Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jason Campbell named starting QB by Cable

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also we signed former LB Greg Biekert as a assistant on defense. He was a very good MLB for us last time we were good earlier this decade and Im sure he can help McClain

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 07-28-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

_YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man im hoping J.Henderson doesn't become a camp cut.
_YL_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:11 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What exactly is the Raiders 4-3 defense now? Is it a normal 4-3 or a 4-3 under (or over) with Trevor Scott on the edge? I'm wondering because Lamarr Houston playing DE suggests he's sort of playing inside (like a 3-4 end) next to an OLB, which suggests a 4-3U.

Last edited by MidwestJimmy : 07-30-2010 at 01:14 PM.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We played mostly a normal 4-3 last year with Seymour mostly at end, so Houston playing end doesn't suggest anything.

That said, I still think the defense is going to show 46 tendencies out of a 40 front. If you go back and watch the Philadelphia game (as I have recently), you can actually see small signs of a 46 look. They had both outside linebackers stacking one side of the line and the safety creeping up on the other side. That would accomplish your over-under scenario.

Ultimately though, I think Houston at end means that the Raiders like have a big guy on that edge and that they liked Houston's ability to rush the edge from the end spot at Texas (which he displayed occasionally).

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 07-31-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

On passing downs we had Seymour shift to the tackle and had Scott at standup end.

Hopefully Scott gets better or someone else takes his place if we do the same thing. Most Raider fans on this board love him but he got half his sacks off of untouched blitzes.
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Seymour has been seen playing inside some at camp so far with Houston playing where Seymour usually does. Nice too see that

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, I actually don't think I've seen a single mention of Seymour playing outside. The defensive end group seems to be Houston, Shaughnessy, Richardson, and Groves (who's also seen time at linebacker). That's the way it should be too, in my opinion.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:28 AM    (permalink
bkolaski0
Rookie

bkolaski0 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What kind of contract is seymour looking for??
bkolaski0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

We have no way of knowing. I wouldn't expect anything to get done before the start of the season.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:18 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

I thought the most likely time we would lock up Seymour would be before training camp, but it seems like he wants to see if we are going to improve to the point where he believes the team will be contending for awhile. I hope us getting to atleast 7-9 will get him long term on a 4 or 5 year deal

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

_YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully Chaz practices today
Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by _YL_ View Post
Hopefully Chaz practices today
Yup he is in pads

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry McDonald
Schilens participating in drill with sudden cuts around cones. No O vs. D or man on man blocking drills yet.
Hopefully we'll see him in pads and playing 7-on-7's later today or tomorrow
Old 08-02-2010, 08:15 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I won't be doing this often, but I thought there were some intriguing notes in here from this past weekend:

Quote:
Louis Murphy awoke the morning of Day Three with all the nagging signs of a concussion and has not practiced since.

On Friday he was apparently kneed in the back of the head by Nnam. This is cause for great concern and I hope the coaches go to work right away on eliminating this kind of thoughtless and reckless play. Murphy needs to keep his head out of the way of Nnam's knees.

Okay, he probably didn't do it on purpose and we want Murph's head to be okay. He said he has not had a concussion before and he'll probably be back on the field on Monday. Still, it is something to keep an eye on as concussions have a tendency to come on easier after each one.

Murphy's absence meant the weekend practices were run with only one of the first 3 WR's on the field, DHB. Chaz was on the field for a brief period at the start of Saturday's practice, but didn't too much before retiring to the training room. All signs still point to him sitting out as extreme and understandable precautionary measure.

That left the field wide open to DHB to shine and shine he did. Early on Saturday he seemed to tweak his shoulder, but came right back and made a nice leaping TD grab. He is going after balls more aggressively and using his size and speed to his advantage. After catches, he is bursting up field and even flashing stiff arms on DB's. He is animated and intense at practice. He seems serious about improving at his craft.

Nnam and DHB put in extra time each day of training camp. This is exactly the kind of example you want to see out of two of your highest paid players. It is also a great sign of leadership from Nnam, who has taken DHB under his wing.

Nnam knows stardom doesn't come overnight in this league, but it can come with the right attitude, persistence and freakish athletic ability--all of which DHB seems to have. Here is what Nnam had to say:

Quote:
I told him the first day before we even had practice that after every single practice that we're going to get some work on the things that he needs to work on. Because even when he's getting the work, I'm getting the work and doing extra stuff. So we'll come aside after practice and I'll ask him what is it today. He'll be like I need work on his, I need work on that. We just go out and do it. It's not like we're working for 30 minutes. It's just some quick stuff that we're getting better at.
Eight practices down and now the pads come on. Not surprisingly, LaMarr Houston was grinning when asked if he was ready.

Quote:
I'm excited, it's been a long time since everybody's been in some pads. Working technique in pads will be a lot different than just working in jerseys. It should be fine. Without pads, some guys get a little frustrated, and you just know with pads on, it will be a little bit different.
Houston is about more than hitting. He is anxious to learn how to play at the NFL level and realizes he has a great mentor in Richard Seymour.

Quote:
I ask (him) everything I can ask. He's been in the league for a long time and he has so many Super Bowl rings. Anything I can ask, I ask him during meetings and after meeting. Sometimes I just sit down with him and ask him about techniques and stuff.
One of the big questions about the defense is the ability of the new LB's to cover the pass. It has been mentioned that they all look athletic and capable. Wimbley has drawn some praise for his coverage, but people are already beginning to gush about Death Ro.

McClain is not wasting any time erasing the doubts about his one perceived weakness: pass coverage. He is making good reads and anticipating routes, which have allowed him to make plays in coverage.

Ro isn't just getting by on his immense football instincts and savvy, he has got more than a little freak in him. He made a nice pick on a pass QB Jason Campbell thought he had safely lobbed over him. Here is what Campbell had to say:

Quote:
He is an extreme talent. The guy is 6-4 with a 37-inch vertical. I have been throwing that pass ever since I have been in the league and he jumped as high as he could get and stretched out and caught it. It's one of those interceptions where you really can't even get mad because he made an outstanding play.
The guy is big, strong and can move, and you can tell playing under Saban he is a smart linebacker. Even if you look him off, he can tell what you're trying to do.

McClain is practicing with the first team nickel. Critics had said he may have to come off the field in these situations. I hope for their sake they didn't put their money where their mouth was.

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Death Ro
Is that seriously going to be McClain's knickname? It's terrible.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:29 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Is that seriously going to be McClain's knickname? It's terrible.
I was thinking the same thing lol.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Someone was trying too hard when making it up. It just comes off as lame.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:40 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

So still no official word on how our defense will line up? Hopefully with the full contact practices we can see what we have been thinking this whole off season by bulking up the dline and OLBs.

Cable is saying Stanford Routt is pushing CJ for the 2nd CB job which I guess is good news. Also Jacoby Ford has been improving and looking like he will be the 4th WR for us so far. Reports say he has looked good filling in for Murphy and Schilens.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 AM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think there's no news because there's no change. We're running a 4-man front this year and I doubt we wind up pushing linebackers up with regularity. I have no doubt that Wimbley and Scott will rush the passer this year, but I think they'll do it out of a pretty classic looking Raider front.

I think we'll more interesting stuff from the defensive backs this year.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:10 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Heres some great news IMO

Quote:
Asomugha thinks his lobbying to be moved within the defense to make more plays is paying off.

“ I’ve been in everybody’s ear,’’ Asomugha said. I want to be everywhere, causing as much trouble as I possibly can, because it’s not like any of these positions are difficult for me.

“It’s just let me be involved, let me do more, let me be disruptive. I’m just taking it upon myself in practice to move around as much as possible, and the coaches have been very receptive to it, and I think it’s just helping everybody out.”
http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraider...-help-defense/

Article also has more notes from players and coaches.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Carr to Cooper in 2015

Old 08-03-2010, 06:21 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

In an off-season of good news, that is the best news.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:55 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

With Mario Henderson struggling at times and having a hard time I wonder if they Will give any reps to J.Veldheer on first team.

Hopefully a decent LT is cut so we can pick one up.

Last edited by _YL_ : 08-03-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:08 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
Also Jacoby Ford has been improving and looking like he will be the 4th WR for us so far. Reports say he has looked good filling in for Murphy and Schilens.
Jacoby Ford always plays well in shorts. Tell me something that I don't already know.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:46 AM    (permalink
Donno
Veteran

Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Donno is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If McClain can become one of the best linebackers in the league him, Nnamdi, and Seymour will beast.