Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...tory?track=rss

Seems like despite our desires to add an ILB in the first round, it has become more and more likely that we will target an OL with our first pick.

My guess is that this may be due to the fact that Ozzie doesn't see any justifiable talent at the position.

Lets face it, Taze probably isn't going in the first round at this point and despite our theories, most teams probably aren't looking at Zach Brown as a possible 3-4 ILB.

I have put down the idea of taking an OL in the first round for awhile now but as the draft draws closer, it is time to be realistic.

Konz will probably be #1 on our big board although, from the article, it seems like some still have Adams still falling into our area.

I don't know how much credibility one should give to this article but it seems like for now we might want to focus on which OL me want.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

O-Line has always been our biggest need. Even if there wasn't uncertainty with Grubbs and Birk, we still could easily upgrade 3 of the 5 spots in the O-Line. Now, our 2nd best lineman and one of the most consistent players on our team could be gone along with our starting center (who didn't play particularly well this year anyway) and the backup at both those spots is going to be a 34 year old UFA. We were lucky enough last year that we got away with having such a thin group. Even if we we're able to keep the same group intact, we'd still be getting worse with McKinnie and Birk getting older and crappier.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:13 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
O-Line has always been our biggest need. Even if there wasn't uncertainty with Grubbs and Birk, we still could easily upgrade 3 of the 5 spots in the O-Line. Now, our 2nd best lineman and one of the most consistent players on our team could be gone along with our starting center (who didn't play particularly well this year anyway) and the backup at both those spots is going to be a 34 year old UFA. We were lucky enough last year that we got away with having such a thin group. Even if we we're able to keep the same group intact, we'd still be getting worse with McKinnie and Birk getting older and crappier.
I agree, but my opinion has remained that this is a VERY strong interior OL class where talent could be had later in the draft.

Obviously if an OT like Adams falls to us we should probably take him first and foremost.

Still, I would be weary of taking, say, Jonathan Martin in round one. I have kind of shied off of him as a prospect and I'm not sure I would be comfortable selecting him in the 1st round.

Konz certainly presents value and if Ozzie doesn't have any of the available LB as worthy talents, I would be fine taking him in round one even though I would prefer a LB.

Other than Konz, it seems like most of the round one talents along the OL will be gone before we pick. I would probably be okay taking Glenn should he fall but I doubt teams will let him fall.

Other than those guys, taking a guard like Zeitler in round one seems like a reach (not that I'd be too upset with it, love Z) as we could probably grab Silatolu in round two to address OG whom I like very much as a prospect.

In my mind it is really a question of whether or not we are really getting value in round one for interior OL when one could still find great value/talent in round two at the position.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-24-2012, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,2796007.story

!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ozzie seems to think we will be resigning Grubbs and negotiations have started with his agent

Harbaugh-
Quote:
We've got some pretty good cap room and some cash
Also seemingly confident that they will be able to reach extensions with Flacco and Rice.

Reed also to return next season for sure.

Carr, Evans, and Foxworth are all likely cuts

No mention of Webb but I doubt we would let him walk.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:

Last edited by Sloopy : 02-24-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt we cut Carr, it only saves us $600K before June 1st. If we cut him after that date is would save us $2.5 mil. but by that time any of our "big" free agent moves will be over by a long time. It's nice to see that they are making a big push to bring Grubbs back. That was mentioned in the LFW article on the Ravens site this morning. Looks like they're hedging their bets though by interviewing all the top OL prospects that we have a shot at.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Fox retired would we save more $? Also im getting sick and tired of people thinking we are in the Mike Wallace sweepstakes. It gets my hopes up but we definetly wont be able to get him
Old 02-24-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

I don't see why we would want to though.

Sign the guys we have and don't sign any flashy receivers who will make Cam want to throw more often.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
If Fox retired would we save more $? Also im getting sick and tired of people thinking we are in the Mike Wallace sweepstakes. It gets my hopes up but we definetly wont be able to get him
Actually I'm not sure how retired players affect the cap. I know that there is a cap hit but whether it's different than if we just cut him I have no idea.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:01 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple points from that article that I found interesting & other stuff. I've been thinking about some of these for a while so it might be a little long.

-No real chance we go after Wallace. We are alright at WR now. I just hope some other team, preferably NFC, goes after him just so the Steelers don't keep him.

-Interesting to see them really going hard still to keep Grubbs. It would be nice to keep him but Rice and Flacco have way more priority. If we keep Grubbs OL becomes much less of a priority in the 1st round to me. Not saying that we wouldn't grab a talent OL if he fell though.

-I think we keep Carr around. He is good depth at CB and PR if needed. He's not really that expensive I think. He is a fine nickle or dime, especially because our secondary is always fighting injuries.

-Foxworth is either going to be cut or retire I guess. I wish he didn't get hurt because he was okay I thought.

-I'm surprised to see Torrey Smith had a double sports hernia he had to deal with all season. I'm super pumped that he already is a good player and I'm excited about his potential. Finally a real deep threat.

-Sucks that Lee Evans didn't work out. Waste of a 4th at this point. I still think that he would have been our leading receiver if he didn't get that injury. He never got to work into the offense this season.

-Interesting to see them giving Anthony Allen a real shot at the back up RB spot. I still think we get a vet who is better at pass blocking and catching, but Allen could be a good power/grinder to smash on defenses later in games. Still I think a vet would be a safer alternate move.

-Jameel McClain & JJ are probably gone. Some one will offer then more then we can afford to pay probably. Best of luck to JJ though, he was a great player who was always overlooked because he just really wasn't a passrusher. In such a passing league we need more pressure from that OLB spot though.

-Speaking of that OLB spot, I have some tempered excitement about Kruger and Kindle. Kruger showed some pass rush ability last season. It's nice to see him on the field after years of people complaining about his lack of snaps. I still think Kindle could do somethings. He should now be healthy and will get a full offseason to prepare. Neither will be the run defender that JJ was though.

-I wonder what our plans at safety are. Pollard has been a real nice surprise but Reed is near the end & if we let Nakamura and Zbikowski walk we have no real depth. I still am surprised Pollard worked out so well for us. I like us to try to give him a nice moderate deal because he is only 27 and is on his last year of his contract.

-Am I the only one who likes Pitta a lot more than Dickson? I would like to see more of both of them out there although its tough to run 2 TEs and keep Leach on the field as well I guess. Like every other team, we should breakdown how the Patriots use their 2 TEs and try to incorporate some of their concepts. Although with Cam I doubt it.

-I'm disappointed that Cam is coming back, but I honestly think that either way this is his last year here, barring a SB win.

-I hope that Dean Pees took notes from Pagano. We are way better when our defense attacks and tries to generate pressure. His past with the Patriots wasn't the best but I'm hoping with our defensive talent he can work something out.

Damn I just wrote out a bunch of stuff on accident :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with all of your stuff neil89. I am looking forward to see Allen compete for the #2 RB spot. I think he can be that situational power back. Also I will like to see Kindle and Kruger get some time rushing the passer. It will be interesting to see how Kindle progresses because if he can return to form we can have an explosive pass rush.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:31 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I don't see why we would want to though.

Sign the guys we have and don't sign any flashy receivers who will make Cam want to throw more often.

Because him and Torrey Smith would be ******* lights out with 2 of the best young deep balls in the NFL. Camerons air coryell system needs 2 deep threats and since Camerons offense is so basic you will need elite talent to make it work. He isnt creative enough to have an elite offense with a lack of talent.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:30 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

My worry would be sinking a bunch of money for elite talent to only get mediocre results out of a crappy system

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-24-2012, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

yea thats a fair point. But Smith and Wallace are so talented they can know whats coming and it would be hard to stop. Anyway this is all fun speculation I have a better chance of playing for the Ravens next season then Wallace.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Yea. Unfortunately, if we do manage to sign everyone (Grubbs included) we would probably be right up against the cap

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-28-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Thoughts on bringing back LeRon McClain to take over Williams role as a powerback. He had a great work ethic and was a good team player. Did well for us in 2009 when he weighed like 260. Have him cut down to 235ish will improve his speed. I would take him.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:18 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather spend $$ elsewhere. I really wanna give Anthony Allen an opportunity to be that power back/ change of pace type RB.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:36 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as he is cheap and not disgruntled about leaving. I just don't want to add any bad chemistry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

well he signed a deal under 1 million @ kansas city i believe. I think he could be an option mainly cause Allen is unproven. I like Allen too but I would like another veteran just in case.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Carr will be cut according to JasonLaconfora
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Yup.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider

Ravens are cutting cornerback Chris Carr, a league source confirms.
Hopefully it's with the June 1st designation. If not I don't see the logic behind the move. It would only save us $600k, the amount it would cost to fill his roster spot by anybody else we could sign.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Im getting nervous we will lose Grubbs.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider

I'm told that the Ravens also plan to cut WR Lee Evans and CB Domonique Foxworth. No surprises there.
As expected. We might go after a WR in free agency though, especially if we don't retain Grubbs.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

We really need to restructure or cut Cundiff. He is making more $ then any kicker.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Cutting him without a June 1st designation only saves us $400k. Restructuring just moves the money into the later years of his contract. He needs to agree to take less money, and I'm not sure how likely that is.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

even if he made the kick that is a **** deal. But for the simple fact we are paying this guy more then any other kicker and he missed that kick is just embarassing.