Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM    (permalink
LOLitsTomBrady
Rookie

LOLitsTomBrady hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Post your reactions...With the 2nd pick in the NFL draft, the Detroit Lions select..

Russel Okung..OT...Oklahoma State

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._lions_co.html

me: ****!!!!!!!!!!
LOLitsTomBrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLitsTomBrady View Post
Russel Okung..OT...Oklahoma State

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf..._lions_co.html

me: ****!!!!!!!!!!
It would be that feeling where your shoulders drop, you exhale in disappointment and shake your head a bit as you realize our defense could have been awesome. But then I would pick myself up thinking at least our line gets a lot better and our offense should improve; just not as much as our defense would have had we picked Suh.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:23 AM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First thought ... wrong guy. That article plays the "what if" game. Kowalski is a self admitted neurotic & a pessimist, so for him to worry or write about a possible DT bust or safer pick being LT is no surprise.

"What if" Suh is the next great defensive player in this league & revolutionizes the position? What if we pass b/c we play it safe & Tampa Bay trips into gettitng the stud we wanted but were too scared to take for $$ reasons? What about that Killer?

Not much sets apart Okung from Willaims ... from Davis ... from Bulaga ... from Campbell etc. imo.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:59 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My first reaction is.... Killer needs to stop this video crap. Write the damn article so I can read it. I'm not watching a video at work.

This is what I want to happen in order.

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Trade down
4. Okung

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:32 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be alright with it, although he wouldn't be my first choice. As long as it's one of Suh, McCoy, Okung...in that order...I'll be pleased regardless.

The pick that I'll really be holding my breath for is the second rounder...it will be very interesting to see who goes off the board and more importantly who is left and which direction the Lions decide to go with it.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:43 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, I realize that Suh is arguably the best prospect in the draft but.......... would you guys really hate it that much if the Lions finally replaced Jeff Backus?
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:36 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crickett View Post
Okay, I realize that Suh is arguably the best prospect in the draft but.......... would you guys really hate it that much if the Lions finally replaced Jeff Backus?
YES. The relative upgrade that a rookie LT would be over backus doesn't compare tot he relative upgrade of a Suh or McCoy to our defensive line.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:01 AM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
YES. The relative upgrade that a rookie LT would be over backus doesn't compare tot he relative upgrade of a Suh or McCoy to our defensive line.
What he said.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM    (permalink
tblain1
Rookie

tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tblain1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, thats basically what it comes down to. With all the changes that have happened in the offseason, this is still true.
tblain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Me: WOO! really no LT is ever an "Elite" prospect. Brick wasn't listed as Elite, hell even Joe Thomas was listed as Elite. I love Russell Okung as a prospect. He has no holes in his game. He doesn't have any injury issues. He makes two positions better right away by moving Backus to RT and putting yet another Millen 1st round pick in a backup role adding depth to the OT position. While Suh could be a once in a decade prospect but at this point I think it is 5-10% hype.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Me: WOO! really no LT is ever an "Elite" prospect. Brick wasn't listed as Elite, hell even Joe Thomas was listed as Elite. I love Russell Okung as a prospect. He has no holes in his game. He doesn't have any injury issues. He makes two positions better right away by moving Backus to RT and putting yet another Millen 1st round pick in a backup role adding depth to the OT position. While Suh could be a once in a decade prospect but at this point I think it is 5-10% hype.
So 90-95% is reality of him being once in a decade? Yeah... I'll take that.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 04-13-2010, 01:04 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broth223 View Post
Uhh.. both Brick and Joe Thomas were listed as Elite at the time. Don't know where you got that from.

And how does a Rookie LT and a 10 year vet LT playing RT for the first time make two positions instantly better..?
Old 04-13-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
SINCE1978
Veteran

SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SINCE1978 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Repeat ... as a former lineman, don't listen to average Joe sports talk radio jockey about the ease of switching positions on the Oline. If they have not done it, they are guessing & trust me, it's difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

It drives me nuts when people blindly say drafting a LT moving Backus inside fills 2 holes on your line. Wrong answer, that is sooo off base! That is essentially like putting 2 rookies in your starting line up. Does that make Stafford better? I say no way, it does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

I moved from C to RT. It took me a few seasons to really get it ...

Last edited by SINCE1978 : 04-13-2010 at 02:37 PM.
SINCE1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Uhh.. both Brick and Joe Thomas were listed as Elite at the time. Don't know where you got that from.

And how does a Rookie LT and a 10 year vet LT playing RT for the first time make two positions instantly better..?
I'm gonna go with magic.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-13-2010, 04:19 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm gonna go with magic.
Well, maybe if Marinelli was coaching us again..
Old 04-13-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd take Okung in a heartbeat if he is rated as a top 5 prospect in this year's draft. This is a very strong and deep draft and is particularly strong at the DL positions with as many as 45 projected to go in the top 4 rounds.
I've followed the draft a long time and DLmen often have trouble adjusting to the next level and often disappoint and never reach their potential.
I've also heard that from pick 20 to pick 48, the talent differential is minuscule with the 48th pick having a solid chance to be better than the guy picked #20. IMO, we can find a stud DLmen in rounds 2 or 3 who potentially could turnout to be even better than Suh or McCoy but we aren't likely going to find a LT past round 1.
So, we could have an all pro LT and a very solid at worse, DLmen, or we can draft a DLman and leave LT to another year putting Stafford at risk with a chance his career is shortened. I just don't like the odds for Stafford if we leave him unprotected for another year and I don't want to put the whole rebuilding stage at risk just because we feel the defense needs a lot of work. The defense can be helped considerably whether we draft Suh or McCoy or not. Round 2 is going to have a solid 1st round talent left on the DL when we use our second pick so why not solve 2 serious problems in one stroke.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I'd take Okung in a heartbeat if he is rated as a top 5 prospect in this year's draft. This is a very strong and deep draft and is particularly strong at the DL positions with as many as 45 projected to go in the top 4 rounds.
I've followed the draft a long time and DLmen often have trouble adjusting to the next level and often disappoint and never reach their potential.
I've also heard that from pick 20 to pick 48, the talent differential is minuscule with the 48th pick having a solid chance to be better than the guy picked #20. IMO, we can find a stud DLmen in rounds 2 or 3 who potentially could turnout to be even better than Suh or McCoy but we aren't likely going to find a LT past round 1.
So, we could have an all pro LT and a very solid at worse, DLmen, or we can draft a DLman and leave LT to another year putting Stafford at risk with a chance his career is shortened. I just don't like the odds for Stafford if we leave him unprotected for another year and I don't want to put the whole rebuilding stage at risk just because we feel the defense needs a lot of work. The defense can be helped considerably whether we draft Suh or McCoy or not. Round 2 is going to have a solid 1st round talent left on the DL when we use our second pick so why not solve 2 serious problems in one stroke.
Just my thoughts on the matter.
I know this draft is deep but saying that we can find someone that is close in talent to Suh or McCoy with our 2nd round pick? That's ridiculous.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
I know this draft is deep but saying that we can find someone that is close in talent to Suh or McCoy with our 2nd round pick? That's ridiculous.
I think his argument is that you can find a DT in the 2nd or 3rd that can have a closer impact to a Suh/McCoy than you can an OT who will have as close an impact as Okung.

Personally, as long as we draft one of these 3 I'm gonna be good with the selection. Additionally, I really think that Linval Joseph would be a great pick for us in the 3rd if we go Okung at 2.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM    (permalink
woodnick
Veteran

woodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairwoodnick is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post
Repeat ... as a former lineman, don't listen to average Joe sports talk radio jockey about the ease of switching positions on the Oline. If they have not done it, they are guessing & trust me, it's difficult. Not impossible, but difficult.

It drives me nuts when people blindly say drafting a LT moving Backus inside fills 2 holes on your line. Wrong answer, that is sooo off base! That is essentially like putting 2 rookies in your starting line up. Does that make Stafford better? I say no way, it does not give me that warm fuzzy feeling.

Wow, C to RT, those are pretty different skill sets that are required at those positions. I don't know if Backus would be able to make a smooth transition from LT to RT, but IMO a move from LT to RT would generally be easier than a move from C to RT.

If Backus couldn't make the transition and beat out Gosder, then we could simply cut him and save around $6 mill, or at least $4.95 mill depending on when his option bonus is due, or maybe we could ship him to a team that misses out on a OT for a mid to low draft pick in 2011.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINCE1978 View Post

I was also a former lineman and moving from LT to RT is not that extremely hard.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if the lions select okung then i'd be impressed. especially if they followed it up with a RB, DT, and CB in the next rounds. i don't care what order.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

Oh snap. Fight about whether its hard to switch positions on the line!

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingboy2999 View Post
Oh snap. Fight about whether its hard to switch positions on the line!
for this draft they're discussing the wrong line anyways.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really do think Schwatz was genuine with his praise of Backus. I have such a hard time seeing Okung being the pick.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would be disappointed, but not necessarily upset.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote