Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2011, 06:11 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
I see a lot of mocks having us taking Allen Bailey. While I like his athleticism and size, I don't think he's the player we need. I wouldn't be upset though, but I think we need a much faster guy of the snap and someone with pass rusher moves. Guy like Justin Houston or Aldon Smith.
Initially I really loved the thought of Bailey. Watching him at Miami he just popped out. But after hearing more about his lack of pass rush moves it's obvious that he just dominated under qualified prospects when I was watching him. 1 move...the Bullrush, which yes, is good, but when it's your only move it's just going to take a guy who's bigger and stronger than you or someone with better technique to stonewall you. We have that with Jamaal, so I'd rather get someone with a more developed set of moves.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He does indeed only have the bull rush and he was exposed during senior bowl practices, but you can't help but love to have a physical monster like that on your team.

but we really need a technician like John Abraham. Greg Romeus is another guy i really love and we could get him possibly in the 3rd.

Sig by: OSUGiants

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
He does indeed only have the bull rush and he was exposed during senior bowl practices, but you can't help but love to have a physical monster like that on your team.

but we really need a technician like John Abraham. Greg Romeus is another guy i really love and we could get him possibly in the 3rd.
Another name that I've been really hot on lately. I think that guy could end up being a huge steal.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From an article I was reading about TD

Dimitroff said. “We have discussed team building and philosophies at great lengths over the years on a number of levels. Our approach is very congruent as far as building teams with character guys who believe in the team concept.”

Both men have made it a point to acquire players who have been leaders in college and/or in other NFL stops. That’s how the Falcons ended up with Matt Ryan, Tony Gonzalez and Curtis Lofton. In fact, 13 of the 26 players Dimitroff has drafted were college captains.

The Falcons and Chiefs also have prioritized character, as the Patriots have. “All three teams are mindful of picking guys who might not necessarily be angelic, but they are not destructive to the team with things like suspensions and arrests,” Dimitroff said.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:33 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was going to say the same thing but got side tracked by something else. Blalock was not good at all first two years. This is the only year where he didn't stand out, which is a great thing if you're an OG. He progressed but Harvey Dahl regressed.
Btw Blalock is set to be a FA right? What are the chances he's re-signed? Dallas probably needs two new starters at OG this upcoming season and Blalock being a Plano, Tx native I think Jerry is gonna want to bring him back home.

I haven't seen him play all that much for you guys I just seem to remember most of you being disappointed with his play most of the time playing for ATL. Glad he picked up his play though, he was never without talent so it was always a surprise he struggled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Btw Blalock is set to be a FA right? What are the chances he's re-signed? Dallas probably needs two new starters at OG this upcoming season and Blalock being a Plano, Tx native I think Jerry is gonna want to bring him back home.

I haven't seen him play all that much for you guys I just seem to remember most of you being disappointed with his play most of the time playing for ATL. Glad he picked up his play though, he was never without talent so it was always a surprise he struggled.
As of right now I'm not sure about his chances of resigning, we have a few guy on the o-line that have expiring contracts and we won't ink them all. I'd say Blalock is about 50/50 since we do have a replacement if he leaves.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-14-2011, 05:32 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post

Along with Bos, I'd say it's probably 50/50. I highly doubt we resign both him and Dahl, so it's just a matter or our preference at that point.

Yeah, I was shocked that he had some many struggles his first two years. He wasn't elite this year, but he definitely took a few steps forward and had a nice season. Good fit in the D, I'd think.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I think Blalock will get big bucks because he was highly touted coming out and hasn't missed a game in 4 years. That's a lot of experience and he's just in his prime right now, plus he has great size and was in a productive offense.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

I agree with Bos on this one. I think Blalock signs, and I think Dahl walks, and we let Mike step over to the right side guard position.

I think we re-sign Clabo and Blalock and Dahl walks. That's just my guess.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dark_knight View Post

I think we re-sign Clabo and Blalock and Dahl walks. That's just my guess.

I agree. Hopefully Clabo doesn't want elite money. He put up one helluva season though.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

That sounds good, I hope we also replace McClure. Now what are we going to do with Left Tacke? We could draft a one and save money we would spend on Clabo and just stick Baker there at RT, but then we'd have a rookie LT. I'm not sure.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-15-2011, 07:28 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

Quote:
That sounds good, I hope we also replace McClure. Now what are we going to do with Left Tacke? We could draft a one and save money we would spend on Clabo and just stick Baker there at RT, but then we'd have a rookie LT. I'm not sure.
Troubling for sure. The stability we've had with our offensive line is about to completely explode.

I think Clabo has been our best offensive lineman for about 4 years now, he's going to get paid, and he deserves it. We've got the cap space now that we can start to pay the guys who deserve it, as long as we don't go insane with big contracts, which I don't think we will do.

But we drafted McClure's replacement last year, at least that's what they were saying. I do agree though, McClure had a huge part in the loss vs New Orleans, and he also had a part in sqwelching the feeble comeback attempt against the Packers, seriously who drops into pass pro on a QB sneak?
Old 02-15-2011, 12:01 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

o- line explosion might be for the better.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I forgot to mention his name after seeing the Sugar Bowl, but Cameron Heyward is sick. He's a baller, would fit in great opposite John Abraham. I think he will be more productive in NFL then he was in college.

He has great strength and athleticism for his size. When they drafted Peria Jerry, they kept saying how well he moves sideline to sideline. This guy does it well, and oh, he is very intelligent and was a team leader/captain. Should be lingering around 27.

Plays much, much faster then Allen Bailey.

Check out 1:20, 2:18, 3:56

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

I like Cam a lot... as a 34 end. He doesn't really have a place on this team.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:07 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

I like him as a 3-4 DE as well, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be high on our big board. I think he'll slim down close to 280 for the combine and will get more serious looks from 4-3 teams.

I think any player that was a team captain, and has the personality, bloodlines, and grades compared to Cameron Heyward is a viable candidate for us. That's a short list when you consider needs and value just for our first pick.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-17-2011, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

If the Falcon's draft Bailey I'm going to be sick. He's one of the few I just don't want period. Heyward, if all the other def ends are gone (Aldon Smith,Jordan,Kerrigan.Clayborn,Bowers) and if TD think he can be a 7-9 sack def end eventually then sure take him. I just don't want to overdraft like we did on JAM and miss out on a star player. What's going to make the difference at beating the best teams is having top playmakers. Heyward would seem to upgrade our def end position and most def ends really don't produce alot there first few years. If Heyward's ultimate potential is a B+ vs another at a A- at another position I might just take the def end because they are so hard to find. However if there is a wide difference between whats left on the board at def end vs a much higher graded player at another position I'll take the higher graded player.

I like Heyward's bloodlines and being a 4 yr starter captain which are attributes TD likes drafting in his players. Whoever TD takes I'll buy into it although TD isn't flawless. Jerry and Baker don't look like they will be difference makers right now.I'm not throwing them away just saying that there were other better players on the board when we selected them.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:26 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
I like him as a 3-4 DE as well, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be high on our big board. I think he'll slim down close to 280 for the combine and will get more serious looks from 4-3 teams.

I think any player that was a team captain, and has the personality, bloodlines, and grades compared to Cameron Heyward is a viable candidate for us. That's a short list when you consider needs and value just for our first pick.

Meh, I think he'll be in the 290 range and be primed to be picked by someone like the Pats as he's a tremendous fit for them. Like I said, I like the guy a lot, but if we are going DE in the first, I want someone who had more than 3.5 sacks this past season.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
D-Rod
Veteran

D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.D-Rod is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Meh, I think he'll be in the 290 range and be primed to be picked by someone like the Pats as he's a tremendous fit for them. Like I said, I like the guy a lot, but if we are going DE in the first, I want someone who had more than 3.5 sacks this past season.
Agree 100%. We need an explosive pass-rusher, not a steady guy who's going to get 6-7 sacks a year. We have Biermann for that.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Wow, Kerrigan is such a perfect fit for us. No chance he falls though.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

“A.J. is going to be a fine addition to an NFL team and a major impact contributor in this league,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “Giving his combination of size, athleticism and big-play making ability, he’s going to do some excellent things in this league.”

Clearly trading up.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
“A.J. is going to be a fine addition to an NFL team and a major impact contributor in this league,” Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff said. “Giving his combination of size, athleticism and big-play making ability, he’s going to do some excellent things in this league.”

Clearly trading up.
not gonna happen bro.

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:13 AM    (permalink
Falconguru
Rookie

Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.Falconguru could make a wolverine purr.

To far to trade up not happening, I agree.
Falconguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

It's clearly happening.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-19-2011, 04:30 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It's clearly happening.
Agreed. Finneran and our 7th should do it