Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 12-22-2013, 09:51 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First we need to look at re signing out players. I will start with the first tier of players Monroe, Pitta and Arthur Jones. All 3 are good above average players. I will say Pitta is the most important, then Monroe. I hate to say it but it looks like Arthur jones is gone. If we can re sign all 3 then that will be great. But I don't think we will be able to because we will need to remember Torrey and Jimmy Smith are coming up soon. Jimmy will make a lot if he keeps it up and Torrey will get a nice contract.

Then we get into the 2nd tier of FA in Ihedigbo, Daryl SMith and Jacoby Jones. All 3 have played better then I expected when we signed them. All are going to be 30+ as well so they are in their own group. This is tough because all 3 will probably get better contracts then we can offer. Im torn on how to rank the importance of these guys. Daryl Smith is the best out of the 3 but we also have the best depth at ILB so we could let him walk and be fine with Brown/McClain/Bynes. I love Ihedigbo but we have absolutely no depth at Safety if he left, and we have little depth at WR too. Lets say we can somehow squeeze in just Daryl Smith and I hate to think about that I love Jacoby.

I say we just let Oher walk I do have faith in Wagner from what I have seen in pre season

Now with our coaching staff I know people want Caldwell gone. I am un sure if we should let him go. He looked well in the super bowl run but predictable this year. I think we will give him another shot if I was the GM I probably would just tell him to be more aggressive.

With Pees he has coached very well also. I know he has been bland but not Mattison bad. I like him but personally I would like to see us make a move into the Jim Johnson 43. I like to study famous gameplans and I feel with the way the current league is going this is the best defense suited for NFL offenses. I say this because I feel with the current NFL an aggressive 43 is the best system available because everyone is attacking the gaps as opposed to taking up space. Plus some of our young pieces are built for that defense. Matt Elam can play that in box safety blitz role that Brian Dawkins played very well. Arthur Brown is built for a 43 too and he has shown blitzing skills and coverage skills. Jameel McClain can play the thumper blitzer up the middle and Daryl Smith can play SLB where he is a machine at. Brown main weakness is taking on blocks and with 4 guys infront of him. We will just need a true deep ball safety and eventually get some DT who can penetrate.

Now for the draft I just want us to do what Ozzie always does and go BPA. I know everyone wants to go for need but BPA has worked so well for us in the past. I am hoping we can get Haha Clinton Dix round 1 and the ASJ round 2. That is my dream first two picks.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:48 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

time to rename this here forum, sad to say.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:41 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we got a few more weeks.

BTW Im really starting to want Marqis Lee with our first. I like his ability to play the slot and run the shorter routes so when Castillo nearly gets Flacco killed he can catch hot routes.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
we got a few more weeks.

BTW Im really starting to want Marqis Lee with our first. I like his ability to play the slot and run the shorter routes so when Castillo nearly gets Flacco killed he can catch hot routes.
I'd rather like we did something to prevent Flacco getting killed :)

That said, I have 3 players in the 1. round I am really high on atm. Cyrus Kouandjio, Eric Ebron and Calvin Pryor. Pryor would probably be a bit of a reach, but trading back and grabbing him in the late 1. would be nice.

Still, Kouandjio is by far the guy I am most high on of the 3. Neither Evans, Benjamin, Matthews or Lee are guys I would be comfortable with in the 1. There are plenty of WR options in this years draft, so picking one of them who would likely fall to the 2. round would be ideal.

Also, I have a feeling Lee could be another Damian Williams, but that might just be the USC connection.
Dan#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:58 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lee is a lot more explosive than Williams was. I liked Williams a lot as potential replacement for Mason back then but Lee is definitely a superior player and prospect.

I'm expecting the team to take an offensive tackle in the first. You've gotta figure that they're going to really focus on upgrading the offensive line and that's the most likely way they're going to try and do it in my opinion. This looks to be a pretty good top-end offensive tackle draft but talented blockers don't tend to fall much. Talented receivers fall a bit almost every year and this draft looks to be deeper than any I can remember recently. There should be one of the top 8 or so guys around at their pick in the 2nd round. I have a feeling this is going to be a "Get Flacco Help!" draft.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

with this depth at WR I think it would be best if we can trade from 16/17 to the 25th range and grab Clinton-Dix. I think we grab a 3rd and a 4th if we do that. We should get good comp picks for Kruger/Ellerbe and something for Williams.

A guy we should really look at is Michael Campanaro for slot WR. Perhaps a RT to compete w/ Wagner and maybe depth on the dline.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:23 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the Ravens already have their slot receiver with Brown. If or when they draft a guy that can be a factor on the outside this year I would be pretty content with that group.

I'm not a fan of Clinton-Dix. To me he gets too much hype for being a member of the Crimson Tide and it's a pretty weak safety class too. I'd rather target a guy like Pryor a bit later on.

As for the compensation picks I'd guess that the losses of Ellerbe and Kruger will end up being 4th rounders. Ellerbe didn't get a big enough contract (a large factor in the compensation formula) to warrant a 3rd round pick since Grubbs' $36 million deal with the Saints only netted Baltimore a 4th and Ellerbe's deal was a little less than that. Kruger's deal was a little big bigger but I'd be surprised if the Ravens got a 3rd round for him. Williams is probably a 5th or 6th round pick. All three of those guys started every game they played in for their new teams so that helps Baltimore but their contracts will be the big determining factor.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dan#7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with what Coordinator just said. Brown can work the slot with guys like Mellette and Doss, while we could need a physical presence on the outside, although I'm not a fan of picking Evans/whoever who fits that profile in the 1. round. There are too many options on that position later in the draft.

I actually did a write-up on my thoughts on the safety position on a danish board, and I basically started with mentioning, that I am in no way on the HaHa bandwagon. I talked to a friend, who has also played safety for more than a decade and has done some scouting on the danish national team, and he agreed with my assesment on Calvin Pryor. Basically we see a guy just fit for the position. He makes clever decisions, stays agressive and take very good angles, there are a lot of things to like about the guy, and he would allow us to move Elam up in the box.
Old 01-15-2014, 09:59 AM    (permalink
BmoreBlackByrdz
Pro Bowler

BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BmoreBlackByrdz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

potential replacements for Caldwell? We reached out to Mcadoo but he signed with the Giants before we even got a chance to interview him.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Fingers crossed for Norv Turner.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:33 PM    (permalink
Dan#7
Rookie

Fingers not crossed for Kubiak
Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fingers not crossed for Kyle Shannahan.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

We interviewed Kyle shannahan should be interesting. I assume he would bring a west coast offense where pitta would excel
Old 01-15-2014, 05:51 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

The whole offense would excel in a West Coast scheme. Just about all of the players are a better fit for it.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:13 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

U think torrey smith would be best for it?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

In my opinion a truly effective Air Coryell system needs big down-field targets to be successful. Baltimore doesn't have anybody like that at receiver or tight end. Smith would probably be an effective threat in any system but just look at guys like Jackson and Maclin in Philadelphia. I'm not sure what type of offensive scheme Kelly runs but when Reid was there they both thrived (as did Jackson this year with Maclin out) and are somewhat similar to Smith as receivers. I don't think Torrey is a particularly good jump-ball guy and needs a more accurately thrown ball on those types of deep passes.

Flacco, even with his huge arm, doesn't throw a consistently good ball down the field. I think his arm is a lot more deadly on those short to intermediate passes where he throws it too hard and fast for defenders to catch up unlike those deep lobs. I think West Coast offenses tend to feature their back more in the passing game too (as opposed to a safety valve option) and with Rice that can only be a good thing. Pierce is a pretty good receiver as well.

Another thing to consider is Baltimore's commitment to Castillo and the zone blocking scheme. How many Air Coryell offenses run that? Not many good ones that I can think of off the top of my head. On the other hand most West Coast offenses do run zone blocking. Two candidates that Baltimore has had interest in interviewing or has interviewed are West Coast guys too. I think it's coming and I'm welcoming it with open arms. Hopefully it's not in the form of Brad Childress though.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

good point about Maclin and Desean in the WCO and the ZBS. Shannahan brings both WCO and ZBS I assume. His dad was WCO and ZBS but u cant run a WCO w/ RG3.

This got me thinking should we go offensive weapon for our first two picks? I say this because the WR class is loaded and there are some good TEs too. Torrey Smith and Marlon is the only guy we have under contract who is under 28 who has shown he can contribute. I think Pitta comes back IDK about Jacoby.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:17 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I think Newsome is going to commit this draft of the offense. Last offseason was dedicated to the defense in pretty much every way and that worked out pretty well but now the other side of the ball is what needs to be fixed. I think they definitely draft a receiver but a backup to Pitta could be found in free agency pretty cheaply. Jones is likely gone but even if that's the case only one receiver is needed - a guy to go with Smith and Brown. If they want to use Pitta as more of a slot receiver than a tight end going forward then taking a tight end high would make more sense. It's going to be one or the other though in my opinion. Both a high round wide receiver and a high round tight end isn't a need. Not unless Pitta isn't re-signed but I really doubt that happens.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:25 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

I don't think we should undervalue the ability to have 2 great TE's on the field with someone like Torrey Smith's speed on the outside and Rice having his shifty moves..

If we can get a guy like Ebron and have Pitta and Marlon Brown in the slot or outside depending on the formation... we would be very potent. All provided we have offensive line help.
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:30 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

My thing is at what point do you differentiate between the tight end and receiver? Lets say Mike Evans and Eric Ebron are available when Baltimore picks. I'm guessing Ebron is going to be more of a slot receiver than a true tight end in the NFL anyways so which guy do you go with? Is Ebron in the slot any more of a mismatch than Evans in the slot? I think Evans would obviously be outside most of the time with Brown moving into the primary slot receiver role but that's probably not a much different situation anyways. I just look at most of the highly rated tight ends these days as slot receivers because most of them aren't worth much as in-line blockers anymore.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:47 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd rather have Evans to be honest. I just prefer a big WR over a TE for our team. With Pitta coming back WR is my preference. I think the WR TE position is getting blurred a lot but even Jimmy Graham lines up inline sometimes. Evans would line up out wide much more than Ebron ever would.

It's looking like Norv Turner is going to the Vikings. I'd still be very happy with Kyle Shannahan or Kubiak. Both are a good OCs in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:43 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Lining up in-line and being effective in-line are two different things. Pitta's not even really that good of an in-line tight end and that makes me question why they would want to draft a guy in a similar mold with a high pick. I actually like Ebron as a prospect quite a bit and I wouldn't be upset with the Ravens taking him because of the different things he can do but I don't see it as very likely. Not over one of the top receivers at least.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 1h
Kirby Wilson was informed the Ravens plan to go in a different direction, per source. Hostler and Shanahan are the other finalists
Sounds like one of those two will be named offensive coordinator fairly soon. If Shanahan doesn't get the job and isn't interested in Cleveland he might be a candidate for Baltimore's quarterbacks coach. For what it's worth I want Shanahan as the offensive coordinator. The offense needs fresh ideas and a new look. I'd be pretty disappointing if Hostler got the gig.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:12 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I want kyle shanahan as well. I have a lot more faith in him over Hostler. Shanahan is young and has been on some good offenses. It's apparently down to only those 2 now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Reports are that the Ravens will make a decision tomorrow. Come on Shanahan. His offense should mesh well with Castillo's offensive line philosophy.