Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prospect of the Day: DT Cameron Heyward, Ohio State

To see previously discussed prospects, click here.

DL Cameron Heyward, Ohio State
6'6 - 287 lbs. - Senior

The guy is a beast. I think he can be a great DT or 3-4 DE, definitely has the skill set IMO. Kinda reminds me of Richard Seymour.

How does he rate vs. last year's top DTs though?

Props to clover_jeez!

Last edited by Mr. Goosemahn : 07-17-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's not a DT. He plays inside on passing downs, but he's primarily a DE.

Also, he's ridiculous.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:31 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heyward is a monster. He's one of the best 3-4 DE prospects in years. Though I could easily see a 4-3 team drafting him to play the 3-technique.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:34 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce bce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
He's not a DT. He plays inside on passing downs, but he's primarily a DE.

Also, he's ridiculous.

You know katie perry has a spray on tan in that video. i saw her on american idol. white as casper.
bce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Maybe you should enlighten us on some prospects we dont know about. yes cameron heyward is a great prospect. Everyone knows.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a 5-tech all the way as far as I'm concerned. That said, a lot of teams are going to be looking for a 5-tech next year and he's good enough to go top 10.

It's hard to measure him against this past crop of DT's, because Heyward doesn't profile as an interior 3 or 2-tech.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:53 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Its pretty easy to measure him against them. Hes better. And hes still not really worth a top 10 pick.

Why doesnt he profile for the 4-3? If you can play interior line in the nfl you are not scheme specific.

This idea that "he can only play the 5 technique" its pegging. hes certainly physically able to play dt in the 4-3. Just because hes not sedrick ellis body build doesnt mean he cant play in the 4-3 on the interior. Is his best position in the 3-4? maybe but if hes a great player he can play in both. Great prospects and high draft picks shouldnt be "scheme specific", because if you change your scheme then its a waste pick. I dont see cameron heyward as scheme specific. hes versatile. Thats why hes valuable, because he works in any defense.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:17 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can he slide inside and play as a 3 technique in the 4-3? Yea, he could, but I wouldn't.

If I was going to draft him and I'm running the 4-3, I'd play him at left end and move him inside in obvious passing situations. He's a fantastic player against the run and he's very athletic for a guy his size and is more capable of playing at the power end spot giving a team substantial size and power against the run.

Personally, I think his skillset is more suited for the 3-4 and he's far and away the best in the class for that role. He's a better prospect than Tyson Jackson, who went 3rd overall in his draft. Heyward is more than qualified to be taken in the top 10.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:30 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Heyward is just a bit too beefy to be, say, a Justin Tuck type of player in that role. Thus why it may be hard for him to find an exact fit.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:32 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Im not disagreeing that the 3-4 may suit his talents better, but if hes really a great prospect, and i think he is, he'll be able to succeed in either situation.

Im going to disagree on playing a pass rushing position. You need a pass rusher on both ends of your line, and hes a little too heavy footed for my taste, i dont see a double digit per year sack player, so im not picking him high to play off the edge.

Again it comes back to just because a guy (tyson jackson or otherwise) was picked #3 doesnt mean he should have been and doesnt mean cameron heyward should because hes a better prospect than said player. Its a question of position value and interior lineman are low on the totem pole. Dont get me wrong i love heyward but positional value has top come into play.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bce View Post
Maybe you should enlighten us on some prospects we dont know about. yes cameron heyward is a great prospect. Everyone knows.
read some of the posts from the other "Prospect of the Day" thread, he said he was going to start with Scott Wright's Top 12 for 2011.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 07:59 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Maybe he should change his strategy and enlighten us rather than repeat whats everyones already choking on for the past year.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
JFLO
Pro Bowler

JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JFLO is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds bad because I'm graduating from The Ohio State University next spring, but I'm not as big on Heyward as most people from a strict Draft Prospect perspective. I think his technique needs more work than most people think and he's not the pass rusher that most are making him out to be either, at least at the next level I mean. I think most people are overrating his transition at the next level.

He definitely has the size and potential to be a special player at the next level, but right now it just seems like a lot of potential than anything else. The defensive line, today more than anytime it seems like, seems to be the hardest spot for a lot of rookies to make a smooth transition. It's not like wide receiver, linebacker or running back. That is another reason why I fear for Heyward's potential. Granted, it sounds like I'm predicting a boom or bust type deal for his first year or two, but I think he'll take time to develop in the NFL regardless.

BoneKruser with the DOPE sig
JFLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft him no earlier than late 1st, bulk him up about 25# and let him use his athleticism inside in a 4-3.

Right now he's a strongside end in a 43 or a 34 DE. I haven't seen him play enough, but I don't get that vibe that Heyward can be a quality player in the pros like I did with Will Smith when he came out of OSU.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:49 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
Draft him no earlier than late 1st, bulk him up about 25# and let him use his athleticism inside in a 4-3.

Right now he's a strongside end in a 43 or a 34 DE. I haven't seen him play enough, but I don't get that vibe that Heyward can be a quality player in the pros like I did with Will Smith when he came out of OSU.
This post pretty clearly demonstrates that you haven't seen him play enough. Cam will be a top 15 pick and will most likely go in the top 10. He is one of the best 3-4 DE prospects in years and has an elite skill-set for the position. His game is nothing like Will Smith's. Smith was a 6'3 270 pure 4-3 DE and Heyward is a 6'5 290 DE/DT. Other than the fact that they are both Buckeye DE's, they really don't have very much else in common.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

To be honest, at this point, I'd be surprised if he gets past #5.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:57 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post
Sounds bad because I'm graduating from The Ohio State University next spring, but I'm not as big on Heyward as most people from a strict Draft Prospect perspective. I think his technique needs more work than most people think and he's not the pass rusher that most are making him out to be either, at least at the next level I mean. I think most people are overrating his transition at the next level.

He definitely has the size and potential to be a special player at the next level, but right now it just seems like a lot of potential than anything else. The defensive line, today more than anytime it seems like, seems to be the hardest spot for a lot of rookies to make a smooth transition. It's not like wide receiver, linebacker or running back. That is another reason why I fear for Heyward's potential. Granted, it sounds like I'm predicting a boom or bust type deal for his first year or two, but I think he'll take time to develop in the NFL regardless.
You are right about his technique, which is why that is specifically what he says he is working on this season along with his hands. We've already gotten a glimpse of the result in the spring practices and the spring game where he was getting by opposing tackles with his quickness and technique instead of just his power.

And it never hurts playing in the Big Ten against some fantastic offensive lines and this year, he will have an early showcase game against Miami and Orlando Franklin at least in spots as he rotates to both sides of the lines.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:25 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFLO View Post

No ones making him out to be a pass rtusher at the next level, because hes not a pass rusher at the next level.IF they are then thats where the mistake is. Hes an interior defensive lineman. So how would you rate him as an interior defensive lineman at the nfl level?
Old 07-17-2010, 09:27 PM    (permalink
bce
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

Thats because youre comparing him to an edge rusher.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's a better prospect than Tyson Jackson and I imagine any 3-4 team sitting between 6-10 will be looking to add him. I also can't believe anyone would try to compare him to Will Smith; they've got different skill sets!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
CB31
Rookie

CB31 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CB31 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Like most people said, he's a monster at the 3-4 DE. Great motor, and holds his own at the LOS. I think he could also add a little bulk to that frame. The bloodlines can't hurt either. While obviously not his strong suit, he could benefit from some pass-rushing moves. Technique could use some refinement, especially with his hands (as wonderbredd stated) as well.
CB31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Like others have said, Heyward is a rare fit as a 5-Tech, his ideal position both in college & at the NFL level. If a 4-3 team were to draft him, outside the Top 10-15, they'd be expecting a 3-Tech; however, his real draft value lies in a "30" front where he can really play to his strengths while eliminating some of the weaknesses you see from him inside, playing Under-Tackle.

If a team had the gall to draft Tyson Jackson in the Top 5 overall, then another 5-Tech needy franchise, such as Cleveland could find him well worth a choice among the draft's top picks. It wouldn't surprise me to see some 3-4 teams rank Heyward as the best defensive player in the draft come April.

Cameron Heyward - Ohio State
Defensive End #2 - Overall #6
6052e 294e - 4.95e

A hard player to place, Ohio State's Cameron Heyward might be one of the most proven defensive linemen in his class. As a three-year contributor for the Buckeyes, he's shown the ability to line up at Defensive Tackle or End and remain effective. Can be a dominating player at times, proving too explosive for some interior linemen and too strong for Offensive Tackles to handle consistently. For years Heyward has been a rock along the defensive line, showing surprising maturity from his freshman year in which he was named to the Freshman All-America team. His father, Craig, spent time in the NFL and could be helping his son prepare for the mental & physical wear that is sure to accompany Cameron in his senior season and moving forward.

A strong run-defender who likely won't be putting together 8-10 sack seasons in the NFL, Heyward seems destined for the integral 5-Tech position. When at his best he uses his length and power to control blockers, a true force against both the pass and run. He still must battle some inconsistencies in his technique which may be holding him back from taking over some games. He may also be best suited for a weight closer to 305-310 in order to add some additional anchor strength to a frame that looks as if it could afford to hold up to 20-25 more pounds without a significant loss in foot speed. If he can show a bit more consistency along with improved technique then a Top 5-10 choice wouldn't be far-fetched. It wouldn't be a surprise to see Heyward emerging as one of the nation's most intimidating forces up front.

Pros
+ Excellent size, long, thickly built, muscular, and sturdy
+ Very good athlete for his size, fluid, quick, and agile
+ Upper body strength, can over-power smaller OL
+ Gets into the backfield and influences plays, a mismatch for interior linemen
+ Great tackler, powerful wrap-up tackler that rarely lets one get away
+ Controls blockers with those long arms & upper body power, sheds blocks well
+ Powerful base, gets good leg drive and isn't moved easily in the run game
+ Relentless, a high-motor player that works to the whistle
+ Strong in pursuit, with considerable awareness & athleticism
+ Draws double teams and shows the ability to beat them when he's at his best
+ Plays big against top opponents, stepped up vs. USC, Wisconsin, and Oregon
+ Experienced in a number of positions/roles playing for a top collegiate program
+ Rare fit for the 5-Tech could add to NFL Draft value
+ High-character player, smart & a hard-worker with NFL bloodlines
+ Can get his hands up to disrupt passing lanes
+ Durable, takes care of his body and hasn't missed time in three years

Cons
- Inconsistent technique, can struggle when OL get into his body
- Needs work with hand placement, could be throwing blockers around
- Tends to disappear when faced with lower competition instead of dominating
- May be too tall for a 3-Tech and not quite quick/fast enough for an End
- Won't ever be considered a particularly dangerous pass-rusher
- Might struggle to get leverage playing inside at the next level
- Must show continued improvement to live up to First Round billing

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't been in love with drafting a 3-4 DE this much probably ever. I'm usually keen on waiting for this position, but he truly seems like a guy who could transform a 3-4 DE from average to really good like we say a great NT could.

It's very rarely I see a guy and say he's primarily a fit as a 3-4 End, but he could be a game changer at that position very easily, there are so many things to not and not very many to hate about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:47 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

lets focus on the topic at hand and gobble the junk of Cam Heyward. Tyson Jackson will be a better NFL player than him. Book that **** bitches!
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
TheRoo
Rookie

TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo TheRoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
lets focus on the topic at hand and gobble the junk of Cam Heyward. Tyson Jackson will be a better NFL player than him. Book that **** bitches!
lol.

Cameron Heyward is twice the player that Jackson is.

Heyward is a Richard Seymour clone. He is a great fit for a 3-4, but he could play end or tackle in a 4-3. He uses his hands as well as any defender, has decent speed and is very, very strong at the point of attack. He can play in any system. I would love to see my Browns pick him up next year.
TheRoo is offline   Reply With Quote