Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tennessee Titans Team Forum

Tennessee Titans Team Forum Discuss the Titans

Old 06-29-2010, 10:52 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 Titans' Position Battles...

With the offseason in full-swing and the season coming up quickly, I thought it might be worth discussing which players you think are going to "win" their respective roster-spot.

Below, I've tried to include what appears to me to be the most relevant or likely position battles. Remember, this is who you think WILL win the position, not who you think SHOULD win the position (though you can say that too if you want)...

#2 QB Battle
Kerry Collins vs. Chris Simms vs. Rusty Smith

#3 RB Battle
LeGarrette Blount vs. Stafon Johnson vs. Alvin Pearman

#4-#6 WR Battle (Pick 3)
Dominique Edison vs. Lavelle Hawkins vs. Marc Mariani vs. Mico McSwain vs. Damian Williams vs. Paul Williams

#2 TE Battle
Jared Cook vs. Craig Stevens

#1-#2 DE Battle (Pick 2)
Jason Babin vs. Jacob Ford vs. William Hayes vs. Derrick Morgan

#3 DT Battle
Jovan Haye vs. David Howard vs. Sen'Derrick Marks

#1-#3 LB Battle (Pick 3)
Colin Allred vs. Rennie Curran vs. Stanford Keglar vs. Gerald McRath vs. David Thornton vs. Stephen Tulloch vs. Jamie Winborn vs. Will Witherspoon

#3 CB Battle
Tye Hill vs. Ryan Mouton vs. Alterraun Verner

Safety Cut (Who DOESN'T make the team?)
Robert Johnson vs. Donnie Nickey vs. Myron Rolle
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:18 AM    (permalink
MicktheGreat
Veteran

MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MicktheGreat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are my guesses of who I think WILL win the position battles...

#2 QB Battle
Chris Simms
I don't think we'll pay Kerry Collins that much to backup VY. Sims is an OK backup QB, he's cheaper than Collins, and more experienced that Rusty Smith.

#3 RB Battle
LeGarrette Blount
Right now, Stafon Johnson allegedly has the edge. However, I think Blount will play very well during the preseason and lock-up the #3 RB spot. Blount just seems to be the type of bruising power-back that Fisher likes -- the type that Lendale White was supposed to be but never was. Plus, with some of the health concerns surrounding Stafon Johnson, I could see him being placed on the Practice Squad for a year (unless some team scoops him up, which is a possibility).

#4-#6 WR Battle (Pick 3)
Lavelle Hawkins, Damian Williams, & Marc Mariani
Hawkins is apparently playing out of his mind this offseason and appears to have a spot locked-up. Damian Williams should make it too because of his draft position and his KR/PR abilities. Lastly, I think Mariani could sneak in because of his return abilities and his good offseason workouts.

#2 TE Battle
Craig Stevens
I'd like to see Cook get more playing time, but I think the Titans will use Stevens as the #2 TE in Alge Crumpler's old blocking-TE role.

#1-#2 DE Battle (Pick 2)
Jason Babin & William Hayes
Morgan's the highly touted draft-pick and Ford's the dynamic pass-rusher. But I just have a gut feeling that Washburn goes with Babin as the opening-day starter. No evidence to support this whatsoever though.

#3 DT Battle
Sen'Derrick Marks
He's got unique size and abilities; and I think he will (and should) beat out the under-performing Haye.

#1-#3 LB Battle (Pick 3)
David Thornton, Stephen Tulloch, & Will Witherspoon
I'd rather see Curran starting instead of Thornton; but I think the McRath suspension will result in the Titans going with the veteran (Thornton) over the rookie (Curran).

#3 CB Battle
Alterraun Verner
I don't trust Tye Hill or Ryan Mouton, and I'm not sure that the Titans' coaches do either. So Verner is the pick here because he hasn't done anything to garner mistrust (as weird as that sounds).

Safety Cut (Who DOESN'T make the team)
Robert Johnson
I really, REALLY hope that Johnson & Rolle make the team and that Nickey gets cut. However, I've learned to accept the fact that Nickey (who really only contributes to special teams) is a Fisher favorite and will always be on the opening-day roster. Basically...I'll believe that Nickey's cut when I see it.
MicktheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:26 AM    (permalink
CashmoneyDrew
Icon

CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CashmoneyDrew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#2 QB Battle
Kerry Collins vs. Chris Simms vs. Rusty Smith

I've got Chris Simms in this. He comes cheap, he's younger than KC and he knows Dinger's system. KC is old and making too much money. Rusty Smith will hold 3rd string for a couple of years until they feel like he can transition to the 2.

#3 RB Battle
LeGarrette Blount vs. Stafon Johnson vs. Alvin Pearman

This is LeGarrette Blount's spot to lose. Stafon Johnson has heart and will surely give him a run for his money, but Blount's size, skill-set and talent will help him win the #3 spot in the end. Look for Johnson to be placed on the PS.

#4-#6 WR Battle (Pick 3)
Dominique Edison vs. Lavelle Hawkins vs. Marc Mariani vs. Mico McSwain vs. Damian Williams vs. Paul Williams

Damian Williams, Dominique Edison, LaVelle Hawkins. In that order. Mariani can probably be stashed away on the PS safely.

#2 TE Battle
Jared Cook vs. Craig Stevens

If Jared Cook doesn't win this spot, the Titans might be using a high pick on a Tight end next year come draft time. Stevens is a pure blocker, but he is injury prone and hasn't offered much as a pass catcher so far. In the end I have Jared Cook (hopefully) taking this spot and maybe moving into the #1 spot in 2011 if Scaife walks in FA.

#1-#2 DE Battle (Pick 2)
Jason Babin vs. Jacob Ford vs. William Hayes vs. Derrick Morgan

#3 DT Battle
Jovan Haye vs. David Howard vs. Sen'Derrick Marks

Sen'Derrick Marks will take this easily. Jovan Haye didn't show even a glimmer this past season and a 2nd round pick can't be sitting on the bench for too long. Look for David Howard perhaps to the PS.

#1-#3 LB Battle (Pick 3)
Colin Allred vs. Rennie Curran vs. Stanford Keglar vs. Gerald McRath vs. David Thornton vs. Stephen Tulloch vs. Jamie Winborn vs. Will Witherspoon

Will Witherspoon, Stephen Tulloch, David Thornton. David Thornton's job got saved by the grace of Gerald McRath's silly mistake. I look for him to take Thornton's spot fairly soon after he gets back from suspension.

#3 CB Battle
Tye Hill vs. Ryan Mouton vs. Alterraun Verner

ATV followed closely by Tye Hill. Lord help us if Mouton has to see the field in any capacity.

Safety Cut (Who DOESN'T make the team?)
Robert Johnson vs. Donnie Nickey vs. Myron Rolle

Every year I wait for the final cuts to see if Donnie Nickey will be finally released. This year I think is the year it will actually happen. The Titans are usually pretty conservative when it comes to cutting their rookies. I don't expect either Rolle or Johnson to get cut as long as they show some semblance of a pulse.