Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-21-2011, 09:37 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.

That is true, but I think a OLB pass rusher who can play on all 3 downs is a much more pressing needs. a Smith/Quinn/Kerrigan type talent is what we need and much more pressing at 17.
sportslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
That is true, but I think a OLB pass rusher who can play on all 3 downs is a much more pressing needs. a Smith/Quinn/Kerrigan type talent is what we need and much more pressing at 17.
I've been saying I'm not in favor of drafting a DL in the first.

Kerrigan, Pouncey, or Miller/Houston at #17 would do more to get the Pats back to being one of the best scoring defenses in the NFL while prolonging the success of the offense. OLB, C, and OT with the first three picks would probably be my preference. Wouldn't mind a RB mixed in there, either.

I think QB is a viable option. I don't see the negative impact with Tom Brady so obviously in his prime. The only person that should take offense to it would be Hoyer.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:49 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.

Yeah definitely agree with you there. I like Kerrigan, Aldon Smith and of course Quinn the most with our first pick whether it's at 17 or trade up.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:44 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Scott mocked us A. Smith and C. Heyward. Love it.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

I'd LOVE that too.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:20 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Scott mocked us A. Smith and C. Heyward. Love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...s.html?sid=101

C. Heyward had surgery on his elbow. Going to miss the Senior bowl and might mess with his combine numbers.
More and more likely that he'll be available at #28. Love it.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

My favorite 3-4 DE in this class is JJ Watt. But I'd be fine with us taking a guy like Aldon Smith who will be a stud pass rusher over him and then taking Heyward later on.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:53 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Paea is a 1 gapper, 43 NT. He's 310+ LBs at 6'1". He uses leverage and plays like a NT. While I don't think he'll be a great 34 NT, I think he'll be fine.
You don't draft a player in the first round at NT to be fine. I do agree he uses leverage well, but that doesn't mean he plays like a NT. He would be an UT for a lot of teams who run a 4-3 because of his penetrating abilities. Could he play NT? Sure. He could manage and get by...but you would be much better off if you were another team taking Phil Taylor in the fourth round than Paea in the first and telling him to do something his body and skillset aren't meant to.

Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward is a great haul. Smith is a little concerning, but he's the type of OLB the staff has been looking for. High bust potential there though.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:54 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Aldon Smith and Cam Heyward is a great haul. Smith is a little concerning, but he's the type of OLB the staff has been looking for. High bust potential there though.
I agree with this. I was simply pointing out that the "expert" opinion is that Paea is a 34/43 NT.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:45 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So Brandon Bair has been flashing down at the Shrine Game. He's 6'7 270 pounds. Definite five technique candidate and has the frame to get much bigger and stronger. Someone to keep an eye on in the later rounds for sure. Sneaky productive for Oregon as well the past few years.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-22-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be pretty damn happy with Aldon Smith. I actually keep forgetting about the guy. I don't see much bust potential for him with the Patriots. He plays really well in contain, and is just very athletic and would be a versatile player on that team.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:02 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was thinking about what my "ideal" Patriots mock would look like (or what I'd like to call "Dynasty II"):

1 (17): Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
1 (28): Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
2 (33): Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State
2 (60): Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
3 (74): Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
3 (92): Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
4: Rashad Carmichael, CB/KR, Virginia Tech
5: KJ Wright, OLB, Mississippi
6: Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

This makes my projected 2011 team (finishing starters - because rookies will likely not start right away):

Tom Brady
Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead
Leonard Hankerson, Wes Welker, and Deion Branch
Rob Gronkowski
Sebastian Vollmer, Logan Mankins, Rodney Hudson, Nick Kaczur, Marcus Gilbert

Cameron Heyward, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren
Robert Quinn, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham
Devin McCourty, James Sanders, Pat Chung, Leigh Bodden

I left off Kevin Faulk because of his age and injury concern and Brandon Meriweather because I think he gets traded.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 AM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

aldon smith and heyward would be the sex. however, idk the pats would actually take aldon..... hes pretty raw, not a senior, and im pretty sure hes not a captain (not 100% sure tho).

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:20 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I was thinking about what my "ideal" Patriots mock would look like (or what I'd like to call "Dynasty II"):

1 (17): Robert Quinn, DE/OLB, UNC
1 (28): Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State
2 (33): Rodney Hudson, G/C, Florida State
2 (60): Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami
3 (74): Marcus Gilbert, OT, Florida
3 (92): Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
4: Rashad Carmichael, CB/KR, Virginia Tech
5: KJ Wright, OLB, Mississippi
6: Darren Evans, RB, Virginia Tech

This makes my projected 2011 team (finishing starters - because rookies will likely not start right away):

Tom Brady
Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Danny Woodhead
Leonard Hankerson, Wes Welker, and Deion Branch
Rob Gronkowski
Sebastian Vollmer, Logan Mankins, Rodney Hudson, Nick Kaczur, Marcus Gilbert

Cameron Heyward, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren
Robert Quinn, Jerod Mayo, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham
Devin McCourty, James Sanders, Pat Chung, Leigh Bodden

I left off Kevin Faulk because of his age and injury concern and Brandon Meriweather because I think he gets traded.
Robert Quinn is the best pass rusher and the best 3-4 OLB prospect in the draft. There's no way he falls to #17 come draft day although I'd love for it to happen. I'm still a bit iffy about Rodney Hudson because of his size (or lack of it really). The proliferation of the 3-4, especially in the AFC, means that you need relatively big O-linemen. The Patriots already has one of the smaller O-lines in the NFL and adding a 290-295 lbs center doesn't really help us against those big NTs that's been killing us for the last couple of seasons. Otherwise I really like you mock, I'd be very happy with it.

Quote:
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 AM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

If I had a dream draft, it would be.

#17 -- OLB Robert Quinn - North Carolina
#28 -- DE Cameron Heyward -- Ohio State
#33 -- WR Jonathan Baldwin -- Pittsburgh
#60 -- LB Mark Herzlich -- Boston College
#74 -- OG Marcus Cannon -- TCU
#92 -- OT Joseph Barksdale -- LSU
4 -- CB Rashad Carmichael -- Virginia Tech
5 -- RB Bilal Powell -- Louisville
6 -- OG Bryant Browning -- Ohio State

This would require a few guys to drop but nothing major besides Quinn sliding a bit, but tell me this wouldn't be a great draft, addressing all of our needs and pretty well. Our Front seven would be set for years to come FINALLY! Pick up 3 OL, one of the better Guards, and 2 guys that the Patriots have talked to. Carmichael is a solid CB with very good speed and can return if need be. Powell is a personal favorite of mine who will be a very good RB to add to the mix and I think has very good starting potential this late.

I don't expect it to happen but it could, and would be my dream draft.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:45 AM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

Take it for what it is, but at the Shrine game, these are some guys that have talked to the Pats in interviews:

LB Brian Rolle, Ohio State
CB Justin Rogers, Richmond
WR Terreance Tolliver, LSU
S Nate Williams, Washington
RB Alex Green, Hawaii
OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU
DE Chetu Ozougwu, Rice
OG Caleb Schlauderaff, Utah
DT David Carter, UCLA
S Justin Taplin, Utah
Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm all for packaging Merriweather and #17 to move up for either Quinn or Kerrigan.
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:22 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Take it for what it is, but at the Shrine game, these are some guys that have talked to the Pats in interviews:

RB Alex Green, Hawaii
OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU
DE Chetu Ozougwu, Rice
DT David Carter, UCLA
S Justin Taplin, Utah
Just curious where did you get that from? (the regular writers have already quit reporting lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyjackaubrey View Post
I'm all for packaging Merriweather and #17 to move up for either Quinn or Kerrigan.
Yes please.

I think we have 3-4 safeties (without Meriweather) right now that I am comfortable as starters.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:

RB Alex Green, Hawaii
OT Joseph Barksdale, LSU
DE Chetu Ozougwu, Rice
DT David Carter, UCLA
S Justin Taplin, Utah
Some of those names are surprising. Some not so. David Carter looked pretty good and has the right build to be a five technique. Caleb Schlauderaff is sort of what we look for in offensive linemen. Type of guy we overdraft haha. Tolliver is a guy whom I really like. Failed to launch at LSU, but the quarterback play the past few years sort of puts that in perspective.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-23-2011, 12:33 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

Got them from a draft site who covered shrine game and team interviews with players.

Some are surprising. But real time we want to look for is the Senior Bowl where there is a better talent pool.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tolliver is really the only guy on that last that I would be fine with I guess. Meriweather and 17 would be sweet... just dont know who would actually take such an offer lol

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
luckyjackaubrey
Veteran

Location: South Jersey via Nantucket thru Presque Isle with future considerations
luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.luckyjackaubrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
Tolliver is really the only guy on that last that I would be fine with I guess. Meriweather and 17 would be sweet... just dont know who would actually take such an offer lol
Clearly someone has to give Al Davis a 1st rounder he can send our way, he is our adopted draft bell cow!
luckyjackaubrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:06 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
Justin Rogers from Richmond looks like a perfect fit in our scheme. I don't know about intelligence and work ethic and such, but from what I've read (never seen him play) he is a great fit here. Might not be a starter, but a great nickel/dime.

Quote:
Old 01-24-2011, 08:01 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Updated list of players I've heard the Patriots meeting with. I put an asterisk* next to guys sportslover posted but I hadn't heard about:

RB Alex Green, Hawaii
WR Terrence Tolliver, Louisiana St.*
OT Joseph Barksdale, Louisiana St.
OT Ben Ijalana, Villanova (x2)
OT Danny Watkins, Baylor
DE Christian Ballard, Iowa
DE David Carter, UCLA
LB Cliff Matthews, South Carolina (x2)
LB Cheta Ozougwu, Rice
LB Dain Taylor, Drake
CB Justin Rogers, Richmond*