Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

We all know the weaknesses on the team (def end,receiver,olb,off line,corner) however we need a quality pick for the first 2 picks bottom line. It would be ridculous to force a pick and get a lesser player with so many needs on the team. Sure, I want a def end the biggest need but I wouldn't accept a lesser player if a olb,receiver,off lineman etc as a better chance to be a pro bowler. We need playmakers and its the only way to be able to beat the better teams consistently.

Who will be on the board when pick 27 comes that's is the key, and our 2nd round pick. I point those 2 rounds out because history shows those teams who do well in those rounds do well as winning organizations. I want no more Jams,Pickens,Bruce types who were way over drafted due to our poor scouting.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:14 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
What does everyone think of Justin Houston as a Falcon? I watched every college game the guy played, but just don't have a strong opinion on him. He made lots of plays the last 2 years, but I'm not sure what to make of his all around game.
I'm definitely a fan.

Here's a question of mine. A few years ago, we were very interested in Clay Matthews. I didn't like his fit in the 4-3, but it's obvious the dude can play some football, probably at any position. The question is, does anyone see us looking into Brooks Reed? Similar type of rise leading up to the draft, similar playing styles, etc.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really not sure who I want with our 1st two picks. The majority of the players I really wanna see will be gone like Robert Quinn, Aldon Smith, AJ Green, Julio Jones and so on. I've seen some mocks that have us taking Ryan Kerrigan or JJ Watt which would be simply amazing, but I really can't see either of those falling to us. WR is a good option but I'm not sure which WR would be a good pick at 27.

Torrey Smith has all the potential to be a #1 WR. He has the size, speed, amazing athletic ability but I've read places he doesn't run good routes outside of going deep, but I think he'll learn the ways from Roddy White.

Leonard Hankerson would be a solid option. Personally my favorite WR prospect in this draft. He does everything well and doesn't really have any flaws. Does everything good but nothing spectacular which makes me wonder if he is a 1st round talent, but I seriously doubt he will be available at our 2nd rounder which makes things difficult.

Titus Young would be the biggest/most dangerous WR, which is what we need. He has Desean Jackson written all over him. We desperately need a guy who can stretch the field and make big plays over and over over.

I can't decide who i want at 27 :/

EDIT: not saying I only want WR in the 1st, thats jus my focus for today

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with all the receivers is they are all going early to mid 2nd. No one jumped themselves into the #27 position, but they will all be gone by the time we pick again. I'd say Torrey Smith is the most likely, because of his intelligence and the fact that he'll put up a 4.3-4.37 40 on his home turf.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
flrybranch
Rookie

flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.flrybranch could make a wolverine purr.

Voted DE, and would be happy to see Watts or Kerrigan make it to 27.

Would also be happy with an explosive WR like Smith.

I think T.D. will have 5-6 players he will be happy taking in Rnd 1.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly Torrey Smith not running good routes is ********. The faster you are, the harder it is to run a good crisp routes. That's why you see in football a lot of these slow white receivers running the best routes, but yet they're never open.

In the NFL it's all about how fast you can break and make yourself open. Roddy White doesn't run the best routes. Often times he'll get lazy and make a complete circle when doing a curl route or something. But he always comes back for the football and can makes the tough catch in traffic. That's what really makes him successful.

I hate when people criticize WRs for not running good routes, see if he gets open or not.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Boring. Let's move on. We aren't drafting Trent Richardson. He'll be gone long before us, and we won't be dumping Turner.
I agree, everyone has their opinion and I have mine, let's move on
FTRWRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Honestly Torrey Smith not running good routes is ********. The faster you are, the harder it is to run a good crisp routes. That's why you see in football a lot of these slow white receivers running the best routes, but yet they're never open.

In the NFL it's all about how fast you can break and make yourself open. Roddy White doesn't run the best routes. Often times he'll get lazy and make a complete circle when doing a curl route or something. But he always comes back for the football and can makes the tough catch in traffic. That's what really makes him successful.

I hate when people criticize WRs for not running good routes, see if he gets open or not.
Plenty of fast people run perfectly fine routes. It's a legitimate concern. Unless it's running deep, Torrey struggles with his routes. While what you said is true, Roddy is still a good route runner, and extremely benefits from being one of, if not the most physical receivers in the NFL. And on the subject of Torrey, coming back to the ball and making a play is going to be a lot more difficult when he never catches the ball correctly.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:10 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Desean Jackson's routes make me laugh, hes just so fast he just runs where he wants
Old 03-03-2011, 08:07 AM    (permalink
DraftMichaelHuff
Veteran

DraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairDraftMichaelHuff is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Sidenote on Judging Players

Its really not that hard guys...look at these guys like you are evaluating them like it is a job interview. We have seen 3 drafts now, we have seen countless interviews with guys we have drafted and its the same with all of them. Watch an interview, look if they make eye contact, see how well spoken they are, thats how I normally determine weather our staff would like or dislike a player. Im not trying to be politically incorrect or anything like that but intellegence translates over to the football feild, an ability to communicate and understand your role translates onto the football feild. If Cam Newton came out in 2008, Ill bet lefty we do not take him.

Below is Robert Quinn, this guy interviewed far better than I expected. I believe he is #1 (or close to) on TD's big board (rulling out those bona-fide top 5 players). I love his breakdown at the 5.00 minute mark, If this man gets to #15 I believe you might see us make a move upwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7r_McC_gHo
Old 03-03-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

He was also suspended and left school early. What we do is we take productive seniors who were team captains and usually squeaky clean. Which is why talking to Noel Devine was initially surprising, but then you look at what he has become and it was less surprising.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Grim Reaper hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTRWRTR View Post
I hope they don't go overboard drafting offensive players. They need to focus on the defensive side of the ball.

Defensive players can be explosive as well. Guys like Robert Mathis and a younger Ray Lewis come to mind. I read Smitty's comments as meaning as much, to add playmakers no matter which side of the ball they're on.

I'll say this, we've spent at least the first two picks of the last two drafts drafting defensive players and it might be time to spend the same on the offensive side this time around.
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Falcons placed a second round tender on Snelling. That must mean they really like what he brings to the passing game, because they were hardly using him to run the ball as the season progressed. Drafting a RB early now seems less likely. They will likely either draft a RB in the mid to late rounds or just sign a veteran free agent. They have to have someone to help run the ball. Snelling became ineffective as a runner and it was clear Turner wore down late in the year.

edit: I'm wondering if they're targeting Anthony Allen in the late rounds or as a UDFA.

^What I just did to your argument

Last edited by Halsey : 03-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

would you be against bringing in John Clay in the late rounds/UDFA?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
I wouldn't be against it, but from what I've seen, he's not much more than a power runner. With someone like Allen, you get more speed and pass catching ability.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:49 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wouldn't be against it, but from what I've seen, he's not much more than a power runner. With someone like Allen, you get more speed and pass catching ability.
that is a very good point.

Sig by BK

Old 03-03-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FTRWRTR is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
I would, he reminds me of former wisconsin rbs ron dayne and pj hill..big, power guys who were productive in college but too slow for the pro's.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Mario Fannin would be a decent 3rd day pick up who fits the need for a change of pace back that can be used in the passing game. Him running a 4.37 in the forty at 231 lbs impresses me.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Snelling is a very good back-up. He is outstanding for us on third downs and when Turner has been hurt he has stepped in and performed.

However, I still think we need to take a back relatively early either this year or next. I'm starting to think next.

Oh, and Fannin is not good. He's just another Chris Henry.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Fannin was good enough to average a high ypc and catch a lot of passes at Auburn. He's also apparently talented enough to be on NFL radars despite being the 4th leading rusher at Auburn. I have no idea if he'll be good, but I'm interested. Auburn is a RB factory and he may have been a feature back for most teams.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He had every opportunity to be the top guy at Auburn. He didn't make the most of those opportunities. He was passed up by younger players (McCalleb, Dyer, Smith) and utilized mostly at WR late in his career. There aren't many reasons to put a 235 lb. back with 4.3 speed at WR. He just isn't a natural RB.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I'm pretty sure Snelling's tender is meaningless when a new CBA is reached.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He had every opportunity to be the top guy at Auburn. He didn't make the most of those opportunities. He was passed up by younger players (McCalleb, Dyer, Smith) and utilized mostly at WR late in his career. There aren't many reasons to put a 235 lb. back with 4.3 speed at WR. He just isn't a natural RB.
There were other talented backs at Auburn. That doesn't mean Fannin can't be a good NFL player. He did well and was productive when given the ball.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

In our system he wont be forced to be the featured guy but would thrive as a 3rd down option that has the speed to be a home-run threat. Plus he's a willing blocker which is important in our system.

At 231 lbs he may not be as brittle as Norwood either.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
FTRWRTR
Rookie

Quote:
There were other talented backs at Auburn. That doesn't mean Fannin can't be a good NFL player. He did well and was productive when given the ball.
What you say is true, that said when I see a player with the measurables that Fanin has it concerns me that he wasn't able to win the job outright or be more productive in college. I think the comparison to chris henry is apt. I guess what I'm saying is a version of , "game film don't lie". We shouldn't get caught up in their measurables and ignore what they actually did or didn't do in the actual games.