Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default The Interesting Article Thread

Okay, so I was reading a couple of interesting articles last night, and wanted to get people's opinions on them. Problem is, they're not really "news" and don't really deserve to have their own thread, and any discussion about these topics will die after about 2 posts in the respective team threads (if they're even seen at all). So I figured we could make a thread for those random, interesting articles that don't really fit anywhere else on the board. This way, they'll actually get seen and (hopefully) discussed. It is the dead part of football, after all.

Feel free to post interesting articles and editorials that you've read. Like I said, hopefully we can get some decent discussion going during this awful dead period.

So, the first one:
Pay Johnson What He's Worth

I completely agree with everything John Clayton says in this article. There isn't a single position that gets screwed harder contractually than the late first round runningback.

Other than top-10 picks, rookies have very, very affordable deals. Runningbacks drafted in the top 10 make huge bucks, and backs drafted after the first round usually get a nice, hefty contract because it's generally understood that they've vastly outperformed their contracts. However, a back like Johnson carries the "first round contract" stigma, so the perception is that he's making huge bucks. Truth be told, he's making closer to the guys in the second round than the guys at the top of the draft.

Considering the demanding nature of the position, as well as the incredibly short prime, I have no problem with a runningback wanting to get paid. Like Clayton says, what usually happens is that guys get pounded into oblivion and get sent off into the sunset. Best case scenario is that their team pays them outrageous money for past performance. The problem with this, though, is that the team knows it has a ton of money tied up into a declining asset, so they negotiate the contract in a way that allows them to get out of it after a year or two.

With the lockout looming, it's not surprising to see so many guys holding out for better contracts. With so many guys becoming RFAs instead of UFAs, we're seeing a lot of good, young guys in their primes missing out on millions of dollars. Furthermore, they may even have a year cut out of their primes due to the owners locking the players out next year. I can totally understand and empathize with them.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 02:30 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Titans betta' pay de'man if aye know what's good for'um.

*spits and cracks knuckles*

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:04 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One thing I've always thought might help situations like CJ's would be to shorten rookie deal lengths. Iirc, right now, picks 1-16 can have a max contract of 6 years, 17-32 a max of 5 and every pick after that a max of 4.

I say make the top 10 picks have a max of 5, with all others a max of 4.

I think that normally, most players have identified themselves as being worthy of an extension or a bust by year 4. If this were the case, CJ would have a lot more leverage with only 2 years remaining on his deal rather than the 3 he's currently stuck with......he hasn't even played out half his contract yet. And it's pretty clear that it's not paying him what he's worth......

Just another thing to add to the giant pile of issues the NFL needs to address. Getting rookie salaries under control should still be a priority in the new CBA though. Did you know there's a good chance Eric Berry will become the league's highest paid safety without ever taking a single snap? Ludicrous. Absolutely ******* asinine and ludicrous.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ls-first-team/

Brohm running with the first team. #1 pick is locked up.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:11 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Buffalo could have a decent defense. Poz and Kawika inside, Maybin and Schoebel outside, Troup at NT. They have a good secondary.

If they run the ball like hell, which they claim they will, maybe this team will muster up 4 wins or so.

I still think St. Louis is worse than them on paper.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 AM    (permalink
tenorx
Rookie

tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.tenorx could make a wolverine purr.

I actually hope for a young Buffalo D. I guess Schobel will retire, or atleast i would if i i was him (no need for another Kampman), and maybe later Coleman can take the other spot next to Maybin (who is still a big question to me). In the inside Poz + Moats.
"Not only is Polamalu the best player in the AFC North, but I feel he's the best defensive player in the entire NFL. No defender in the league combines world-class athleticism, smarts, fundamentals, natural football instincts and the knack for big plays better than Polamalu."
tenorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 AM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5259694

hahahaha
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 09:52 AM    (permalink
lowlife
Veteran

lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.lowlife is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just cut bait and let the Brits have their team back.
Don't know how they turned $2.2bil down.

Digging themselves deeper and deeper.
If they don't re-sign some of our young core players, they'll have proved their ineptitude and frugality as owners and will have me venturing into the darkside.

If they let more than one or two of Tanard Jackson, Donald Penn, Barrett Ruud, Davin Joseph, Carnell Williams, Stylez G. White, or even Trueblood go, I'm gonna burn this city down.
lowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:36 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I think Buffalo could have a decent defense. Poz and Kawika inside, Maybin and Schoebel outside, Troup at NT. They have a good secondary.

If they run the ball like hell, which they claim they will, maybe this team will muster up 4 wins or so.

I still think St. Louis is worse than them on paper.
Agree with it all. In my 2011 mock, I had them picking 3rd behind St. Louis and Tampa Bay....still got their QB in Locker at least.

When Spiller was drafted, I figured their run game might give them an extra win or two in 2010, but not getting a QB, LT or any other real worthwhile key position will hurt down the line...
Old 06-07-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
Bucs_Rule
Veteran

Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs_Rule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Owner's should be careful what they wish for. Despite the top picks getting ridiculously huge salaries, the rest of drafted players are great value and later round picks are forced to play for very little for a number of years. In order to correct the top part of the draft Owners will have to give something up. If all rookies get a year less on their rookie contracts it will cost the owners much more than they save.

As for Chris Johnson. If I'm the Titans I wouldn't want to set the precedent of renegotiating deals when the majority of the current contract hasn't been played yet. It would just lead to players much more frequently complaining on their contracts and causing distractions. After this upcoming season I expect them to do a deal.

Last edited by Bucs_Rule : 06-07-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Bucs_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:33 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post
Owner's should be careful what they wish for. Despite the top picks getting ridiculously huge salaries, the rest of drafted players are great value and later round picks are forced to play for very little for a number of years. In order to correct the top part of the draft Owners will have to give something up. If all rookies get a year less on their rookie contracts it will cost the owners much more than they save.

As for Chris Johnson. If I'm the Titans I wouldn't want to set the precedent of renegotiating deals when the majority of the current contract hasn't been played yet. It would just lead to players much more frequently complaining on their contracts and causing distractions. After this upcoming season I expect them to do a deal.
At the same time, though, I think the owners eventually have to acknowledge the time-sensitivity of the runningback position. They take such a pounding and have such a dropoff in production that they really only have one big contract in them.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs_Rule View Post

And what if he Culpepper's his knee? Torn everything...probably a year and multiple surgeries before he can even think about playing football again.

I can absolutely see why CJ would want a new deal now...and in this instance, I think it would be perfectly fine for the Titans to give him one.

As for the handling of contracts as a whole, I think shortening the length of rookie deals along with a salary structure to keep rookie contracts reasonable would work out for both parties in the end.

The owners would save money by paying significantly less to unproven players who could bust, while the players selected later in the first round would benefit since, if they perform well, will hit their big paydays sooner.

Imagine if the Raiders didn't have to pay Russell so much....if there was a salary structure in place that paid him say, the average annual salary of QBs with a reasonable, middle of the pack signing bonus. They would have saved literally tens of millions of dollars...now think about the tens of millions of dollars that would be saved by every team that normally would have to pay that to a bust, you end up with quite a lot of money.

Now reverse it and say a player drafted later on, who under the current system has an absolute bargain contract like CJ, wildly outperforms it and wants more money. The money saved by not paying busts top dollar for next to nothing can be put back into the player's pockets by giving the guy who did well a mega contract that he actually deserved.

Over the course of about a decade...as struggling teams improve and good teams fade, each team will eventually save some money by not paying busts a lot of money and can then reinvest it into their own players who actually have performed well.

I'm having some trouble explaining it how I see it...I hope I made that clear enough.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Agree with it all. In my 2011 mock, I had them picking 3rd behind St. Louis and Tampa Bay....still got their QB in Locker at least.

When Spiller was drafted, I figured their run game might give them an extra win or two in 2010, but not getting a QB, LT or any other real worthwhile key position will hurt down the line...
Yeah, they might screw themselves out of Locker or Mallet.

If I were them, I'd run a boatload of wildcat with Jackson and Spiller. Its not like they have any other kind of offense that can scare anyone.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hahahahahaha...haha...ahhh..ha....ha.

----

Aaron Rodgers calls Tony Kornheiser "stupid," "dumb" and "terrible"

Posted by Michael David Smith on June 8, 2010 10:52 AM ET
In 2008, when Tony Kornheiser was a Monday Night Football commentator for ESPN, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers once sat down with him for a pre-game production meeting.

It would be an extreme understatement to say that Rodgers came away unimpressed.

In an interview with ESPN Radio in Milwaukee, Rodgers went off on Kornheiser and said he was embarrassingly unprepared for his job.

"You know who was better than Tony Kornheiser? Dennis Miller was ten times better," Rodgers said, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Dennis Miller was a great comedian, but one of the worst Monday Night Football guys ever. And he was ten times better than Tony Kornheiser. His stuff was actually funny. Tony wasn't funny at all. He did absolutely no research. We'd sit in those production meetings and he would add absolutely nothing to the conversation. I'd be like, 'What are we doing here? This is stupid.'"

Rodgers praised Monday Night Football play-by-play man Mike Tirico as coming into production meetings thoroughly prepared. Kornheiser? Not so much.

"You get in there with Tony and he's asking you all these dumb questions that have no application to the game you are playing or anything you are doing," Rodgers said. "He's terrible. . . . I don't think he's funny. I don't think he's insightful. I don't think knows, really, anything about sports."

Most football fans regard Ron Jaworski as one of the top analysts in the business, but Rodgers isn't particularly thrilled with Jaworski, either.

"I like him, but, when I was coming out, he did the worst segment in the history of TV about me talking about my fundamentals," Rodgers said of Jaworski. "It was not even close to anywhere near my fundamentals. The first time I met him, someone introduced me to him and I said, 'Yeah I know him. He's the guy who ripped me before the draft.' The rest of the night he told me how great I was. I was like, 'I know your song and dance.' And now he loves me."

The whole interview, in which Rodgers criticized other ESPN employees and took a shot at the Detroit Lions, is well worth listening to. Rodgers comes across as an entertaining and engaging player who's not afraid to speak his mind. When he retires, he'd be perfect for the Monday Night Football booth. Or as co-host of Pardon the Interruption.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-terrible/

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Sounds like fame and recognition are getting to Aaron Rodgers head. Careful Rodgers, you may be a beast in the making, but you do have your flaws too. Youre not the second coming just yet.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:34 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Sounds like fame and recognition are getting to Aaron Rodgers head. Careful Rodgers, you may be a beast in the making, but you do have your flaws too. Youre not the second coming just yet.
I actually appreciate it when athletes speak their mind, and don't feed us politically-correct, mindless, cliched drivel. He's right about Kornheiser, too.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calling out dopey Jaws and Kornheiser probably wasn't needed, but you know a lot of NFL'ers are thinking it too. I would have avoided the Detroit comments, but the rest is excellent stuff.

On Jaws:
Quote:
He's the guy who ripped me before the draft.' The rest of the night he told me how great I was. I was like, 'I know your song and dance.' And now he loves me."
This is the best part. Why buddy up to a guy who knocked your skill set prior to Rodgers becoming what he has. It's the homer in me(can't help it), but I love what he said.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:38 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I actually appreciate it when athletes speak their mind, and don't feed us politically-correct, mindless, cliched drivel. He's right about Kornheiser, too.
Oh i agree. But he does come off as a little bitter. Like his main problem with Jaws is that he ripped him coming out, but truth be told, Jaws was right. He was just doing his job.

And if he was wrong, Rodgers wouldn't change his delivery, but he did. So I don't see why he took what Jaws said so personally.

Kornheiser is a clown. I do enjoy him on PTI though. He just shouldve never been in that booth.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Oh i agree. But he does come off as a little bitter. Like his main problem with Jaws is that he ripped him coming out, but truth be told, Jaws was right. He was just doing his job.

And if he was wrong, Rodgers wouldn't change his delivery, but he did. So I don't see why he took what Jaws said so personally.

Kornheiser is a clown. I do enjoy him on PTI though. He just shouldve never been in that booth.
It's going to be interesting to see how sports media reacts to this. I've always maintained that they're just paparazzi for a male-dominated audience. If an athlete is good to them, they'll all write/talk about said athlete glowingly. Once that athlete "wrongs" the media, the athlete finds out just how powerful the national media can be, and how they can completely alter the public's perception of you.

Could be interesting.

And I got tired of Kornheiser about five years ago. The only sport he should even be allowed to discuss is baseball.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
It's going to be interesting to see how sports media reacts to this. I've always maintained that they're just paparazzi for a male-dominated audience. If an athlete is good to them, they'll all write/talk about said athlete glowingly. Once that athlete "wrongs" the media, the athlete finds out just how powerful the national media can be, and how they can completely alter the public's perception of you.

Could be interesting.

And I got tired of Kornheiser about five years ago. The only sport he should even be allowed to discuss is baseball.
Shaq and Kobe. Perfect example.

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:49 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Shaq and Kobe. Perfect example.

Or Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire.
Ha, Shaq and Kobe was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that. Shaq was/is every bit the dick that Kobe was/is (except Shaq's almost 10 years older), but he was always very media-friendly.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Ha, Shaq and Kobe was exactly who I was thinking of when I wrote that. Shaq was/is every bit the dick that Kobe was/is (except Shaq's almost 10 years older), but he was always very media-friendly.
During their beef when he got shipped to Miami, Shaq manipulated the media so bad during that time it wasn't even funny.

Shaq left every team on bad terms. People forget about that.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

this totally deserves its own thread... but w/e... i'll resist my urge

"Golden Tate is a fatty...
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5265276
RENTON, Wash. -- Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate apologized Tuesday and said he was "very embarrassed" after police in suburban Seattle gave him a warning for trespassing into a gourmet doughnut shop at 3 a.m. last weekend.

The former Notre Dame star says it was a foolish mistake but that he is glad to have learned a valuable lesson without getting arrested.

Tate says a friend took a couple of maple bars from the shop, which is at the bottom of the building in which Tate lives.

He says "they are irresistible."

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll says he has talked to Tate, and agrees that maple bars can be irresistible.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:29 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

people just posting stuff thats posted in here. great thread idea but people suck :/

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 12:18 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
One thing I've always thought might help situations like CJ's would be to shorten rookie deal lengths. Iirc, right now, picks 1-16 can have a max contract of 6 years, 17-32 a max of 5 and every pick after that a max of 4.

I say make the top 10 picks have a max of 5, with all others a max of 4.

I think that normally, most players have identified themselves as being worthy of an extension or a bust by year 4. If this were the case, CJ would have a lot more leverage with only 2 years remaining on his deal rather than the 3 he's currently stuck with......he hasn't even played out half his contract yet. And it's pretty clear that it's not paying him what he's worth......

Just another thing to add to the giant pile of issues the NFL needs to address. Getting rookie salaries under control should still be a priority in the new CBA though. Did you know there's a good chance Eric Berry will become the league's highest paid safety without ever taking a single snap? Ludicrous. Absolutely ******* asinine and ludicrous.
I agree with you 100% and I think its more than "a good chance" that Eric Berry is the highest paid Safety ever. His signing bonus alone, for being a top 5 pick, will put him in a different stratosphere.

As far as rookies getting paid what they are worth, I think baseball has it the best. Here is what I would do. Combine the best parts from the NBA and MLB and make it best for the NFL. You have a certain number of manditory years that a drafted player spends with a team that drafts him (the NFL can makeup their own length of time 4-6 years most likely). The player is given a "signing bonus" based upon the selection he was drafted (being the #1 overall pick should count for more than the #27 overall). The bonus is nowhere near what they receive today, but it is a nice payday. Your 1st years salary is based upon draft slot. Every following year, your salary is negotiated by the player and team based upon performance and players of like positions and stats salary. If a negotiated salary can't be agreed upon, then an arbitrator is brought in to determine the worth of a player based upon performance and like players of the position. After the determined time of indenturement (4-6 years) is over, the player becomes an unrestricted free-agent is is free to sign with any team for any price. The new CBA may allow teams to use franchise tags or transition tags and all those rules would apply to unrestricted free-agent players and the original team that drafted them.

I think this is the best way for everyone. Teams don't waste money on players that don't perform (JaMarcus Russell, Akili Smith) and gets players that out perform their draft slot (CJ, Jared Allen) the money they earned.

The only arguement I could see agianst it would be how a team would have to adjust their salary cap every year based upon players performance. To me, it would be pretty easy. Take the Titans and CJ for example. CJ is clearly worth more than he is being paid and the Titans know that. If his performance dictated that he would be paid more, they would have a good idea what that amount would be 1 year ahead of when the payment would be due. Plus, players like Vince Young would be paid less than the rookie contract he signed and the teams payroll would almost even itself out. My plan would also due away with the NFLs arbitrary rookie salary cap that they impose on each team every year.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote