Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oooo, I love it.

Yet, I disagree with so much of it.

You're tempting me to make another truths thread, I haven't done 1 in like 2 years, but I'm too lazy these days to make 1.

I'm curious to see how much of this winds up true.

The fact that I disagree with a lot of it is a good thing, bc I always felt that these threads should be controversial and out of the box, that's what makes a truths thread a truths thread.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:31 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
It's a myth that college coaches don't make it in the NFL. People jumped on that bandwagon because of recent history and big names like Steve Spurrier, Nick Saban, and Bobby Petrino. People forget that Tom Coughlin, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells were all college coaches at one time. There's no curse on college coaches, just media members who don't do their research, and fans who take their word for it.
Coughlin, Walsh and Parcells are all NFL guys who also have college experience. I think thats different from a college guy who comes fresh into the NFL.

Having that said, with the rule changes in the NFL, the game is becoming more and more like college football nowadays anyway, so I don't see why some college guys can't hack it in today's game.

Steve Spurrier came into the league 10 years too early. His run and gun would work nowadays, but had no chance back then.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carroll had a ton of NFL coaching experience before he went to USC. Defensive coordinator of the Jets for 4 years. Head Coach of the Jets after that, than defensive coordinator for the Niners. Head Coach of the Pats.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Carroll
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Bill Walsh coached 2 years at Stanford before getting the 49ers head coaching job. Before that, he was an assistant with San Diego, Cincinnati, and Oakland. He went to Stanford because he was passed over a number of times for an NFL head coaching gig he rightly deserved.

Bill Parcells was the defensive coordinator of the New York Giants and succeeded Ray Perkins as head coach

Both of those are absolutely horrible examples

Also, the game has changed and all of your examples are all 15+ years removed
Walsh and Parcells both held multiple college coaching positions before getting a single NFL job. Parcells spent well over a decade in college and was head coach at the Air Force academy. Please, give me the no-knowledge breakdown on how that's a horrible example. I need a good laugh.

And where's the cutoff as to what applies to modern coaching. Spurrier has been out of the NFL for over 6 years? The game has changed over the last 6 year. But I bet that counts, right? :D

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Coughlin, Walsh and Parcells are all NFL guys
What makes them "NFL guys"? Parcells spent over a decade coaching in college before entering the NFL and his first head coaching job was in college. Are you saying he was an "NFL guy" before he even held an NFL job?

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-NFLDC

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
[*] Barrett Ruud is very unheralded and now that he has McCoy and Price in front of him (Ryan Sims was their best DT last year!) he will get it done. Pay attention to him. By the way, the NFC South probably has the best MLBs of any division: Vilma, Beason, Ruud and Lofton is tough to beat.
I completely agree with this sentiment and they definitely have the best group of 4-3 MLBs but 3-4 MLBs, the AFC East takes the cake. Jerod Mayo, Karlos Dansby, Paul Posluszny, David Harris, and Bart Scott are all Pro Bowl caliber players and Andra Davis and Channing Crowder as solid options with guys like A.J. Edds and Brandon Spikes as rookies that should make big impacts as well.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:51 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Guys Wiki it'll tell you all about Coughlin, Walsh and Parcells, Carroll coaching jobs.

Pete only spent 4 years in college and then spent 8/9 years coaching NFL level before becoming a HC.

Its all about a person to person basis, and how they are brought up through the rankings.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:02 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Walsh and Parcells both held multiple college coaching positions before getting a single NFL job. Parcells spent well over a decade in college and was head coach at the Air Force academy. Please, give me the no-knowledge breakdown on how that's a horrible example. I need a good laugh.

And where's the cutoff as to what applies to modern coaching. Spurrier has been out of the NFL for over 6 years? The game has changed over the last 6 year. But I bet that counts, right? :D
You're trying to twist the argument into something it isn't because your original argument was without merit. Nice try.

The last success story you can point to is Tom Coughlin which was for the expansion Jaguars. That's where the 15+ years comes in and Coughlin had substantial NFL experience before that.

All of these miserable failures are extremely recent, which is why people believe a college coach cannot make the jump to the NFL successfully anymore and that the game has changed too much largely due to the fact that in college, these coaches have all of the power and then in the NFL, they are dealing with people who make more money than they do.

Bill Walsh was in the NFL from 1966 to 1976 before taking the Stanford head coaching job from 1977 to 1978 before taking over the San Francisco 49ers. He was an incredibly highly thought of coach in the NFL and was supposed to get the head coaching job for the Cincinnati Bengals when Paul Brown stepped down, but he opted for the offensive line coach instead. Bill Walsh then went to work for Sid Gilman as his offensive coordinator for the Chargers before taking the Stanford job for all of 2 years before becoming the 49ers head coach. Walsh had more experience in the NFL than he did in college, so are you seriously going to sit there and tell me the 49ers were taking a chance on a college head coach when they made that hire and not a guy with substantial NFL experience and success with 3 different organizations who had already had serious consideration for an NFL head coaching job? Seriously?

As for Bill Parcells, he spent a substantial amount of time in college, but your argument was (until you tried to change it unsuccessfully) that he was a successful jump from college to the NFL as if he was hired from a college head coaching position to the New York Giants when in fact he was an assistant head coach for the New York Giants already and was picked to be the successor by Ray Perkins.

This argument comes down to guys like Jimmy Johnson, Butch Davis, Steve Spurrier, so on and so forth who were coaches defined by their college success being hired to take over an NFL job and succeeding or failing on that premise.

Based on the argument you're trying to change this to, Mike Holmgren was a successful college coach who made it in the NFL, because he coached at places like San Francisco State and BYU before being hired to the San Francisco 49ers and then the Green Bay Packers.

Joe Gibbs had 3 coaching jobs in college at San Diego State, Florida State, and USC, so I guess he conveniently fits into the definition you've changed your argument into as well.

I hope you get a good laugh at your own massive amount of fail
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGfortheTD View Post
I'm going to counter this, because this is becoming the new "Texans gonna go somewhere" line. For every step forward they make (a quality draft), they take a big step back (Jamarcus Russel continues to collect money).
I disagree with both the Raiders and the Texans.

Every year we see teams end their seasons on high notes with a couple of meaningless wins, go into the next season hyped up, and end up falling flat on their faces.

Also, Tom Coughlin was a coach on Bill Parcells' Superbowl teams with the Giants. So he definitely had some NFL experience before jumping from being BC's coach to coach of the Jags.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 05-04-2010 at 01:35 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

position coach at 'Cuse and Boston, then GB and Philly and then Giants.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I disagree with both the Raiders and the Texans.
I picked Arizona to be the sexy sleeper team for two years, then I gave up hope and they made it to an almost Super Bowl championship. Houston is going to do the same thing to me. I will not give up this time. They were seriously Ben Tate + Neil Rackers away from 13-3 last year. Kris Brown should be banned from the state of Texas permanently.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
contento
Rookie

contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.contento could make a wolverine purr.

"Look at the stats and you will find that Philip Rivers has been the best QB in the NFL the past two years."

In the regular season, yes, in the playoffs...not so much.
contento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not really a fan of Matthews, but his situation is definitely in his favor. I question San Diego's run blocking and commitment to the run. I really thought he was over-drafted based on his NFL-translatable talent.
I think he's a Ryan Grant clone or his twin brother. They are shockingly identical when you look at measurables and they play almost alike as well. If you would draft a rookie Ryan Grant at 12th overall, then there's Matthews. I wouldn't. I don't think many other people would either. Ryan Grant's pretty good and productive - we got him for a 6th which was a steal - but if we drafted him 12th I would be pissed.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
-The Lions offensive line is mediocre, so Jahvid Best may have a hard time finding space, especially with that division schedule.

-Pete Carroll's problem is that he's a ra ra coach, which is great for college, but is a disaster in the NFL. If he brings the same approach, he's going to fail miserably again. NFL players will not take that stuff seriously. Ask Lou Holtz.

-DROY is Rolando McClain's to lose if you ask me... he's the middle linebacker in a good situation on defense and he's going to start immediately.
Does anybody else see an uncanny comparison between Herm Edwards and Pete Carroll as coaches?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Does anybody else see an uncanny comparison between Herm Edwards and Pete Carroll as coaches?
If I was an athletic director with a big budget for my coach, Herm Edwards would be my first phone call. He'd be a phenominal college coach, be fantastic in a recruit's home with the parents and getting kids pumped up... would be absolutely tremendous as a college coach if he'd just do it.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 AM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I am not really a fan of Matthews, but his situation is definitely in his favor. I question San Diego's run blocking and commitment to the run. I really thought he was over-drafted based on his NFL-translatable talent.
With Norv as HC, there will always be a commitment to the run. For example, even with a declining LT, we still tried to run the ball 45% of the time last year. I think having a young and promising RB (who played in a similar power run system at Fresno) will greatly improve the team's running game.
Xenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:01 AM    (permalink
zachsaints52
Asian Batista
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I picked Stephen Jackson in last years FF with friends #2 overall, and I would do it again. Why you ask?

Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenos View Post
With Norv as HC, there will always be a commitment to the run. For example, even with a declining LT, we still tried to run the ball 45% of the time last year. I think having a young and promising RB (who played in a similar power run system at Fresno) will greatly improve the team's running game.
Exactly. Norv is still the same guy who rode Emmitt Smith to multiple Superbowls and ran Ricky Williams into retirement, He hasn't stuck with the run because the Chargers had no legitimate running threat. Hell, LT still got 315 carries and had 15 TDs in Norv's first year there. Once LT fell off the cliff, Turner was pretty much forced to live and die by Rivers' arm.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Bengalsrocket
Pro Bowler

Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengalsrocket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by contento View Post
"Look at the stats and you will find that Philip Rivers has been the best QB in the NFL the past two years."

In the regular season, yes, in the playoffs...not so much.
I agree. Rivers is getting a ton of credit now for that team, but I think he should get all the blame for the play off loses as well.

Also, If I look at the stats, I'll find that Phillip Rivers has the best stats, sure. But I still think Brees has been more impressive over the last 2 years.
Bengalsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xenos is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket View Post
I agree. Rivers is getting a ton of credit now for that team, but I think he should get all the blame for the play off loses as well.

Also, If I look at the stats, I'll find that Phillip Rivers has the best stats, sure. But I still think Brees has been more impressive over the last 2 years.
I don't necessarily think he deserves all the blame. He has had boneheaded plays, but there are also others where it was just plain flukey. The Revis interception, for example, was a great example where Vincent Jackson should have caught the ball for an easy first down, but instead let it bounce off of him then his feet and into Revis's arm.

Also, the thing that makes Rivers' stats unique compared to someone like Brees is that he has put up those numbers despite not having anyway near as many pass attempts as Brees or other top QBs, like Peyton and Brady, has the past two years. I believe Rivers is like in the bottom ten or something like that in terms of passing attempts. It just goes to show that even with a declining LT, we were still going to try to run the ball.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:27 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The perception that Norv doesn't run the ball is so weird...it has no basis in his history. Emmitt Smith, Stephen Davis, Ricky Williams, Frank Gore, all had awesome seasons under Norv in different situations. Ladainian led the league in rushing in 2007 under him.

And as for Rivers...yeah you're not going to find much on that subject I haven't already slobknobbed. If our running game gets going the world will end.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:36 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
[*] Giving Julius Peppers his big money deal was probably a bad idea, trading everything away for Jay Cutler and teaming him with Mike Martz wasn't a great idea either.
The Cutler trade wouldn't have affected the draft as much, had Gaines Adams not died, or if we didn't trade for him in the first place. We could've gotten some real good players with that 2nd rounder.
They paid out the ass for Peppers, which probably won't end well.
The by-product of not firing Angelo and Smith is that every offensive coach knew the ship was sinking and no one wanted any part of it. Now with Martz in town, I expect Cutler to get clobbered many times. I think Martz can coach him well, I just don't expect any of it to show on the field.
MidwayMonster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Kramer
Veteran

Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Kramer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
I picked Stephen Jackson in last years FF with friends #2 overall, and I would do it again. Why you ask?

Whats up with your Mike Karney fascination? :o Iíve never seen someone so in love with such a average FB.

I like what you said about the Eagles and Kolb, however I donít think we fleeced the Redskins. The fact that Matt Cassel got nearly that same value proves that we didnít rip them off even though Cassel is much younger.

And a darkhorse ROY in my opinion on offense could be Dez Bryant.
Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A note: for those who point to Norv Turner's career track record as proof of his "commitment" I do not deny that he has had run-based offenses in the past. I question his commitment now, they don't run block very well and Philip Rivers is a more talented gunslinger than anyone Norv Turner has ever had. I think the Chargers will probably finish the year at a 60/40 ratio.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Xenos
Veteran

Quote:
A note: for those who point to Norv Turner's career track record as proof of his "commitment" I do not deny that he has had run-based offenses in the past. I question his commitment now, they don't run block very well and Philip Rivers is a more talented gunslinger than anyone Norv Turner has ever had. I think the Chargers will probably finish the year at a 60/40 ratio.
I doubt that they finish the season 60/40 unless Matthews misses the entire season. Like I said before, they were roughly 55/45 with a declining LT last year. What happened last year was a result of many things. One of them was LT's inability to hit holes that existed or make cuts to take advantage of overpursuit. What happened in the past in LT's prime was that he would try to run up the middle, and if that was clogged up, he would usually cut back outside and run free. This was due to his great vision and his physical abilities. Unfortunately, the latter was gone last season and he could no longer cut back like he did before.

Additionally, besides LT, the other main reason for the run blocking problems were the injuries to the offensive line. Our starting oline played together for like 3 quarters last year. After that we had to replace our center, our right guard, and our right tackle. We never got any sense of cohesion and thus played out of sync for a great deal of the season. Hopefully, we won't be hit as hard this season with injuries.

And like I mentioned before, Norv needs a successful running attack in order to set up his aerial attacks. The ideal scenario would be like the years in Dallas with Aikman and Emmit, Gus Frerotte and Terry Allen, and Brad Johnson and Stephen Davis. I believe they were all pro bowlers with Norv (at least the QBs were anyways). Without that successful run game, Norv can't set up his play action that he loves so much.