Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 05-11-2010, 04:49 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jahvid Best

Anything and everything related to Jahvid Best, please post it here! I think you guys got one heck of a guy on and off the field, someone you're going to be very happy with. Based on the comments from Jim Schwartz after the draft, how you guys moved up in the draft for fear of losing him, etc. I think Detroit did an excellent job scouting him. Schwartz alluded to all the attention given to Spiller and while I don't think he wanted to say it, I think he feels he got what can easily end up being the #1 RB in the draft.

Personally, I think that when it's all said and done, Jahvid Best will be considered the best running back from the 2009 and 2010 draft classes.
mellojello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:32 AM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mellojello is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl6M1jSZcto
Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

Default Jahvid Bestís Size Concerns Put to Rest

http://www.lionsgab.com/2010/05/13/j...s-put-to-rest/
Old 05-19-2010, 07:50 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think he's a great pick also and a perfect fit, what makes me worry some is the fact that Kevin Smith isn't around right now to take some of the load off of him, I feel like he shouldn't be getting 20 carries + a few receptions so soon. I think if you ease him in with 12 carries, 5 receptions he's explosive enough to make it work.

He never really carried the load at Cal, so if I'm Detroit I want to make sure I keep a bigger back around the way the Titans did initially with CJ and Lendale.

Great pick though, great fit, I think he'll be one of the better backs in the league though, it's hard to deny his talent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Calvin & Kevin
Rookie

Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Calvin & Kevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't forget Maurice Morris is still around too, I feel comfortable with him carrying the ball some

That highlight reel excited me a lot from seeing him run deep pass routes. There hasn't been a back in the league to do that consistently since Faulk. I don't think Chris Johnson even runs that many deep routes.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin & Kevin View Post
Don't forget Maurice Morris is still around too, I feel comfortable with him carrying the ball some

That highlight reel excited me a lot from seeing him run deep pass routes. There hasn't been a back in the league to do that consistently since Faulk. I don't think Chris Johnson even runs that many deep routes.
Maurice Morris is a solid back.

What about some plays that have Best in the backfield and Aaron Brown out in the slot?

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

Default Follett on Jahvid Best

Follett is definitely not hesitant when it comes to offering his scouting report on Jahvid Best, the Lions rookie running back whom he played with at California.

"He's the fastest guy I've ever seen on a football field, in my opinion," Follett said. "DeSean Jackson, Marshawn (Lynch) was out there at Cal, but he has another gear and his cuts, he doesn't lose any speed. I can't wait.

"I already had it played it out in my head of him busting a 70-yard run and everyone going crazy in Ford Field. I'll be sitting on the bench just like, 'I told you so. I told you so.'"

http://www.foxsportsdetroit.com/05/2...27&feedID=3701
Old 06-09-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

definitely adds another dimension to our already dangerous offense. he'll help stafford out and as long as stafford takes the next step i fully believe we'll have a top 10 offense
Old 06-09-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit4life View Post
definitely adds another dimension to our already dangerous offense. he'll help stafford out and as long as stafford takes the next step i fully believe we'll have a top 10 offense
Top 10 in the NFC North, sure. The Lions definitely have pieces in place, but they aren't there yet and it has everything to do with the offensive line that is still a huge question.

I expect Best to have some nice highlight plays this year as a runner and in the screen game, but I just don't see that line giving him enough holes and protecting Stafford well enough in that division to make the leap yet.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Top 10 in the NFC North, sure. The Lions definitely have pieces in place, but they aren't there yet and it has everything to do with the offensive line that is still a huge question.

I expect Best to have some nice highlight plays this year as a runner and in the screen game, but I just don't see that line giving him enough holes and protecting Stafford well enough in that division to make the leap yet.
We had nothing at OG last year. This year we get Rob Sims at LG and Peterman (underrated) at RG. That is a huge upgrade. Dom is fine at C and Backus needs to keep up his solid play at LT. Goz, Jansen, and Fox will battle at RT and its a question mark.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
We had nothing at OG last year. This year we get Rob Sims at LG and Peterman (underrated) at RG. That is a huge upgrade. Dom is fine at C and Backus needs to keep up his solid play at LT. Goz, Jansen, and Fox will battle at RT and its a question mark.
Where do you figure Backus ranks among left tackles in the league?

You guys know Backus better than I do, but I think you'd agree you could use an upgrade there and as you said, right tackle is a question mark

Like I said, there are some nice pieces in Detroit, but I think you're another year away from taking a leap forward.

I like Mayhew and what he's doing there, but I think he's done the Lions a disservice by not making a more concerted effort to improve the offensive line.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Depends on how you look at it. If you are looking at pure talent alone I would rank him 24-32 area. If you factor in his durability and the actual product he puts on the field I think he can be a top 15 LT.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 06-11-2010, 10:18 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well it depends on how you evaluate him.

Based on his entire career: 25-30 range

Based on just last year: 7-12 range

Based on how good I think he'll be moving forward: 10-20 range

We could definitely upgrade Backus, but his performance last season pushed left tackle down our list of needs. Upgrading right tackle, defensive end, linebacker, and corner back are more important at the moment.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:39 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

scale 1-53, how much of a dissapointment was Cherilus for us?

I say 30, I hated the pick when made so it's about as bad as I'd expect.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:07 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

makes me more mad that we could have had so many other o lineman
Old 06-28-2010, 10:20 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...#ixzz0rp5iDZiC

Enjoy!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:28 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
scale 1-53, how much of a dissapointment was Cherilus for us?

I say 30, I hated the pick when made so it's about as bad as I'd expect.
I don't mean to bump up a semi-old thread like this, but I hated the Gosder pick too.. I didn't want Gosder at all. It sucks, you follow the draft all year.. and you have a few guys that you'd want your team to pick.. and you come away with GOSDER. Dizon in Round 2 was probably worse though. Hated both of those picks so very much.

Everyone had us taking Rashard Mendenhall or Jeff Otah. Some people had Jonathan Stewart falling to us. Calais Campbell was my main squeeze that year, I was hoping we'd at least take him in Round 2. I also wanted Curtis Lofton.

Instead.. we took GOSDER and DIZON. Blah. So very depressing.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What IF!!!

2008 Draft
1. Rashard Mendenhall
2. DeSean Jackson
3. JerMichael Finley

2009 Draft
1. Stafford
1. Oher

Offense could look like this:

------------------------------------R. Mendenhall-------------J. Best

----------------------------------------------------M. Stafford

C. Johnson------J. Finley-M. Oher-S. Peterman-D. Raiola-R. Sims-J. Backus------D. Jackson
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:12 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I don't mean to bump up a semi-old thread like this, but I hated the Gosder pick too.. I didn't want Gosder at all. It sucks, you follow the draft all year.. and you have a few guys that you'd want your team to pick.. and you come away with GOSDER. Dizon in Round 2 was probably worse though. Hated both of those picks so very much.

Everyone had us taking Rashard Mendenhall or Jeff Otah. Some people had Jonathan Stewart falling to us. Calais Campbell was my main squeeze that year, I was hoping we'd at least take him in Round 2. I also wanted Curtis Lofton.

Instead.. we took GOSDER and DIZON. Blah. So very depressing.
I didn't hate Goz as a prospect if we got him in round 2 I would have been very happy with it but I do know I REALLY wanted Brandon Albert when he fell to us BEFORE the stupid trade down.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM    (permalink
nmb1114
Rookie

nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nmb1114 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-L View Post
What IF!!!

2008 Draft
1. Rashard Mendenhall
2. DeSean Jackson
3. JerMichael Finley

2009 Draft
1. Stafford
1. Oher

Offense could look like this:

------------------------------------R. Mendenhall-------------J. Best

----------------------------------------------------M. Stafford

C. Johnson------J. Finley-M. Oher-S. Peterman-D. Raiola-R. Sims-J. Backus------D. Jackson
I think if we drafted Mendenhall we wouldn't of taken best imo
nmb1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-year-contract

He's in! Can't wait to see this guy play. Detroit fans, you guys are in for a real treat!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:46 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

How would Detroit fans rate Jahvid's first game?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:35 PM    (permalink
LOltheLions?
Rookie

LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
How would Detroit fans rate Jahvid's first game?
well its tough to grade him because our QB went out with an injury and we could not run the ball after he went out. The Bears put 8 in the box every time because they weren't afraid of our pass attack. With that being said he did score 2 touchdowns but only 20 yards. No grade yet, the touchdowns looked nice but there was no holes to run in. Chris Johnson wouldnt have gotten more than 30 yards.
LOltheLions? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
mellojello
Veteran

How would Detroit fans rate Jahvid's second game? I really hope Stafford gets back sooner than later.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
LOltheLions?
Rookie

LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.LOltheLions? could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellojello View Post
How would Detroit fans rate Jahvid's second game? I really hope Stafford gets back sooner than later.
solid A

hes a monster..too bad the team around him is garbage.
LOltheLions? is offline   Reply With Quote