Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-16-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post

Oher - Grubbs - C - Yanda - Reid

McKinnie - Mathis - C - Yanda - Oher

IMO The second one is better then the first one. McKinnie who has been keeping in shape this off season and who showed up to the castle yesterday weighing less then his playing weight is at least on par w/ oher at LT if not better. Mathis is a slight drop off and Grubbs but its a ******* left guard we are talknig about not a QB. Oher is proven to be a pretty good RT who I think will be a real good RT with a off season focusing on RT. Reid is unproven at RT right now.

I do agree that ultimately Cam will **** us over from being a super bowl contender but that is Harbaughs choice not Ozzies. The HC should have full say w/ his staff IMO because they have to work together
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider

Ravens are planning to pick up $500,000 roster bonus for Bryant McKinnie, per a source. An extension down the road not out of the question
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo. This would upset me more than anything else besides retaining Cameron/promoting Pees.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I understand that, but it's a matter of him putting the wrong players out there. Tell me which of these offensive lines looks better to you.

Oher - Grubbs - C - Yanda - Reid

McKinnie - Mathis - C - Yanda - Oher

I'm coming across as extremely cynical, but apart from a few cases I generally strive to trust in Ozzie and believe that the Ravens do have a strong organizational structure that is capable of putting together a winning product. I just don't think that's the case anymore. We aren't finding the mid-round studs like we used to, we aren't retaining our own key players like we used to, and we aren't making the right coaching staff decisions like we used to. Face it, once Ray and Ed leave this franchise is going to crash hard.
I'd rather have the second one. Keep Oher at RT and let him get comfortable. McKinnie is about equal to Oher flipping back to LT again. Reid is still an unknown but we signed McKinnie right before the season partly because Reid wasn't ready to start at RT. Reid could have been a major liability at RT. Losing Grubbs is a downgrade but not as bad as having to start Reid and flip Oher.

I don't feel like we are doing that terribly drafting wise. I'm not sure how many studs you expect to find in the mid to late area but were doing alright there. We are still one of the best drafting teams.

Losing Gubbs is a negative thing anyway you look at it, but its not like the team didn't try. We don't have the cap room. You're going to lose guys in FA. Grubbs is a great player but I'm not sure that losing a G qualifies as a key player. Losing Ray Rice or Flacco is a considerably bigger problem, especially if our money is tied up in our guards.

Also am I the only one that doesn't think losing Johnson is that considerable loss? He is a great run defender and knows how to set the edge, but he brings almost nothing as a pass rusher. In such a passing game now he didn't bring any pressure and I think that someone else can do more from that OLB spot. I just remember watching games and him never getting any real pressure.

Our FO is still one of the better ones out there. Were highly competitive almost every year and we are consistently a talent laden team. Were 44-20 since Harbaugh came on an haven't missed the playoffs. That is a winning product. No we haven't won the SB, but you act like we are the Browns (sorry Browns fans.) We have been a SB contender every year.

No one is happy about Cam & Peas but I don't think it absolutely means we have 0% chance of winning next year. I'm not willing to just say that next year is already lost. I have hope that we can and will do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wait guys, stop the presses: We just resigned Matt Birk to a 3 year contract. I feel better already.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...headline_stack
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:09 PM    (permalink
FSPH
Rookie

FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wait guys, stop the presses: We just resigned Matt Birk to a 3 year contract. I feel better already.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...headline_stack
Does this mean were drafting a center? Sign birk to mentor him?
FSPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

could be, I was shocked to see them agree to a 3 year deal. I expected a 1 year, maybe 2 at most.

I would love to see us draft Konz and let him play a year or 2 @ guard (if we don't get Evan Mathis) and/or use him on unbalanced packages, then take over once Birk retires.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a 3 year deal is probably a lot cap friendlier then a 1 year deal.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like we'll be looking for a new LG elsewhere, Mathis is going back to the Eagles. 5 years $25 million with $7 millions guaranteed. The interior OL is one of the deepest parts of this draft class. Hopefully we take advantage of that.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:09 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Looks like we'll be looking for a new LG elsewhere, Mathis is going back to the Eagles. 5 years $25 million with $7 millions guaranteed. The interior OL is one of the deepest parts of this draft class. Hopefully we take advantage of that.

Good point about this interior O-Line class. I think we have to draft two O-Line in the first 4 rounds with the other picks being a WR and a LB (inside or outside).
Old 03-17-2012, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Ngatachance92
Veteran

Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ngatachance92 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post

Good point about this interior O-Line class. I think we have to draft two O-Line in the first 4 rounds with the other picks being a WR and a LB (inside or outside).
Or LBer and safety, we're paper thin at safety right now and with Reeds health we need at least a competent FS just in case.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:31 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After losing out on Mathis, apparently we are considering playing Jah Reid at LG. It's an interesting idea but one I could definitely on board with. He's kind of tall for a typical guard, but he's strong, very physical and an excellent run blocker. Even if there's a bit of an adjustment period, if it means putting our 5 best lineman out there and no longer having a gaping hole at LG, I'm all for it.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:37 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngatachance92 View Post
Or LBer and safety, we're paper thin at safety right now and with Reeds health we need at least a competent FS just in case.
You're looking in the wrong draft class for that.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:27 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what do you guys think about us bringing in Ted Ginn Jr. ? I hope he signs w/ us. We haven't had a threat in the return game for the longest time (B.J. Sams? Yamon Figurs? Jermaine Lewis) and I hate putting studs like Reed and Webb back there.

Ginn is stupid fast, will obviously contribute @ special teams(unlike Lee Evans) while he sits as our 4th or 5th WR. Not to mention, Cameron was the idiot who drafted him #9 overall so there's that going for us.

thoughts on Ginn as a Raven?
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really not upset about losing Grubbs.

I maintain that Yanda is actually our best OL so I think the FO made the right choice when they saw that both were going to need new contracts and probably couldn't pay both, the same thin happened in NO.

Furthermore, I think that if there was ever a year to need to replace a guard, it is this year. The interior OL depth, specifically at the OG position, is outstanding in this draft. I don't doubt our ability to select a starting OG in any of the first three rounds.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmoreBlackByrdz View Post
what do you guys think about us bringing in Ted Ginn Jr. ? I hope he signs w/ us. We haven't had a threat in the return game for the longest time (B.J. Sams? Yamon Figurs? Jermaine Lewis) and I hate putting studs like Reed and Webb back there.

Ginn is stupid fast, will obviously contribute @ special teams(unlike Lee Evans) while he sits as our 4th or 5th WR. Not to mention, Cameron was the idiot who drafted him #9 overall so there's that going for us.

thoughts on Ginn as a Raven?
I like it. One thing that I tend to gets overlooked is the value of having a great punt returner on a great defensive team. Reason being is simply that teams with top defenses cause other teams to punt more giving more touches to the return man. The more touches he gets, the more valuable he is so why not make it a priority to get a dangerous weapon back there. Like you said, we haven't really had a good one since Je. Lewis despite having an elite defense for all these years.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:24 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
After losing out on Mathis, apparently we are considering playing Jah Reid at LG. It's an interesting idea but one I could definitely on board with. He's kind of tall for a typical guard, but he's strong, very physical and an excellent run blocker. Even if there's a bit of an adjustment period, if it means putting our 5 best lineman out there and no longer having a gaping hole at LG, I'm all for it.
Yeah there were rumors of that before the off-season even started. I'm not sure he's a good fit at guard in a zone blocking scheme. Drafting a rookie that fits the mold better would be a much better option in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I like it. One thing that I tend to gets overlooked is the value of having a great punt returner on a great defensive team. Reason being is simply that teams with top defenses cause other teams to punt more giving more touches to the return man. The more touches he gets, the more valuable he is so why not make it a priority to get a dangerous weapon back there. Like you said, we haven't really had a good one since Je. Lewis despite having an elite defense for all these years.
great point.

Also, aside from Ginn, who else has been rumored to be linked to the Ravens? This has gatta be one of the most borings FA periods as a Raven fan.

This time last year, we at least had Leach & Yanda locked up and we were working on getting Pollard in.

So far, no progress on Rice or Flacco and we have a huge hole at LG. Hopefully Jah Reid can help us out.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

The only free agents that I've read the Ravens have interest in are Mathis, Winston, Royal, and Ginn. With the first three guys already signed I would assume that they're looking at other options but the front office is keeping things pretty quiet like usual. The Pollard deal from last off-season pretty much came out of nowhere so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like that happen again. Come to think of it so did the one with Leach. I remember a report saying that there were four teams that he wanted to go to and the Ravens weren't one of them. There wasn't much talk of them getting Leach besides us fans wanting it to happen and then he just signed. With the limited cap space available I'm not surprised the team hasn't signed anybody early on.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:30 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ginn would at least give us a respectable option for a 3rd or 4th receiver. LaQuan Williams is nothing to write home about and Tandon Doss didn't make a catch last year. Obviously Ginn's most appealing ability is his return game but I think he could provide 15-25 catches as another deep threat. That number doesn't look big but it's great when you consider wideouts not named Anquan or Torrey caught a grand total of 8 passes last year.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:14 PM    (permalink
FSPH
Rookie

FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FSPH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Ginn would at least give us a respectable option for a 3rd or 4th receiver. LaQuan Williams is nothing to write home about and Tandon Doss didn't make a catch last year. Obviously Ginn's most appealing ability is his return game but I think he could provide 15-25 catches as another deep threat. That number doesn't look big but it's great when you consider wideouts not named Anquan or Torrey caught a grand total of 8 passes last year.
This!!! Ginn at least gives us a competent #3 WR and someone who can help with field position
Old 03-18-2012, 02:38 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I wouldn't want to sign Ginn and have to rely on him as a WR at all. Going deep is about his only useful skill and while that's nice I would rather have the 3rd receiver be a bit more well-rounded. Obviously that position was terribly unproductive last season but Ginn isn't going to solve anything.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM    (permalink
FSPH
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Quote:
I wouldn't want to sign Ginn and have to rely on him as a WR at all. Going deep is about his only useful skill and while that's nice I would rather have the 3rd receiver be a bit more well-rounded. Obviously that position was terribly unproductive last season but Ginn isn't going to solve anything.
It will solve our pr kr problem and who is out there that would be a better option?
Old 03-18-2012, 03:40 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPH View Post
It will solve our pr kr problem and who is out there that would be a better option?
This is the biggest thing. Having him be moderately productive as a 3rd wideout is a luxury given the recent history in Baltimore. David Reed cannot be counted on and there aren't any other decent options in the kick return game. Zbi is gone and wasn't great to begin with. As for the punt return game, Webb is too valuable to have back there, and no one else has proven they can do it. As a defensive team, we need a stud KR/PR guy, because 1) our offense's inconsistencies make short fields much more important and 2) the opposing team will be forced to punt by the defense giving more chances for plays to be made.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSPH View Post
I never said it wouldn't solve the returner problem, but Ginn is fairly useless as a receiver. Drafting a guy is probably the best bet with the limited cap space available. Free agents aren't the only way to solve a problem.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
FSPH
Rookie

Quote:
I never said it wouldn't solve the returner problem, but Ginn is fairly useless as a receiver. Drafting a guy is probably the best bet with the limited cap space available. Free agents aren't the only way to solve a problem.
So you think there is an opportunity for us to draft a #3 WR that will come in and do more than Ginn immediately? If so i agree but we need production now not in a couple years