Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-05-2011, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

from what I've read, still haven't given up on Harbaugh yet but he's still a long shot.

Sounds like Brandon would love to hire Les Miles, but he's having trouble getting support from a bunch of people for that hire.
Marino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefoot...verines-010711

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:53 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well it looks like Jim Harbaugh is officially off the board. Still a mystery to who we are going after.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i heard rich rodriguez is available

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
i heard rich rodriguez is available
I'll take him.... as an OC.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6012465

Quote:
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan picked San Diego State's Brady Hoke as its new football coach on Tuesday, hours after LSU said Les Miles would be staying in the Bayou.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Marino13 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not for sure, but here is the RUMORED Brady Hoke Coaching Staff (again RUMORED)

OC- Al Borges
DC or Secondary- Jon Hoke
QB- Scot Loeffler
RB-DeAndre Smith
WR- Erik Campbell
TE/ST-Dan Ferrigno
DL-Keith Gilmore
S&C-Aaron Wellman

Once again, this is all based on rumblings, but it sounds VERY VERY likely that Forrigno, Gilmore, and Smith are coming
Old 01-11-2011, 09:53 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Awww, if so, I'm going to miss Fred Jackson's hyperbole. "This guy is like a combination of a faster Barry Sanders, and a more powerful Earl Campbell!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think every Michigan running back is the best running back that Fred Jackson has ever coached.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:42 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, super early depth chart for next year. This is probably more my preferred depth chart than what I think will actually happen.

QB- Devin Gardner, RS Freshman
RB- Michael Cox, RS Junior
FB- John McColgan, RS Senior
WR- Junior Hemingway, RS Senior
WR- Darryl Stonum, Senior
TE- Kevin Koger, Senior
LT- Taylor Lewan, RS Sophmore
LG- Ricky Barnum, RS Junior
C- David Molk, RS Senior
RG- Patrick Omameh, RS Junior
RT- Mark Huyge, RS Senior

DE- Ryan Van Bergen, RS Senior
DT- Mike Martin, Senior
DT- Quinton Washington, RS sophmore
DE- Craig Roh, Junior
SLB- J.B. Fitzgerald, Senior
MLB- Kenny Demens, RS Junior
WLB- Kellen Jones, Freshman
CB- Courtney Avery, Sophmore
CB- Troy Woolfolk, RS Senior
FS- Carvin Johnson, Sophmore
SS- Marvin Robinson, Sophmore

Do everything RB/WR/QB/KR/PR- Denard Robinson, Junior

Ok, so some of these guys have switched positions, but I guess I'm kind of hoping they get switched back.

First off, yes, I don't have Denard as the starting QB. If you watch SDSU's offense (and Auburn's 13-0 offense etc) I don't think Denard is accurate enough, especially on the deep ball, to run it effectively. Gardner on the other hand throws a beautiful deep ball. Denard could be a Heisman candidate as a do everything type guy. I'd love to see him get about 20+ touches per game in various ways. Get him in space and he's deadly.

The RB position could be any of a number of guys. Mike just happens to be my favorite back on the team. I could easily see it being Hopkins, Toussaint, Shaw, or even Denard.

I have Roundtree competing with Odoms as the slot. I just can't stand Roundtree. He drops way to many passes, isn't all that fast, and really isn't great going up to get the ball either. I'd prefer if he wasn't a starter.

Left guard could be Barnum or Elliott Mealer IMO (or possibly even Will Campbell, although I'd love to see him switched back to DT). Barnum's probably better in space, pulling, etc. but Mealer has the size and strength.

Right tackle seems like it could be Huyge or Michael Schofield. Again, Huyge has the size, but Schofield is probably more mobile. Schofield will be starting at some point, it just might not be right away this year.

At NT, I'd love to see Will Campbell get a shot, but we'll see. Depending on how he moves at 320, this could also be Richard Ash.

LB's tough. Demens will get the start in the middle. The other two are up for grabs. I think Fitzgerald will get the first look at SAM. I really like Kellen Jones as a prospect, so that's why he's in at the WILL. It could easily be any of a numbers of guys (Cam Gordon comes to mind).

The secondary is tricky. I loved Carvin Johnson as a safety, but he got moved to Spur/Bandit/whatever it was. I'd love to see him get moved back. I don't like Vinopal back there very much. Marvin Robinson got moved to LB, but I;d much rather see him back ther than Kovacs (yes, I know, Kovacs does play his ass off, I just don't think he's nearly athletic enough). Hell, Woofolk could go back to FS. The CB's could be a bunch of guys.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

if you haven't seen Hoke's PC you gotta look for it.

1. He refused to say anything other than "That School in Ohio"
2. That game is personal
3. You can see how much love he has for the school
4. Denard is staying
Old 01-12-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was impressed. Very personable guy it seemed.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Al Borges IS the new OC
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Al Borges IS the new OC
Who is he? I'm not familiar with the name.

And is Denard really returning? I read he had no comment.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

http://detroit.sbnation.com/michigan...diego-state-to

Sounds like Borges has tons of experience with a team in just about every division but mostly PAC-10. His time with Auburn overlapped their 2005 13-0 season if I'm not mistaken.

I like it.

EDIT: He coached Cade McNown into a good QB at UCLA. I think that speaks volumes.

Last edited by tblain1 : 01-12-2011 at 01:50 PM.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post

according to teammates he is.

Borges was OC at Oregon in 95, spent a few years coaching Cade McNown at UCLA, coached at Indiana for 2 years before going to Auburn. He is a West Coast Offense guy (or as he calls his offense the Gulf Coast Offense) that was fired from Auburn because Tubberville wanted to go to a spread.

Borges is seen as a very good offensive mind, but his recruiting his not his strong point

Last edited by Marino13 : 01-12-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

This little exchange from the press conference made me laugh. At this point I think I'm in love with Brady Hoke:

Sharp: Brady, you said your goal was to win Big 10 titles. What about national titles? Shouldn't that be the focus...

Hoke: No.

Sharp: of your program? For a national program like Michigan?

Hoke: No. We want to win Big 10 titles. You can't win a national title if you don't win your conference title.

Sharp: But isn't winning a conference title sort of a consolation prize?

Hoke: I have five Big 10 Championship rings and 1 National Championship rings. And they ALL matter. They all matter. You can't win a National Championship without winning a conference championship.

Sharp: So the goal is winning a national championship?

Hoke: I didn't say that. I want to win Big 10 titles. Multiply. Consecutively. I just made that word up (multiply). I'm like that. I'm good at Scrabble.

Quote:

Old 01-12-2011, 03:38 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see the headline of Drew Sharp's column in tomorrow's paper: "New Michigan Coach Doesn't Want To Win National Championships."
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Staff notes...

As mentioned Al Borges will be the OC. Decent hire.

Also coming from SDSU are S&C coach Aaron Wellman which means no Barwis. I like Barwis as much as the next guy, but Wellman sounds impressive.

Jeff Hecklinski is coming as well. Hecklinski was RB coach and recruiting coordinator, but he has also been WR coach and QB coach in his career so we will see where that goes.

Dan Ferrigno was expected to come, but sounds like he is staying at SDSU. The only other SDSU guys expected to come over are OL coach Darrell Funk and LB coach Mark Smith.

Freddie Jackson HAS been rehired to Hoke's staff.

Soup Campbell is expected to be offered the WR coaching position, but it is no promise he leaves Iowa (but he does want to come back to Michigan).

Vance Bedford is the favorite to be DC
Old 01-14-2011, 07:08 AM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marino13 View Post
Staff notes...

As mentioned Al Borges will be the OC. Decent hire.

Also coming from SDSU are S&C coach Aaron Wellman which means no Barwis. I like Barwis as much as the next guy, but Wellman sounds impressive.

Jeff Hecklinski is coming as well. Hecklinski was RB coach and recruiting coordinator, but he has also been WR coach and QB coach in his career so we will see where that goes.

Dan Ferrigno was expected to come, but sounds like he is staying at SDSU. The only other SDSU guys expected to come over are OL coach Darrell Funk and LB coach Mark Smith.

Freddie Jackson HAS been rehired to Hoke's staff.

Soup Campbell is expected to be offered the WR coaching position, but it is no promise he leaves Iowa (but he does want to come back to Michigan).

Vance Bedford is the favorite to be DC
Yea, I'm glad Fred's back. It's just not a Michigan football season without a little Fred Jackson hyperbole. I'd also love to get Soup back in the mix. I was upset he wasn't retained originally.

Quote:

Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
Newbs24
Rookie

Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.Newbs24 is a cocksman.

I would like to pass on Bedford for someone like Teryl Austin. I think Vance has been given too much credit for being on Strongs defensive staff.

Don't think Jon Hoke is coming. Said that he always wanted to coach in the NFL and since he is there, why would he want to leave. Could be lip service since the Bears are in the playoffs, but I don't think he is going to be on the staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermario86 View Post
Stanton will be a pro bowler his 5th year book it.
Newbs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:45 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6035187

Greg Mattison hired as DC.
Last job: DC for Baltimore Ravens.

I am loving both coordinator hires.

Also Fred Jackson was the only RichRod coach retained.

Last edited by tblain1 : 01-19-2011 at 09:48 AM.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Now they can have the recruiting pitches of, "join us and learn how to play Baltimore Ravens style defense." "Do you want to play with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed son? Well learn our defense and you may be able to take their place some day?"

Just leave out the name of Rex Ryan.

Huge hirings though. This is going to be one tough, well coached team.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-26-2011, 02:25 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

If you haven't done it yet, you guys should watch the interviews with the new coaches on mgoblue. The best way to describe it is they all "get it".

My one friend pointed this out, with Rod and his staff they basically came in and said "We are the darlings from WVU who have been blowing people away in the Big East for the last several years. Who are you?" They never truly understood Michigan or the Big 10. The new guys have embraced it.

I know guys like Hoke and Mattison have loved Michigan for a long time and have been a part of the family, but the others get it.

Ferrigno coached under Jack Harbaugh and said that every since going to a few of the Michigan football camps, he always wanted to be in Ann Arbor.

Borges and Mattison talked about adapting to the players, because no matter how good a scheme is, it won't work if the players don't fit.

Hecklinski... man after listening to his interview I love the guy.

Plus, they all seem to love to recruit. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seemed like the only guys who recruited in the previous regime were Gibson, Tall, and Frey (and of course Jackson, but he was already here). I've read so many things about Hoke, Hecklinski, Mattison,Funk, and Smith have all been actively recruiting.

These guys get it
Old 02-02-2011, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Marino13
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Have we signed anyone?????

Looking at the ESPN 150 and it is very ugly.
our class is respectable with how little time Hoke had to recruit. There were some nice pickups, and there were some average players. But this wasn't really like Rod's old strategy of offering unknowns with little to no D1 offers (no disrespect to Carvin Johnson, Drew Dileo, or Ray Vinopal) or picking up a bunch of slot WRs.

Now the rumor is we have our final two coaches. Rumors are Illinois CoDC/Secondary Coach and former Wolverine player will be named our secondary coach, while former Iowa Hawkeye DT Scotty Montgomery (who was the DL coach at Wyoming and had been hired to be DT coach at Indiana) will instead become our DL coach.