Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New England Patriots Team Forum

New England Patriots Team Forum Discuss the Pats

Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cliff Matthews is interesting.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:15 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.

Yeah nice post -- heard about Christian Ballard and Ahmad Black having official interviews tomorrow about an hour ago.
sportslover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:29 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leonard Hankerson is about to sky-rocket.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.sportslover is so money.

I was disapointed with his size but I heard he had a GREAT practice.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
I was disapointed with his size but I heard he had a GREAT practice.
Long arms, big hands. A little short, but I won't cry over 6'2".
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

6'2 is about as tall as you can be as a consistently good receiver unless you're some sort of special talent.

It's hard for me to see the Pats going with a WR, though. They're 5 deep and are all getting better as a unit. One of the requisites for drafting a WR would be that the Patriots have a roster spot for one. Do you think Hankerson goes into camp and overtakes Tate, Price, or Edelman? Seems like a near-impossible task - especially considering the special teams factor for two of them.

I think it's Julio Jones, AJ Green, or nothing as far as WR goes in this draft. I don't see them stashing a guy away like they did with Price this past season.

Last edited by nepg : 01-24-2011 at 11:29 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
Do you think Hankerson goes into camp and overtakes Tate, Price, or Edelman?
Edelman, easily. I think Edelman's role may be reduced even if we don't draft a WR. He's clearly just a PR, which could be found at Nickel CB or something as well. (usually...) Can Darius Butler return punts? I thought he did at UConn.

Tate drops deep passes like crazy. If he doesn't show up this year with a few catches longer than swing passes or screens, I would imagine he will be losing ground.

Price... I don't know. The guy was active for 1? game. He wasn't exactly dominating elite competition at Ohio either.

So I wouldn't exactly say that it would be hard to do. That said, Hankerson has no special teams value. I would imagine this would mean him and Price would be battling it out.

The other name that is getting a ton of attention (because of his size and first practice, though his hands are average at best in size) is Courtney Smith (South Alabama U) who is 6'4" 220 with 33.75 inch arms and 9.5 inch hands. He also managed to catch everything thrown his way. He was smooth off the line and seemed to run good routes. Basically he was quick and could get open but has a huge body for that kind of player. If he times well at the combine, he could sky rocket. I have zero idea where his grade is right now because he was only a senior bowl invite because Troy WR Jerrell Jernigan pulled out.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:49 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Cliff Matthews is interesting.
He's also kind of lazy from what I've heard. I've been waiting for him to really break out for a few years. The ability is there, but he just doesn't show up on the field. South Carolina fools gold just like Eric Norwood and Clifton Geathers IMO.

I love the Hankerson love, but I just don't see him as this big time wide receiver. There's very little shame in that and he'll be a very good pro...but he's limited athletically and we're finding out now he doesn't have the best size. Talk about arm length and hand size all you want, but that doesn't seem to be helping Michael Crabtree bully NFL defensive backs like he did at TCU. Measuring in at 6'1 hurts him for sure.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:56 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
Edelman, easily. I think Edelman's role may be reduced even if we don't draft a WR. He's clearly just a PR, which could be found at Nickel CB or something as well. (usually...) Can Darius Butler return punts? I thought he did at UConn.
I disagree. Edelman was way underused this year and that was a mistake. He was dominant in the touches he got later in the season...including the playoff game. If they had to choose, I might take Edelman over Welker at this point.

Point is, when you draft a guy in the first few rounds, you have to have a definite place for him on the roster. The Patriots have a lot invested in the guys they have, and I don't see why they'd be interested in giving up on Tate or Price yet, and Edelman is very under-utilized. O'Brien has to find ways to get Edelman the ball more next season.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:00 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Edelmen won we over in person. He had a real good game on Miami's 1's. Not just because of the punt return either. He has the potential to be a real good receiver.

As far as placement goes, I think Tate could be on the chopping block. Fair or not, he hasn't produced. He's just not a good natural hands catcher and doesn't seem to go for the catch either too early or too late. Good speed and all that, but the NFL is results orientated.

Price has some potential and actually did look good when he finally got in there. We invested a fairly high pick in him too so I imagine we want to hang on to him to see what we have.

But I do think we need a receiver. None of the guys we have match up well on the outside. The Jets clogged the middle of the field against us just like the Ravens did early in the year and it stopped us dead. There's no getting around that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
Edelmen won we over in person. He had a real good game on Miami's 1's. Not just because of the punt return either. He has the potential to be a real good receiver.

As far as placement goes, I think Tate could be on the chopping block. Fair or not, he hasn't produced. He's just not a good natural hands catcher and doesn't seem to go for the catch either too early or too late. Good speed and all that, but the NFL is results orientated.

Price has some potential and actually did look good when he finally got in there. We invested a fairly high pick in him too so I imagine we want to hang on to him to see what we have.

But I do think we need a receiver. None of the guys we have match up well on the outside. The Jets clogged the middle of the field against us just like the Ravens did early in the year and it stopped us dead. There's no getting around that.
Run the ball more. A young, bigger RB could do wonders.

I'm not giving up on Tate. He's no Bethel Johnson or Chad Jackson.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:50 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=ElectricEye]He's also kind of lazy from what I've heard. I've been waiting for him to really break out for a few years. The ability is there, but he just doesn't show up on the field. South Carolina fools gold just like Eric Norwood and Clifton Geathers IMO. [quote]

Every time I watched South Carolina play I came away disappointed with Matthews. He was invisible for most of the time. His teammate Devin Taylor looked great though, he could be a first rounder next year.

I was a bit disappointed that Hankerson is only 6'2" but I still think he's a pretty damned good prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.

Last edited by Razor : 01-25-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by proshoota25 View Post
Tolliver is really the only guy on that last that I would be fine with I guess. Meriweather and 17 would be sweet... just dont know who would actually take such an offer lol
If I had to guess I would say Dallas or Houston.

Dallas would get an impact safety and be able to move back and pick up a player like Brandon Harris etc. This wouldn't apply though if PP or Prince Amukamara are still around at #9.

Houston would take a similar approach but may also target someone like Allen Bailey or JJ Watt at #17 as well.

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:35 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Run the ball more. A young, bigger RB could do wonders.

I'm not giving up on Tate. He's no Bethel Johnson or Chad Jackson.
I'm comfortable with our backs. We should look to upgrade if we can, but I'm fairly good sitting with Lawfirm and Woodhead. Offensive balance wasn't the issue.

He makes catches awfully tough on himself which is something I really don't like. Drops the easy ones on occasion too. We were virtually begging for him to step it up this year and he just never did.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-25-2011, 10:58 AM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

Cam Jordan and Ryan Kerrigan impressing at Senior Bowl. patriots take note!!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Cam Jordan is impressing TOO much I think. He looks like he could be a top five or ten pick right now. Nobody can block him.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-25-2011, 12:09 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I think Cam Jordan has played himself right out of our range, it sucks but holy **** are there some great DL prospects this year. We need to take advantage of that.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 PM    (permalink
proshoota25
Pro Bowler

proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.proshoota25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah im gunna have to change my pats mock now. jordan is a beast

Thanks to BoneKrusher for this amazing sig!

Go Gators/Pats/Celts/Red Sox!
proshoota25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:18 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dont know much Acho... but Sheard would be sexy at the end of 2nd

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Yeah I think Cam Jordan has played himself right out of our range, it sucks but holy **** are there some great DL prospects this year. We need to take advantage of that.
We really better. This is a garden of eden for five techniques.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-25-2011, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordan is probably going to be gone so the choice might be Watt, Heyward or Kerrigan. Kerrigan to me seems unique so i'd probably try for the 3-4 end with the next two picks.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

It would be awfully hard to pass on Kerrigan if he were there. He's not going to run an exceptional 40 time, but his athleticism is even better than advertised. I could see us doing it for a linemen, but it would be hard.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
Old 01-25-2011, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Kerrigan lasts until the Patriots are picking, but he'd be a perfect pick at #17 if you ask me. I almost hope the Patriots wait on a DE and draft Wilkerson at some point, he seems great.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:03 PM    (permalink
sportslover
Rookie

I really hope we get Quinn/Kerigan/Smith at 17 and wait to get a guy like Wilkerson later, but I wouldnt be mad if Cameron Jordan somehow slipped.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Kerrigan would be the perfect pick at 17 unless a guy like Jordan, Fairley, Dareus, Quinn, or Bowers somehow fell. Cam Heyward is getting pushed back with all of these guys rising and I'd bet he will be there at 17 if Kerrigan is gone, but there certainly will be at least one very good 5-tech prospect around at 33 and perhaps an "elite" one at 17.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote