at OBP too, since they'll get more opportunities if it's high.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
DeepThreat
Pro Bowler

Ryan Theriot is getting suspended for a while.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-17-2011, 02:03 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

**** Sunday Night baseball. Night games on Sunday should be illegal. I actually have to do something with my day besides watch baseball now...

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jim Thome just hit a 490 foot home run. Holy ****.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote