Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 01-11-2011, 11:00 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
That's what I thought.. I get the reports for the 3 guys confused but one said may have hard time handling fast pass rushers. It reminded me of David D. right away. I don't want another version of David D.
David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:02 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
David Diehl is an All Pro caliber LG and a probowl caliber RT. I'd love another David Diehl, just not to play LT.
Yeah that's how I feel as well. I wouldn't that in the 1st round either though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:08 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Does Carimi remind you of Diehl? Punishing run blocker and average pass protector. Sounds very similar.
Not really. I think Carimi's pass protection is underrated. He's a lot stronger than Diehl, and he's got a better punch to him too. And he's stood the test vs some quality pass rushers. I think we're all selling Carimi short bc we automatically assume a big strong nasty run blocker who doesn't have the quickest feet can't be a LT. It's overanalysis by the scouts in my opinion, everyone is so caught up looking for the "prototype"

Look at Jason Smith. The guy was the prototype LT with the quick feet and all that jazz, and he's a bust.

Gabe does a great job of using his strength to absolutely stonewall pass rushers. Bc he's so strong, he can take that deep step to defend teh speed rush and not worry about getting beat inside bc once they try the inside move, he just uses his strength to stop them in their tracks.

And you can't bullrush Gabe either.

He reminds me a lot of Jake Long honestly.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
Well at LT is what I mean. Let him play LG.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just go back and try to catch some Wisconsin tape if you can, and just watch him pass protect.

Watch him pass protect, watch his feet, his form, his balance, his punch, his arm extension etc, and then tell me he can't play LT. I love his game, I think he can do it all. I hear all the knocks on him, but when I watch him play I see a beast out there.

I really think he's being slept on.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

And in my eyes, the worst case scenario is he becomes McKenzie's replacement at RT, and I'm telling you, at worst this guy is going to be a monster RT in the pros. Which is fine with me at pick 19. I don't see how we lose with him.

But to be fair, I am higher on him than most.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's another thing which reminds me.. How come around this time every year everyone refers to film as tape? You hear fans say I watched tape of him? Where are you getting the tape from? Live game recorded? That's not tape.. Youtube highlight videos? That isn't tape either.

BBD, just reminded me. It seems I see this every year on various MBs. You hear people say, I saw lots of tape on him.. Where? Did that person call the college and they send them coaches tape? Do they know an NFL scout? Because the other stuff hardly constitutes as tape.

Just something that bothers me around this time of year. Not to single you out BBD, but when you mentioned tape, I remembered it. I was looking at all that this weekend where people, around this time, all sound like scouts.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Yeah, I have a bad tendency to do that. When I refer to tape, I'm really refering to TV footage, recorded games.

I have no access to eye in the sky tape obviously. It's just a bad habit of mine.

My uncle used to record every Giants game in the 80s on VHS, and from then on I'd just call em game tapes as a bad habit.

I learned a lot from those old games though.
Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Not not to single you. But I hear or read it a lot during this time. Rarely I read, hey I saw a youtube video on this guy or taped a live game of him. It's I saw a bunch of tape on him. All of a sudden those things become formal tape, now that it is draft scouting time. Just a pet peeve, because I see it a lot now.

You get draft guys or fans who think they are experts saying that they saw tape on him, and on another guy, when in reality it's probably a bunch of youtube videos or a 3 minute highlight of him. Maybe even throw NFL network actually game film. Now all of a sudden, the person is a draftnik.
I hear ya. I'm usually waaaay behind come draft time bc I rarely watch college football. I just can't get into it. Luckily for me, I have a couple of friends who swear by it and I get to see the stuff they DVR. So what I personally do is, check out some names from this site, go back and find whatever games they recorded and see if I have any games of them, and watch them. Then I form an opinion on em based on the 2 or 3 games I got to see.

Hardly a perfect system, but it's better than nothing. I feel I'd be a much better evaluator of college talent if I watched the games.

And when I have nothing on a guy, I revert to youtube. Obviously a flawed way of evaluating, but again, it's better than nothing.

NFL network does a great job of showing some actual tape. But the sample size is so small. Mayock is great though. When in doubt, trust Mayock. The guy is money. I don't care much for Kiper or McShay, but Mayock is legit.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Mayock is a draft nerd basically. My favorite draft expert. Something about when he speaks and how he talks about each prospect it makes you feel comfortable with what he is saying.

I don't watch college football either so I don't even bother rating players because I know I can't do a good job without real game film. So why bother? So I just look at draft sites, and wait until Mayock gives his opinion.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Letting someone else tell you who's good takes all the fun out of it. It's the offseason, this is a nice way of killing time until the season starts up again.

I probably won't dwell on the draft as much as I used to though bc the Knicks will hold it down for me in the offseason now. I had that void for the past 10 years, but my Knicks are finally back in business, so I'll probably focus on the Knicks a lot more now when the football season is over.

I'm actually a bigger Knicks fan than a Giants fan, it's just you guys haven't seen it bc the Knicks have been so awful. And unlike football, basketball doesn't have the same parity or offseason hope that football has so it's hard to stay passionate when your team was as horrible as the Knicks were.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha, glad to see you guys love Mayock too. I'm a huge fan and he's the main reason I only watch the draft on NFL Network (in addition to Rich Eisen being hilarious).

Damn, I can't wait for the Senior Bowl and Combine..
Old 01-11-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Now that I switched to Dish Network and get NFL network, I barely watch ESPN anymore. NFL network's coverage of the draft is lightyears ahead of ESPN.

I put a lot of weight into the Senior Bowl. I know a lot of people view the practices as more important than the game, but I put a lot of emphasis on the game. I usually fall in love with a couple of prospects from that game. That's where I grew a hard on for Geno Atkins, Clay Matthews, Sean Witherspoon, Brandon Graham, and plenty of others.

I love the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I need to switch to a company that has NFL Network, I hate ESPN

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:04 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

What's everyone's thoughts on Jared Gaither? He's on the market. I question his work ethic and that back scares me. But if healthy, he's a beast of a LT.

Dare we take a gamble on him?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:11 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Naa we already have Shawn Andrews. They're very similar but we don't have to give up anything for Andrews.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Good point.

I'm iffy on Gaither. I wanted him coming out and was kinda pissed that we didn't give up a 5th to get him. As a player on the field, I love the guy, but the baggage scares me a lot. I don't know how Id feel if we did indeed get him. Part of me would like it, part of me wouldn't.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Man, I'm really not that into these linebackers. I catch myself trying to do the same thing I did last year. Last year I tried selling myself on Rolando McClain but every time I saw him play, I was largely unimpressed. I came to my senses finally and it turns out my gut was right so far on him, but I catch myself doing the same thing with these linebackers right now.

I'm trying to sell myself on guys, but I just don't see any that really stands out to me yet. Maaaybe Bruce Carter is the guy? He misses tackles though. Quan is too slow for my liking, we need a fast linebacker. Greg Jones is just too damn small.

The only guy I really like is Herz, but he has serious issues, and there's no guarantee he ever gets back to his old form. And he's clearly not a first round player anyway.

As much as I want a 1st round linebacker, I just haven't seen any that wows me. And this is a weak draft too. I don't want us to reach for marginal talent.
Old 01-13-2011, 09:08 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Naa we already have Shawn Andrews. They're very similar but we don't have to give up anything for Andrews.
I wont rely on Andrews for anything now. With that back of his, he could be out for any stretch of time. I'd go about it like he wasn't on the team, and if he plays that's a bonus if not, then it was expected.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

Washington State's Mason Foster;Im really intrigued with the physical tools and the tenacity that Foster brings, can't wait to see him in the senior bowl, I'm curious how he looks in pass coverage because he is a potential rock against the run. I like him for our SAM.

Last edited by DOMINATEtheline : 01-13-2011 at 02:19 PM.
DOMINATEtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
DOMINATEtheline
Rookie

DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.DOMINATEtheline is so money.

I understand 100% I'm in the process of trying to buy into Akeem Ayers. But my immediate questions are is he more than capable in pass coverage, does he have the hip flexibility, is he a fit in a 4-3 defense, is he violent/physcial enough? What are your thoughts on him? He looks like 3-4 OLB off the bat...
Time will tell, Combine and pro day...
DOMINATEtheline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I hear Mason Foster is catching buzz. Unfortunately, I have no recorded games of Washington, so I can't put the eyeball on him until the Senior Bowl.

Is he any better than Bruce Carter though?

Honestly, we need a MIKE. We need a fast sideline to sideline MIKE who can also put his hat in the run game. Basically our own Curtis Lofton.

That's what's missing on our defense. We need that guy who can play that deep drop, have the range to chase backs out of the backfield, and also stop the run.

I want a 3 down MIKE.
Old 01-13-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i REALLY like Ayers, but moreso for his athletic ability. I'm afraid he doesn't really fit the 4-3, and well...poor ol' sintim is still trying to get that 4-3 SAM position but he too is better off in a 3-4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOMINATEtheline View Post
I understand 100% I'm in the process of trying to buy into Akeem Ayers. But my immediate questions are is he more than capable in pass coverage, does he have the hip flexibility, is he a fit in a 4-3 defense, is he violent/physcial enough? What are your thoughts on him? He looks like 3-4 OLB off the bat...
Time will tell, Combine and pro day...

I think we'll pass on Ayers. We already have Sintim. I think we need to move past that experiment and draft pure linebackers from now on.

The DE/OLB hybrid SAM experiment needs to be put on the shelf for good.