Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 05-02-2010, 07:27 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
I would say given how incredibly awful Matt Katula is that Morgan Cox has a pretty good shot at making the team.
Really dude? The guy has one bad year, due to injury and you're calling him awful? yes he had a pretty bad end to the season, but before the 09 season, he was simply perfect, yet no one gave him props. If he can get back to 100%, you'll never hear his name during games.

sorry, I'm friends with his cousin, so I gatta support him :)

Also, who else is pumped for our receiving corp this year. TC is going to be very interesting.

I think the starting 3 is pretty much locked up with Boldin, Mason, and Stallworth. The rest is all going to be interesting.

Our FO really likes David Reed, hopefully he's going to be that steal we always manage to get in the late rounds. I think, he can flourish in the slot and rotating with Stallworth would be an effective way to use him.

Clayton is loved by the coaching staff, but sooner or later, his mediocre play will catch up to him, the fact that he won't be starter AND that he can't play special teams is going to hurt his chances of making the team. I'm down for trading him for like a 6th rounder. This guy blows, the only thing keeping him on the team is the fear of injury to Boldin.

I think Marcus Smith could make the team, if he shows he is fully recovered from the knee injury he had in pre-season. He was an excellent gunner and I many believed he was starting to develop as a WR.

Justin Harper, if he worked on his catching, will be intriguing, the guy has all the physical tools, but couldn't catch work a damn.

I know Ravens1991, loves Riley, and he may make the team if he can shine on special teams,(his main competition would likely be Marcus Smith) but with the addition of Boldin and Stallworth and our coaching staffs love affair with Mark Clayton, I can't see him making the team.

Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz : 05-02-2010 at 07:29 AM.
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like your breakdown w/ the WRs, yeah Clayton is a great guy and all but I say cut him, he cant play special teams while young guns like Smith and RIley have more overall potential and can play special teams. Yeah Clayton you are nice but lifes a ***** see ya.

Dont forget Demetrius Williams in the mix, He really bulked up last off season and Flacco targeted him whenever he was in, but he is the opposite of Clayton, the coaches seem to hate him.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, Riley and Smith have more long-term value AND special teams ability, but again, if an injury does occur, I think the coaching staff feels safer with Clayton stepping up rather than an un-proven, inexperienced young guy.

I say, if we can get a 6th or 7th for Clayton, do it, we shouldn't just cut him.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we'll keep 5 receivers on the active roster and a couple of the PS like last season. Boldin and Mason are pretty set in stone as the two starting guys, but I think the final three spots will be a battle. Stallworth will probably make it and I think David Reed will too. IMO the last WR spot will come down to Clayton, Williams, or Smith. Smith is probably the guy with the most versatility because of his ST ability, and the coaching staff really liked him before his injury last season. I don't think Williams will make the team, the coaching staff doesn't seem to like him much. Clayton will be an interesting guy to watch, but I really hope we go our separate ways with him.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:57 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

yeah, I can't stand him either, but his experience in the offense is the only thing keeping him on the team.

edit -
this just came to me - Why not just trade or cut Clayton, and re-sign Kelley Washington. Both guys know the offense and Flacco even looked more at Washington on third downs than he did Clayton.

Last edited by BmoreBlackByrdz : 05-02-2010 at 03:03 PM.
BmoreBlackByrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:35 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Kelly Washington is demanding 2 much money, that is my only guess. I am shocked he hasnt been picked up yet, he works hard and did well.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Washington was an option I'd definitely want him as the 5th receiver to make the team (likely the 3rd of 4th WR on the depth chart), but I haven't seen any indications of him returning to the Ravens. Early on there was supposedly interest from the Bills but nothing since.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I agree he is obviously better then Clayton and is possibly better then stallworth. He is either a big asshole and a team cancer or he is asking for too much money.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

he is neither a cancer or demanding a big contract, I have no idea why we didn't at least invite him into TC.

I heard that from the minute he signed his contract(last year), he was always in the facility, either conditioning, lifting and just down right working hard. I loved the dancing he brought to our offense, IDK but it just added some pizazz. He was also a monster on third down.

I do remember at end of the year that he said he "thought he should have been used more." and he was absolutely right, I hope we aren't holding a grudge against him because he said that.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yeah lets be real here, Clayton sucks, Washington was better then Clayton. He brought swag and he brought us a some what productive WR. I have never heard of clayton being a really hard worker or anything that Washington was. I really think it is because he is demanding a big contract or something. IDK it sucks he was beastly.

Guess who is going to the Ravens Jets game??? This guy!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ravens1991 : 05-02-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Ravens1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
yeah lets be real here, Clayton sucks, Washington was better then Clayton. He brought swag and he brought us a some what productive WR. I have never heard of clayton being a really hard worker or anything that Washington was. I really think it is because he is demanding a big contract or something. IDK it sucks he was beastly.

Guess who is going to the Ravens Jets game??? This guy!!!!!!!
nice dude. I've never been to a game before. I might go to the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game as well as the Buffalo game or Tampa Bay game this year.

how are the games?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

its so awesome, I have season tickets and I have been to the meadowlands twice, and Hinez field for the AFC title game. The intensity is unbelieveable. I will never forget the feeling going up on the bus for the AFC title game, but I am desperately trying to forget the results.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:53 AM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just found out the Aso to the Ravens trade was squashed...which surprised me because I never heard that rumor. Who actually bought that rumor? Aso would require way too much money, and we would probably lose both Gaither and Ngata in FA if that tomfoolery happened.
trkaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:00 AM    (permalink
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
Pro Bowler

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
nice dude. I've never been to a game before. I might go to the Redskins vs. Ravens preseason game as well as the Buffalo game or Tampa Bay game this year.

how are the games?
I have been to 2 games one against the turds and last year against the Lions(Got the tickets for free). I had just as much fun in the sun playing the turds as I did in the pouring down rain against the Lions. One of the best experiences.
mo drew gets about 16 touches a game on offense (on a good day), and will run circles around ray rice. rice has no speed, 2nd burst or agility. he's a strong midget. How can anyone be excited about that.
John Wall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4CbQGBbUOw
RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:15 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkaline View Post
Just found out the Aso to the Ravens trade was squashed...which surprised me because I never heard that rumor. Who actually bought that rumor? Aso would require way too much money, and we would probably lose both Gaither and Ngata in FA if that tomfoolery happened.
There really wasn't ever anything substantial with those rumors, I don't see Aso being traded with his contract.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:50 AM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.trkaline is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody read the comments on the articles on Baltimoreravens.com? They're good for a laugh. I just read someone comment that they would only let Clayton go for a very good corner, crazy...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
its so awesome, I have season tickets and I have been to the meadowlands twice, and Hinez field for the AFC title game. The intensity is unbelieveable. I will never forget the feeling going up on the bus for the AFC title game, but I am desperately trying to forget the results.
I would LOVE to go to a Steeler-Raven game at Heinz Field in the coming years while I am transitioning to move back to Pittsburgh. That'd be badass.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:08 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkaline View Post
Anybody read the comments on the articles on Baltimoreravens.com? They're good for a laugh. I just read someone comment that they would only let Clayton go for a very good corner, crazy...

IDK if we could get a steaming bag of poop for clayton. I honestly dont think he should make the team unless a miracle occurs, why keep him at #4 when we can keep a young guy (Riley,SMith,Harper) who has potential and can play special teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
I would LOVE to go to a Steeler-Raven game at Heinz Field in the coming years while I am transitioning to move back to Pittsburgh. That'd be badass.
They are intense, I had fun except for the final score, the city of pittsburgh is actually cool, like that mountain next to the stadium was real nice. I had real good seats right next to the water as well. I still get nightmares of hearing that Daren Stone penalty though.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:19 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
IDK if we could get a steaming bag of poop for clayton. I honestly dont think he should make the team unless a miracle occurs, why keep him at #4 when we can keep a young guy (Riley,SMith,Harper) who has potential and can play special teams.

They are intense, I had fun except for the final score, the city of pittsburgh is actually cool, like that mountain next to the stadium was real nice. I had real good seats right next to the water as well. I still get nightmares of hearing that Daren Stone penalty though.
Yeah Pittsburgh gets a bad rap for being old and run down, but it's one of the most beautiful cities I have seen. Mt Washington is beautiful as well.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
trkaline
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That's why both him and Williams should go, neither contribute to special teams, and neither contribute enough to the WR position to warrent a roster spot over ANY of our young WR's.

Last edited by trkaline : 05-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:

yeah, I think Clayton being cut is becoming more and more likely. Not because the coaches think he sucks, its a financial reason. Obviously he'd be a backup with the additions of Mason, Boldin and Stallworth. Why pay him average starter money to sit on the bench and be a backup? Same applies for Demetrius Williams.

Quote:
There are currently nine wide receivers on Baltimore’s roster. And that’s not even counting restricted free agent Mark Clayton who is still expected to sign his tender.

When the time comes for the Ravens to trim the team down to a 53-man roster – a requirement that is still months away, but will eventually be a reality – one or more of those receivers will likely find themselves as the odd man out.

Jamison Hensely of the Baltimore Sun reported that there is a “strong chance” that either Mark Clayton or Demetrius Williams won’t make the final cutdown. Hensely even goes as far as to say that both receivers could be released.

Why cut two of last year’s top receivers over five other backups still on the roster? Hensley says it’s because both Clayton and Williams would be making big-money for backups, but neither of them plays on special teams.

“The Ravens are making a risky move if they are keeping Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams around for insurance at wide receiver,” Hensley said.

“If Clayton and Williams sustain major injuries during offseason camps or training camp — and both have regularly battled injuries during their NFL careers — the Ravens are on the hook for their salaries. Clayton is scheduled to earn $2.2 million, and Williams will make $1.176 million.”

Like Hensley says, a fourth spot could be given to the top special teams contributor, perhaps David Reed or Marcus Smith.

But who knows? A lot could change between now and those final roster cuts.

Remember, for the first game of the season last year, there were four receivers listed on the roster. But, by the last game (divisional playoff) the Ravens had six receivers. So depending on the coaches’ assessments, there is flexibility and maneuvering with the number of players for each position.

Needless to say, it will be interesting to see how the position unfolds over the next several months
I wouldn't mind cutting them both and just keeping David Reed and Marcus Smith. It's time for some different bodies at the WR position, Clayton and Williams have had there chance, let these young guys have a shot.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I agree, the thing is I really never felt Dwill got a full chance, he just got spurts. I think he could be a nice #4 but I doubt it will be in baltimore.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I agree, the thing is I really never felt Dwill got a full chance, he just got spurts. I think he could be a nice #4 but I doubt it will be in baltimore.
yeah, I feel the same about Williams, but if the coaching staff hates him that much, then there must be something we don't know about him. No matter the case though, I do think it's time to move on.

Marcus Smith
Eron Riley
David Reed
Justin Harper

all these guys need to be given a shot, let these old useless vets like Clayton and D-will go, they aren't worth what we owe em to be a #4 or #5 guy on depth chart and NOT play special teams.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I would have rather had Dwill starting over Clayton, Dwill got open and Flacco actually targeted him when he was on the field, something he never did w/ Clayton.

But my prediction is Clayton makes the team, and Smith and Reed do. I predict we have 6 WRs.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:52 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I would have rather had Dwill starting over Clayton, Dwill got open and Flacco actually targeted him when he was on the field, something he never did w/ Clayton.

But my prediction is Clayton makes the team, and Smith and Reed do. I predict we have 6 WRs.
why would we keep Clayton? He'd be pretty damn expensive for a 4th string wide receiver?

why not save money, cut him, and give a younger guy an opportunity, hell or even give D-Will his job, he's a million cheaper (I think) and like you said, in the limited playing time he had, Flacco did look his way.