Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Houston Texans Team Forum

Houston Texans Team Forum Discuss the Texans

Old 10-24-2009, 08:26 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Draft Thread

Some might think it is too early for a draft thread, but I thought it might be late enough in the season to start one.

At this point, I would say safety would be a strong possiblitily. This is a good year for safeties, all things being equal. But what about running back?

I loved the Steve Slayton pick, and I think he is a nice player. But his fumbles are becoming a liability. What about drafting a runningback in the second or third?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/afte...man/1114044540
HEISMANHERSCHEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:37 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say safety and cornerback in rounds one and two, we really need help with our secondary it's absolutely atrocious. Then I would say our offensive line is what really needs help. We've got some decent pass blockers, but we need people who can open up holes for the running game.

We could definitely use a running back who fumbles less, but that seems like a luxury pick to use in the first round. Fumbling is an easily correctable problem, Tiki Barber had bad problems with fumbles early in his career.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:57 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 18th pick, at least for now, is a tough spot because the two top safeties will be gone and the two top DT's will also be gone. Joe Haden could also be gone by that point too but I wouldnt mind if he was since I have yet to be able to jump on his bandwagon. We will have to go with best player available most likely since our biggest needs seem to be the biggest needs of the top few teams as well.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:03 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.HEISMANHERSCHEL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say right now that I will be upset if the texans dont make the playoffs. I am completely okay with the Colts game. They barely got beat by a really good team. That is a good sign.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:31 PM    (permalink
HorusKing
Rookie

HorusKing hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Look to me running back and offensive line has to be our top priority because the running absolutly sucks and I had my choice the players listed below would be my picks in the first 3 rounds.

#1 - Jahvid Best - Running Back - Perfect fit in the zone blocking scheme.
#2 - Perrish Cox - CB - Ok. St.
#3 - Jeremy Graham - TE - Miami - With our TE going out it hurt the offense bigtime and we had no replacement
Old 12-10-2009, 11:57 PM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

After watching the Colt's game very closely I have changed my opion. I am not sold on defensive backfield. I am gonna go out of the box for a second.

First round-quarterback. I have no idea who will be considered a first round qb yet. I would lean to Colt McCoy, but only because he is in-state. Which is a horrible reason to draft someone (see Charles Rodgers over Andre Johnson for the Lions.) But right now I would take a shot at a quarterback, all things being equal.

Second round-defensive tackle. I have been intrigued with Boo from Wake Forrest. Not sure how he will stack up once the chips are down. But when I have watched him he has been good.

Third round-running back. There are always good backs in the third round.

This is way ahead. There is no way to tell what will be going on at draft time. But as it sits right now, this is where I would be looking.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:56 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEISMANHERSCHEL View Post
After watching the Colt's game very closely I have changed my opion. I am not sold on defensive backfield. I am gonna go out of the box for a second.

First round-quarterback. I have no idea who will be considered a first round qb yet. I would lean to Colt McCoy, but only because he is in-state. Which is a horrible reason to draft someone (see Charles Rodgers over Andre Johnson for the Lions.) But right now I would take a shot at a quarterback, all things being equal.

Second round-defensive tackle. I have been intrigued with Boo from Wake Forrest. Not sure how he will stack up once the chips are down. But when I have watched him he has been good.

Third round-running back. There are always good backs in the third round.

This is way ahead. There is no way to tell what will be going on at draft time. But as it sits right now, this is where I would be looking.
If it were me I wouldnt go QB. I would try do whatever it takes to get either Taylor Mays, Russell Okung, or Dez Bryant. Our redzone offense is horrendous so it would be nice to have another option other than AJ. Not to mention Dez could always help out on special teams since Jacoby has decided he would sleep in and miss the bus to the airport. Our secondary is bad too and it would be pretty sweet to reunite Cushing with Taylor Mays. We would have some really hard hitters at each level. Our OL has been pathetic as well and especially at run blocking. Slaton, Moats, or Brown barely get any running room.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

The season is over now. I am watching top tier teams play and I notice that every team has one thing-pass rushers.

I hate to say it because a lot of money has been spent over the last few years. But improving the pass rush is a must. I have watched a little game film and it seems to me that with the exception of mario, there is no dominate defensive lineman. I would take the best DL available. Until the DL is improved, this team will hover around .500

So what do you guys think??

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 AM    (permalink
Clayton89
Rookie

Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.

Its a shame this is a bad year for corners because that is by far our biggest need. Both lines can use an influx of talent so thats another path if we go safety i would really like Earl Thomas out of Texas just because he fills the need for a rangy playmaker in the secondary and could go around where we pick in the first. Matt Schaub can play, he has some bonehead plays but hes a pro bowler i dont even know why that would even be considered to be honest. And as an avid Miami Hurricanes fan I would be extremely pissed if we waste a draft pick on Jeremy Graham this guy can not catch a cold seriously he had so many huge drops this year its not even funny.

Edit: Perrish Cox would actually be a really great pick if we can get him in the 2nd
Old 01-22-2010, 06:33 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The season is over now. I am watching top tier teams play and I notice that every team has one thing-pass rushers.

I hate to say it because a lot of money has been spent over the last few years. But improving the pass rush is a must. I have watched a little game film and it seems to me that with the exception of mario, there is no dominate defensive lineman. I would take the best DL available. Until the DL is improved, this team will hover around .500

I think if we are in a spot to pick up a good DT we have to do it. Although Smith looked like crap and acted like a idiot for most of the season, the last 4 games or so he was very impressive and it helped our D a lot. Not sure if that will carry over to next year or not. I think Barwin will keep getting better. But Amobi is pretty close to being a bust, and Cody is a back up, unless we can get someone in FA i think the first pick has to be DT
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I think the biggest upgrade we could get on the line would be a coach. Bill Kollar is known too rely a ton on speed. Hence our smaller DTs. Our techniques aren't really well developed on the line and we have little success with conventional collapsing of the pocket. The Giants just fired their D-line coach. I would be all over him like white on rice in the middle of a snowstorm. Don't see that happening though so I can't see us bringing in a DT that can collapse the pocket and free up our guys. It's my belief that Kollar was fired from Buffalo because of his inability to utilize Marcus Stroud.
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Texans resign Dunta.

I'm not sure about the 1st round pick. I like the RB Spiller, but I doubt that he will be there when the Texans pick. I don't like any other RB's right now for the 1st round.

I've heard good things about that DT Brian Price from UCLA, but I have no idea if he is good enough to draft at the Texans 1st round spot.

I really like that OG from Idaho, but do you take a OG in the 1st?

I say just take the best player available at the spot. Maybe WR Dez Bryant or FS/CB Earl Thomas. I don't know.

How about this
1st WR Round Dez Bryant
2nd DB Chad Jones LSU
3rd RB Toby Gerhart Stanford
4th Best DT available
5th Best OG available
Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Clayton89
Rookie

Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.Clayton89 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I hope the Texans resign Dunta.

I'm not sure about the 1st round pick. I like the RB Spiller, but I doubt that he will be there when the Texans pick. I don't like any other RB's right now for the 1st round.

I've heard good things about that DT Brian Price from UCLA, but I have no idea if he is good enough to draft at the Texans 1st round spot.

I really like that OG from Idaho, but do you take a OG in the 1st?

I say just take the best player available at the spot. Maybe WR Dez Bryant or FS/CB Earl Thomas. I don't know.

How about this
1st WR Round Dez Bryant
2nd DB Chad Jones LSU
3rd RB Toby Gerhart Stanford
4th Best DT available
5th Best OG available
other than resigning Dunta I would be pretty happy with that. Were a passing team so RB in the first would be kind of pointless. Price is pretty good but I don't think hell be a first rounder. Mike Iupati is pretty nasty and a good offensive lineman is never a bad pick. I'm a pretty big ravens fan as well and a couple of years ago we drafted Ben Grubbs in the first and like you I kinda questioned the pick but let me tell you its pretty nice not having to worry about that position for the next decade. If Dez Bryant is there when we pick that is pretty great value for probably the biggest playmaker in the draft but like I said earlier I like Earl Thomas alot and would be pretty happy with him in our defensive backfield.

Last edited by Clayton89 : 01-24-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Clayton89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:11 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you guys be interested in Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, or Brandon Graham if the top safeties and corners are off the board?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cunningham06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Would you guys be interested in Dan Williams, Sean Weatherspoon, or Brandon Graham if the top safeties and corners are off the board?
No to Dan Williams, I do not like his value in the first round. I really like Spoon, but our LB's were the best part of our defense last year, so that pick would surprise me. Brandon Graham I could like though, his lack of size is a concern, but he was a beast at the Senior Bowl.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Brandon Graham would be best in a 3-4. Obviously his Senior Bowl performance speaks a lot to his ability to play against top talent, but I don't think the Senior Bowl tackles were really up to par with the best talent in college this year, much less the NFL. He came into college as a big middle linebacker recruit and I think he is best used like Lamarr Woodley in a 34. But still I wouldn't mind if we picked him up, even if it is a reach at our pick. He's just a great football player.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Texas Homer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I like Weatherspoon and Graham A LOT as prospects, but I think the Texans are already set at those positions.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:51 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Homer View Post
I like Weatherspoon and Graham A LOT as prospects, but I think the Texans are already set at those positions.
You're really happy with Antonio Smith at the DE spot opposite Mario? He's got the ability to be a solid DE, I just feel like he doesn't care and is horribly inconsistent.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:19 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cunningham06 View Post
You're really happy with Antonio Smith at the DE spot opposite Mario? He's got the ability to be a solid DE, I just feel like he doesn't care and is horribly inconsistent.
We have Connor Barwin at DE as well to go along with Antonio Smith.

I think Brandon Graham is best suited for a 3-4 defense and the Texans run a 4-3(just my opinion).

Yes, I do think though that the Texans really need to find a way to get more pressure on the QB.

Last edited by Texas Homer : 02-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Texas Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
datchapin
Veteran

datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.datchapin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott has us taking Price, the DT in his mock. What do you guys think about Price?
datchapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Texas Homer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchapin View Post
Scott has us taking Price, the DT in his mock. What do you guys think about Price?
I don't know much about him or DT Dan Williams or the Penn st. DT for that matter.

I've heard that Price is a 1st round talent, but I'm not going to lie....I'm skeptical of taking another DT in the 1st round(Right or Wrong)....and I know DT is a position of need.

What do y'all think of Price?
Old 02-18-2010, 01:24 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

I like price. If there is one thing we need I would say that need is a disruptive DL. Price at number 20 is too high, but that is what we need. Oh...the draft.

It so so hard. I think Price is just what the doctor ordered. But on the other hand, he will be there ten picks later. If not twenty. At this point I am saying trade down a few and take him a few spots later.

It is fun to see my comments during the season. Oh how they have changed. DL is a must, unless unbelievable value falls at another position of need.

Untill the DL is upgraded, nothing else matters IMO.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:01 AM    (permalink
jjmt2500
Rookie

jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jjmt2500 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All along i have been for taking a DT with the first pick, but im just afraid of failing once again at DT. The more I think about it, i would kinda like to see us take Maurkice Pouncey. I like our OTs, but C and G need help. I really dont like Myers. Then 2nd round look at DT or S, i dont think that RB is that big of a need(we are a passing team). It was so annoying listening to Kubs talk all season long that we need the running game to work, it didnt and we had one of the best offenses in the league. I would hate to see us going away from passing as much as we did last year and Pouncey would help give Schaub a few more seconds to throw.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:58 AM    (permalink
HEISMANHERSCHEL
Veteran

fix the DL!!! Please!!!!

Someone else get on here. We need more people. We don't have enough opinions on this team site!!!

Anyway-looking at what is available, I am not against taking a safety. Problem is I hate taking a safety this high. I also hate taking ANOTHER DL this high. I don't like taking a small running back this high. I don't want to take another TE, althought that may be the best value.

Best player available at our pick is probably a TE. But no thanks. According to Wright's draft, give me Thomas. Damn it. I hate taking a safety this high!!! I need more input.

The draft is not far away. I need more opinions!!!! Someone give an opinion already....

Old 03-18-2010, 12:20 AM    (permalink
cunningham06
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I have nothing against taking a safety high, they have one of the lower bust frequencies of any position. If we took ET I'd be ecstatic, he is exactly what we need. An Earl Thomas Bernard Pollard duo would be pretty nasty.