Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 11-07-2010, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rod hasn't been a great recruiter (way to willing and eager to offer kids who aren't Big 10 quality too early) but he has brought in talent. They have to get better development, but they aren't horrible
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:54 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srv fan View Post
I thought you were a Jim Harbaugh fan, anyways? He's about as pro-style as they come. And I do think he's a good coach, but there's no way we would get through that transition without massive turmoil for a year or three, and like I said before I think that puts us dangerously close to ND territory.
I've never really bought this argument. Going from a spread to a pro style offense is far easier than going from pro to spread, especially RR's spread, which is known to be extremely complicated. You've also got to watch some Stanford games. Yes, Harbaugh is a pro style guy. However, he adapts to the players he has. Stanford has thrown the ball far more this year with an experienced Andrew Luck than they did last year. Hell, they've rolled out the read option on occasion.

Stanford's offense this year is far closer to a Patriots or Colts style offense than a Lloyd Carr offense.

I also think people seem to believe that just because we had mass transfers when Rod came in, we'll have them with any coaching change, which is just not the case. Plenty of coaches come in and don't lose 15-20 guys to transfer. I think it's a leap to suggest that would happen (not saying you are, just that always seems to be part of the argument).

Finally, we absolutely have the players to run a pro style offense (again, not that you're saying that, but that again is always part of the argument against a coaching change. Devin Gardner is prototypical size for a pro style QB. We have two running backs that are 6'0" + and over 200 pounds. Even Dee Hart will likely be 200 pounds by the time he gets on campus. We have plenty of big, fast wide receivers. And I'm pretty sure big, athletic linemen can play in any system.

About the only key offensive guy I could see having trouble is Denard, and yeah that sucks. But he's also a fantastic athlete. Even if he can't win the QB's job (and let's be realistic here. He's already said he wants to be a QB in the NFL, and he'd have a better shot if he was in a pro style offense) he good enough to be a Reggie Bush/Dexter McCluster type of guy. You make sure he gets 15-20 touches a game at RB/WR/QB/KR/PR and watch him go.

Ideally, you hire a top DC, let him choose his own coaches, tell Rod to stay the hell away from him, and see what you get in 2011. However, if Rod isn't willing/able to do that, I don't think we'd have a tremendous problem in switching to a pro style offense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:24 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the entire defensive staff is fired and Dave Brandon hires the new defensive coordinator and lets him hires his own assistants, I will give Rod one more year. Anything short of that and I want him gone.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dee Hart jumped up in Rivals rankings from 40 something to 17 and is the highest ranked 4* player in the country, and will probably get a 5* when all is said and done.

3 other Michigan recruits who have been gaining a lot of steam are Dellonte Hollowell (only real knock is he's small), Brennan Beyer, and Kellen Jones
Old 11-08-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
If the entire defensive staff is fired and Dave Brandon hires the new defensive coordinator and lets him hires his own assistants, I will give Rod one more year. Anything short of that and I want him gone.
That is pretty much what I want. RR was never a defensive orientated coach, so I don't know why he is pushing his own assistants onto a defensive coordinator who knows much more then RR about defense. I think Scott Shafer left Michigan because of RichRod's defensive assistants.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott Shafer left Michigan because Rod forced his ****** assistants and ****** scheme onto him and then threw him under the bus when things went bad. It's no coincidence that Syracuse has a much, much better defense than we do despite having less than half the talent that we do.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:13 PM    (permalink
tonykart
Rookie

tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.

Why do people want to give Rich Rod one more year? What has he done to deserve it? His draft classes are getting progressively worse. Our best players are still Lloyd guys or life-time Michigan fans (free recruit).

Rodriguez has done the impossible... he has taken a 10 win a season football team, the winningest program in NCAA history, and made it an absolute joke.

Our linebackers: Ezeh, Mouton, Roh and Fitzgerald aren't a bad group. But, under Rich Rod they are some of the worst on the planet. The frightening this is this: If we are this bad with above average talent, imagine how terrible we will be when Rodriguez' recruits start to play at LB. How many 210 pounders will Big Ten RBs trample the next few seasons.

Fire this loser now. Let him go gimmick out on some second rate school. Bring in Harbaugh or Miles (who should have been brought in three years ago) and lets get back to what Michigan used to do best... win.
tonykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM    (permalink
tonykart
Rookie

tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.tonykart could make a wolverine purr.

[quote=ironman4579;2370382]About the only key offensive guy I could see having trouble is Denard, and yeah that sucks. But he's also a fantastic athlete. Even if he can't win the QB's job (and let's be realistic here. He's already said he wants to be a QB in the NFL, and he'd have a better shot if he was in a pro style offense) he good enough to be a Reggie Bush/Dexter McCluster type of guy. You make sure he gets 15-20 touches a game at RB/WR/QB/KR/PR and watch him go. [quote]

I agree with the other paragraphs, but I chose to respond to only this one.

The hell with Denard as a QB. What did he do against a good team? Nothing but throw pick after pick. Denard is a WR/RB tweener. He is not durable enough, big enough, or smart enough to play as a QB in the NFL. And who cares about that anyways?! All I care about is Michigan winning, and this Michigan team is not good enough.

Bring Harbaugh in, struggle for another year and watch how quickly we start to play better... just watch. Watch what happens when we have a coach who can recruit, and who can manage the three facets of the game.

I know everyone is terrified about a coaching change. How scarred do you think those four-toothed hicks to the south were when they hired a guy from Youngstown St? College Football is all about coaching. Right now we have an offensive coordinator coaching an entire football team.

Please Michigan fans, don't buy into the "improvement" mumbo-jumbo. Please don't confuse a team that is better with a team that is good.
tonykart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:26 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=tonykart;2387422][quote=ironman4579;2370382]About the only key offensive guy I could see having trouble is Denard, and yeah that sucks. But he's also a fantastic athlete. Even if he can't win the QB's job (and let's be realistic here. He's already said he wants to be a QB in the NFL, and he'd have a better shot if he was in a pro style offense) he good enough to be a Reggie Bush/Dexter McCluster type of guy. You make sure he gets 15-20 touches a game at RB/WR/QB/KR/PR and watch him go.
Quote:

I agree with the other paragraphs, but I chose to respond to only this one.

The hell with Denard as a QB. What did he do against a good team? Nothing but throw pick after pick. Denard is a WR/RB tweener. He is not durable enough, big enough, or smart enough to play as a QB in the NFL. And who cares about that anyways?! All I care about is Michigan winning, and this Michigan team is not good enough.

Bring Harbaugh in, struggle for another year and watch how quickly we start to play better... just watch. Watch what happens when we have a coach who can recruit, and who can manage the three facets of the game.

I know everyone is terrified about a coaching change. How scarred do you think those four-toothed hicks to the south were when they hired a guy from Youngstown St? College Football is all about coaching. Right now we have an offensive coordinator coaching an entire football team.

Please Michigan fans, don't buy into the "improvement" mumbo-jumbo. Please don't confuse a team that is better with a team that is good.
I probably should have been more specific. I really couldn't care less what position Denard plays. Realistically, he won't be playing QB in the NFL, so he'd actually be better off moving now. My only point was that IF he happened to be the best QB on the team, then I'd think most people would want the best player to play.

And I really don't think anyone is saying Michigan is a good team. In fact I know most, if not all Michigan fans on this board are not fans of RR and are under no delusions that this team is good. Based on results, this team is still far closer to the bad teams in the conference than the good ones (barely beating bad teams, getting rocked by good/decent ones).

Quote:

Old 11-27-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sad thing about this is that OSU could have easily put up 60+ points on us. Also, gentlemen may I present to you, Jim Harbaugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL0C4dT3-pU
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-27-2010, 02:55 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

It looks like the Texas Bowl or TicketCity Bowl for Michigan. Missouri, Baylor, Texas Tech, and K-State look like possible opponents for Michigan. I think Rod is gone regardless, but I think a big blow-out win is needed in the Bowl game in order for Brandon to even consider the possibility of keeping him.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
It looks like the Texas Bowl or TicketCity Bowl for Michigan. Missouri, Baylor, Texas Tech, and K-State look like possible opponents for Michigan. I think Rod is gone regardless, but I think a big blow-out win is needed in the Bowl game in order for Brandon to even consider the possibility of keeping him.
yeah it's becoming more and more clear that Brandon wants Rod gone. I think he genuinely was willing to give Rod a shot, but the fact we aren't even competitive against Penn State, OSU, and Wisconsin let alone not beating them or Sparty (or Iowa) is too much for a true Michigan man. That and the alumni don't want Rod.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:19 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Just came across a VERY interesting rumor about the coaching situation.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-shannon-out-miami

It makes sense if this ends up being true because I think RichRod would do better in the ACC then in the Big Ten. I just don't know if everything would happen this quickly.

-Bo Schembechler

Last edited by Silver & Blue : 11-27-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:37 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver & Blue View Post
Just came across a VERY interesting rumor about the coaching situation.

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/ot-shannon-out-miami

It makes sense if this ends up being true because I think RichRod would do better in the ACC then in the Big Ten. I just don't know if everything would happen this quickly.
I would cry from happiness if this actually happened.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2010, 12:32 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

The "well connected" alum, sounds like he knew about the firing of Randy Shannon at Miami before it even got out. So either he can predict things very well or he truly does have great (and legit) inside information.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-28-2010, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
I would cry from happiness if this actually happened.
so I watched The Game today with an OSU fan and he said that the Rod hire reminds him a lot of the Bill Callahan hire at Nebraska. In a lot of ways I see the comparisons.
Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

It will really be interesting if that rumor goes the way it was said. Because if all of this does happen exactly how it was said, then that would be a very smooth transition for us. Miami gets RichRod and we get our guy Harbaugh, it is almost too perfect

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-28-2010, 12:59 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
so I watched The Game today with an OSU fan and he said that the Rod hire reminds him a lot of the Bill Callahan hire at Nebraska. In a lot of ways I see the comparisons.
I absolutely see the comparison. About the only differences I see are that Rod had success at the college level prior to taking the job, and that Callahan actually had some success at Nebraska. Hopefully Brandon is smart enough to get rid of Rodriguez before it ends up like Callahan's last season at Nebraska.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2010, 01:03 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironman4579 View Post
I absolutely see the comparison. About the only differences I see are that Rod had success at the college level prior to taking the job, and that Callahan actually had some success at Nebraska. Hopefully Brandon is smart enough to get rid of Rodriguez before it ends up like Callahan's last season at Nebraska.
If Brandon doesn't get rid of RichRod (since it is the perfect time too and finding a coach is all about timing) then I will start questioning his abilities. I know he wants to see progress and not wins and losses. But I can tell you for a fact that this team has taken a big step back defensively and we are still seeing the same mistakes committed by this team that we did three years ago.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-28-2010, 01:07 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
If Brandon doesn't get rid of RichRod (since it is the perfect time too and finding a coach is all about timing) then I will start questioning his abilities. I know he wants to see progress and not wins and losses. But I can tell you for a fact that this team has taken a big step back defensively and we are still seeing the same mistakes committed by this team that we did three years ago.
Brandon's big thing is not doing what most new ADs do and jump the gun. I can almost promise you there will be some type of changes to Michigan's coaching staff, but I don't know what all the changes will be.

The Big thing with Brandon is he is a former Michigan player and a graduate so he knows what the school wants
Old 11-28-2010, 01:16 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Quote:
The Big thing with Brandon is he is a former Michigan player and a graduate so he knows what the school wants
But it also seems like most of the school (and fans) want Harbaugh. Hopefully Brandon will make the right decision, so for now I will put my trust in him.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-28-2010, 01:28 AM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
But it also seems like most of the school (and fans) want Harbaugh. Hopefully Brandon will make the right decision, so for now I will put my trust in him.
well another rumor is that Rod will be gone by Monday
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Quote:
well another rumor is that Rod will be gone by Monday
I thought that rumor was dismissed by Dave Brandon a couple of days ago.

-Bo Schembechler
Old 11-28-2010, 01:31 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Brandon's big thing is not doing what most new ADs do and jump the gun. I can almost promise you there will be some type of changes to Michigan's coaching staff, but I don't know what all the changes will be.

I don't really consider it jumping the gun when he hasn't even managed a .500 season in conference yet. If you can find a coach who ended up being elite without posting at least one .500 in conference season in his first three years, I'd love to see it, because I haven't found one yet.

I'm not saying it can't happen, but it would be almost unheard of since at least like the 1960's.

Quote:

Last edited by ironman4579 : 11-28-2010 at 01:33 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:37 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

He hasn't even been able to beat a big ten team that finished with a winning record. So he is 0-12 right now on that.

-Bo Schembechler