Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2014 Draft Cowboys Top 10 Wish List

This isnít a projection of the top 10 players in 2014. This is just 10 players Iíve noticed over the past few seasons that I would love to see the Cowboys add next year. Out of my 10 guys from last year, three were 1st round picks, one was a 2nd rounder, one 3rd rounder, two 4th round picks, a 5th rounder, one Undrafted Free Agent, and one was hurt and redshirted(and is on the list again). You guys know I think Draft all year round but I like to wait until a few weeks after the draft each year to see what positions we addressed and which players are about to be free agents. This year the focus is on Pass Rushers and Offensive Line, mixed in with a few players I really like at other positions. Three Tackles made the list. Iím not thrilled with the 2014 Guards and did not include a Center since we added Frederick in the 1st round this year. Sorry about the heavy Pac-12 homering. I get to go to practices for USC, UCLA, and now Arizona State, plus I usually watch more Pac-12 games.

10. Nick Perry S 6-1/212 Alabama
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...ry_713436.html

He is the least heralded of the Crimson Tideís talented quartet of Safeties, (including Vinnie Sunseri, Ha Ha Clnton Dix, and Landon Collins) and playing behind guys like Mark Barron and Robert Lester didnít allow him a ton of playing time. What I like about him is that when he did get in, he made plays. The Alabama coaching staff is considering moving Sunseri to linebacker to get Perry more snaps. Could be a Day Three steal.

9. Devon Kennard DE/LB 6-3/260 USC
http://www.usctrojans.com/sports/m-f...rd_437719.html

Itís rare for me to have a player return on my wish list but Devon suffered a pec injury last summer and had to redshirt in 2013. The son for former Cowboy center, Derek, Iíve been keeping track of Devon since his Phoenix high school days. Since he arrived at USC he has started at or played MLB, SLB, and both DE spots. Now with the Trojans converting to a 3-4 scheme, he will play OLB. I see him as a Day Three type who could add pass-rushing and versatility to the Cowboys D.

8. Jackson Jeffcoat DE 6-5/245 Texas
http://www.texassports.com/sports/m-...jackson00.html

Another legacy kid as well as another player returning from a pectoral injury. He had 14.5 career sacks at Texas and thatís counting minimal playing time as a freshman and missing seven games as a junior. I see him having a huge senior season and being drafted in the 1st or 2nd round.

7. Marquis Flowers OLB 6-3/229 Arizona
http://www.arizonawildcats.com/sport...marquis00.html

I remember watching him and thinking what a great 4-3 linebacker heíd be, too bad we run a 3-4. If either 6th round pick Devonte Holloman or UDFA Brandon Magee work out, Flowers would be a luxury pick. Still, he would fit in well with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter and the Cowboysí new defensive scheme. He started at Free Safety in 2011 and moved to Linebacker in 2012. Last year, he had 100 tackles, 13 TFLís, forced 3 fumbles, and had 3 interceptions

6. Taylor Lewan T 6-8/308 Michigan
http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-foot...an_471585.html

He went back and forth last year on entering the draft and would have made it 7 offensive linemen in the top 11 players drafted. A long tackle with good feet and a mean streak, he would go a long way in improving the Cowboys line situation. Could Jerry bring himself to draft a BIG10 offensive lineman in the 1st round two years in a row?

5. Larry Webster Jr. DE 6-7/240 Bloomsburg
http://www.buhuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2264

A small-school guy and a project, how can Jerry resist? The son of former Dolphin and Raven Larry Webster, he played basketball for four years before returning to football. A poster from dallascowboysuniverse.com actually turned me onto him last year. He was supposed to be draft eligible this year but I talked to Bloomsburg's defensive line coach and he confirmed that Larry is returning for the 2013 season.

4. Damarious Randall DB/PR 6-0/185 Arizona State
http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m...ll_838528.html

Damarious is a personal favorite of mine since I know him and got to watch him up close last season. A bit of an unknown, he played baseball his first year out of high school and then no sports at all his (academic) sophomore year. The kid is electric and a fearless punt returner. He was a 1st team Junior College All-American and his conferenceís Defensive Player of the Year. He committed to ASU early and then got offered by Oklahoma and a few SEC schools before he decided to stick with the Sun Devils. He'll play Free Safety this year but he expects to man-up big time receivers like Marqise Lee.

3. Jake Matthews T 6-5/305 Texas A&M
http://www.aggieathletics.com/ViewAr...CLID=205236149

You can probably tell Iím a bloodlines guy since this is my fourth son of a NFL player. Jake is moving to the left side this year to protect Johhny Footballís blind side and improve his NFL stock. I think his best position is Right Tackle which is where the Cowboys would need him.

2. Will Sutton DT 6-1/288 Arizona State
http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m...on_771711.html

Whatís going on to where I have more Sun Devils on my list than my beloved Trojans (itís called Lane Kiffin actually). Sutton, despite appearing undersized, was the most dominant defensive player in the Pac-12 and was named the Pac-12 Pat Tillman Defensive Player of the Year. He had 23.5 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. As much as I loved him last year, I couldnít envision a spot for him in the Cowboys 3-4 but with the switch this year, he is perfect for the RDT spot. I could see him going late 1st round due to his size which might be again, perfect for us.

1. Cyrus Kouandjio T 6-6/310 Alabama
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-foo...io_768178.html

As you can see Iím not letting go of my wish to fix the Offensive Line. A lot of talk will be about Taylor Lewan and Jake Matthews but I think Kouandjio will be the top Tackle in the 2014 draft, which means things went horribly wrong if we are in a position to draft him. IMO heís a more polished, stronger Tyron Smith as a junior. Teaming him with Tyron would give us two athletic, long-armed tackles that could neutralize any teamís two best pass rushers.

Last edited by cmd34 : 05-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.
cmd34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I loved reading ALL of that. Good stuff man!

Tell us more about yourself again... sounds like it's your job to scout Pac 12 talent. Is that right?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's a good list. Especially in the trenches.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Witten4HOF
Veteran

Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Witten4HOF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are three things that we need to keep improving on to be successful.
1) Rushing the Passer
2) Creating Turnovers
3) Extending Drives on Offense

10) Gabe Jackson 6'4 330, G Mississippi St- Massive man with good movement skills for a man of his size. Plenty of experience against top tier competition in the SEC and would have been a 3-4 round pick this year had he come out early. Plays with effort but isn't as much as a mauler as his size would suggest.. Needs to develop a better punch to knock defenders off balance.

9) Kareem Martin 6'5 260, DE UNC-There is going to be a huge hole at strong side end if Spencer walks after this season. Considering the cap situation it is probably in the teams best interest to go an alternate route anyway. In Kiffin's scheme pass rush the the essential to the success of all three levels. Martin enters as the top senior at the position and has the frame to add another 10 lbs without limiting his athleticism.

8) Calvin Barnett 6'2 300, DT OKST-Barnett is a JUCO transfer with a high ceiling as a penetrating 3 tech prospect. Displays a nice reaction off the snap and has the quickness to shoot the gaps. Was able to make an impact in the backfield collecting 8 tfl in his first year at OSE. Needs to continue to refine technique but with added pass rush moves can become more efficient at getting to the QB.

7) Stephon Tuitt 6'6 303, DT Notre Dame Tuitt displays rare movement skills for his size and has been able to make an impact as a pass rusher in a 3 man line for the Irish. Has the top end speed of a 4-3 end and the weight of an under tackle but can easily put on another 10-15 lbs without hindering his athleticism. Reminds me a bit of Kevin Williams/Richard Seymour and could be well off the board by the time we get to pick considering his versatility to play in any scheme.

6) Ed Reynolds 6'1 205, FS Stanford Entering the 2013 season the team looks to be ok with the combination of journey man Will Allen and Matt Johnson (who could barely stay on the practice field let alone getting game action) handling FS duties. We will all see how the Johnson experiment works but even with a simplified coverage scheme it will be interesting to see how he fairs. Reynolds burst onto the scene last year for the Cardinals and was able to intercept 6 passes and rack up 301 yards in return yards off of those turnovers. He certainly looked the part of a plus single high defender but at this point is a one year wonder. His Soph campain was completely derailed by an ACL tear and he was barely able to crack the field as a freshman. A productive senior campain will go a long way to cementing his status as a ball hawk.

5) James Hurst 6'7 305, OT North Carolina There is no slight on Kouandjio, Mathews, or Lewan by not having them on this list. I simply think they are going to be top 15 prospects and all of them will most likely be gone by the time we reach the clock. Hurst would be the odd man out but has first round potential himself, like Lewan has good lateral agility for someone so tall and has long arms to wall off passrushers. Needs to continue to add good weight but strength looks to be adequate.

4) He'Sean "haha" Clinton-Dix 6'1 209, FS Alabama Not only does he have a nick name that announcers would have a ball with, he is the type of Ball Hawk that fits perfectly in this secondary. Displays good awareness and is battle tested under the Nick Saban dicatatorship that continues to pump out first round DB's. Solid athleticism and takes good angles to the ball in both the run and passing game. If there is a down side to his game it is he tends to lower his head and look for a knock out hit instead if wrapping up. With the new rules he will have to refine this or he will be fined for illegal hits.

3) Cyril Richardson 6'5 335, G Baylor Callahan has made it clear that regardless of scheme he like some beef in the middle of his offensive line. Richardson has drawn some early comparisions to Cordy Glenn and Leonard Davis because of his ability to swing between T and G at the college level. While he isn't a great athlete he has very good feet for a player as large as he is. It is tough to get around/through him with his combination of short area burst and size in pass protection. In the run game he has the ability to maul when he stays low and won't lose many battles in the phone booth. If Leary develops as expected the potential of Tyron, Ron, Frederick, Richardson and Parnell as a young nucleus going into the 2014 season would be a nice building block for the future.

2) Aaron Lynch 6'6 265, DE USF Lynch had a very productive freshman season before deciding to move on from Notre Dame. Lynch attempted to file for a hardship with the NCAA to remain eligible for his Sophmore season but was denied. While he might start off slow after the year layoff he should pick up quickly against Big East competition that is void of great offensive lineman. He should be able to reset his quick twitch ability and be fairly productive if not dominant. at 6'6 265 Lynch has growth potential to play around 275 if need be, which would be perfect for LE.

1) Timmy Jernigan 6'2 298, DT Florida St Quick and compact, Jernigan is the perfect fit for 3 tech in this scheme. He waste no movement getting out of the blocks and is a handful when he uncoils out of his stance. Has the explosion to split blocks and rip through the QB. Needs to continue to work on his pass rush repitoire but can be a better version of Floyd who could have been selected this year.

Last edited by Witten4HOF : 05-13-2013 at 02:49 PM.
Witten4HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 AM    (permalink
TheFinisher
Pro Bowler

TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheFinisher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how you guys are OL/DL heavy with your lists, I don't see how next year is anything other than leaning towards the trenches. There's a huge gap between our talent, youth and depth at the skill positions vs where we're at on the lines. We seem to be set at QB, CB, WR, TE and possibly LB for the time being. Depending on how Murray handles the workload and the young guys fill the backup spots we could be ok at RB too. Safety is still a question mark for me because Will Allen is a stop-gap an Barry Church has a lot to prove before we dub him a solution, but at least we have some young guys we drafted fairly early in Johnson and Wilcox to develop. That said, if it doesn't work out Safety will be towards the top of the list again heading into the off-season.

So it's safe to say we should be looking heavy at DT, DE, OG, OT and Safety. We need an infusion of young talent on the DL I don't know what Ratliff has left in the tank and there's a legit chance Spencer walks after this year.

Jernigan, Aaron Lynch, Sutton and Anthony Johnson will get plenty of attention from me in the fall.

Last edited by TheFinisher : 07-25-2013 at 09:50 AM.
TheFinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM    (permalink
CowboysBeastMode
Veteran

CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CowboysBeastMode is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

of all the dt's on the list so far sutton is definitely a guy the cowboys wouuld be after, jernigan is alot like floyd and better against the run than as a pass rusher.

another guy people should look out for this fall is Antonio "Tiny" Richardson, LT for Tennessee, he moved dallas thomas to guard, at 6'6" 325 with good movement skills, watch out for him vs CLowney this year
CowboysBeastMode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:02 AM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cmd34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd34 View Post
4. Damarious Randall DB/PR 6-0/185 Arizona State
http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m...ll_838528.html

Damarious is a personal favorite of mine since I know him and got to watch him up close last season. A bit of an unknown, he played baseball his first year out of high school and then no sports at all his (academic) sophomore year. The kid is electric and a fearless punt returner. He was a 1st team Junior College All-American and his conferenceís Defensive Player of the Year. He committed to ASU early and then got offered by Oklahoma and a few SEC schools before he decided to stick with the Sun Devils. He'll play Free Safety this year but he expects to man-up big time receivers like Marqise Lee.
D got his first start as a Sun Devil this past Saturday in Jerry World and had an ASU-record 17 tackles. He also had at least two passes defended but one of those was a dropped interception that would have ended a critical Notre Dame drive just before halftime.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/asu/...-football.html
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/LpZob...arious+Randall

I know a Free Safety with coverage skills is a foreign concept to the Cowboys Front Office but I'll keep hoping anyway.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM    (permalink
cmd34
Rookie

^^more pimping of Damarious. He got his first pick Saturday and took it back to the 5. Also, the NCAA gave him back a year so technically he's a Sophomore now (still draft eligible).