Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Prince's 2010 Truths

With the first training camp opening up tomorrow I felt this was an appropriate time to post my truths for this year. I tried to comment on one story from each division, and that seemed actually difficult because there seems to be good discussion going on in this forum throughout the off-season and I wanted to give perspective on items that haven't been touched too much.

The Mess out West

For several years now the San Diego Chargers have been the king of the AFC West, but I think their string of four straight divisions titles will come to end here in 2010. I want to start with the Chargers and what weaknesses I see in them to believe that the run will come to end. The biggest red flag(s) sit with the potential holdouts and absences of Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeil. When you take out the franchise left tackle and Pro Bowl caliber wide receiver off of any offense there’s going to problems, and I think you have to worry about it even more when you have an offense that is so dependent on the passing attack. I know people are jumping on the Ryan Mathews train and project him to be a big spark plug in their rushing attack. I believe he’ll be an upgrade over Tomlinson, but his effectiveness will be hurt because the team won’t necessarily have the passing attack in front of him to take the pressure off. The defense is solid but they need Shawne Merriman to resemble his former self and give them pass rush to help out a secondary, more specifically safety position, that has struggled. And let’s not forget that Norv Turner is still their head coach; he’s a good offensive mind but I pointed out the question marks there and this team has gone through some head scratching slumps during his lead.

So who is going to emerge as the team to unseat the Chargers? The Chiefs are a developing team but they are still two or three years away from being a threat at all and the Broncos showed promise last season but I feel they have too many question marks throughout that defense to be a threat to the Chargers and Kyle Orton is still their quarterback. That leaves me with the Oakland Raiders (go ahead and laugh). After last season when they trotted out JaMarcus Russell, Charlie Frye, and Bruce Gradkowski, it was obvious that they needed to make an improvement there and Jason Campbell is a sizable upgrade compared to those other “players”. There are a handful of skill players around him with nice potential (McFadden, Bush, Schilens, Murphy, Heyward-Bey, Miller) and they have never played with a quarterback who is able to distribute the ball like Campbell (now let me clear up, I’m not saying Jason is this wonderful quarterback but he is much better than anything this franchise has seen in several years). The offensive line has question marks but they do have options and brought in some solid young guys through the draft, Veldheer and Campbell. Moving to the defensive side of the ball I like the players that they’ve managed to bring in at each level. Richard Seymour is the headliner along the front but they have options/names alongside him (Henderson, Houston, Wimbley, Groves, Shaughnessy, Kelly, Joseph). I know some of them haven’t proven much or are just rookies but they have more numbers and depth than we’ve seen from them in the past. At linebacker they’ll be led by rookie Rolando McClain, and he brings the smarts and winning mentality to be the leader of this unit and defense for the next decade. Thomas Howard is another player I like and between him and McClain they should provide long-term stability at the position. The secondary has one of the game’s best in Nnamdi Asomugha and across from him Chris Johnson has flashed real ability paired with his freakish athleticism. At safety Tyvon Branch could be working his way towards being a perennial Pro-Bowl player, but there are question marks at free safety that need to be ironed out. As a whole I think this defensive unit is legit and I am a big fan of their depth along the line and pair that with an offense that will be able to move the ball much better than years past, I think we’re looking at the new AFC West Champions in the Oakland Raiders.

Texans’ Emerging Strength

The Houston Texans have gone through the past two seasons as the “sleeper” team to finally find their way into the postseason, much like we heard with Arizona for so long. Their offense can put up points with any team out there as long as Matt Schaub stays healthy, but the defense has continually been a developing project. Mario Williams anchors the front four and they’ll need Okoye to take that next step forward if this unit wants to do so as well. It’s a solid unit and far from the Texans’ biggest concern, even though the depth and impact at tackle is still a work in progress. DeMeco Ryans is one of the game’s best middle linebackers and when you pair him with Brian Cushing, you have yourself a wonderful tandem there and Zac Diles is a quality player on the weakside. The biggest weakness and often the thing holding the Texans back from making that push to the postseason is the secondary; that is about to change. I believe by the end of this upcoming season the cornerback duo of rookie Kareem Jackson and second year man Glover Quin will be one of the league’s best starting cornerback duos. Jackson, who I felt was the best corner in this past draft, has been reportedly wowing the Texans’ coaching staff this off-season and Quin contributed very well but very quietly in his rookie season. At safety Bernard Pollard is a good football player and they will need more contributions from the free safety spot, but no longer will the guys on the outside be the most concerning part; rather they’ll be one of the strengths and one of the league’s best. This isn’t the final piece of the puzzle for the Texans but I think it’s the piece of the puzzle that will finally get them to the playoffs.

Green Getting too much Gold

The Packers are indeed overrated. Peter King has them as his NFC favorite in the Super Bowl!!! Aaron Rodgers is a very good quarterback and his weapons are plenty, so there's no need to discuss the positives of the team, which mainly lie on offense. The offensive line did improve last season, but coming into 2010 it's unrealistic to expect Clifton and Tauscher to both stay healthy because they're aging and have suffered from injuries in the past. Who will be there to replace them? Bulaga would be expected to and I don't see him doing too well from the left side if asked to do so (I see him as the right, not left, tackle of the future).

Moving to the defensive side of the ball, there's a young bright spot at each level (Raji, Matthews, Collins) and of course there's Chuck. Along the defensive line, Pickett has been moved to end and I just do not see him playing as well at end compared to his play at nose last year. I know they want to see Raji in the middle, and so I question why they gave Pickett the extension they did if this was their plan (not that he didn’t deserve money but that much to an end longterm?). Cullen Jenkins at the other end is always solid, but after the starters there's not much depth, IMO. Johnny Jolly has his legal troubles and he’s been suspended for the year, 2nd round pick Mike Neal is a head scratcher and I don't see much of an impact from him, and Jarius Wynn is a nice player but I don't want to see him playing much. CJ Wilson is another possibility and I think he'll see most action on passing downs. The linebackers are led by second year man Clay Matthews and Barnett/Hawk are solid but not spectacular inside, and then by far the greatest weakness in Brad Jones. He's not that good of a pass rusher and coverage needs quite a bit of work, yet the team ignored the position entirely this off-season and I think it's going to come back and bite them in the ass. Jones will definitely be the target of many opponents. Then we move to the secondary. Chuck is as good as they come and Nick Collins is solid (but I feel not as good as some want to give him credit for). The second corner position looks like Tramon Williams spot to lose and I'm not sure how I feel about him starting all season for this team; another point of focus for opponents. Al Harris may come back but given his injuries I don't see him making much of a positive impact this season, Pat Lee will be lucky to stay healthy and anything from him will be welcomed, Underwood is still developing, and then it's even more unproven youngsters. I mentioned Collins at safety and then the team will have to rely on a rookie in Morgan Burnett, who I feel is full of potential but is a tough pair with Nick Collins because both are looking for the spectacular play in coverage and have a tendency to get burned. Bigby will try to provide competition but he's struggled with health and has never been quite as good as he played in the 2008 divisional round game against Seattle.

Overall this team has some question marks throughout the defense and the offensive line's health is going to be vital. I know some people will and have brought up defensive statistics from last season and they're kidding themselves if they think there aren't question marks. Just watch the games against actual good teams and the defense's flaws are evident. It's tough to project a team's health and stuff like that this far out from the season, but taking a look at the team's schedule and the improvement throughout the division I think the Packers making the playoffs again will be a small victory. I could easily see this team losing seven or eight games and that surely doesn't scream a team that'll be in the Super Bowl. You can call me a bit pessimistic too, but I do feel that the Packers are getting too much love.

Remember Steven Jackson?

With the Rams’ troubles over the past couple of years Jackson has often become an after-thought when discussions of the league’s top running backs come up, but I feel this year will be a re-emergence of sorts on the national scale. He did put up some very solid stats with no passing attack whatsoever and as long as Sam Bradford gets his contract done and can into camp I think Jackson will be able to build on last year and put up the best numbers of his career. The offensive line is young and a continued work in progress but they are talented and I feel they’ll be able to do a good enough job to keep Bradford on his feet and open up holes for Jackson. From a fantasy standpoint there seems to be fewer and fewer teams who are strictly one back systems, but the Rams happen to be one of the few. That means plenty of opportunities for Jackson and given the improvement, overtime, along the line and the hopeful improvement at quarterback, I feel Jackson will be a top five fantasy back in 2010. The Rams, as a whole, will probably only improve by two or three games because of a weak defense but their offense is starting to form nicely and Jackson is the centerpiece of it.

Poor John Fox

I am a big fan of Coach John Fox and I think the Carolina Panthers are far better off with him as their head coach, but this year will probably be the conclusion to his run in Carolina. The offense is all about running the football and Williams/Stewart is a sick tandem back there. The offensive line is built appropriately and Matt Moore showed at the end of last year that he’s a good enough game manager to compliment the backs. The defensive front four will be the cause for his demise. They weren’t a strong unit to begin with in 2009 and now you take out Julius Peppers and throw in Everette Brown; not a good move! The back seven of this defense is definitely worthy of a contending team, but this front four will struggle, specifically in the pass rush, and the backers and secondary will pay the price for that as well because quarterbacks will be able to pick them apart. The run defense will struggle too because linemen will be able to get to the second level and neutralize the backers. Consequently the team will suffer, lose games, and cost John Fox his job, assuming he wants to stay there.

Eagles Flying Low

One of the worst moves of the entire off-season was the trade of McNabb to the Washington Redskins and leaving the keys of the Eagles’ organization to unproven Kevin Kolb. He did get limited time last year and while his fantasy numbers were impressive, the whole scope of his play wasn’t all that impressive. His first start game against the Saints and he was able to accumulate the majority of his stats while working from behind. His second start game against the Chiefs and their pass defense was ripped apart by any team that had any sort of passing attack. Of course someone and come back and say it would’ve been more troubling had he struggled in that game, and while I agree, I don’t think that game is the kind of evidence you want to support the fact that you traded the face of your franchise and decided to move forward. The Eagles will have their positive moments this season, no doubt, but the division is tough and Kolb’s struggles will be there, and this will lead to them potentially being the cellar dwellers of the East. The one thing that could keep them out of the cellar is their defense and their draft strategy this year shows that they put high priority on building a strong defense with Kolb under center. I see the Eagles winning between five to seven games this year and it’ll be another two or three years before they’re relevant in the NFC again.

More Pain in Pennsylvania

I just got done commenting how the Eagles will struggle this upcoming season with Kevin Kolb under center, and if the state of Pennsylvania is looking for a team to get into the playoffs, the Steelers won’t help that cause. The suspension of Roethlisberger is the biggest reason for this, and if he is in fact out for all six games then I just don’t see this team finding a way to win ten games throughout the year. The second cause for my concern is their offensive line and while they did add Pouncey that only fixes one spot and Colon was put on IR today, so they lose one starter from last year’s squad and any potential depth. The defense will have to be the saving grace and if Troy Polamalu goes down once again then you can eliminate any chances; most of us are aware of the discrepancies when he plays and when he sits. There just seems to be too much uncertainty and time is not on their side to form a cohesive unit with the changes at quarterback for them to compete and make run with such a tough division and league around them.

On the Clock

It’s a popular pick but I’m going to comment on it anyways. The Buffalo Bills made a head scratching decision with their new head coach and given their huge question marks along the offensive line and at quarterback they seem like the odds on favorite to be choosing first in next April’s draft. The Rams, Buccaneers, and Browns are the strongest contenders to threaten this title.

Award/Playoff Predictions

NFL MVP – Tony Romo
Offensive Rookie of the Year – Jahvid Best
Defensive Rookie of the Year – Eric Berry

NFC Playoffs
East – Dallas Cowboys
North – Minnesota Vikings
South – New Orleans Saints
West – San Francisco 49ers
Wildcard – New York Giants and Green Bay Packers
NFC Champion – Dallas Cowboys

AFC Playoffs
East – New York Jets
North – Baltimore Ravens
South – Indianapolis Colts
West – Oakland Raiders
Wildcard – New England Patriots and Houston Texans
AFC Champion – Baltimore Ravens

Super Bowl Champion – Baltimore Ravens

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

- Last year you said the packers defense was their achilles heel
- You said the cowboys would finish last in the division last year way off
- You have had john fox getting fired since 2008
- In '08 you were chugging the browns koolaid claiming they would win the AFC North

About half of these predictions might come true. But i guess 50% is all you need to consider something truth anymore. If these are truths than i am the tooth fairy.

Colts Cardinals Bulls Hurricanes

Last edited by Bob Sanders Dreadlock : 07-22-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Bob Sanders Dreadlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock View Post
- Last year you said the packers defense was their achilles heel
In games that were against top end competition last season the defense was awful, specifically the secondary...did you see the Arizona playoff game???

and you can call me out on my truths if you want, i don't really care (especially from you) but if you're not going to constructively breakdown my post or come out with your own then don't comment

Old 07-22-2010, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bob Sanders Dreadlock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
In games that were against top end competition last season the defense was awful, specifically the secondary...did you see the Arizona playoff game???

and you can call me out on my truths if you want, i don't really care (especially from you) but if you're not going to constructively breakdown my post or come out with your own then don't comment
True but it was a fumble on the offense that cost them the game. What can constructively said about picking the browns to win the AFC North? Not exactly someone deserving of their own thread with such big misses.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:30 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even without McNeil and Jackson, San Diego still has enough firepower to move the football and put up some points. I expect them to try and pound the rock with Matthews and they should be able to do that in their division without a major problem.
I also can't see the Texans in the playoffs because of the schedule. It's absolutely brutal. How long can you be a sleeper team? I worry about the Ravens too because of no Ed Reed for the first 6 weeks. He is the heart and soul of a secondary that already isn't exactly a strong point.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You were the one person to agree with my assessment on the Packers D, so I'll back up up here.

Here are the stats I looked up for my truths thread a few months back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

They played:
Bears (twice) - 23rd ranked overall offense
Bengals - 24th
Rams - 29th
Vikings (twice) - 5th
Lions (twice) - 26th
Browns - 32nd
Bucs - 28th
Cowboys - 2nd
49ers - 27th
Ravens - 13th
Steelers - 7th
Seahawks - 21st
Cardinals - 14th

10 of your 16 opponents were 20th rated or worse in overall offense...

3 of your losses came in games facing the teams better than 20th, and one your wins was the Cardinals in the final week after they had locked everything up, and then they went on to annihilate your defense a week later.

And in all of your losses, including 2 to the Bucs and Steelers, your defense gave up 30+ points.

I have concerns with this defense.

I have concerns when a team with this defense is being touted as the top team in it's conference, and a Superbowl threat.
Unless they show a marked improvement against legit offensive competition, they just don't have the makings of a Superbowl defense.

Quote:
True but it was a fumble on the offense that cost them the game. What can constructively said about picking the browns to win the AFC North? Not exactly someone deserving of their own thread with such big misses.
Why yes, the Cardinals scored 51 points on that fumble....how foolish we all are for forgetting that...

Last edited by BeerBaron : 07-22-2010 at 03:35 PM.
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Rodgers fumble in overtime obviously cost them the game at that point but the 531 yards and 45 points that the defense surrendered in regulation was the key reason they lost.

And why are you bringing up a prediction/truth I made in 2008? I'll admit that I was wrong (sorry!) but I don't know what more you want me to say about it

Old 07-22-2010, 03:37 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post

Don't worry about him, he keeps trying to find a way to win a arguement, its quite saddening.

But you forgot to mention Mike Karney to Stephen Jacksons success!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Jackson has a lot of competition to become a top 5 fantasy back. Ray Rice, CJ2K, Deangelo Williams, AD, and frank gore all have better situations to put up better stats. Jason Smith played only half the season and still has his health in question. I think he will be closer to 1200 yards this year. After 324 carries last year i wonder how his body will hold hes had the injury bug.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:00 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.zachsaints52 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jackson has a lot of competition to become a top 5 fantasy back. Ray Rice, CJ2K, Deangelo Williams, AD, and frank gore all have better situations to put up better stats. Jason Smith played only half the season and still has his health in question. I think he will be closer to 1200 yards this year.After 324 carries last year i wonder how his body will hold hes had the injury bug.
And CJ2k, AD, and Mojo had as many carries, so your last point really doesn't have an validation. You could make the arguement CJ doesn't get hit as often, but you can't really say the same for AD and MoJo. Also through his career he has missed some games each year, but AD will soon have those as well as their styles are similar. Not to mention Ray has Willis and Leron taking the TD's, Deangelo has Stewart, AD has Gerhart now. Not to mention if Ravens, Titans, or Vikings clinch HFA they wouldn't see the field as much.

Also can't argue against Gore because he will be a Top 5 back as well.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
And CJ2k, AD, and Mojo had as many carries, so your last point really doesn't have an validation. You could make the arguement CJ doesn't get hit as often, but you can't really say the same for AD and MoJo. Also through his career he has missed some games each year, but AD will soon have those as well as their styles are similar. Not to mention Ray has Willis and Leron taking the TD's, Deangelo has Stewart, AD has Gerhart now. Not to mention if Ravens, Titans, or Vikings clinch HFA they wouldn't see the field as much.

Also can't argue against Gore because he will be a Top 5 back as well.
Jackson will faced more stacked boxes than any of those other guys as well. Bradford, feely or whoever they throw out there will not intimidate any defenses.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jackson will faced more stacked boxes than any of those other guys as well. Bradford, feely or whoever they throw out there will not intimidate any defenses.
Because...you know....Marc Bulger, Keith Null, Kyle Boller, Brock Berlin....whoever else they had back there.....really did intimidate those defenses into letting Jackson run wild.

The wear and tear on his body may slow him down, but he's absolutely been getting it done with nothing else around him for years now.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
zachsaints52
All-Pro

Quote:
While that could be the case, they stacked last year while SJax had a herniated disc, and he still managed to only miss one game and 2nd in rushing. Now with a better OL, Laurent Robinson coming back (he was having a decent year before leg injury), Avery and Mardy Gilyard, and a QB that noone doubts has very good accuracy, I can see him bettering his last year stats.

Also, Mojo will face alot of stacked boxes, and if Favre doesn't come back AD will too. I would expect Gore as well until Smith actually shows people he needs to be taking seriously on a full time basis.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Bob Sanders Dreadlock
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsaints52 View Post
While that could be the case, they stacked last year while SJax had a herniated disc, and he still managed to only miss one game and 2nd in rushing. Now with a better OL, Laurent Robinson coming back (he was having a decent year before leg injury), Avery and Mardy Gilyard, and a QB that noone doubts has very good accuracy, I can see him bettering his last year stats.

Also, Mojo will face alot of stacked boxes, and if Favre doesn't come back AD will too. I would expect Gore as well until Smith actually shows people he needs to be taking seriously on a full time basis.
The better O-line is pure speculation. An what i said still stands all those guys have better QB's than the rams do. Avery took a dip in production this past year, and bradford could end up being terrible.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:30 PM    (permalink
dj825
Rookie

dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dj825 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

John Fox has gotten Carolina as far as he can take them and hasnt been able to put up back to back winning seasons yet and on top of that stuck with jake Delhomme for 3 or 4 seasons too long which is why he will hopefully be fired after this season or resigns not because of the D Line. That said i do agree the line will be a killer for the Panthers Defense and im just hoping at least one of those guys will flash because right now Tyler Brayton is probably our best D Lineman and although Brayton did fairly well the past few seasons alot of that is because of Peppers who as you stated is no longer there. All of this however was all brought on by John Foxes and Marty Hurneys refusal to really play anyone or even draft anyone worth a crap for the line followed by his sudden urge to start everyone who hasnt been playing and cut all of the veterans (Steve Smith is now the only player over 30 besides the Kicker and Punter). That urge was brought on because Fox was finally starting to feel pressure from the FO about not developing the younger talent on the team and the fact that he wasnt resigned because of his lackluster seasons and embarrassing playoff losses to the Seahawks and most recently jakes 5 turnover performance against the Cardinals so he decided to finally do a mass exodus of all the vets and is now hes hoping some of the youngers guys flash and he'll be able to save face put together a decent season and maybe get a HC job somewhere else...Fox did build this team from the ground up and took a 1-15 Team to a Superbowl 2 years later and lost barely and took them to the NFC championship game a few years later (the aforementioned embarrassing loss to the Seahawks) but as i said has been unable to even string together back to back winning seasons. I like John Fox and i appreciate what he has done for Carolina but its time to move on.
dj825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:08 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not exactly someone deserving of their own thread with such big misses.
QFT.

This is a message board, after all. It's serious business. If you don't hit everyone of your predictions right, then you might as well just stop posting. That **** just ain't allowed to go down. If you ask me, I think if you miss 80%, then you should be banned. Don't wanna water down our message board community with those wastes of internets.

Honestly though Dreadlock, did you look up his past threads or did you just latch onto them in your memory until the day you could call him out? I can't keep up with half of these, and they're all usually off the mark to some degree. It's actually impressive to get a few of these shots in the dark right (because they're all risky guesses - no one's coming out saying, "The Colts will make the Playoffs!" or some safe guess like that.), let alone your 50% number.

C'mon man. Take a chill pill and layoff. You have an issue with some of the "Truths" (which is just SWDC's own little title for us when we make our prediction threads - not always supposed to be taken literally, but whatever), cool. Argue against them like you're doing with SJax. But don't attack PF28. That's just weak.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyway, back to the topic.

I don't think there's any problem with giving Steven Jackson love, or even someone calling him a Top 5 fantasy back. Guys like CJ2K, AD, MoJo Drew, and Ray Rice (who may even be slightly over-rated *braces himself*) are probably the Top 4. But between SJax, Gore, and DeAngelo Williams, I don't see why it's wrong to put SJax ahead of them. Supporting cast wise, Williams isn't exactly in a great spot. Good OL, but no passing game means crowding in the box. Not to mention he'll have carries taken away by JStew. SJax won't be having carries taken away. I wouldn't exactly say SanFran's QB situation is intimidating towards defenses, although the OL should be better with their rookie additions (although, they are rookies - they could suck just like Bradford). Gore has injury concerns as well, and his backups are better and guys like Coffee could take carries and Anthony Dixon could take goalline carries.

Jackson is the most talented of the three, and while his supporting cast is the worst, it was probably worst last season - yet he outproduced both of these guys with that worse OL and with guys like Keith Null at QB.

I'll save my "run-blocking" rant for later, even though SJax is a prime example as to why I think it's an over-played card by fans. That and I think the Rams OL has more talent than people think with Jason Smith, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, and now Rodger Saffold. But nevermind...

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:29 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
I'll save my "run-blocking" rant for later, even though SJax is a prime example as to why I think it's an over-played card by fans. That and I think the Rams OL has more talent than people think with Jason Smith, Jacob Bell, Jason Brown, and now Rodger Saffold. But nevermind...
Feel free to share on the run-blocking thing.....I honestly think a great RB couldn't exist without at least an average o-line with the only main exception Barry Sanders, but his skill set helped him compensate.

Someone like Jackson or LT early in his career are good examples of backs who crack 1000 yards even with lousy lines, but typically they need more carries to do it and take a hell of a beating in the process.

Meanwhile, there are all kinds of examples of running backs who had no business rushing for 1000+ but got great help from o-lines. Pretty much any RB the Broncos used during Shanny's tenure can attest to that. Portis was probably the most talented of the bunch, but he did cool off quite a bit when he moved to Washington.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rumors abound that fox is 100% likely to be fired anyway.

Besides, the defensive line isn't as simple as Peppers is being replaced by Everette Brown. Basically there's 4 positions and there'll be 7 guys rotating in and out based on package. It's not ideal, but the team was competitive last year with a similar system. 3 losses last year can be attributed to nothing else but Delhomme's failure as a passer, and I don't mean games that might have been won, I mean games that were being controlled by Carolina and were thrown away with turnovers.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Totally agree on Portis. I've been saying since his first year in Washington that running him like Gibbs was would only end in a prematurely ended career as a starter. The dude in only 28 and we're talking about him having very little left in the tank. Maybe being back in the ZBS will help.

I do love the Raider prediction, I just don't think it'll come true. I do think Oakland will get better, but I actually think San Diego will get better too. Oakland will finish second in that division, but the Chargers will still be the cream of that crop.

If the Raiders had gotten McNabb, on the other hand...

Last edited by Paranoidmoonduck : 07-22-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Paranoidmoonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 07:16 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

My opinion is that RB success is contingent on a few things (in order): 1) Their talent, 2) The talent of the opposing DEF, 3) How they fit the OL's blocking scheme/OL's talent, 4) Passing variable.

So when guys come in going, "If the OL could run-block better like so-and-so's OL, he'd be just as good!" I always roll my eyes. I think RB success is mostly weighted on his own abilities. The rest are just slight-to-moderate boosters and impedements. That's why there are talented RB's who have great seasons behind terrible OL's. Would they have better seasons behind better OL's? Yes, but that's pointing out the obvious. But to me that's making excuses for a RB. CJ2k exploded behind the Titans' OL, so they get all kinds of credit for being good. Yet LenDale White struggled to maintain 4 YPC behind all of the same variable. So that's why I think it's primarily dependent on the RB. You're not gonna put an average RB behind the best OL in the league and make him a Pro Bowler.

Also, I just don't think people can gauge run-blocking very well. It's usually other factors they base it off of like the OL pass-blocking abilities, the success of the RB, the team's overall record, etc. I don't think it's difficult for an OL to run-block like it is for one to pass-block either. There are guys who are great at it, but I don't think there are many OL's who can't run-block. You know?

Shanny's ZBS is the exception to the rule. I think those are just matching up the right RB to that scheme. But if the RB doesn't fit, then he won't do well in that scheme. So again, it depends on the RB. He may be average, but he has a talent that allows him to cut and go which excels in that scheme. That's why I think scheme matters just as much, if not more, than the OL talent. Not to mention, if you give a RB enough carries, he'll get to 1,000+ yards. I don't really like the "He was a 1,000-yard back" staple much anyways. It's just not a incredible goal to me. Just above average in my view.

I dunno. Typing that all out just sounds redundant. That true for anyone else?

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
Totally agree on Portis. I've been saying since his first year in Washington that running like Gibbs was would only end in a prematurely ended career as a starter. The dude in only 28 and we're talking about him having very little left in the tank. Maybe being back inthe ZBS will help.

I do love the Raider prediction, I just don't think it'll come true. I do think Oakland will get better, but I actually think San Diego will get better too. Oakland will finish second in that division, but the Chargers will still be the cream of that crop.

If the Raiders had gotten McNabb, on the other hand...
SD's schedule is very easy to start with this year, I think you'd have to be looking at a lot of injuries to see the Raiders overtake them. Depending on Campbell it wouldn't surprise me to see them 8-8 or even vying for a wild card spot though.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good work by the Fresh Prince here, even though I don't agree with San Diego falling apart.

But you have to tip your cap to a man with a pair big enough to pick the Raidaz to win that division. They did win a few nice games late last year against good teams. And they did have horrible QB play, which will be much better with the pedestrian (as opposed to pathetic) Jason Campbell.

But to dismiss the Chargers here in July I find is silly because A) McNeil and Jackson both do not want to holdout. We've seen tons of guys unhappy with their situations in spring and summertimes, only to be back with their teams and all forgotten by September.

Also, Vincent Jackson is not Andre Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald here catching 100 balls a year. He's also not a burner.

PF is correct about the overrated Packers defense.
Brett Farve killed this defense twice last year, not sacked once and not picked off once.
Roethlisberger set a Steelers all-time record with 520 yards passing.
And you all witnessed Kurt Warner going 22/23 between the hashmarks in slicing this defense like a Ginsu.
Last I checked, the team is bringing back the exact same OLBs, as well as CBs who we hope will heal up and play better.

Interesting stat highlighting this defense and offense: Last year, the Packers were undefeated in games in which they allowed fewer than 30 points.
One more gloomy note: Turnovers. Last year, this defense lived on turnovers. That could be a problem because you can't rely on them week-in, week-out. Against good offenses, they didn't get them and as a result, got lit up like the 4th of July skies.

The only decent offenses that the Packers shut down were Dallas and Baltimore, which I find ironic because that's who PF picks in the Super Bowl.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Packers are Peter King's Favourites? Hell yea! U will end with about .500 and miss it! Peter King is never fails (or always fails?)

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Prince you are the most pessimistic person on this forum. Our defense definitely had its trouble when it mattered most but it was the 1st year in the new system. Hell I thought our defense would be much much worse then it was.The stats do lie but most games we did pretty well IMO. The games we got raped everyone agreed who watched the game that Dom Capers got away from what was working so well. Sending pressure. Our secondary was paper thin almost the entire year. We definitely could have used some help at CB through free agency or the draft. But here is to hoping Pat Lee, Brandon Underwood, Josh Bell or someone can step up. We also will no longer have to deal with Kampman playing out of position anymore, hardly making an impact. Not to mention impact players at OLB in a 3-4 are what really matter. Im not saying we will be any better but we have alot of young guys and a year under our belt so theres hope for improvement.

Plus who needs a defense when our offense will be amazing. Our O-line definitely is shaky but Rodgers has proven how good he can be without one. When they actually block he is almost unstoppable. Being called superbowl contenders is a bit early but I definitely think there is hope that we could be that team. There is just a lot of ifs.

Actually we did intercept Farve just got called back on some ********. It wasn't important tho it just allowed the Vikings to get a TD and go up 7 before halftime.
2:20 watch..

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote