Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:27 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
The problem with Dallas's defense is that it seems to be much better than it really is. The truth is, you have 4 great or potentially great players on D, and the other 7 are mediocre at best.

That's a lot of holes to fill. It's kind of like the Jets defense in a sense that the talent on the unit is overrated but its been masked by good coordination.

Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and possibly Jenkins. Those are your 4 aces. The rest are below average players. Both DEs are below average, both ILBs are below average, the safeties are atrocious, and Newman isn't getting any younger and Scandrick has been poor for 2 seasons now.

You can improve that defense in a number of areas as far as Im concerned. I'd focus on 5 technique if you keep Ratliff at NT, or CB in the 1st round.
Coming from the man who just lost on an Allan Ball INT!!!

LOL just kidding, I agree with you. I think we are stuck at ILB. With the miss on Jason Williams and Sean Lee being out 2nd rounder, I don't think Jerry will swallow his pride and address that.

DL and CB are pretty deep in this draft, which helps us. We have to nab atleast 1 legit o-lineman in FA. I think we are going to win enough games where PP is out of reach, which I know you as a giants far are happy about. I don't know about Prince. He may fall in our laps, or a trade up is necessary.

If we end up around 5-11, we may be in no mans land, which kinda sucks.
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The problem with Dallas's defense is that it seems to be much better than it really is. The truth is, you have 4 great or potentially great players on D, and the other 7 are mediocre at best.

That's a lot of holes to fill. It's kind of like the Jets defense in a sense that the talent on the unit is overrated but its been masked by good coordination.

Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and possibly Jenkins. Those are your 4 aces. The rest are below average players. Both DEs are below average, both ILBs are below average, the safeties are atrocious, and Newman isn't getting any younger and Scandrick has been poor for 2 seasons now.

You can improve that defense in a number of areas as far as Im concerned. I'd focus on 5 technique if you keep Ratliff at NT, or CB in the 1st round.
I disagree. I don't think Newman is mediocre. I don't think James is mediocre. I think Scandrick, while inconsistent, is a decent 3rd CB. Now, I'm not saying those guys are well above average, but there's more on this defense than 4 good players and a bunch of scrubs.

Now, the safety position is so bad, I think it makes some of the other units look worse than they are, namely CB. I think if you had one good safety and one average NFL safety back there, our CB situation would look tons better.

thrule, I think you make an interesting point. I think there will be a position in the OL that we may have no choice but to try and squeeze one more year out of someone. I think we will be hard pressed to replace a RT and 2 guards all in one off season. It may make more sense to keep Columbo one more year and try and fix the interior OL this off season and address RT next.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarthur View Post
I disagree. I don't think Newman is mediocre. I don't think James is mediocre. I think Scandrick, while inconsistent, is a decent 3rd CB. Now, I'm not saying those guys are well above average, but there's more on this defense than 4 good players and a bunch of scrubs.

Now, the safety position is so bad, I think it makes some of the other units look worse than they are, namely CB. I think if you had one good safety and one average NFL safety back there, our CB situation would look tons better.

thrule, I think you make an interesting point. I think there will be a position in the OL that we may have no choice but to try and squeeze one more year out of someone. I think we will be hard pressed to replace a RT and 2 guards all in one off season. It may make more sense to keep Columbo one more year and try and fix the interior OL this off season and address RT next.
As for Colombo, he only makes $1.9M next season. I mentioned that in the Fix the Cowboys thread. In the scenario I posted there, I mentioned him as a possible cut casulty, but that it would be difficult to cut him if the others are also cut. He's cheap enough to keep, even if ends up being a back up.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Ask yourself this: When was the last time Brady James made a play on the field? The guy is just there. Sure hes decent vs the run, but that's about it.

I don't think Newman is a scrub, but he's gonna be 33 next year. That's pretty old for a CB.

I think theres no question that both DE positions and safeties are occupied by scrubs.

Wade did a good job of masking it, as did Ware, Spencer and Ratliff, but eventually it rears its head.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ask yourself this: When was the last time Brady James made a play on the field? The guy is just there. Sure hes decent vs the run, but that's about it.

I don't think Newman is a scrub, but he's gonna be 33 next year. That's pretty old for a CB.

I think theres no question that both DE positions and safeties are occupied by scrubs.

Wade did a good job of masking it, as did Ware, Spencer and Ratliff, but eventually it rears its head.
Actually, I remember Brady making a few plays this year. He certainly blew up dipsh*t on that 4th and 2. Look, I don't think he's much more than average, but he's not a scrub.

Newman is older. safties are scrubs, and that may be kind, but I don't think our DE's are scrubs. Again, no all pro's there, but bowen, igor and hatcher are serviceable.

And DEs in our system are difficult to quantify. I would argue that if a team is having a tough time running on you, the DEs are playing well, even though they may not be making tackles.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Actually, I remember Brady making a few plays this year. He certainly blew up dipsh*t on that 4th and 2. Look, I don't think he's much more than average, but he's not a scrub.

Newman is older. safties are scrubs, and that may be kind, but I don't think our DE's are scrubs. Again, no all pro's there, but bowen, igor and hatcher are serviceable.

And DEs in our system are difficult to quantify. I would argue that if a team is having a tough time running on you, the DEs are playing well, even though they may not be making tackles.
Fair enough. I won't argue that.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LOL. Scandrick is FAR worse then decent, I don't know how you figure that. Bradie doesn't really make alot of plays BBD your right but what are you gonna do? You can't replace both safety spots, find a starting CB or 2, get two ILB(because Brooking is old), find 2 starting DE's, and 4 starting O-lineman all in one off-season.

Just gotta roll with what we have, Stephen Bowen is a very good DE nobody knows about, Igor is good enough. Neithe are a Richard Seymour so if you can get one sure, but their not scrubs. Both safety spots are manned by scrubs though, which is why importance goes above DE due to that. ILB sure we need some guys, but Bradie is young and solid, no need to rush to replace him until we get some other positions filled.

CB is a huge need, whatever you feel about Newman he's old and injury prone at this point, if Scandrick is our slot again were ******, if he bumps up to #2 CB were even more ******. I can't possibly fathom how a guy could play worse then he has for us this season. We hated Jacque Reeves and Scandrick has been worse, that one season I at least remember Reeves making a FEW plays on the ball, Scandrick is just an automatic completion. He should be no higher then 5th DB until he improves his play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's have some ILB talk!

I'll start it off... with a guy at the top of my radar for ILBs.

Nate Irving, MLB, NC State - 6'1, 235

You might say that's slightly small for a 3-4 ILB. I don't care. They guy plays like a man possessed and we drafted Jason Williams who was basically the same size. He was in a car wreak and he missed last season, but this year he's back with avengence. He just totaled 13 tackles against Wake Forest and 8 of those tackles were made behind the LOS. He's a beast! That broke Mario Williams' record of 6 TFL in a game. I love the way he plays. He's also pretty good in coverage. He doesn't have the bulky build that slows him down, so he really gets out there quickly and seems to have a knack at reading the QBs eyes. 4 INTs in '08 before the injury. None this year, but he does have 4 PBUs. On the year so far he has a team leading 78 tackles, 18.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, 4 PBUs, 8 QB hurries, 1 FF and 1 FR.

Lookin' like a 3rd to 4th rounder.

Watch his accident story here...

Old 11-17-2010, 02:47 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's what I'm talkin' about! I wanna read some ILB talk for mid rounders who we can maybe steal a starter from. I don't know much about dude yet D but I'll read more into him, he is jacked up, but I DO for sure want a leader. Fiery, animated, team leader on whoever he plays for now, vocal, a Tashard Choice/Ray Lewis/Keith Brooking type of player.

We need more of those anyway, but I definately wanna get someone in the middle who has those traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

BBD and LL, you guys are wrong about Bradie James this year. I agree with Modano. The guy just has a stereotype of sucking in coverage and being slow. While he isn't good in coverage, overall he has had a hell of a year. Him and even brooking have been flying around and doing there job. The secondary is what's getting torched. Bradie is arguably having a pro-bowl type season, and you can sig quote me on that. He isn't going to get in obviously, but he is playing well. The guy gets a bad rep, but he is playing well. I don't like all the hate on him, it is undeserved. He won the game with that stop of jacobs. And he ****** Bradshaw up all game.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Whatever you guys believe about Bradie, ILB doesn't need to be addressed until the mid-rounds at the earliest, but it should be addressed nonetheless.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:06 PM    (permalink
romo4prez415
Rookie

romo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairromo4prez415 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think the ILBer discusssion really is determined on our scheme. If we want to run alot of man coverage than we have got to get someone like David Harris from the Jets but if we want to play zone I think you can hide Bradie. He's far from a probowl player but you cant really have stars at every position and I can live with him if we're bigger up front and have better safety play.
romo4prez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romo4prez415 View Post
I think the ILBer discusssion really is determined on our scheme. If we want to run alot of man coverage than we have got to get someone like David Harris from the Jets but if we want to play zone I think you can hide Bradie. He's far from a probowl player but you cant really have stars at every position and I can live with him if we're bigger up front and have better safety play.
Bradie has proven a poor zone player.

Burdick is who I want.
baghdadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by baghdadbob View Post
Bradie has proven a poor zone player.

Burdick is who I want.
I agree. Bradie in zone is a nightmare.

Who is Burdick?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.baghdadbob is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I agree. Bradie in zone is a nightmare.

Who is Burdick?
V Burfict, ILB ASU
Old 11-17-2010, 09:12 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
V Burfict, ILB ASU
You know he's not draft eligible right?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:42 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
You know he's not draft eligible right?
I had understood he was a third year SOPH like Sidney Rice back in the day.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:48 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I had understood he was a third year SOPH like Sidney Rice back in the day.
That would be a negative ghostridah. ;)

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/...vontaze00.html

He's a helluva prospect though. Good eye.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:47 AM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Quote:
That would be a negative ghostridah. ;)

http://thesundevils.cstv.com/sports/...vontaze00.html

He's a helluva prospect though. Good eye.
Ray Lewis II
Old 11-19-2010, 02:29 PM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

Does anyone like Sam Young as our RT of the future? The staff may see something in him that we don't get to see. He may be an absolute SCRUB athletically, but he just screams lunchpail RT to me. I'd be willing to give him a shot.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Location: Springfield, OH: Most Depressing City in the Country. Look it up
Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Does anyone like Sam Young as our RT of the future? The staff may see something in him that we don't get to see. He may be an absolute SCRUB athletically, but he just screams lunchpail RT to me. I'd be willing to give him a shot.
I mean what do we have to lose in giving him a shot ?

But in all seriousness I think he may one day be a decent Tackle, not sure he will ever be good enough to go to pro bowls and such but you never know.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some interesting stuff from btb today
Quote:
That player might be DT Stephen Paea, a former rugby player. At 6'1" and 312 pounds he may be a bit undersized, but he is exceptionally strong and is a disruptive force in opponents backfields. He's fast, can penetrate, and has recorded five sacks despite being double-teamed all season. CBSSports has him as the top-ranked DT with a 1st-2nd round grade.

Oklahoma has an intriguing safety prospect in Quinton Carter, projected as one of the top three safeties in the draft and possibly a second round prospect for the Cowboys. He's gotten some good press lately, but the fact that he is a team captain and is perceived to be an exceptional leader on the field and in the locker room should have the Cowboys watching this guy closely. Unfortunately, there are some questions about his speed, so the scouts had better pay close attention.

Baylor's Danny Watkins is a left tackle who's seen his draft stock rise dramatically behind Baylor's 7-4 record. A former fire fighter in Canada, he is described as a gregarious leader. For what it's worth, he was drafted fourth overall in the 2010 CFL draft but opted to play out his final year at Baylor. Watkins is slated as a 2nd-3rd round pick.

USC features a trio of potential third round picks in CB Shareece Wright, FB Stanley Havili and C Kristofer O'Dowd. Havili is the top ranked fullback in this draft, and if you liked John Conner last year and what he's done for the Jets this year, you'll love Havili. O'Dowd is probably the second best center in the draft after Penn State's Stefen Wisniewski (whom the Cowboys have also looked at already).

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:44 AM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Haven't seen much talk about him here, but Robert Sands is a Safety that I have had my eyes on since seeing him on Youtube last season. I thought his height might mean he's the next Pat Watkins, but actually, he's very agile and moves nothing like the stiff Watkins. If we don't have a chance to draft Patrick Peterson, then I would like to draft Sands later in the draft. I like him much more than McDaniels. I still like Barron and Deunta but I think we need to draft OL at the time they will be taken off the board. So as a mid round prospect Sands intrigues me a lot.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
baghdadbob
Rookie

Boy, Wisconsin looks like they have about 7-8 Pro Players on that team.

Their OL looks amazing too.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Boy, Wisconsin looks like they have about 7-8 Pro Players on that team.

Their OL looks amazing too.
John Moffitt is the best of the bunch when it comes to the offensive line and he can provide a team with versatility, being able to play guard or center.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote