Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 10-30-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When they showed RichRod on camera near the end of the game, you could just tell that he was about to cry. I kind of feel bad for him since I don't think he fully knew what he was exactly getting into when he came here. But I think it is time to move on and go after Jim Harbaugh. The only game that we have a realistic chance at winning would be against Purdue and thats only because the have been hurt by injuries.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's time. Well, it was time after the Illinois loss last year, and it was time after the Purdue loss last year, and it was time after the MSU loss this year. But it's definately time. The Mgobloggers and their ilk can cry about how Carr left the program in ruins and how Rod just needs a little longer, but I'm sorry, it's over. Rod just clearly can't get it done at Michigan. Time to go after Harbaugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!

Last edited by ironman4579 : 10-31-2010 at 01:55 PM.
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:08 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In two games against KENT STATE and TEMPLE Penn State scored a combined 46 points. In one game against Michigan, with their backup quarterback, they scored 41 points.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Everyone ought to be rocking my sig right now.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nevermind I guess they have refuted the Greg Robinson rumor.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler

Last edited by Silver & Blue : 10-31-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:35 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
This. Is. Pathetic.

But Rod just needs more time, right?
He doesn't need more time. He needs less time. This is coming from a fan of his from more than 10 years ago.

When he first came to the Wolverines I was excited. I grew up a U of M fan but I went to Tulane. He was the offensive coordinator and Tommy Bowden was the head coach when we undefeated in my junior year (1998-9). After Bowden left for Clemson everyone wanted RichRod to get offered the head coaching position. Our defense wasn't the strong side of the ball and the offense was blowing everyone away. We had a horrible AD who went out and got Georgia's running backs coach, Chris Selfo -- needless to say we lost all momentum we had gained after in the bowden/rodrigues years when Scelfo was hired and now we are back to being bottom feeders but thats another story...

After he had success in West Virginia it seemed that he was legitimate and I was very excited when he signed with Michigan. But over the years all of my enthusiasm and optimism for the guy has waned. Personality aside, he is not winning. He has had time to recruit his guys, and still can't play with the middle of the pack, let alone the big boys. And the Michigan identity is missing completely. I'm sure if we were winning I wouldn't care but I miss, "beefy 300lb linemen, 4 yards and a cloud of dust, pro style 6-5 QBs, WRs wearing #1, Defensive linemen who clog holes, LBs who hit helmet to helmet on goalline stands, and putting 5-10 guys in the NFL draft a year."

Even if he beats OSU (highly, HIGHLY unlikely) I think he is done this year. Scratch that...HOPE he is done this year. Experiment failed. Harbaugh is #1, but if not him we need to find a pro-style coach who knows how to build a Michigan football team.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:13 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5752667

So basically RichRod is saying, "If I'm going down, I'm taking all of you with me."

I'm glad Dave Brandon will have a look at it at the end of the season, since he probably doesn't want to make it more messy then it already is.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-06-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Well, since we won this game we are finally bowl eligible and we will probably beat Purdue next week also. I just want to go on record just to say that I still think Harbaugh is a better coach and that opinion probably won't ever change. But we got lucky that Illinois' defense didn't show up today.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-06-2010, 03:11 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Basically that was nothing more than luck. I mean, I like to win of course. Unfortunately, this win may have saved RR's job. I too absolutely believe Harbaugh is the far better coach (and recruiter).

I will say this. If Rodriguez would just hire a DC, let him pick his own guys (by allowing to fire all of RR's buddies that he brought in), let him run his own defensive scheme, and just stay the **** out of his way, I might be willing to give him 2011 to see what he can do. If he's not willing to do that, get the **** out.

And if he doesn't get at least 10 wins next year, get the **** out again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
I will say this. If Rodriguez would just hire a DC, let him pick his own guys (by allowing to fire all of RR's buddies that he brought in), let him run his own defensive scheme, and just stay the **** out of his way, I might be willing to give him 2011 to see what he can do. If he's not willing to do that, get the **** out.
Amen to that. That is one of the things I hate most about RichRod. RichRod was never a defensive oriented coach, so I don't know why he thinks he should be involved in it in the first place.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-06-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can we demote RichRod to offensive coordinator and hire a real coach?
Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Can we demote RichRod to offensive coordinator and hire a real coach?
I was actually thinking about that a couple weeks ago. That way we would be able to keep the spread, but we would be able to get a real head coach. RichRod would never do it though.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-06-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

RichRod is the new Matt Millen.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

as bad as the defense still is, some of the young guys like Vinopal, Avery, Demens, and Roh now at DE instead of LB showed signs of being solid players.

Still not in Rod's corner, but I will agree that if we get a DC (GRob or other) and let them do their own thing, I'd be more forgiving. Or you know keep people at one position.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

RichRod doesn't have a strong recruiting class coming in. I see no reason to keep him.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

This recruiting should be better then it is. Hopefully if we win against Purdue Michigan will start looking better to recruits. Since winning and program stability sounds like recruits biggest concerns. For example, Deanthony Arnett didn't have us listed because he was concerned about our record. But since we have a winning record he is looking at us a lot more now. He actually visited for the Illinois game today and people that saw him said it looked like he was having a good time. One recruit I want right now is Hasean-Clinton Dix. It would be nice if Dee was able to convince him to come to Michigan since we need a natural safety back there. I'm getting sick of this LB/S hybrid crap.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-07-2010, 10:41 AM    (permalink
srv fan
Veteran

srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.

I am super frustrated with Rod as well, but my main concern is what coach is going to give us the best chance to win in 2011 and beyond. And while this season (actually, the past 3 years as a whole) have been incredibly frustrating, the offensive buzzsaw RR has built* means we are an average - not even good, just AVERAGE - defense away from being a national title contender in 2011. We already have one of the best offenses in the country, we lose almost no one, and we bring in one of the top RB recruits in the country to fill literally the ONLY offensive weak spot. Auburn and Oregon are going to play for the BCS championship with that exact formula of unstoppable offense and okay defense. Given that, I think our chances of success by firing almost everyone on the defensive coaching staff, spending major $$$ to bring in proven d-coordinators and position coaches, and having Dave Brandon tell RR to shut the **** up and let them do what they want are a lot higher than getting rid of RR and spending the next 3 years reshaping our personnel to fit a pro-style Harbaugh team. One year turnarounds from awful to average defenses can and have been accomplished from coaching changes. Koening at Illinois and K-State, Shafer at Syracuse (/facepalm), etc. If we can make that happen, we are in great shape for the future.

I have no particular love or hate for RR, I just want to see us be good again.

* don't even try to use the "it's just Denard" argument. Without RRs system, without RRs coaching, without our massively improved offensive line, and without the major improvement our receivers have made, Denard isn't OMG DENARD OMG and we aren't number 2 in the country in yardage per game. Obviously Denard is tremendously talented, a great kid, hard worker, etc. but he and RR are symbiotic. RRs offense doesnt work without Denard, and Denard can't be a QB in anything other than a run-based spread.

- Vince Lombardi

Last edited by srv fan : 11-07-2010 at 10:54 AM.
srv fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

We lose offensive lineman. I don't think RichRod has brought in anyone that's any good on the OLine.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:27 PM    (permalink
srv fan
Veteran

srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.srv fan could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
We lose offensive lineman. I don't think RichRod has brought in anyone that's any good on the OLine.
I said we lose "almost" no one. Schilling and Dorrestein are gone, that's it.

RR hasn't brought in any good offense lineman?! Omameh and Lewan are already good starters, and have years left to get even better. Out of guys who don't get playing time yet (which isn't a sign they're bad, or that they're good; lineman typically need more time to physically mature and develop than other positions, so the jury is still out on them):

Christian Pace: 3 star, #7 center nationally
Michael Schofield, 4-star, #18 OT nationally
Quinton Washington, 4 star, #8 guard nationally (probably will switch to d-line)
Will Campbell: 5-star #3 DT nationally (probably will switch to o-line, where hewas recruited by literally everyone in the country)
Ricky Barnum: 4 star, #5 center nationally

Recruiting rankings aren't perfect and you can drudge up examples of guys being over or under rated, but they are fairly good for assessing aggregate talent. RR is consistently bringing in high quality OL recuits, and as I mentioned two of them are already good, so there's some evidence to suggest they're developing well. If there is one position group where you can't say RR has failed, it's o-line.

DBs and LBs... that's a whole 'nother story, and if/when he gets fired that will be the reason. We have so little talent and such horrible coaching at those positions its frightening.

- Vince Lombardi

Last edited by srv fan : 11-07-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I refuse to believe RichRod has recruited well enough to keep a job. We have no defense.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:43 PM    (permalink
srv fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post

And if he doesn't get at least 10 wins next year, get the **** out again.
Agree, except for the RR choosing the coordinator part. He clearly has demonstrated he is not a defensive coach and does not have the capability to assess defensive coaches' competency. RR has lost the right to have a say in who will be the new DC; Dave Brandon should pick one, and if RR doesn't like it, tough luck. He already ran off the best defensive coordinator we've had in recent years (Shafer) by micromanaging him and making him run completely asinine schemes.

- Vince Lombardi
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
srv fan
Veteran

Quote:
I refuse to believe RichRod has recruited well enough to keep a job. We have no defense.
Hard to argue with the no defense part, and firing RR is definitely a legitimate option that a lot of people also share.

I just think that it's easier to improve the defense than it is to reverse 3 years of radical personnel and scheme changes and risk falling into the Notre Dame zone.

- Vince Lombardi
Old 11-07-2010, 02:15 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv fan View Post
Hard to argue with the no defense part, and firing RR is definitely a legitimate option that a lot of people also share.

I just think that it's easier to improve the defense than it is to reverse 3 years of radical personnel and scheme changes and risk falling into the Notre Dame zone.
You don't necessarily need a radical change on offense. You need a different head coach that runs a spread offense.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM    (permalink
srv fan
Veteran

Quote:
You don't necessarily need a radical change on offense. You need a different head coach that runs a spread offense.
... and is a good defensive coach, or one who brings along a great defensive staff. Otherwise, there's no difference between that, and keeping RR but overhauling the defensive staff; we'd still be an explosive offense with an awful defense. How many run-spread coaches are as good offensively as RR, AND consistently turn out >average defenses? Not many.

I still think it's way easier, less disruptive, and has a higher chance of success to poach good defensive coaches and graft them onto Rodriguez's staff than it is to completely change coaching staffs.

I thought you were a Jim Harbaugh fan, anyways? He's about as pro-style as they come. And I do think he's a good coach, but there's no way we would get through that transition without massive turmoil for a year or three, and like I said before I think that puts us dangerously close to ND territory.

- Vince Lombardi

Last edited by srv fan : 11-07-2010 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I want Harbaugh, yes. I am not saying I prefer to bring in a new spread coach, but it works well enough for me.

It's not like RichRod is a really good coach when it comes to game management and making adjustments. He's got a lot of flaws.