Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-27-2011, 07:34 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
Mayock was actually saying Miller look pretty good in coverage drills and could potentially be a weakside LB in the 4-3. Not sure if I buy it, but it is interesting.
He's pretty good in coverage, his main faults come with his inability to bullrush and press the pocket, or even do so much as a simple swim or rip instead of trying to run past the OL. He'd be a pretty good fit for what we need. A aggressive rush linebacker who also can do well in coverage.

I like Carimi a lot and his first two days were great
...I still think he's a RT, but I've warmed up to the possibility of him being able to play LT

Feel the same way

Nate Solder has look really good too and I think he is a much better projection to left tackle with his pass blocking skills. Sherrod as well.

I don't like Solder, he's tall, bad technique, and not really all too strong it seems. He doesn't have a mean streak at all imo, i don't like him for some reason. Whereas Sherrod is starting to look like the guy for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense
I'm iffy on Von Miller. First and foremost we have no chance bc he's shaping up to be a top 10 pick, but anyway, he's just too small to be a 3-4 LB and he's not skilled enough to play 4-3 LB. He's a tweener with high bust potential. I need to see more from him as a LB in a 4-3.

Maybe its just this draft class being incredibly weak, but he doesn't look like a top 10 pick with the lackluster year he had, and how undeveloped he is as a passrusher (which is his biggest asset)
(10 characters)

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good posts guys.

I keep hearing about Mason Foster. Im dying to see him during the game this Saturday. He could be the guy.

The thing with Von is, I just don't want us to take on another project. I want a traditional linebacker. We have enough pass rushers, now it's time to get some quick nasty linebackers.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Good posts guys.

I keep hearing about Mason Foster. Im dying to see him during the game this Saturday. He could be the guy.

The thing with Von is, I just don't want us to take on another project. I want a traditional linebacker. We have enough pass rushers, now it's time to get some quick nasty linebackers.
Yeah, Mason foster displays alot of heart. There was one play that really made me 'wow' probably the second to last regular season game he chased down a guy who looked like he was gone and even had some blockers in front.

Miller would definitely be a project, as is JPP. But there are things that will allow Miller to be effective although he's not a finished product (just as JPP did this season). He has good speed, agility, and is an above average tackler. He has the abilities to improve on his assets, but right away he can contribute. I hope that our DL coach and other passrushers can help him improve his hand use and give him some more moves.

The reason why we would need to add a LB who can rush the passer is that we dont become predictable, we sent our safeties waaaay too often. This was probably because none of our linebackers were effective at doing that.

But BBD what is your opinion on Carter and Sturdivant? both of them seem pretty solid, i didnt get to see much of them.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah, right now, my top 3 are:

Carimi
Foster
Lefeged

wait, what?

but Foster is growing on me too. very active LB who seems to have a lot of heart. I'd be perfectly fine with him or Carimi, because if Carimi could play LT, we could easily have:

Carimi-Diehl-C-Snee-McKenzie

with the center being drafted, signed, or Richie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:56 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poor Scottyboy, still delusional thinking Joe Lefeged doesn't suck.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:59 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH! i don't see a uconn player at the senior bowl!
/me wins.

but focus mainly on Carimi and Foster plz, because i am totally correct there.

but lefeged in the 6th would be win
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
SHUT YOUR MOUTH! i don't see a uconn player at the senior bowl!
/me wins.

but focus mainly on Carimi and Foster plz, because i am totally correct there.

but lefeged in the 6th would be win
cough, except for Lawrence Wilson who by all reports has looked really solid there.

I do like Carimi and Foster, though. I don't think Foster is a first rounder, and I'm not sure he'd last to our second round pick.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

except Wilson sucks and is dumb and lame.

Foster could sneak into the first, and I'm thinking Carimi might not be there for our pick.
I guy I always liked, but now have come to love is Demarco Murray. BIG fan of his.
Quote:
Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

reading up more, i REALLY like Carimi, Foster and Murray.
i wish there was a way we could get all 3. Idk i Murray will last til round 3...or Foster lasting to our 2nd rounder...orrr Carimi to our 1st haha
Quote:
Old 01-27-2011, 12:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
reading up more, i REALLY like Carimi, Foster and Murray.
i wish there was a way we could get all 3. Idk i Murray will last til round 3...or Foster lasting to our 2nd rounder...orrr Carimi to our 1st haha
I've been pimping Murray for awhile now. Mayock doesn't have him in his top 5 RBs, so who knows. Maybe he can slip. I think Murray would kill it in our system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Yeah, Mason foster displays alot of heart. There was one play that really made me 'wow' probably the second to last regular season game he chased down a guy who looked like he was gone and even had some blockers in front.

Miller would definitely be a project, as is JPP. But there are things that will allow Miller to be effective although he's not a finished product (just as JPP did this season). He has good speed, agility, and is an above average tackler. He has the abilities to improve on his assets, but right away he can contribute. I hope that our DL coach and other passrushers can help him improve his hand use and give him some more moves.

The reason why we would need to add a LB who can rush the passer is that we dont become predictable, we sent our safeties waaaay too often. This was probably because none of our linebackers were effective at doing that.

But BBD what is your opinion on Carter and Sturdivant? both of them seem pretty solid, i didnt get to see much of them.
I'm warming up to both of them. Carter has quicker feet, so I'm more of a fan of his. Carter is basically prototypical, he has speed, good build, can tackle, can blitz, can cover well, he can flow through traffic and get the RB.

2 issues. 1 - Could do better shedding blocks. 2 - That knee...we don't know if he recovered.

Quan, he's kind of like Goff but a little faster. He's disciplined, stays in his gaps, never overpursues, great tackler, stays home in coverage, a guy who is good at everything but great at nothing.

I like Quan too, I want to see his 40 time.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

yea, Murray behind our guys would be nice.
And I like Foster, his quick, active and a good leader. I think he'd fit with Boley and Goff quite nicely.
To me, there is no MIKE in this draft good enough to replace Goff
Quote:
Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
yea, Murray behind our guys would be nice.
And I like Foster, his quick, active and a good leader. I think he'd fit with Boley and Goff quite nicely.
To me, there is no MIKE in this draft good enough to replace Goff
We need a MIKE though :(

I was hoping we could convert either Foster, or Carter to MIKE Jon Beason style.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

i wouldn't say we NEED a MIKE. Getting an upgrade at MIKE right now would be a luxury, not a dire need. Goff did a fine job. Nothing flashy, but wasn't a weak link out there at all. We won the super bowl starting Reggie Torbor, let's not forget about that haha. While a stud MIKE would be awesome to have, Goff is still a fine option out there, and we have other needs on the OL, perhaps RB, the secondary and maybe DT.
Quote:
Old 01-27-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
i wouldn't say we NEED a MIKE. Getting an upgrade at MIKE right now would be a luxury, not a dire need. Goff did a fine job. Nothing flashy, but wasn't a weak link out there at all. We won the super bowl starting Reggie Torbor, let's not forget about that haha. While a stud MIKE would be awesome to have, Goff is still a fine option out there, and we have other needs on the OL, perhaps RB, the secondary and maybe DT.
To be honest, Goff didn't even play MIKE for us. He played SAM. We came out with 3 safeties as our base, and had Grant run MIKE responsibilities, he did the deep middle drop, not Goff. Goff played an underneath zone.

And on passing downs, Goff got off the field. So he was a 2 down player who didn't even play a true MIKE for us on those 2 downs.

His job in the run game was to follow the FB no matter what. He was our thumper. I like Goff a lot and think he's good enough at MIKE in the right system, but under Fewell's system, we were limited with him on the field.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 AM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

[quote=bigbluedefense;2494802]I don't blame them, I mean, at the end of the day that's part of the process, I just hope we look beyond that. Jake Long doesn't have the best feet in the world and he's arguably the best LT in the game right now.

What I love about Carimi is his brute strength. The guy just mauls you. And he has long arms. He's a stud as a run blocker and when I watch him in pass pro, he's more than adequate. He uses his strength to his advantage.

You can't bull rush him, even if you have him beat to the inside angle, he's too strong. So he compensates for his slow feet by taking a wide drop to combat the outside speed rush. If you try to dip and rip inside, he just stonewalls you with his strength. If you try to bullrush him, good luck, he'll laugh at you.

I've seen guys try to go wide to set him up, then dip and rip inside and it still doesn't work. What's special about Cam is even when he's off balance, he's so strong he can still fight you off.

I'll check him out more during the Senior Bowl, but to be honest, I'm pretty much already sold on him.[/QUOTE

After further evaluation....You been spot on regarding Carimi! i believe at the very least he's a blue chip RT, he has that nasty attitude that like from linemen and with that frame he has and that arm length... I would be happy adding someone like for the intradivisional battles we have at the NFC east. We need to fortify the trenches...

You seen Foster! Man, everything I thought! A passionate football player with above average athleticism with great instincts and awareness. These are the type of defensive players we need to add to our current roster. Anybody else that has caught your interest from the Senior Bowl?
DOMINATEtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:45 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

[quote=DOMINATEtheline;2499126]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I don't blame them, I mean, at the end of the day that's part of the process, I just hope we look beyond that. Jake Long doesn't have the best feet in the world and he's arguably the best LT in the game right now.

What I love about Carimi is his brute strength. The guy just mauls you. And he has long arms. He's a stud as a run blocker and when I watch him in pass pro, he's more than adequate. He uses his strength to his advantage.

You can't bull rush him, even if you have him beat to the inside angle, he's too strong. So he compensates for his slow feet by taking a wide drop to combat the outside speed rush. If you try to dip and rip inside, he just stonewalls you with his strength. If you try to bullrush him, good luck, he'll laugh at you.

I've seen guys try to go wide to set him up, then dip and rip inside and it still doesn't work. What's special about Cam is even when he's off balance, he's so strong he can still fight you off.

I'll check him out more during the Senior Bowl, but to be honest, I'm pretty much already sold on him.[/QUOTE

After further evaluation....You been spot on regarding Carimi! i believe at the very least he's a blue chip RT, he has that nasty attitude that like from linemen and with that frame he has and that arm length... I would be happy adding someone like for the intradivisional battles we have at the NFC east. We need to fortify the trenches...

You seen Foster! Man, everything I thought! A passionate football player with above average athleticism with great instincts and awareness. These are the type of defensive players we need to add to our current roster. Anybody else that has caught your interest from the Senior Bowl?

Not yet. I form most of my opinions off of the game. I know scouts weigh the practices more than the game, but I'm the opposite. I don't care much for practices. Some people are practice warriors and flop during the game and vice versa. To me it's all about how you perform on game day.

So I'll have a much better idea after I check the game out.

We're in a tough spot bc the guys I like aren't really going to be available on our picks unless we reach.

Carimi might not be there at 19, Foster would be a reach at 19 and won't be there for us in round 2.

Carter might not be there in round 2 and would be a reach at 19.

Centers would be a reach at 19.

It's tough, we'll see what happens.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:57 AM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

[quote=bigbluedefense;2499133]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATEtheline View Post

Not yet. I form most of my opinions off of the game. I know scouts weigh the practices more than the game, but I'm the opposite. I don't care much for practices. Some people are practice warriors and flop during the game and vice versa. To me it's all about how you perform on game day.

So I'll have a much better idea after I check the game out.

We're in a tough spot bc the guys I like aren't really going to be available on our picks unless we reach.

Carimi might not be there at 19, Foster would be a reach at 19 and won't be there for us in round 2.

Carter might not be there in round 2 and would be a reach at 19.

Centers would be a reach at 19.

It's tough, we'll see what happens.

Not a bad method to have for evaluating the talent. I have a preconceived idea of the players I'm watching by the games I have seen them play during their college careers, I watch College Football, but I wasn't as consistent as years before. I value the practices (specially for small school prospects) cause their is NFL coaching on the field, I view the game as icing on the cake.

The way things are looking its looking for intelligent to trade down, oh well, can't wait for the game tomorrow and we got the combine next... : )
DOMINATEtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm doing a 180 on Von Miller. After watching him more, I've come to the realization that he reminds me of Lawrence Timmons an awful lot. And I'm a HUGE Timmons fan.

Move up in the draft, and get this guy. Plug him in at WILL, and we'll finally have that impact linebacker we've been looking for. This guy is a monster. He's fast, he's violent, he can blitz like nobody's business, he can drop in coverage, he can flow to the ball and make plays in the run game, he can drop his hips, he can run downhill and sideline to sideline, he's the total package.

I want to see him play 4-3 LB today. If he passes the eyeball test, we need to move up and get him. Quite honestly, I think he'll be a bust as a 3-4 LB, he's not big enough and he's not a phonebooth guy who can take on olinemen with regularity.

He might have to sit a year and develop slowly, but he's worth it if he passes the eyeball test today.

If the Giants are serious about getting an impact linebacker, he could be our guy, if they're willing to move up and get him.

This is all depending on how he looks today though.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:13 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm warming up to John Moffit as well. Interior linemen from Wisconsin. He looks great at Guard, and he has played Center too.

Mayock is saying he's a smart guy with versatility who'll be a 10 year starter in this league. Sounds like a good guy to grab in the middle rounds at Center if we can't grab a guy in round 2.

4 year starter too. That's impressive.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

The thing about Miller is he could go REALLY high in draft so trading up to get him may not be a possibility. I'd be all for it because the way he comes off the edge is dynamic and I do think he has the ability to cover and stop the run at a solid/effective level.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:30 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

1. Carolina - I doubt they take him
2. Denver - Don't see them taking a 4-3 OLB with the 2nd pick (they'll run a 4-3)
3. Buffalo - Possibility. But Maybin's failures could scare them away
4. Cinncy - They won't take him
5. Arizona - Possibly. But Quinn is a safer pick.
6. Cleveland - Won't. They're running a 4-3 and will probably go dline.
7. San Fran - I see them taking a CB or Qb.
8. Tennesee - No
9. Dallas - I see CB in their future

So while it's a possibility he does go early, it's also a possibility that he falls into the 10 spot, which is a doable trade from 19.

I think once teams overanalyze his game tape, they might be a little cautious about him, bc he is a project after all. Especially 3-4 teams, he's just not big enough to be a 3-4 LB right now, you're safer going after Quinn.

We'll see. If he starts to slip, we should consider it.

Again, that's if and only if he looks good today at LB.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:27 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Based off what Mayock was saying, all 32 teams will be taking a look close at him and he thinks he can certain play in the 4-3.

Your projection is also highly speculative. I could easily see him going to Buffalo, Arizona, Cleveland (we run a 4-3 and are interested in him, why wouldn't they?), San Fran and possibly even Dallas if Dareus/Prince/PP are gone.

Also, from what I've seen written, Fox said he may stick with the 3-4.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

The thing is, I highly doubt a team who picks in the top 10 would invest a top 10 pick in a 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

So to me, the teams that would select him there would be teams who view him as a 3-4 OLB. 2 teams realistically are a possibility in this scenario, Arizona and Buffalo.

We would consider moving there for him as an impact 4-3 OLB bc we're pretty much desperate for LB help. And ownership has made it known that they want an impact linebacker.

And we don't have as many holes as other teams, so I can see us going after him if ownership pushes the LB card hard enough.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:40 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

I would be for it because I really like Miller (seems like a great guy too), but I have always disliked the idea of trading a second round pick. They're just too valuable in the draft today. You can get first round talent deep into the second round.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I know. It's a tough pill to swallow.

Chances are we wouldn't do it anyway. Reese isn't a guy who likes moving around and giving picks away. He loves his picks too much.