Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Atlanta Falcons Team Forum

Atlanta Falcons Team Forum Discuss the Falcons

View Poll Results: With the 27th pick, Falcons should...
Draft an explosive WR/RB 3 12.50%
Draft a TE to replace Gonzo in future 1 4.17%
Draft an OT to protect Matty Ice 4 16.67%
Draft a DE that can get to the QB 11 45.83%
Trade Down and get more picks 3 12.50%
Trade Up and get a better player 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-24-2011, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Grim Reaper hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Talking

New to this forum but not new posting about the Falcons. Would like too say I think a trade down might be the best option for us. Having the 27th pick in the first round is a excellent spot to do just that. If by chance we're able to convince the Broncos to move up from the second round ( they have two picks in the second at # 36 and # 46 ), we'd be able to draft a wide-out like Torrey Smith or Lenard Hankerson at 36 as it stands now, then take Rudolph with the 46th pick.

What would really make this plausible is if we'd be able to pick up a veteran DE to help out with the pass rush in FA.

Then with our 59th pick we'd be in a position to take RB Kendall Hunter or maybe a LB like Bruce Carter ( injury history not withstanding ).

Anyways I didn't mean to drool on my first post, but that would be the most ideal situation for me
Grim Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trading down is the best option most of the time, but it's really hard to find someone who is willing to trade up unless a player the like falls.

There is no way we can do that trade. If you're trading just picks, only way it would balance out is if we trade #27 and #60 for Broncos #36 and #46, which doesn't really make sense to do.

Sig by: BK

02:40 *** Chucky quit #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> yay, hes gone
02:40 *** Chucky joined #nfldraftcountdown
02:40 <vidae> aww hes back
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
we all hate you
Bosanac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosanac01 View Post
Trading down is the best option most of the time, but it's really hard to find someone who is willing to trade up unless a player the like falls.

There is no way we can do that trade. If you're trading just picks, only way it would balance out is if we trade #27 and #60 for Broncos #36 and #46, which doesn't really make sense to do.

That maybe true. I didn't check the Value Chart to see the worth of the picks and just went on pure impulse ( haha ). But trading down is still a viable option for us. A lot of draft sites including this one thinks it's a bit of a reach to take Smith at 27.

Also, by the time the 27th pick rolls around we maybe down to the 7th or 8th best DE left on the board considering that the class of DL prospects are strong this year. I'm not too sure that's going to give us immediate help on the pass rush front, so I think it might be wise to sign a vet.

Offensive line might be the best option if we chose to stay at 27. With Clabo, Dahl, and Blalock set to be FA's this year and if Johnson and Hawley ( he can play guard too ) move into starting roles to replace the departed, we are still gonna need depth behind them.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bosanac01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think offensive line is the best option at 27. We have a guys to step in at both guard positions, center, and also right tackle. If we are going to go offensive line, then it would be left tackle. Then we move Baker to the right, but we'd have a rookie on Matt Ryan's blind side, and it would be a gamble on weather he pans out or not.

TD said he's looking for explosiveness, so I'll take his word that we do just that. Doesn't matter if we are on the 7th or 8th best DE, really it's irrelevant where the guy is positionally ranked. I don't think Torrey Smith is a reach at 27 to be honest.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-24-2011, 09:11 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You don't take depth at pick 27. And if you are picking interior lineman in the first, you better hope it's someone extremely good like Alex Mack and Maurkice Pouncey were. No one really fits that profile this year. Now if one of Solder/Smith/Castonzo/Carimi falls, you reconsider.

I'd still kill to trade up for Quinn. Dude is a monster. Same goes for Green. I'd be willing to mortgage a lot for either one of them. Never going to happen though. Our best case is probably that Kerrigan slides a bit, and one of Young/Smith/Hank/Jernigan is waiting for us in round 2.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quinn is an absolute badass. He's going to be the next great pass rusher in the NFL, I have no doubt about it. Only thing is if he can stay healthy.

Looking forward to this combine, probably like the 100th time I've said that already.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Of that group of Solder/Smith/Castonzo/Carimi it's Carimi that I would like to see us draft if he was still there, dude would be a beast at RT. I doubt Reynolds would be able to beat him out for the starter's role if Clabo were to leave. Which wouldn't be a bad thing because we'd still have him as a back up.

I'm just not sold on taking an end with the 27th pick, I still say signing a veteran is the way to go. We were 13-3 last year so we're not that far off of being a serious Super Bowl contender and having a proven end come in and put up consistent production far out weighs the possibility of having to wait a year or two for a rookie end to develop. I can't help it I want to win now.

As for cornerback, our primary need seems to be at the nickel position. I'm sorry, but I can't see us taking a NB at 27. Same for linebacker. There really doesn't seem to be a candidate worthy of that pick.

But with three starters on the offensive line slated to hit free agency there might be a possibility that we may lose all three. If that were to happen the OL jumps up to the fore front of team needs.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 PM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

Quote:
Quinn is an absolute badass. He's going to be the next great pass rusher in the NFL, I have no doubt about it. Only thing is if he can stay healthy.

Looking forward to this combine, probably like the 100th time I've said that already.

You and me both. I've already have my DVR set.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:56 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Seriously. It's like it's just written that he is destined to be a very good player. He'd be so amazing for us, and I love the hell out of my pass rushers. Too bad it has less than zero chance of happening.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:22 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
But with three starters on the offensive line slated to hit free agency there might be a possibility that we may lose all three. If that were to happen the OL jumps up to the fore front of team needs.
There is a possibility for anything to happen, but I doubt the FO will let all 3 of those starters walk. They have to sign at least one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reaper View Post
I'm just not sold on taking an end with the 27th pick, I still say signing a veteran is the way to go. We were 13-3 last year so we're not that far off of being a serious Super Bowl contender and having a proven end come in and put up consistent production far out weighs the possibility of having to wait a year or two for a rookie end to develop. I can't help it I want to win now.
I'm just not sold on taking a tackle with the 27th pick. I think we should look for a proven one in free agency or trade, but then we'd have the same problem as we would with DE, and that's us having to pay a steep price. I don't see why you don't want a DE in such a great class.

I agree that Carimi is legit though.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carimi wouldn't be a bad fit at all, and I won't complain taking an OL early.

Carimi >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allen Bailey for sure IMO...

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 AM    (permalink
Grim Reaper
Rookie

I really don't have a problem with who ever we draft because I know Comrade and his staff at least has done their homework researching these guys. I'm just worried about the OL though.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:44 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

AJC reporting Falcons are interviewing Ricardo Lockette tonight. He's one of the fastest players in this draft class. The team interviewing guys like this makes me further believe my suspicions that they will probably draft a speedy sleeper small school WR in the middle rounds. There are just so many of them.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
AJC reporting Falcons are interviewing Ricardo Lockette tonight. He's one of the fastest players in this draft class. The team interviewing guys like this makes me further believe my suspicions that they will probably draft a speedy sleeper small school WR in the middle rounds.

Meh, I don't think that's the answer for us. We need an instant impact type.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:57 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

IMO there are three options...

1.) Major upgrade: First or second round who we plan on starting in time
2.) Profile: Pick up a guy like Danny Amendola/ Devone Bess late and let him work that slot as a moderate upgrade

Idk either way, we have multiple needs. I don't think the need for a slot WR is huge, but the need for a potential starter soon is.

Next Up: 2012
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Murray is tall with a muscular build. Possesses great burst and the top end speed to break the long one. Strong runner that consistently finishes runs and falls forward. Excellent receiver that can get big chunks of yards after the catch. Very capable blocker in pass protection.

Sounds pretty perfect to me. Big fan of his.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 AM    (permalink
dunagan15
Pro Bowler

dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dunagan15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Murray is tall with a muscular build. Possesses great burst and the top end speed to break the long one. Strong runner that consistently finishes runs and falls forward. Excellent receiver that can get big chunks of yards after the catch. Very capable blocker in pass protection.

Sounds pretty perfect to me. Big fan of his.
He reminds me alot of Marshall Fauk
Old 02-26-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Justin Houston came in at 270. Makes him sound like a better fit at DE and a more likely Falcon pick.. Wonder how he tests out.

And I like DJ Williams a lot. Not quite as much as I did Aaron Hernandez, but the kid is a going to be a good, solid football player.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Justin Houston should test out great. I don't like the fact that he gained weight. His best asset is his speed, and you don't want to sacrifice any bit of that. He's already very strong as it is.

Abraham was like 240 coming out and spent most of his career at about 255 and did just fine.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quizz measuring in under 5'6 makes me want him even more in a strange way.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-27-2011, 02:06 AM    (permalink
Bosanac01
Team Leader
All-Pro

This guys is going to keep writing on Allen Bailey.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons...a_falcons_blog

I'm telling you man, every day. Falcons are probably going to contact about 500+ prospects, but when they talk to his favorite player he's going to make an article on it.

Quote:
we all hate you
Old 02-27-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Hmm, Jernigan didn't run as well as I expected. Maybe we could get him round 2 now.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDirtyBirds View Post
Hmm, Jernigan didn't run as well as I expected. Maybe we could get him round 2 now.
you didnt think he would be there for us in the 2nd?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:17 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
you didnt think he would be there for us in the 2nd?

Nope. A lot of people have him mid 2nd. I thought he might have blown up even more with a big 40 time.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

Torrey Smith topped out at 4.37, Titus at 4.43, and Jernigan at 4.47