Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-30-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
I'd def. take Floyd....no question but, I would pay big moeny to see this one...I hope it goes down.

Me as well. I want the Hatton supporters to back the **** down.
Old 06-30-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just watched Holyfield vs. Savarese and it was actually a really good fight for heavyweights. I think Evander could make some noise. He probably can beat two outta the four title holders. He looked really good tonight.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarSean View Post
I just watched Holyfield vs. Savarese and it was actually a really good fight for heavyweights. I think Evander could make some noise. He probably can beat two outta the four title holders. He looked really good tonight.
What was the outcome?

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:33 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What was the outcome?
10-round decision for Evander.

Sig by Primetime21
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
10-round decision for Evander.
Thanks, Max. I never heard how he won...

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Evander picked the right time to come back. HW division is TERRIBLE.

With that said, none of the 4 guys that are holding the title are easy to beat and Evander is a shadow of his former self.

I'm not so sure he can win the title.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 07-01-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

David Haye is the future at HW after he beats Mormeck at Cruiserweight. :D

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
BufFan71
Pro Bowler

BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BufFan71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if holyfield is coming back, i think it'd be a good time for Golota to come back
Old 07-01-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SugarSean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Thanks, Max. I never heard how he won...
Yeah, it was a UD for Holyfield, but he knocked down Savarese like 3 or 4 times. He shoulda ended it in the fourth, ninth and tenth rounds. He dominated.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

meh......holyfield is whatever. I dont think he can beat any of the titleholders, and i pray he doesnt bc i KNOW he will delay unification to hold onto that belt.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
David Haye is the future at HW after he beats Mormeck at Cruiserweight. :D
I love watching him fight.....

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm rooting for Williams, b/c I don't really like Margarito. I think he's overrated. I think this is gonna be a great test for Williams, b/c I would like to see him be the next huge superstar in the sport. I don't know what it is about him, maybe it's how he says yes sir and no sir in all his interviews that I like about him. He seems really polite, humble, confident, cocky...everything. Then he's got the right style and frame to be able to conquer every division up to 160. Maybe 168. I don't know, but when you watch him in interviews and stuff he just comes off as a guy that you wanna root for. I can't say if I think he'll win against Tony, but I HOPE he wins.
I dont know if williams will be as effective when he goes up in weight. Look at his main strengths, he has enormous reach, and throw a ton of punches, with only a little above average power. Now, when he goes up he loses his reach advantage to some extent and become, imo, a light puncher at MW. Then all he has is a less important reach advantage and his ability to volume punch., At 160+ I think Williams is a slightly more skilled, slightly more powerful, bigger version of Kassim Ouma. That is respectable (I think he could make a respectable 160), but I dont ever see him dominationg. People dont realize how much Williams gets hit, he gets hit as much or more than Cotto. If he goes up in weight, well, Paul Williams better have a chin on him.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I dont know if williams will be as effective when he goes up in weight. Look at his main strengths, he has enormous reach, and throw a ton of punches, with only a little above average power. Now, when he goes up he loses his reach advantage to some extent and become, imo, a light puncher at MW. Then all he has is a less important reach advantage and his ability to volume punch., At 160+ I think Williams is a slightly more skilled, slightly more powerful, bigger version of Kassim Ouma. That is respectable (I think he could make a respectable 160), but I dont ever see him dominationg. People dont realize how much Williams gets hit, he gets hit as much or more than Cotto. If he goes up in weight, well, Paul Williams better have a chin on him.
I've only seen maybe three or four of William's fights to be honest. When I say that I think he'll be the next big thing, it's mostly because I like him. Not really because I think he's the truth. We'll see how he fairs against Margarito. Only one week left. Can't wait.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well, Wlad got his revenge against Brewster, as expected.

I hope he fights the winner of Ibragimov-Chagaev next.

Sig by Primetime21
Old 07-08-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
Well, Wlad got his revenge against Brewster, as expected.

I hope he fights the winner of Ibragimov-Chagaev next.

Me too.

10 char
Old 07-15-2007, 01:49 AM    (permalink
SugarSean
Rookie

Paul Williams looked impressive tonight. He is gonna be pretty damn hard to beat at 147. I didn't think it was possible to throw that many punches for 12 rounds straight.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:16 AM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It was painfully obvious that it was coming, but it's still sad to see him go. Thanks for the great fights Gatti. One of my favorite athletes of all time. I can't think of how I want to describe him, but we all know how big his heart was and he is one of the better sports figures that comes to mind.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 AM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
meh......holyfield is whatever. I dont think he can beat any of the titleholders, and i pray he doesnt bc i KNOW he will delay unification to hold onto that belt.
I don't think he would stand a chance, most fighters who go the distance, are either against a great opponent or over the hill imo, holyfield is the latter.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Paul Williams looked impressive tonight. He is gonna be pretty damn hard to beat at 147. I didn't think it was possible to throw that many punches for 12 rounds straight.
He sure did!!! I thought Williams held most of the fight, Id say at least the first 5-6 rounds at least. Margarito came on at the end, and looked as if he was gonna take it, but Williams did what he needed to win. Williams is a true champ and a classy winner. He deserved that. Margarito is a big b**** baby, and has no class. He lost the fight. I dont care what he says, he didnt take a round until half the fight was over. All he has to do is complain now.

SugarSean I agree with you on what you said about Williams earlier. I like him and his style. I hope he does well. I mean hes doing very well right now, but I hope that this title is the first of many great things.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wanted to see Paul Williams win just so i can see Mosley fight Cotto. Now that will be a very interesting match up.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:30 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Paul Williams looked good, but god damn he is a *****. He throws his punches with what seems like no conviction, and just gets by on volume punching. One thing I hate in a fighter is not showing a desire to finish a fight, Williams doesnt have that imo. As someone who has trained, that makes me lose a ton of respect for him Plus, he was clinching a lot, which I cant stand. Yes he looked amazing, yes he is a very, very good fighter, but I hate his style.

Last edited by Rob S : 07-15-2007 at 01:34 PM.
Rob S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

I am really excited about a potential Shane Mosely Cotto fight. I think Shane may be a bad style matchup for Cotto, but I also think Shane may be a tad overrated. Now, hear me out. Since his losses to Winky it is my opinion that Shane has been protected. He has fought low level fighters with the exception of Collazo (I considered Vargas to be done, and we have to remember Collazo was injured). I mean, I have no problem with Sugar being top 10 p4p, he belongs there, but I just question whether or not he is still the dynamic fighter he once was. The fact is that we wont know until he gets in there with a great opponent, Cotto will be that guy. Now, on paper, Mosley's speed and pretty good power should be the perfect recipe to beat Cotto. But, has Mosely lost some of that? I dont know. And even if Mosely is still a great fighter, will he be able to deal with the amazing heart, and vicious body punching of cotto? Cotto will get tagged, but when he does that left hook to the liver will be right there after he gets hit. If Cotto is able to get to Shane's body I could see Shane losing that speed and power in the 2nd half the fight and see Cotto walking him down as he does all of his other opponents. All in all, I see this as a total pick em fight and one that I am pumped, albeit a bit scared, about. War Cotto!
Old 07-15-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Billingsley26
Pro Bowler

Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.Billingsley26 is a cocksman.

Rob S, you see the Steve Molitor fight last night? Not sure if it was a big deal in the states, but it was in Toronto because Molitor fights outta Mississauga where I live and the fight was just north of Toronto in Rama. Talk about style, his trainer has the best fighting strategy. He says dont go for the knock out blows to head because then the opponent will drop because he will get knocked out. Go for the body shots, you wont knock him necesarily, but you will work him down to almost nothing left, to where he HAS to quit. To the point where he is giving up on himself, to where he his mindset is gone and he doesnt want to fight anymore.

I love it. Molitor kicked the crap outta Takalani Ndlovu (sp?). Knocked him down 3 times in the 9th round, all in about less than a minute, shortly after the ref stopped it. Good for Molitor, great fight. I like the kid and his style.
Billingsley26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billingsley26 View Post
Rob S, you see the Steve Molitor fight last night? Not sure if it was a big deal in the states, but it was in Toronto because Molitor fights outta Mississauga where I live and the fight was just north of Toronto in Rama. Talk about style, his trainer has the best fighting strategy. He says dont go for the knock out blows to head because then the opponent will drop because he will get knocked out. Go for the body shots, you wont knock him necesarily, but you will work him down to almost nothing left, to where he HAS to quit. To the point where he is giving up on himself, to where he his mindset is gone and he doesnt want to fight anymore.

I love it. Molitor kicked the crap outta Takalani Ndlovu (sp?). Knocked him down 3 times in the 9th round, all in about less than a minute, shortly after the ref stopped it. Good for Molitor, great fight. I like the kid and his style.
I have heard his name, never seen him fight or know much about him tho. I love that style too, that why I am a cotto fan. I think the methodical plodding style is just awesome to watch. If you have ever trained, you know how much each of those body shots hurt, and it is totally true that they wear you down and stay with you throughout the fight. You can shake off a head shot, body shots stay with you.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This fight I am looking forward too:

Quote:
BERNARD HOPKINS BATTLES WINKY WRIGHT
SATURDAY, JULY 21ST AT MANDALAY BAY IN LAS VEGAS
LIVE ON PAY-PER-VIEW

LAS VEGAS (May 5) . . . When boxing historians look back at the current era of boxing, two names will stand out among the finest of this generation – Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright. But for these fierce competitors, being one of the elite isn’t enough. On Saturday, July 21st, at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, live on HBO Pay-Per-View, Hopkins and Wright will battle one another to claim supremacy.

“I’m back and my record speaks for itself,” said Hopkins, the former undisputed middleweight champion whose Ring magazine light heavyweight belt will be on the line in this 170-pound bout. “I was champion for over ten years, had 20 defenses and a win over a man they said was the best light heavyweight in the world, Antonio Tarver. Winky Wright is a good fighter, but I’m a great fighter, and I’ll prove that once again on July 21st.”

“I’m glad that Bernard stepped up to the plate to fight me when no one else wanted to take the challenge and I respect him for that,” said Wright. “But that will all go out the window when we step into the ring on July 21st. I’m younger, faster, stronger and better than Hopkins and he knows it.”

“Hopkins vs Wright - Coming to Fight” is presented by Golden Boy Promotions in association with Winky Promotions, and is sponsored by Southwest Airlines, Tecate beer, and Rockstar Energy Drink. HBO Pay-Per-View will air the event beginning at 9pm ET / 6pm PT.

“This fight will be a summer bonanza with both Bernard and Winky attempting to establish who reigns supreme,” said Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer. “The combined experience of the two fighters will guarantee fight fans a spectacular evening of boxing and a magnificent display of skill and talent.”

“We look forward to hosting another great championship fight at Mandalay Bay this summer,” said MGM MIRAGE President of Sports and Entertainment Richard Sturm. “This battle of two great champions continues our tradition of bringing the fans the best in boxing.”

"Hopkins vs. Wright features two of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the sport who never back down from a challenge", said HBO Pay-Per-View's Mark Taffet. "Bernard's victory over Tarver and Winky's win over Trinidad are two of the most dominating big-fight wins in recent memory. Each of them will need to bring their 'A-game' into the ring for this showdown."

Tickets for Hopkins vs. Wright, “Coming To Fight” are priced at $850, $650, $450, $250 and $100 and are now on sale. Tickets are available at any Mandalay Bay box office and all Las Vegas Ticketmaster locations (Smith’s Food and Drug Centers, Macy’s stores and Ritmo Latino). To charge by phone with a major credit card, call the Mandalay Bay box office at (702) 632-7580 or Ticketmaster at (702) 474-4000. Tickets also are available for purchase at www.mandalaybay.com or www.ticketmaster.com.

A true legend of the game and a future Hall of Famer, the Philadelphia native Bernard ‘The Executioner’ Hopkins (47-4-1, 32 KOs) ruled the middleweight division for over a decade and defended his title a record 20 times, defeating the likes of Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, William Joppy, and Glen Johnson. In 2005, he would lose his title in controversial fashion to Jermain Taylor, and after another disputed loss in their rematch, many believed Hopkins’ best days had passed. But in June of 2006, at the age of 41, the Philadelphia native moved up in weight for the first time in his career and was brilliant dominating the top 175-pound fighter in the world, Antonio Tarver, en route to a lopsided decision win. Hopkins announced his retirement immediately following his monumental accomplishment but shortly thereafter, decided he was still physically and mentally capable of fighting big fights against his elite peers. On July 21st, Hopkins will again look to show the world that age “ain’t nothin’ but a number” when he takes on Winky Wright.

The pride of St. Petersburg, Florida, 35-year old southpaw Winky Wright (51-3-1, 25 KOs) took the long road to boxing stardom. A standout amateur, Wright was forced to go overseas to get fights in the early part of his career, but it was in his opponents’ backyards that he learned the finer points of the game and developed the mental toughness that led him to the world junior middleweight title in 2001. Wright would defend his title six times (including two wins over Shane Mosley) before moving up to the middleweight division and nearly shutting out Felix Trinidad in 2005 in one of the most masterful performances in years. Two fights later, Wright would fight to a controversial draw with Jermain Taylor in a fight most believed he won, but with a win over former world champion Ike Quartey last December, Wright is back in the win column and ready for his showdown with ‘The Executioner.’

The Hopkins vs Wright pay-per-view telecast, beginning at 9 pm ET/6 pm PT, will be distributed by HBO Pay-Per-View and will be available to more than 61 million pay-per-view homes. The telecast will be available in HD-TV for those viewers who can receive HD. HBO Pay-Per-View is the leading supplier of event programming to the pay-per-view industry. For your Hopkins vs. Wright fight week updates, log on to www.hbo.com

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote