Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Oakland Raiders Team Forum

Oakland Raiders Team Forum Discuss the Raiders

Old 05-24-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
Houston needs to stay outside. We need experience inside or a huge body. Seymour fits.
I just cant see Al having Seymour listed as the starter though at DT. We have UDFA Kellen Heard at 355lbs on the roster as of now but other than him we have no size at DT

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
EvilNixon
Pro Bowler

EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilNixon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rolando is going to have to be stout. Gerrard Warren was mediocre, but he's the only serviceable DT we had last year. We had a shot at Cam Thomas repeatedly and passed. That irked the hell out of me.
EvilNixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
One thing Im confused about is who our starting DE's are going to be. Is Seymour going to play DT or DE? I know Shaughnessy will start but does Houston or Seymour start on the other side?
Gotta convince him to sign before they can play him anywhere.

He and Houston both are miscast a 43 ends. This is going to be one screwball defense. But, that's nothing new around here.

God damn it.

No offense, but your Raiders draft sucks.
Abaddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Abaddon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNixon View Post
Rolando is going to have to be stout. Gerrard Warren was mediocre, but he's the only serviceable DT we had last year. We had a shot at Cam Thomas repeatedly and passed. That irked the hell out of me.
Not that great a prospect imo

God damn it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:31 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Gotta convince him to sign before they can play him anywhere.

He and Houston both are miscast a 43 ends. This is going to be one screwball defense. But, that's nothing new around here.
Yah it seems like we are trying to make up for our lack of size at the NT position by having larger LB's and DE's....While I'm worried that we don't have a single big man in the middle that will consume two blockers, it will be interesting to see how opposing tackles do against someone like Houston who may not be a speed demon, but is most likely a lot stronger than most traditional DE's. I personally don't think it is going to work at all, once the OT's get the initial contact, I think Houston will be playing catch up from that point on, not generating much of a consistent pass rush.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:46 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Nevermind the sacrifice they're making in pass coverage playing DEs at both OLB spots. Should be the screwiest 4-3 defense since Tyler Brayton and Grant Irons were the starting OLBs.

God damn it.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Nevermind the sacrifice they're making in pass coverage playing DEs at both OLB spots. Should be the screwiest 4-3 defense since Tyler Brayton and Grant Irons were the starting OLBs.
I'd be worried about Wimbley. Scott was our best LB in coverage last year, and that's not a subtle comment either; he was a very impressive every-down player for us, despite his minimal experience and practice time at the position.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:12 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

_YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott,Wimbley and Groves are nothing like Irons and Brayton.
_YL_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So are they saying Groves is a WLB right? or a SLB? Because if he is a WLB does that mean Howard moves to SLB for passing downs I assume?

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-26-2010, 12:30 AM    (permalink
Abaddon
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _YL_ View Post
Scott,Wimbley and Groves are nothing like Irons and Brayton.
They're converted DEs playing LB in a 4-3 defense. I wouldn't trust any of the 4 of them to man up on a HB with any sort of ability as a route runner.

Scott showed some encouraging man coverage ability, but he's still extremely raw. Expecting that he'll only get better assumes that the rest of the league is incapable of exploiting his lack of experience. I don't believe it will be that easy.

And if Wimbley is playing on the strong side more often than not, then we very well should expect some matchup disadvantages.

God damn it.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

_YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him._YL_ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand the concerns of Wimbley and Scott and even Groves on coverage but I highly doubt they will be covering anybody a lot.IF Marshall is able to call his game plan both of those guys will be blitzing like crazy of the edges like Julian Peterson and Leroy Hill.Something Thomas Howard is incapable of doing Howard will be used still but only in obvious passing downs.I think having 2 Safety's who can cover will help out a lot too with the tE's and RB's is it gonna be great right off the bat most likely not but I think by 4 games into it Wimbley and Scott will be playing some good football.

But there is something that makes me like Groves a lot and makes me think he is gonna have a good year.If anybody is gonna take over for Scott and be the full time WLB it will be Groves.

Last edited by _YL_ : 05-26-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:02 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Rumor is if Chris Johnson doesnt have a season like he had in 2008 then we could see Huff becoming a CB and Branch moved to FS and Mitchell to SS. It probably wouldnt happen until like half way into the season if the move is made

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-26-2010, 03:51 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Huff never had the hip fluidity to make the switch. I doubt things would change five years into his playing career.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:37 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

See, I thought Huff had the hips to play corner in college and was surprised that the general opinion once he hits the pros what that he didn't. I know he was getting some snaps at corner during the OTA's and if he's looked decent then I'd honestly be fine with it. He'd get picked on mercilessly to start off though.

My question is what about Routt? He played well in the stints and he was tendered quite highly considering his lack of starts the past two years. If both he and Johnson aren't showing anything, why didn't Oakland target a cornerback sooner in the draft?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Well according to reports DHB had his best practice ever today not dropping a single ball and even beating Nnamdi Asomugha once for a big gain. Great news if he keeps up with the hard work, he will turn out to be a nice WR. Also love the reports of OC Hue Jackson really getting at the offence and defense. Talking trash and challenging both young and vet players.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 PM    (permalink
_YL_
Veteran

I like to see Huff at CB,I think he has the tools to succeed at CB and it putting him at CB gives us the opportunity to put the best out there with ASO,Huff,Branch and Mitchelle
Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Well I think one way or the other we should draft a CB pretty high next year since its not known if Nnamdi will stay and Chris Johnson is getting old. I like Walter McFadden but it will take him awhile to make an impact on D and probably will be a special teams guy at first.

But I do believe if we end up performing better this year and get Seymour to sign long term that Nnamdi will stay atleast another year.

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-26-2010, 11:22 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's up to the team whether Nnamdi stay another year. They'll just have to pay him around 20 million to do so.

I get the feeling that the only real way Scrabble stays around after this season is if he's willing to negotiate another deal and the only way he does that is if he feels that this team will actually go somewhere. Put simply, this team needs to take large strides this year to keep it's best player. If not, I doubt Al is willing to dish out elite quarterback money for Nnamdi nor do I think Nnamdi will let Oakland talk him out of his "get out of jail" contract.

Best possible situation if we suck again this year is that Al takes the team option then offers Nnamdi to a team that both parties agree to for compensation and the promise of a restructured contract.
Old 05-27-2010, 03:57 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually hope Hue Jackson eventually comes the HC..
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:26 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
It would certainly appear that if Jackson can produce a significant change in the offense this year that he'll have a similar status to the one Cable had when he was hired from positional coach to head coach. That said, the reason Jackson came to Oakland was because of Cable. They've worked together off and on for the last two decades. I don't think that if Jackson takes a head coaching job that it would be to replace a really close friend.

However, more specifically, I'm not clear that I would want Jackson relegated to the administrative roles of a head coach instead of just focusing on getting the offense ready each week. Cable has proved to be good at handling the media, good at dealing with Al Davis, and generally pretty apt at handling the role of a head coach. Jackson is one of the most promising guys we've put into a coordinator role in years, I'm not really looking forward to removing him from that role.

If Jackson does become a HC, and he may, I would bet it's not with Oakland. That said, the longer we keep Cable around the longer Jackson will be here too.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

Quote:
On the radar: Chaz Schilens

By Bill Williamson

A player, coach or issue that should be on your radar as training camp approaches.

One of the reasons for hope in Oakland is young receiver Chaz Schilens. The seventh-round pick in 2008 has shown nice flashes. Many league observers think he has a chance to develop into a solid No. 1 receiver. He is the best of Oaklandís several young receivers.

He has good hands. Heís big, fast and runs good routes. And heís still learning. His upside is very high.

However, there is also a major injury concern. Schilens is still feeling the effects of a broken foot he suffered during training camp last year. He missed several games because of the surgically repaired foot. Then he had a follow-up surgery this offseason because of complications. He is expected to miss the rest of the offseason workouts, and he isnít expected to be ready until training camp.

This isnít disastrous news, but NFL teams have OTAs for a reason -- Schilens is missing valuable time. He has a new offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson, and he has to find a rhythm with new quarterback Jason Campbell. These things can be addressed during training camp, but it would be helpful for Schilens to have this time to work with the rest of the offense.

The biggest concern is if the foot will cause him any more problems during training camp. Two surgeries should do the trick. But the fact that he is still bothered by the injury nine months after it happened is cause for concern.

Oakland has to keep close tabs on Schilens and hope he is 100 percent once training camp arrives in late July. The Raiders are better team with Schilens than without him.

Link
I saw this and I thought I'd post it here.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

If Schilens can stay healthy, I think he'd prove to be the very best value draft pick Oakland has made in quite a while. He's one of those instances where taking undeveloped triangle number guys later on can really pay off.

Just for fun...
Old 05-27-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewfeature06 View Post
Funny thing is when this first happened and I read about him I kind of felt he would become our head coach down the line. Maybe Cable gets up to say a 8-8 record for like a few years in a row but never gets the job done to be in the playoffs and Al makes Hue the head coach? All I know is if Hue fixes our offence he will get alot of interviews

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-27-2010, 06:05 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

Heres some good news

Quote:
Raiders' left tackle prefers Campbell's footwork to Russell's
Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 12:11 PM ET
We previously noted that Raiders wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey may have a better year in 2010 because he'll be playing with a better quarterback. The same could be true of Raiders left tackle Mario Henderson.

Speaking with reporters at the Raiders' organized team activities, Henderson praised new quarterback Jason Campbell for having the proper footwork when he drops back to pass -- making it easier for Henderson to know how to block for him. And while Henderson didn't criticize JaMarcus Russell by name, his comments suggest that he found it frustrating to block for Russell.

"Now I can get adjusted as to where [Campbell] steps up in the pocket, [and] I know he's accurate, as far if it's a seven-step drop, I know he'll take seven; if it's five, I know he's going to take five," Henderson said. "That's good to be accurate."

While Russell suffered from lethargy addiction, Henderson praises the hard work and study habits of Campbell.

"For him to be able to come here, be able to grasp the offense and take control of it as fast as he did, it's amazing," Henderson said of Campbell. "It just goes to show you the type of guy he is and the type of hard worker and studier he is."

Just as Russell's three years in Oakland showed the type of hard worker and studier he is.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-to-russells/

Seems like if Russell isnt their then we have confidence in our team(example Bruce Gradkowski of all people making us look like a decent team last year). Expecting big things this year, hopefully Im not let down again

Also I guess we are suing JaMarcus for 9mil. You can read more in the NFL section on here

"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

Old 05-27-2010, 08:39 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DHB also apparently had his best practice ever yesterday and didn't drop anything. He even made a move on Nnamdi after a catch.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote