Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-21-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyisme View Post
sooo, you are saying you can only get star players in the top 10? the rediculous there are many star 2nd and 3rd round picks not to mention you can get quality starters in those rounds and most of the time a team is made up of a few stars and a lot of quality starters (new england only has a couple of stars, indy only has a couple of stars...hell their entire defense is made of quality starters...)

if we got another 2nd round pick and even a 3rd round pick and we ended up with 5 first day picks, id be all for that, we can get 5 top talent prospects with that at our area of need.
Where exactly did I say you can't get "star" players in the top 10 ?
I've said over and over you take TALENT wherever it is you pick.

You use N.E. and Indy as your examples of "only a few stars" which is entirely false. in fact I'm pretty sure those 2 teams have had the MOST talent over the past 6 years than any other teams in the league. Because Patriot and Colt players (well, everyone other than Peyton Manning) aren't doing Chunky soup or Nike or NFL Network commercials doesn't mean they aren't "stars". In fact one could make the point that Stars don't even mean production.....or production that translates to success.
We don't need "stars" on the Vikes to be productive, we need TALENT.
If we trade down when there's clear talent where our slot is ....the Vikes WILL continue this spiral in mediocrity until someone in the front office figures it out and breaks the cycle by overstepping whoever makes the draft day calls and demands we take talent over need.

With Carr being traded to Houston...there's now ZERO chance they trade up. The first 8 picks will sort themselves out by draft day...and even then there could be a few deals done within to slide in and exchange spots.
Cleveland right now is being rumored to have serious interest in Quinn...which would mean that the 1st round could very well go like this
1-Russell, 2-Thomas (or IMO Anderson) 3-Quinn 4-Johnson 5-Adams 6-Carriker which would leave Landry / Peterson / Okoye as the next best talents on the board. If the team feels like Sharper has 3 good years left then we take Okoye. Or trade down (especially to N.E. and work out a deal for both of their 1st round picks and perhaps a high pick next year and a 4th this year) ... after those 7 are off the board the talent to me really levels off. The talent for the rest of the first round and even probably into the mid 2nd is the same. A group of really good , yet not great, players.

However you can't just plug in a good player and think you'll get " a top 5 player". And right now....we're not in a good position to get one of the best players from this draft...so instead of overpaying at 7 ..if those 6 are all off the board, then I pray we trade down and start filling holes and look to next years draft to take the "superstar".
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
tylere0814

Well the new mock isn't much different, has us taking Landry instead of Anderson. Which is a plus.

But looking through the rest of the mock makes me wonder what we'd do different if put in the same situations.

First of all in the second round it has us taking Gonzalez again, however it has Justin Blalock going two picks after us. IF Blalock fell to us, we'd Have to take him with the way Marcus Johnson and Artis Hicks have played. And in the third it has us taking Hughes again, which i wouldn't mind... but there are a few intriguing players still on the board.... one in particular i wouldn't mind picking up would be Michael Bush. ESPN just reported that he'll be undergoing surgery and will be out at least another two months, but i think he'd help take some weight off of Chester's shoulders if we were to draft him. He can catch out of the backfield and he is a terrific down hill runner, and we could surely use a goalline back
Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i agree tylere, completely agree

i would hope the vikes take Landry and blalock in the first and second rouns, i really dislike gonzalez, that dude is going to bust big time.

in the 3rd round though, scott has jason hill going one slot after us, we should take blalock with out 2nd round meaning wed need a WR so we cane take hill in the 3rd and i think hill is a late first early 2nd round talent
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Landry, Blalock and Hill would be a very solid day 1 IMO.
However I'd still prefer to trade down and pick up a 2nd, 2nd rounder...(Jets / Tampa Bay / New England) or work out a deal for BOTH of N.E.'s 1st rounders (then take Griffin AND Bowe) but if that's not possible...then Landry is a solid choice.

If we ARE able to trade down and could pick up a 2nd 2, then we could grab a Bowe / Jarrett or Meachem in the 1st while still being able to grab Sid Rice or Aaron Sears (who'd make more sense because of his ability to play RT) , Tim Crowder , or Justin Blalock (any combination of those 2 would be outstanding) withour 2nd Then with our 3rd we could select between Brandon Mebane / Buster Davis or Joe Staley.
To me having 4 of these guys would help the team so much more than 3 will.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott's updated mock has us taking Landry, Gonzalez and Hughes. I like the first and third picks, but would rather have Sidney Rice over Anthony Gonzalez.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'd rather have Rice over Gonzales, too. I think Rice has more potential to be a #1 receiver. I'm not sure about Gonzales on the outside in the NFL. I think he is best suited to be a speedy slot receiver, and I'd hate to use a 2nd rounder on that. Plus, we already have Bobby Wade. I like Gonzales, just not that early and just not with Rice on the board.

I don't like how we are taking 2 defensive players with our day 1 picks. If that happens......man, our offense is going to be bad.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

yeah, but how much better is our offense really going to get by adding rookies?

i really like the idea of trading down as well then we could go offense with the first two picks...Bowe, Meachem, Jarrett then Just Blalock then we could do wahtever with the next two, if we grab bowe in the first, we could maybe grab his teammate Craig Davis witht he other to bolster the WR core, maybe pikc up a DE like Alama Francis add a safety like Weddle or Merriweather or a CB like Wright

thats why ive really started to like the idea of trading down, the best thing for the Vikes would actually to see quinn fall to us, because then something like that could happen, if there arent any players around, noone would want to trade up with us

id rather have
Bowe, Blalock, BPA, BPA on the first day then
Quinn, Gonzalez, hughes
Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

eh, QB isn't something we should be so quickly to disregard. Detroit has a long standing history (as does Cleveland) of being content with bad QB's on the roster and trying to bolster other areas....it hasn't worked.
The easiest "fix" right now is to draft a RT move one of the slobs to RG ...(they should all be hitting the weight room harder than Ike hit Tina) and take 2 Wr's in rounds 2 or 3 and 4 or 5. doesn't really matter to me as there should be good value in 3,4 and 5 with similar players there.
Plus I think it's a MUST that we end up trading for our #1. CJ isn't falling , we're not going to give up the farm to move up and even if we did we'd have CJ and who ? Bobby Wade ? Troy Williamson ?...it just doesn't look good.

My ideal scenario has us Drafting
Quinn round 1, taking
Aaron Sears round 2,
Tim Crowder round 3 (okay that might be wishing) or Francis (Hawaii)
then in round 4 take a Jason Hill, Paul Williams or Aundrae Allison,
round 5 grab the best remaining DT
round 6 take a D-back or BPA
round 7 whatever position we haven't addressed.

I'm not sure what exactly we have to give up for Chester taylor as far as a compensatory pick...and I can't remember if anyone else will have qualified that we picked up as a RFA.

Starting next year with Quinn / Hill (or other WR) and Sears PLUS a trade to bring a #1 reciever on the team would at least give me hope that we weren't totally screwin the pooch this entire off season.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:06 AM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

yeah, but there is a difference between having a crappy QB as the starter for his 3rd straight year and hoping that he finally gets it, and having a QB who has two starters under his belt and was drafted last year

now if Jackson started all season and it was his 2nd year and he looked completely lost and couldnt cut it and doesnt look that good, id be all on board for grabbin some insurance as to avoid the cleveland and detroit debacles, however, thats not that case and you cant just throw him to the floor, at least thats my opinion
Old 03-23-2007, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

You're failing to see the difference between a can't miss franchise QB and a guy who many see as a big arm , not much else guy...no matter where he was drafted or when.

Seriously you can't even compare the 2. Jackson is like a Fiat where as Quinn would be a Ferrari.
Old 03-23-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Ryche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post

If we ARE able to trade down and could pick up a 2nd 2, then we could grab a Bowe / Jarrett or Meachem in the 1st while still being able to grab Sid Rice or Aaron Sears (who'd make more sense because of his ability to play RT) , Tim Crowder , or Justin Blalock (any combination of those 2 would be outstanding) withour 2nd Then with our 3rd we could select between Brandon Mebane / Buster Davis or Joe Staley.
To me having 4 of these guys would help the team so much more than 3 will.
I love this plan. Meachem or Bowe in the teens in the first round, Blalock and Crowder in the second, a defensive back or another receiver if one slides in the third. I would be very happy with that draft day.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
tylere0814

I think all of us would be happy to draft Quinn... but the reality is that he's not gonna be there at 7. So we need to address other needs (since we have PLENTY OF THEM) Landry would come in and start right away, and Blalock in the 2nd round in my opinon would be an ideal fit (we dont need a WR here) because our lack of production from the right side of the line. In the third round we must look for BPA since we have so many holes. Hughes would be a nice pick, but we'll just have to see who's still available come the third day.

God is it April 28th yet? (which by the way is my birthday, so minnesota better not screw this up for me/us)