Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerT1215 View Post
And now you guys see why I predicted for Jesse to be dead by the end of the season.

It has to go down.
I don't think there were many people resistant to the idea that Jesse would die. If you said he was going to die with four episodes remaining in the series, I think that would have drawn some naysayers.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:50 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I don't think there were many people resistant to the idea that Jesse would die. If you said he was going to die with four episodes remaining in the series, I think that would have drawn some naysayers.
A lot of people in here wanted to think both him and Walt would survive and go their separate ways in the end. It's just too easy to forget how much Walt has wronged Jesse (which came to a head last nite as we all saw), but there was no way the lies wouldn't catch up to Walt with Jesse.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't remember at all what happened in The Shield finale.

And Breaking Bad is not nearly as good as The Wire. Nothing is.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

No spoilers here please.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

Assuming this season closes well for BB, I think you are wrong and a lot of people agree.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:43 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Breaking Bad is an entertaining comic book with an edge. Extremely well done. But the people are caricatures and the point of the show is to entertain. It's amazing story telling, yes.

The Wire is a masterpiece with a brilliant original story, like Breaking Bad. But it's meaning is so much more important because it's grounded in a harsh reality. A modern day Greek tragedy. It's has way more layers is just a profound journey that cuts deeper and farther because of how real it is.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

You have succeeded in diminishing a hell of a lot of impressive components of Breaking Bad.

Breaking Bad blows other shows out of the water when it comes to cinematography, production and set design and music choices. Those things elevate the show's plot and character elements to even greater heights.

And I'm damn certain that Walter White's arc could be aptly described as a Greek tragedy.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:58 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I will admit to not being as interested in cinematography, production and set elements, and music as much as plot and story depth and meaning.

I suppose it's preference - but The Wire is as real as it gets. When you consider that PLUS the fact that it's an insanely well done and entertaining original story (right there with BB, which is intentionally a comic book with characters that only resemble real people), the whole package is incredible. It's a masterpiece unrivaled by any other TV show.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I flatly disagree with your suggestion that Breaking Bad lacks in story depth, plot and meaning, but I just wanted to make my point about the rest of those "secondary" elements of a great show.

Quote:
BB, which is intentionally a comic book with characters that only resemble real people
This is just an absurd suggestion, man. You're not watching The Walking Dead.

The Wire's hyper-realism doesn't equate to greatness for greatness' sake. It didn't strive to be a documentary, just as you say Breaking Bad strove to be a comic book.

Last edited by Xiomera : 08-26-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In general, I think BB characters have much more depth than the characters in The Wire.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:07 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well there are only like 5 characters that Breaking Bad really focuses on. The Wire had roughly 50 great characters.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Well there are only like 5 characters that Breaking Bad really focuses on. The Wire has roughly 50 great characters.
Yeah, and that is a massive part of what makes the Wire great, but that is not what gpngc is arguing.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:13 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Yeah, and that is a massive part of what makes the Wire great, but that is not what gpngc is arguing.
My point is that its a lot easier to create in-depth characters when you only have like 5 to focus on compared to a boatload of them battling for screen time. Not that im discounting the writing in BB at all, just something that came to mind when I read the character depth comments.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I think it's perfectly fine to prefer The Wire to Breaking Bad, but it's really not fair to say one is of greater quality than the other. The shows didn't strive for the same things. They aren't comparable in every way.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Well my point is that its a lot easier to create in-depth characters when you only have like 5 to focus on compared to a boatload of them battling for screen time. Not that im discounting the writing in BB at all, just something that came to mind when I read the character depth comments.
Absolutely and I wouldn't argue that point. It's just not the one he was making.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:18 PM    (permalink
ncst8fan83
Pro Bowler

ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ncst8fan83 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think I've ever seen a show of around 70 episodes feel like one big season. The first season was written like they already knew what was going to happen in the final episode. The storytelling aspect of this show is virtually unrivaled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Freeman
Titty sprinkles
ncst8fan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
It wouldn't shock me at all if they did that and left the rest of the time to the family.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

And, I love the Wire, but if you want to talk comic book.....
Old 08-26-2013, 06:25 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

There was no 5th season of The Wire. Hush Rob.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:31 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I DEMAND YOU ******* ASSHOLES WATCH THE SHIELD AND STOP THIS ********. Goddammit, where the **** is TACKLE? Someone summon his Jew ass.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I DEMAND YOU ******* ASSHOLES WATCH THE SHIELD AND STOP THIS ********. Goddammit, where the **** is TACKLE? Someone summon his Jew ass.
I do want to watch the Shield. Too busy at the moment though.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Doesn't the fact that Breaking Bad built to a ridiculous crescendo rather than failing to replicate the greatness of early seasons improve its standing as a series?

I'd argue yes.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM    (permalink
BallerT1215
All-Pro

BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BallerT1215 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sig by the King BK

Fear the Spear - Winston Era has begun....
Quote:
"I wasn't going to lose to Miami, no matter what," Freeman said. "It means a lot to go out there and beat them. Every time I get a chance, I want to destroy them."
BallerT1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:14 PM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My point is that its a lot easier to create in-depth characters when you only have like 5 to focus on compared to a boatload of them battling for screen time. Not that im discounting the writing in BB at all, just something that came to mind when I read the character depth comments.
while it is a fair point you also have to take into account that The Wire was an hour long HBO series where as Breaking bad is closer to 45 minutes of air time.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote