Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be hard pressed to put a show above Breaking Bad, incomplete or not.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:03 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I have not seen The Wire (audible gasp, I know). But correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the show less serialized than Breaking Bad, which has essentially told one continuous story through all seasons? Tough to compare. No show will have ever owned a lone narrative like Breaking Bad, I have to believe.

Every TV critic/analyst says The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men and Breaking Bad is basically a four-way tie of greatness.
I've also not seen The Wire. Also haven't seen Six Feet Under or Carnival I'll get around to them at some point. It's also hard to compare shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire with shows like Arrested Development, Louie, Firefly, and Friday Night Lights.

I don't jizz all over myself about Breaking Bad the way some of you do, but it's up there. I can't really put it above Sopranos until I've seen the whole season.

Mad Men just isn't that great to me. It's extremely well-acted and does what it does damn well, but it just isn't captivating anymore. It lost that when Don Draper's previous life was exposed...which ended up not being a big deal.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Wire is a top 5 all time show for real. No idea why you guys haven't seen it.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:08 AM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I have not seen The Wire (audible gasp, I know). But correct me if I'm wrong, isn't the show less serialized than Breaking Bad, which has essentially told one continuous story through all seasons? Tough to compare. No show will have ever owned a lone narrative like Breaking Bad, I have to believe.

Every TV critic/analyst says The Wire, The Sopranos, Mad Men and Breaking Bad is basically a four-way tie of greatness.
I really need someone to explain why Mad Men is good to me. granted I didn't watch more than half the first season but it just wasn't that good. The other three I have no problem with agreeing to and I have to imagine Game of Thrones will soon join that set.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 AM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
The Wire is a top 5 all time show for real. No idea why you guys haven't seen it.
I still havent', but I plan on speedwatching through it during the holiday season in December...or try to anyway
Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It was on Netflix Instant at some point and was in my queue, then it wasn't. ******* Netflix.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothgar View Post
I really need someone to explain why Mad Men is good to me. granted I didn't watch more than half the first season but it just wasn't that good. The other three I have no problem with agreeing to and I have to imagine Game of Thrones will soon join that set.
The first 3-4 seasons are good. There's an element of intrigue with Don Draper's past and the constant bed hopping. There's also **** that goes down with the firm and some interesting office politics. I stopped caring about the show after Season 4, but might catch up at some point.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:31 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Watches Dexter week to week, needs to catch up on Mad Men and hasn't seen The Wire. Does not compute! Does not compute!

Old 08-26-2013, 01:35 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That episode was absolutely incredible. Walt's confession video was fantastic. Jessie finally calling Walt out on his manipulation was more fantastic. Then Jesse realizing Walt poisoned Brock was the cherry on top.

I have a hard time ranking episodes from this show but this would be at the top somewhere. Top 2 or 3 for sure.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 AM    (permalink
The Alex
Veteran

The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Alex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Bunch of plebs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlysac View Post
I heard that Sylvester Stallone wrote The Expendables with The Alex in mind. He had to keep it realistic though and split The Alex's abilities into multiple characters. Stallone thought that critics would pan it for being too far-fetched if he just had one character effing everyone up.
The end. Cut to black. Audience goes ****ing ape****.
The Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:50 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Watches Dexter week to week, needs to catch up on Mad Men and hasn't seen The Wire. Does not compute! Does not compute!
I already explained why I lost interest in Mad Men. There's not much of a point in watching it, but I'll give it a go again when there's no much else going on if for no other reason than I pretty much continue to watch shows to the end if I've completed 3 Seasons.

Once Netflix dropped The Wire from instant, there wasn't much of a rush to get to it. If I have to go more out of my way than SideReel or BTVGuide, **** goes on the backburner. It'll be on my media box once I have some time to work on getting it setup properly.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:31 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I totally get why people wouldn't be into Mad Men, but I love that show. It's not one that's really driven by big moments or shock reveals or anything like that, but more of a character drama with incredible production and acting. If you dont like it, whatever. I see no reason why someone can't be a fan of Dexter (which I dont watch anymore) while not caring for Mad Men.

In IRC we came up with a Mount Rushmore of modern TV (naturally we ended up with 5 instead of 4), and it was Mad Men, The Wire, Game of Thrones, Battlestar Galactica, and Breaking Bad. Pretty much everyone in there had seen them all and there was no dispute of those five shows from anyone.

I remember when I refused to try The Wire cause I didn't feel like watching "another cop show", sigh.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 AM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wow. The latest episode may be the best yet and that is really saying something.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:29 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Shield definitely needs to be on the Mount Rusnmore of TV. Nothing has ever topped that finale.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:33 AM    (permalink
Bert Macklin
All-Pro

Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bert Macklin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
The Shield definitely needs to be on the Mount Rusnmore of TV. Nothing has ever topped that finale.
The shield easily is on there.
"People are going to start respecting LSU...if you don't, we're going to hit you in your mouth."
Bert Macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:35 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really tried to like Mad Men. In the end I felt like I was only watching in because everyone else thought it was great and stopped. It's not a bad show by any means just wasn't for me.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mad Men is incredible and was neck and neck with Breaking Bad for a while IMO. Since season 4 though, BB has been on an unmatchable roll while Mad Men has gotten slightly worse, especially this past season.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:14 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
That episode was absolutely incredible. Walt's confession video was fantastic. Jessie finally calling Walt out on his manipulation was more fantastic. Then Jesse realizing Walt poisoned Brock was the cherry on top.

I have a hard time ranking episodes from this show but this would be at the top somewhere. Top 2 or 3 for sure.
And you didn't even mention that spectacularly awkward and loaded scene at the Mexican restaurant. That waiter intruding on the conversation was hilarious.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
No. Just no.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does anyone think it's possible that Saul and Walt were conspiring to have Jesse killed when they sent him off to the guy to get a new identity?

I only ask because it occurred to me last night that Saul's explanation of how the vacuum cleaner guy's disappearing service works didn't line up from the Crawl Space episode to this one. In Season 4, Saul told Walt that you call that number, leave a message and he'd call you back. Also that you wouldn't have any say in where he relocates you. None of those things happened last night. Saul talked to him immediately and told Jesse he'd probably have a say in where he went.

I've seen this idea furthered by people elsewhere on the Internet. I'm not sure if I buy this though. Perhaps it's just a case of continuity error. But after the Season 4 poisoning of Brock, aren't we all pretty well conditioned to expect a twist?

Last edited by Xiomera : 08-26-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

So many damn theories out there. People now suggesting that the flashforward scene at Denny's with the "52" spelled in bacon was not meant to signify his birthday, but rather one of the digits in his GPS coordinates.

I think there may be truth in this because it always seemed odd to me that Walt would get a fake ID that showed he was the same age as the real Walter White.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:02 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No. Just no.
How many times have you seen the finale? SIT YOUR WHITE ASS DOWN.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:56 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
I really tried to like Mad Men. In the end I felt like I was only watching in because everyone else thought it was great and stopped. It's not a bad show by any means just wasn't for me.
Same exact thing happened for me.

Quote:
Does anyone think it's possible that Saul and Walt were conspiring to have Jesse killed when they sent him off to the guy to get a new identity?

I only ask because it occurred to me last night that Saul's explanation of how the vacuum cleaner guy's disappearing service works didn't line up from the Crawl Space episode to this one. In Season 4, Saul told Walt that you call that number, leave a message and he'd call you back. Also that you wouldn't have any say in where he relocates you. None of those things happened last night. Saul talked to him immediately and told Jesse he'd probably have a say in where he went.

I've seen this idea furthered by people elsewhere on the Internet. I'm not sure if I buy this though. Perhaps it's just a case of continuity error. But after the Season 4 poisoning of Brock, aren't we all pretty well conditioned to expect a twist?

I think it's definitely a possibility. Walt definitely isn't one to leave open any loose ends, which Jesse is at this point. Also there isn't a whole lot of continuity error that happens on this show.
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

The main reason I dismiss that possibility pretty fast is that Walt and Saul had the perfect opportunity to just kill Jesse alone in the desert instead of going through all the theatrics.

But who knows.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:43 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

And now you guys see why I predicted for Jesse to be dead by the end of the season.

It has to go down.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote