Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A 5th should of been more then enough, a 3rd was robbery, asking for the swap of 2nd's to me show's Carrol really has no clue what he's doing. Could you have really wanted a guy this bad? Maybe he won't suck as a QB, but it's still overpaying no matter how you look at it.

Schaub had shown in some real games he was a viable starter, he had over 150 attempts and showed alot of poise when he was out there on the field, this is a complete gamble and it's almost the same price.

If Whitehurts is a total bust they are starting out on the wrong foot here, and if they draft Clausen this is an even dumber move. I expect Carrol to make more clueless moves like this one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

funny story: if you type 'whitehurst' into google image search, the first picture of charlie is on page two. Page one is full of random facebook pictures.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
MiWolves
Rookie

MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MiWolves is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe the Seahawks thought HEY HE WORKED WITH NORV TURNER FUTURE HOF
MiWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:37 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whitehurst will probably succeed as an NFL QB. He's definitely a better 'prospect' as a vet than the quarterbacks not named Clausen or Bradford, so from that perspective it's a justifiable trade.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What else was Seattle gonna do to find a potential long term QB? Hope that Bradford or Clausen is still on the board when they pick? That's a major gamble too. Pick some other QB later in the Draft? That's also a gamble. People are ripping the trade, but they can't offer a better solution.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly it's swapping 20 spots in round 2 and giving up a 3 next season to get a QB with some sort of NFL experience (even if it's not game experience) now, and still has some potential. It also gives them a year to evaluate the kid and see if he can give them what they need, especially since Hasselbeck is on his last leg. If he works as a starter, they got themselves a steal, if he doesn't, then they're likely picking in the Top 10 of the 2011 draft, which apparently some people around here feel could be the best QB draft since 83 (and maybe that's the way the Seahawks feel as well), oh, and they overpaid for their backup QB. All in all it's not a major risk to take, I don't see why everyone is going "zOMGz, Carroll's an idiot, Chargers are amazing!" when the Seahawks didn't give up all that much, even if it is for a completely unproven QB.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:53 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This reminds me of Scott Mitchell and Rob Johnson...minus the big money deals.

Can someone tell me why Whitehurst is so valued now compared to when he came out of college

Thank you Lebron James, you are truly a King Among Men.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
This reminds me of Scott Mitchell and Rob Johnson...minus the big money deals.

Can someone tell me why Whitehurst is so valued now compared to when he came out of college
This reminds me of (insert meaningless comparison that fits my argument).

Because he's a talented QB and Seattle thinks he has starting potential. He was valued enough to be taken in the third round. Now he has a few years of learning an NFL offense under his belt.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
Well he was valued as a 3rd rounder when he came out of college and now he has some seasoning. Subsequently, he was traded for a swap in the 2nd round and a 3rd rounder. Seems logical.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:01 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the swapping of second round picks should have been a deal breaker but what ever it wasn't my call I hope it works out for Seattle.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

No, Whitehurst is not talented- at least not talented enough for what Seattle gave up.

Let's use the most relevant evidence to see how good Whitehurst is- his only recent snaps in an NFL game, the preseason of this year.

He completed 56% of his passes(35/60), 2 TD's, 2 INT's, 3 Fumbles(2 lost)

Those are garbage numbers against garbage pre-season teams.

Whitehurst blows goats, and the people defending him or this trade are delusional.
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento View Post
No, Whitehurst is not talented- at least not talented enough for what Seattle gave up.

Let's use the most relevant evidence to see how good Whitehurst is- his only recent snaps in an NFL game, the preseason of this year.

He completed 56% of his passes(35/60), 2 TD's, 2 INT's, 3 Fumbles(2 lost)

Those are garbage numbers against garbage pre-season teams.

Whitehurst blows goats, and the people defending him or this trade are delusional.
Right, because preseason stats are the greatest indicator of player potential there is. Seattle needed a young QB and they got one who has a big arm, speedy legs, and years of experience working with the league's preeminent QB guru. Considering how bad this draft is for quarterbacks, it's not like they sold the farm.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Charlie Whitehurst commands more in a trade than Brady Quinn...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

So I guess the fact that Whitehurst was terrible in the preseason means nothing?

You can ignore or discredit the fact that Whitehurst was not good in the only meaningful game time he's had in a while, but that only really works if you're a river in Egypt.

Young? He's gonna be 28 when next season kicks off. Young QB's are in their early 20's.

and now he's got 2 years to show something behind one of the league's worst OL's and WR corps, and a shoddy running game to boot. good luck with that
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Ok yeah, that is a lot more. But at least with Schaub it looks like they made the right move and he had playing experience. This move seems a bit reckless.
If you remember Schaub was lighting it up in the preseason...then he had that three touchdown game against the New England Patriots in 2005. The cat was pretty much out of the bag with him. Whitehurst though...never heard any noise about him.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Well he was valued as a 3rd rounder when he came out of college and now he has some seasoning. Subsequently, he was traded for a swap in the 2nd round and a 3rd rounder. Seems logical.
Try to wipe the smile off your face CC. Arent there highway robbery laws on the books there in California?
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento View Post
So I guess the fact that Whitehurst was terrible in the preseason means nothing?

You can ignore or discredit the fact that Whitehurst was not good in the only meaningful game time he's had in a while, but that only really works if you're a river in Egypt.

His numbers aren't pedestrian in the preseason because he was a middle of the road guy. He sometimes looked great, sometimes chucked it all over the place. Seattle obviously targeted him and views him as a potential starter, and so did Zona. I'm pretty sure you didn't tune in for those ultra exciting Charger preseason matchups, so I don't know how you can diss this pickup.

I don't think they gave up all that much to be honest. A 3rd next year, some position this year. I'm happy to take it, from the Bolt perspective it's still something out of nothing, but let's not pretend like Seattle has banked their whole franchise on this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento
and now he's got 2 years to show something behind one of the league's worst OL's and WR corps, and a shoddy running game to boot. good luck with that
Wouldn't this be a problem for any QB that gets brought into Seattle?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Try to wipe the smile off your face CC. Arent there highway robbery laws on the books there in California?
I never thought we'd get value back for Charlie, it's true. But all the same I think he'll do okay for you guys. Most importantly it lets you spend those 1st rounders on guys who can make an instant impact.

I wonder if I'm biased because of the Carroll connection but honestly Seattle needed somebody in this spot and they could have paid a whole lot more for somebody a lot less capable.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:40 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'll admit I'm stunned. Whitehurst was terrible last time I saw him live (ironically - against the Seahawks). I had one too many, and booed him loudly. He never impressed in training camps that I attended either, so I don't know what they're seeing in him, at all. I really want to know which tapes they are looking at that lead them to believe he is worth the gamble. Reading over the comments page of the Seattle Times, fans seem pretty furious, and if they had seen what I've seen.....

Last edited by San Diego Chicken : 03-18-2010 at 02:42 PM.
San Diego Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 49ers approve of this trade.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Charlie Whitehurst commands more in a trade than Brady Quinn...

HAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
It's funnier that he'll bring in more than Cromartie.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn. I was one of those people who liked Whitehurst when he was coming out of Clemson. I thought he'd be as nice developmental prospect (and considering he just gave the Chargers back the same value pick that was spent on him, I guess he was for San Diego at least), but it was my impression that he had done **** all since entering the NFL. Not that I was expecting him to unseat Rivers or anything, but there must be a much higher opinion of him in NFL circles than his press and preseason performance would suggest.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
I'll admit I'm stunned. Whitehurst was terrible last time I saw him live (ironically - against the Seahawks). I had one too many, and booed him loudly. He never impressed in training camps that I attended either, so I don't know what they're seeing in him, at all. I really want to know which tapes they are looking at that lead them to believe he is worth the gamble. Reading over the comments page of the Seattle Times, fans seem pretty furious, and if they had seen what I've seen.....
I hope you didnt pay the 50 cents for the Seattle Times because i could have told you fans up here would be pissed.

Big picture you never know how these things turn out. Maybe the player they covet in the 2nd is still there for them 20 picks later and just maybe they dont take a QB in the draft and get a better one coming out next year.

Right now it smells but we'll know better come draft day. I think they could have got Whitehurst for less.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This sounds calculated, drop to the bottom of the second, ensure you've got someone even if Hasselbeck gets injured who can at least operate an offense for two years.

Draft a QB who should still be there bottom of the 2nd, to develop, who'll take a few years to develop. Tebow anyone?

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
lexpill
Rookie

lexpill hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

As a chargers fan gotta love it! we can now draft solid NT and HB or even steal a top player that slipped a bit out of the first round. Of course hawks fans gotta be wondering about this move until whitehurst shows what he can do. But it's nothing compared to what happened in denver last year, it's not that much of a risky move IMO.
They knew that senecca was clearly not the future and whitehurst gives them a pretty solid backup that might pan out (who knows?), and in the worst case he gives them sometime to groom a draftee.
lexpill is offline   Reply With Quote