Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-24-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
dmoney1632
Rookie

dmoney1632 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hello, I am a newb but anywho, I post on the atlanta falcons message board ALOT and I decided to join today since I am a draft nut.

In regards to the Falcons pressing needs, The falcons have to add more overall talent on the team. They need more explosive players on offense and need a defense end that can get after the passer. Also need more GIRTH at the DT position. I understand the rotation idea but we just need more weight on the front line...
dmoney1632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney1632 View Post
Hello, I am a newb but anywho, I post on the atlanta falcons message board ALOT and I decided to join today since I am a draft nut.

In regards to the Falcons pressing needs, The falcons have to add more overall talent on the team. They need more explosive players on offense and need a defense end that can get after the passer. Also need more GIRTH at the DT position. I understand the rotation idea but we just need more weight on the front line...
Welcome. Disagree on a big NT. It doesn't fit our system. We are fine at stopping the run. We don't need a NT who is going to just clog. We need someone who can get after the passer. Peria Jerry and company failed to provide that at the spot next to Babs.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Adding a bigger guy on the interior of the D-Line will not solve the issue we have with being explosive and getting to the QB. After drafting peria in round 1 and peters in round 3, I don't think we should spend any more draft picks on them. Vance Walker has also been really reliable on running downs as well.

We need the opposite of a clogger on the D-Line. We need a consistent play maker, disruptor, for when John Abraham can't do it by himself. It's sad but we also might need to spend a higher pick on a CB then we might want to because our nickels are ****. OLB is definitely another option, especially a pass rusher and/or cover guy. Tall and rangy.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
dmoney1632
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Welcome. Disagree on a big NT. It doesn't fit our system. We are fine at stopping the run. We don't need a NT who is going to just clog. We need someone who can get after the passer. Peria Jerry and company failed to provide that at the spot next to Babs.
Well, if we got a bigger nose, it could eat up a guy and allow for more one on ones. Peria isnt back all the way from his ACL injury so next year should be the telling year. And our scheme is horrendous. You play 10 yards off with the corner but yet you want to zone blitz. You allow all the underneath stuff.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
dmoney1632
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Adding a bigger guy on the interior of the D-Line will not solve the issue we have with being explosive and getting to the QB. After drafting peria in round 1 and peters in round 3, I don't think we should spend any more draft picks on them. Vance Walker has also been really reliable on running downs as well.

We need the opposite of a clogger on the D-Line. We need a consistent play maker, disruptor, for when John Abraham can't do it by himself. It's sad but we also might need to spend a higher pick on a CB then we might want to because our nickels are ****. OLB is definitely another option, especially a pass rusher and/or cover guy. Tall and rangy.
I think thats more of a schematics thing with the CBs. We zone blitz as you know but we do not press the WRs so we allow the underneath stuff and allow the no knock of the timing between the QB and WR
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney1632 View Post
Well, if we got a bigger nose, it could eat up a guy and allow for more one on ones. Peria isnt back all the way from his ACL injury so next year should be the telling year. And our scheme is horrendous. You play 10 yards off with the corner but yet you want to zone blitz. You allow all the underneath stuff.
It is what is is. And on a pass rush situation, a big run stuffing nose tackle isn't taking up two blockers. I mean, who wouldn't mind adding a big NT, but we have way more pressing issues.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:32 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Okay I admit, I was trying to be impartial here, I'm a big football fan, but my primary team is the Falcons. I have remained neutral long enough. I think what he has to say about explosive players is right on, and I think the NT thing is a farse. Now if we could get a B.J. Raji or Haloti Ngata, sure, but the Falcons D-Line is predicated on penetration, not clogging. Just like J-ville did with 2 pass rushing DTs, I think that is ideally what Mike Smith wants to bring here.

Babs is holding down 1 side, but I must admit, this was an off year for him. Peters was a pleasant surprise, but does prove to lack that burst that Peria has. I know people say it takes a while to come back, but I think at the end of the season Jerry proved that he's back. If you go back and look at his sack, look at his burst, we only have 2 DEs with that sort of explosion, JA55 and Sid. I like Kroy, but Jerry's get off on that sack would have made most DEs in the NFL jealous.

Jamaal Anderson had his best year as a pro(not saying much I know) but he finally showed aggression and punch. It's taken him a long time, but isn't he only like 25 now? He's not making big money, hope they keep him around as a 5th DT and 5th DE.

People who are worried about the nickel, I tend to agree, BUT, what about Franks? That kid can play some football, ask Larry Fitzgerald. After seeing him man up Fitz I was shocked he didn't make his way into the lineup. I'm also not sure how Williams held a roster spot, Smith must be soft for him.

Time to let a couple of the vets go. B-Finn, thank you for 180000 3rd down conversions, but your time has come. B-Williams, thank you for helping us hold down the fort, but it's time to bring in some fresh talent, we have our vet leader in Dunta. E-Coleman, you're a good player, but we're looking for great, we have 2 potentially great safeties, your time has come. Harvey, mean man, You did well establishing a name for yourself, but too many times you got beat on twists this year, too many times your aggressiveness hurt you, unless you're willing to take what your worth, and not what you think your worth, I think you may have to walk. It pains me that there's not a spot for B-finn anymore, but we have to get some explosion out there.

As far as young guys go who I think are on thin ice:
Harry Douglas, buddy you have all the talent in the world, and you prolly earn a pass cause you had a couple big plays, but there were a few big plays you left out on the field, and there were a lot of times you just weren't looking focused enough. Here's your warning

Justin Blaylock, you were the strongest man at the combine, you showed amazing potential in year 1, got better in year 2, but this year, you appeared, in a bad way. Time to become the invisible man, and keep yourself off player's highlight reels. You've been warned

Jerious Norwood, insane talent, amazingly nice guy, perfect character fit for the Falcons, and truly what we were lacking out of the backfield for explosive plays, if you get an extension here, you'd better get a Kevlar body suit and never take it off. You're out of warnings

Antone Smith, when given opportunities (no matter how predictable) you didn't show up, great special teams play keeps you on the roster, but if you can only contribute on special teams, you may need to move on. You've been warned, pan hands.

Players I think we're really going to have to rely on next season:

#1 Franks. You showed how good you can be, manning up Larry Fitzgerald, however, that was the end of a blowout and no one knows if he was going 100% But you've got the potential, step up and take someone's spot.

#2 Owens. Another CB, this dude lit the world on fire on the outside corner spot as a rookie, looked like Atlanta had that position solved. But as a nickel corner you look lost, if Grimes is brought back, you've got a fight for your life on your hands.

#3 Sean Weatherspoon. Anyone else noticing a trend? We've got to have some Defensive playmakers step up and make plays. Spoon, you've got great charisma, and you are the baby lion, but if you want to survive in this league, you've gotta make more plays. I think you've got what it takes, but we need ya to go beastmode and start to let things slow down for you. P.S. Jerious may have some info on a Kevlar suit, you seem like a klutz with freak injuries.

#4 Peria Jerry. Okay man, you're back, you're healthy, and now it's time to produce. Go take that starting spot back from that rookie who took it from you. Kentucky vs Ole Miss, who's going to win. I'm pulling for ya, we need you pushing the pocket up the middle.

#5 Matt Ryan. Michael Turner is a great back, he's helped a lot, but he's not got the explosion to really break it off from nothing, he's becoming easier to tackle it seems, and he's not running with purpose, many times this year I thought 45 was back in our backfield. But Ryan, this is your team, it's your time, time to truly take over the offense, and take Mularkey out of his job. You call the plays, you run the game, throw it 30 a game if that's what it takes to win, but now is the time. We need more from ya, if you want to go to the Pro Bowl again, you're really going to have to step up after that playoff stinker you laid.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We need Sidbury or Biermann to really step it up big time next year. For Sid, since he missed last year, if he doesn't show up in preseason and play much, he might not even be getting a pay check. What's the use of keeping him if he won't dress at all.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-24-2011, 05:33 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I actually think this is the only year where Blalock looked good. We definitely need to get better in pass pro though. Matt doesn't get his credit there. He gets rid of the ball quick and can extend some plays. While it's a strong run blocking group, the pass pro leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I actually think this is the only year where Blalock looked good. We definitely need to get better in pass pro though. Matt doesn't get his credit there. He gets rid of the ball quick and can extend some plays. While it's a strong run blocking group, the pass pro leaves a lot to be desired.
I was going to say the same thing but got side tracked by something else. Blalock was not good at all first two years. This is the only year where he didn't stand out, which is a great thing if you're an OG. He progressed but Harvey Dahl regressed.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I'm still really feeling Jernigan in the draft.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 PM    (permalink
Doubja94
Rookie

Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I'm still really feeling Jernigan in the draft.
I'd be good for either him or Titus Young. Young looked really good today at the 1st senior bowl practice the worst part about his day was his weigh in
Doubja94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:16 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubja94 View Post
I'd be good for either him or Titus Young. Young looked really good today at the 1st senior bowl practice the worst part about his day was his weigh in
The thing with Titus is he looks more like a deep threat. We don't need that too much because it doesn't play to Matt's strengths. Although, I wouldn't complain if we got him. I'm really starting to like the name Steve Breaston too. Wouldn't cost too much and would really be a perfect fit.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:35 PM    (permalink
Doubja94
Rookie

Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.Doubja94 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
The thing with Titus is he looks more like a deep threat. We don't need that too much because it doesn't play to Matt's strengths. Although, I wouldn't complain if we got him. I'm really starting to like the name Steve Breaston too. Wouldn't cost too much and would really be a perfect fit.
Yea I love me some breaston. I was just looking into him and the other free agent wide receivers and although Vincent Jackson would be awesome I just don't see us signing him. I think Breaston would fit in well and like you said probably pretty cheap. My dream would be to pick up Breaston and Charles Johnson in Free agency
Doubja94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This year was a complete wash for Sidbury. He can make big plays, I'm shocked that he wasn't on the field at all and Jamaal Anderson played another year of football.

I think we like the fact that Allen Bailey is a tweener. We want to play him inside and out, he would replace JA98 with much more efficiency of course
Watched just about every Miami game. Allen Bailey is an absolute manimal. When he plays well, he can take over games at times. He also is one of those guys that gives maximum effort at all times, and will not take plays off. One of the most powerful players in the draft, and is also extremely versatile. He actually started off as a LB at the U. Would love this pick.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Not too long ago I was all depressed about the way the season ended. I'm so glad the Senior Bowl, and Mock drafts are here! Such a good feeling, that excitement that's been missing is coming back. WOOHOO FOR FOOTBALL!!!

Sorry, getting a little bit caught up there. I love the idea of Breaston, but Arizona can't afford to lose him and fitz the year after they lost Boldin, they won't let him get away imo. I do think he'd be a very very good fit opposite Roddy though.

I have to agree with you DK, That kid jumped out at me every Miami game I saw this year, he just seems like a 'manimal'

Sorry to jump back to last year for a second, but talking about players from "the U" friggin Sam Shields, I had this guy pegged as my sleeper at the corner position, gah why couldn't TD make that happen?! I mean I'm going to be happy with Franks too, but why not Franks AND Shields? C'mon, that'd have been insane! Btw, does anyone else want to see our FO take more 'risks' on younger players and quit playing it safe with Vets who can't get it done? (B. Williams)
Old 01-25-2011, 10:16 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Who are you keeping your eyes on @ the Senior Bowl this week? Who are some players you guys really like?

Personally I love DeMarco Murray, I think he'd be an exceptional CoP back for us in say round 3? Also Greg Little, man that guy can do so much, he's an exciting player for me.

Lance Kendricks is a guy I have interest in as well as Luke Stocker.

Hankerson interests me, even at 6'1 he can still play some serious football.

I still would like to upgrade the LT spot if we can. Gabe Carimi seems like he could be there in the late first round, has the potential to be a nice upgrade. Then move Baker to guard, where he could take advantage of having those shorter arms and could be a very nimble guard. Who knows, I'm just spit ballin here.

Derek Sherrod is also a guy who interests me. I don't know of any elite Centers this year, and we could really really use one sine McClure is bound to be done, with the way he cost us at the end of the year, against New Orleans, and against Green Bay in the playoffs (seriously who drops into pass pro on a QB sneak) He's been the anchor for a long time, but I don't think he's got anything left.

On the defensive side, holy cow are there some nasty friggin DEs this year. I covet Jordan and Bailey at the end of the first, if we could get one of those guys, I'd be okay with going defense again, even though I think our offense is only a #2 WR and CoP back from being able to do anything we want with the ball. Would be nice to get Gonzo's replacement too though. Back to the DEs I think right now my list for DEs for the Falcons (discounting those who have 0% chance of slipping)

1.) Cameron Jordan
2.) Allen Bailey
3.) Ryan Kerrigan

Obviously it'd be great to add another CB and another LB as well. But I don't want some crummy CB or crummy LB, I want some impact guys out there. Peterson has a knack for big plays, we need someone like that, but younger so they can make it through the season a little better, and lets be honest, Pete is winding down.

Last edited by the_dark_knight : 01-25-2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM    (permalink
Draft King
All-Pro

Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Draft King is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Somebody that really stood out to me after watching the North practice this morning was cornerback Jalil Brown out of Colorado. He is one of those guys we could probably grab in the 4th or 5th, and actually could end up being a very solid nickleback. He was overshadowed by teammate Jimmy Smith during the early draft process, but I didn't see him get beat once today.

Titus Young looked really good too, Mayock kept referring to him as a DeSean Jackson clone. The only problem is, like Jackson but not as much an extreme, apparently Young may have some off the field issues. Would love for us to grab him, but may not be a T.D guy.
Draft King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:01 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Just rolling through, here are some guys I'm a fan of at each position who could be available at times when we'd reasonably pick them

QB: Chirs Redman won't be around forever, and who knows if JPW is #2 worthy. Wouldn't hurt us to grab a project from late 4 on.

Colin Kaepernick (Supposedly he hasn't impressed. I think someone will fall in love with his tools and draft him earlier, but if not, grab him.)

RB: Obviously we have a major need for a #2 RB. I wouldn't take one in round 2, but all of these guys minus maybe Ryan Williams should be there for our 2nd pick, some of our 3rd and I'd be happy with all of them.

Ryan Williams
DeMarco Murray
Kendall Hunter
Taiwan Jones
Derrick Locke

WR: Clearly a need.

Jon Baldwin, Jerrell Jernigan, or Torrey Smith in Round 1. (Watch Jernigan's stock explode after the combine.)
Later on: Titus Young, Hankerson, Randall Cobb, Austin Pettis, Vincent Brown

TE: Need to get some young blood in at the position and give Michael Palmer some competition after Gonzo retires. I think we Gonzo back, we can safely be eliminated from Kyle Rudolph.

Lance Kendricks
DJ Williams (Like him just like I liked players like Aaron Hernandez and Dorin Dickerson last year. Might not be the ideal TE, but a matchup nightmare and just a good football player.)

OT: Need to push Baker, and Clabo might end up wanting too much.

Tyron Smith (He'll probably won't be available to us after the combine.)
Carimi, Solder, Costanzo. (I think there's a chance all 3 might be gone before our first pick. But each one brings sometime to the table, and I like all 3. Probably in the order I listed too.
Marcus Gilbert (I like this guy a lot. He might have to move to G, but I still think he fits as a tackle.)

G/C: (Probably not a huge need with Hawley and Johnson)
Marcus Cannon: Love him. Enormous, but moves so well.
Mike Pouncey: I think he started overrated because of his brother, but now underrated for the same reason. I think he's a damn good G at the next level.
John Moffitt: Reminds me of Dahl.
Stefen Wisniewski: Typical Falcon.

Defense later...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I really wanted that project QB for a couple of years now. Matt Schaub was a great success, and we should look to get something like that again.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I really wanted that project QB for a couple of years now. Matt Schaub was a great success, and we should look to get something like that again.

I like Christian Ponder a lot, but I don't think this is the year for us to be spending anything earlier than a 5th on a QB.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:08 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I like Christian Ponder a lot, but I don't think this is the year for us to be spending anything earlier than a 5th on a QB.
Yea we really have a lot of holes to fill, that we can't afford spending picks on QB that early.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-08-2011, 09:35 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

we need this kind of explosion!

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

It's a shame we have our stance on character issues. I like Johnny Patrick out of the slot. Kendric Bruney is an amazing cover 2 nickel pick.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I see a lot of mocks having us taking Allen Bailey. While I like his athleticism and size, I don't think he's the player we need. I wouldn't be upset though, but I think we need a much faster guy of the snap and someone with pass rusher moves. Guy like Justin Houston or Aldon Smith.

Quote:
we all hate you