Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 03-17-2014, 01:26 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be smarter to get someone late in the draft or even undrafted. No need to spend anything on a free agent running back when he's going to be the third back and a special teams guy. I really doubt that anybody they bring in would take snaps away from Rice or Pierce in any situation though, even if they are designated a "power runner."
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:29 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Our 3rd RB is a fairly irrelevant player unless we have major injury issues. I'd think special teams would be important for who ever it is. I like Blount but I also think a undrafted guy would be cheaper and a better special teams player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ehhh Id rather have a more experienced guy as a #3 mainly because I think Rice will be suspended and Pierce is made of glass. But financially it would probably be better to get him round 4-7 then bring in a FA. We will see what ozzie wants to do with the remaining cap $
Old 03-22-2014, 05:50 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like we're moving Ngata back to DE and letting Williams take over NT. Impressive they already trust him enough to get significant snaps next year. Hopefully Ngata going back to DE can keep him a little healthier. He really has been dinged up lately.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Looks like we're moving Ngata back to DE and letting Williams take over NT. Impressive they already trust him enough to get significant snaps next year. Hopefully Ngata going back to DE can keep him a little healthier. He really has been dinged up lately.
Where are you seeing this?

If it does happen I like it if only for the fact that Williams is the nose tackle of the future for the team and getting him there sooner rather than later is probably best. At this point in his career I think Ngata is better suited for nose tackle but I don't think he's particularly better or worse at defense end either. Pees' two-gap scheme kind of helps in this situation.

With that in mind this should be what the defensive line depth chart currently looks like:

DE: Canty - Lewis-Moore
NT: Williams - Larsen
DE: Ngata - Tyson

Depending on how the team views Larsen that might be pretty close to what it looks like come opening day. Looking at it you might say depth is an issue but given who the team has activated on game-days the past couple of years they don't use too many defensive lineman anyways, especially since only two of those guys are out there most of the time when they're in their nickel 4-man defensive lines with Suggs/Dumervil/whatever pass-rusher at the defensive end spots. I'd still really like to get a quality rookie in as an eventual replacement for Canty (or Ngata?) but there are more pressing needs on the team and not everything can be filled immediately. Maybe another veteran is brought in on the cheap to provide insurance for Lewis-Moore but at this point that's about all I see happening.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:43 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

I caught it on rotoworld from espn. Sucks to see Jones leave but it's time to reload on the DL. Ngata and Canty need long term replacements. Maybe a guy in the top 3 rounds if the value is there.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 03-22-2014, 07:17 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

This is the excerpt from the article that it was referring to:

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-ra...-a-free-safety

Quote:
@jamisonhensley: Brandon Williams, a third-round pick from a year ago, will be given an opportunity for significant playing time this season. With defensive tackle Arthur Jones signing with the Colts in free agency, the Ravens could move Williams to starting nose tackle and shift Ngata to defensive end. Even if Williams doesn't get a starting job, he figures to play a big role in the defensive rotation.
Pretty much nothing other than speculation (which is all Hensley is good for anyways). I kind of laughed at the rotoworld post because it sounded like they thought Ngata has been at nose tackle for a long time when last season was the first that he saw extensive time there. Hopefully moving him back out to defensive end helps with his durability but I wouldn't count on it because he was getting dinged up frequently out there too.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love the Zuttah trade. Now we just need a FS so we can truely go BPA each round of the draft
Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

There are still some other holes on the roster besides free safety that I could definitely see them targeting. The Ravens have only added Steve Smith, Jeremy Zuttah, and Darian Stewart as new player to the roster from last season and they are/were definitely more than those guys away from being able to just go with the best player available regardless of position. Here's a rough depth chart I've been keeping updated:

QB: Flacco - Taylor - N. Stephens
RB: Rice - Pierce - Wood
FB: Juszczyk
WR1: T. Smith - Jones - Mellette - Sheppard
WR2: S. Smith - M. Brown - Thompson - Aiken
TE: Pitta - Furstenburg - Overbay
LT: Monroe - Mims
LG: Osemele - Shipley
C: Zuttah - Gradkowski - Jensen - R. Stephens
RG: Yanda
RT: Wagner - Reid

DE: Canty - Lewis-Moore
NT: Williams - Larsen
DE: Ngata - Tyson
ROLB: Suggs - McPhee - Hamilton
WILB: A. Brown - Bynes
MILB: D. Smith - McClellan - Bryant
SOLB: Dumervil - Upshaw - Simon
CB1: Webb - C. Brown
CB2: J. Smith - Jackson
FS: Stewart - Levine - O. Brown
SS: Elam - Miles - Trawick

K: Tucker
P: Koch
LS: Cox

To me left guard or right tackle is still clearly a need. I don't have faith in any of the young players at those positions to step in and competently start. They're solid depth with upside but the offensive line has to be fixed too badly to take that kind of gamble. Backup tight end is a fairly big need at this point too and that's something that actually matters quite a bit in Kubiak's offense. Another cornerback has to be added at some point given there's only four on the roster right now and it probably has to be a quality nickel. Jackson is another offense away from a 1-year suspension and Brown probably isn't someone you want as the third guy unless he's really developed.

Right now I kind of view wide receiver and defensive end as on the same level in terms of need. Neither is immediate but those are definitely areas I think the team could go with a best player available type of pick in the draft.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:19 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Biscotti said we are going to be looking for a 3rd CB w/ Graham leaving. I do agree we need to take one so he can create some competition w/ Jackson and Brown.

Harbaugh also stated they plan on keeping KO at LG.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens 3h
Harbaugh says the plan is as of now for Kelechi Osemele to play left guard.
I'd be shocked if they didn't add another quality offensive lineman that would change what that "plan is as of now." If they plan to commit to Kubiak's system, and getting Zuttah was a god indicator of that, they need to have somebody at left guard who can pull it off athletically. I don't think Osemele is that type of player and he would be a better fit at right tackle and a better option than Wagner there. All things being equal I would prefer Osemele to stick inside at left tackle but that's not the case.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

KO did say he prefers LG so we will see. That could be a smoke screen, remember last off season we tried to make him a LT for a while. With 4 top 100 picks anything is possible.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:28 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

I think Wagner will get a shot at RT but we also will grab another vet as a back up plan.

Harbaugh recently got a 1 year extension. I'm happy with that. He is a great coach and there is no reason to not keep him around.

They are already talking positive about extending Torrey and Jimmy Smith fairly soon. I love both guys so I'm happy they are already looking to extend them. I want to see Jimmy Smith do it again this year but he is really stepping up.

We're also still thinking about signing Owen Daniels. I like the fit as the #2 TE on a 2-3 year deal. He is a productive player in this offense and shouldn't be too expensive. I'd much rather sign him than bring back Dickson. I originally thought Dickson was an okay #2 but he really isn't good.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 04-03-2014, 04:21 PM    (permalink
asham27
Rookie

asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asham27 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like we signed Owen Daniels
asham27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Very good pick up if he stays healthy. We have a ton of depth for flacco now
Old 04-03-2014, 05:05 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice pick up. Now we just need a WR in one of the first two round of the draft, and we have a pretty damn good passing attack.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Yeah I can't wait for the draft. I hope we trade back we can still get a talented WR prospext but we can get a lot of guys who we can groom. Since there are so many junior in te draft there will be a lot of guys in rounds 4-6 that could have been 2-3 round picks if they went to sxhool
Old 04-03-2014, 07:51 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with you. There are a lot of scenarios, where I would like for us to trade down, and Ozzie have a proven track record of being able to do so.
I like the idea that you have mentioned several times about moving down, and getting Odell Beckham Jr. However, I am starting to worry, that he could sneak into the top 20. There seem to be an awfull lot of buzz going on about him. He might be the WR prospect who have boosted his stock the most in the pre draft process.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

If we want Beckham JR I wouldnt have a problem taking him at 17. Im torn between him and Cooks though. Kiper has us taking Cooks FWIW.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

I would definitly prefer Beckham over Cooks. I really like Cooks, don't get me wrong, he is electric with the ball in his hands. I would just prefer someone a little bit bigger personally. Even Beckham is slightly undersized for my liking (I'm a sucker for bigger WRs), he just plays so much bigger than his size would suggest, and is a much more complete WRs than most people give him credit for.
If we miss out on Beckham, his teammate Jarvis Landry would be a nice consolidation prize in the 3rd round.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Evans is very interesting because sending him deep as Flacco rolls out to his side and airs it out to him could be unstoppable. But overall Im concerned w/ his routes and quickness as a prospect in our system he could be effective. Currently I am leaning toward Beckham JR for like you said completeness but Cooks is such a threat. His routes aren't bad either.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:10 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

It would be a very interesting scenario, if Evans was available. I would lean towards him over Beckham, for the reasons you've stated. Let Joe chuck it up there, and let him go get it. The more I watch of him (Which is about 12 games, because i've spent way to much time, trying to watch Johnny Manziel..), the more I'm convinced that he'll be able to create decent separation. And the mismatch he would create size wise against 9 out of 10 CBs is extremely intriguing. Also, he is one of the best prospects this year, when it comes to coming down with contested catches.
If nothing else, he would be an awesome weapon in the red zone.
I agree, he is soft in and out of cuts, and his size will limit him when it comes to his agility. However, I still feel he has room to grow as a route runner. Would be interesting, what Bobby Engram could teach him.
I like to have a diverse group of WRs, and his skillset would compliment Torrey, Steve Smith and Pitta very well imo.
However, I do not expect him to slip out of the Top 10.

On another note, if we wait until round 3 or 4 to target WR, who would you guys like? As mentionend, I would love Jarvis Landry. I see some similarities to Keenan Allen last year.
I was quite hooked on the idea of spending a 4th rounder on Jared Abredderis, however, I've heard some rumours that he might have some issues with concussions, which scare me quite a bit.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

I love Landry too, I would take him round 3-4 also. Michael Campanaro should be in the mix there as well. He has big hands and is faster then expected.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:12 PM    (permalink
niel89
All-Pro

I love Evans, but I also love big WRs too. He is a no brained if he is there at 17. I'd be in favor of moving up if he slips out of the top 10. I just really don't want him to end up with the Steelers.

Quote:

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Yeah him and Big Ben are perfect.

In the mid rounds perhaps we take Abbredias. He seems like everything we wanted from Tandon Doss