Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is Keith really going to be that much better than old Pierce? I loved Bulluck pre injury but I'm not so sure he can still make a big impact. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why didn't the Titans resign him?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM    (permalink
DoughBoy
Pro Bowler

DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoughBoy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Why didn't the Titans resign him?
A torn ACL and alot of confidence in Gerald McRath. Like Voodoo said, when the Titans let someone walk, 99.9% of the time its for the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurrell Casey
I love light skin and white women but my main chick is brown skin

Last edited by DoughBoy : 07-25-2010 at 02:07 PM.
DoughBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually think that he'll be a 4th linebacker. Unless our DTs are much much better we'll need a MLB who can clean up the run, that's Jonathon Goff. KB meanwhile would be brought on on passing downs while also being Boley's backup incase he gets banged up again. At least that's what I'm hoping happens. Unless of course we plan to move Boley to SLB which I'm not too fond of given how well he's played at WLB for us.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 07-25-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keith Bulluck has always been one of my favorite players. Not sure how he'll thrive coming off of an ACL injury and switching to the MLB position at the age of 33, but I'll definitely be keeping my eye on him. Can't be any worse than Antonio Pierce who I heard has been disappointing since the Giants won the Super Bowl.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
He's gonna be playing MIKE for ya'll? You sure?

Yikes...not sure how I like that. He may be 230 lbs. right now, and his playing weight at OLB was around 235 lbs. He's a coverage linebacker, and taking on blocks isn't his strong suite. He was solid at stuffing for an OLB though.

I love KBull. He has much more left in the tank. Just depends on how his ACL has healed. I'm just worred about him playing MIKE. I'm assuming ya'll are moving more towards Cover 2 than ZBS? Cause if there's one thing Bulluck can't do, it's blitz.

Ya'll could be heading towards a situation like Oakland was in last year with Morrison if ya'll are needing a MLB who needs to take on and shed blockers and not one that can drop and excel in coverage. Bulluck's definitely a leader though, and he was the one who got everyone lined up on DEF for the Titans.
Yeah, all indications point towards a Cover 2 defense. I know most of us Giants fans are in denial about it, but all the subtle signs point towards it. I don't think that's a good fit for our personnel at all, but it is what it is.

We need a thumper at MIKE, he doesn't seem to fit the bill. I'm very skeptical about this move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I actually think that he'll be a 4th linebacker. Unless our DTs are much much better we'll need a MLB who can clean up the run, that's Jonathon Goff. KB meanwhile would be brought on on passing downs while also being Boley's backup incase he gets banged up again. At least that's what I'm hoping happens. Unless of course we plan to move Boley to SLB which I'm not too fond of given how well he's played at WLB for us.
No, Bulluck is the starting MIKE. They pretty much told him so. He's not coming in as a situational player. They MAY use him at SAM if Sintim isn't ready, but I doubt it. Its pretty much set in stone that he's our MIKE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Is Keith really going to be that much better than old Pierce? I loved Bulluck pre injury but I'm not so sure he can still make a big impact. Hopefully he proves me wrong.
I think they're opposite players. Pierce couldn't cover for ****, Bulluck is great at coverage but isn't the thumper type. Pierce wasn't a thumper either, he was pretty much useless out there, but still.

I think Bulluck is an improvement over Pierce quite frankly bc ANYTHING is an improvement over Pierce. But I personally rather let our young guys play and prove their worth.

The only reasons why I see us making this move is bc we wanted to fill a leadership void, and bc we are running a Cover 2. I know they claim they're not, but I personally don't believe a word from coaching staffs during the offseason. They tell the fans what they want to hear, not necessarily the truth.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:06 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but Keith is a tough SOB. he'll bring leadership and some toughness that this D severely lacked last year. I mean we were pathetic, not motivated, falling apart etc. I think Keith is perfect right here. And we finally have a MIKE who can cover. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by this move. Also, scotty's insider info: He and Osi are good pals. Osi's thrilled about this and Keith's gooing to push him hard. My aunt said Osi is ecstatic and I think you're gonna see the Osi of old us giants fans miss and love
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:25 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
but Keith is a tough SOB. he'll bring leadership and some toughness that this D severely lacked last year. I mean we were pathetic, not motivated, falling apart etc. I think Keith is perfect right here. And we finally have a MIKE who can cover. I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised by this move. Also, scotty's insider info: He and Osi are good pals. Osi's thrilled about this and Keith's gooing to push him hard. My aunt said Osi is ecstatic and I think you're gonna see the Osi of old us giants fans miss and love
I think Osi needs to man up and stop needing a big brother type to keep him motivated (first Strahan, now Bulluck).

We have his replacement in house in case he gets cute. He needs to shut up and play.

Bulluck is coming off an ACL. Theres no guarantee he's back. I know he wowed them during workouts but still. It usually takes 2 years to come back from a ligament tear. Plus he's 33, so who knows if he ever comes back from that.

We need a guy who can stack and shed, he's not that guy. The problem I have with all the Giant offseason moves the past 2-3 years is that we're so hell bent on getting players to stop the pass that we completely ignore stopping the run.

And that's what killed us last year, we had no run stuffers. Now we enter this season by adding just 1 run stuffer in Linval Joseph. The rest were all pass coverage/rush moves. Again.

We were soft up the middle last year, and this doesn't really make us any tougher.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:32 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This signing pretty much means the Giants do not have faith in Jonathan Goff or starting rookie Phillip Dillard.

At least that's my take on it. Or perhaps its not Goff's play that bothers them, but his quiet demeanor that doesn't get the respect of his teammates. They need a leader too, and maybe they look at Bulluck as a guy who can be a lockerroom leader and vocal guy in the middle.

I'm curious to know how much he has left in the tank. He'll be playing MIKE for us. The guy used to be a beast, but he's old now and coming off an ACL. I don't know what to expect out of him.

Part of me would prefer starting Goff or Dillard and at least seeing if we have something in them so we can address it in the offseason or not. Bulluck is just a 1 year rental, it doesn't really solve anything for us.

If he still has something left in that tank though, then this is a great signing. I'm skeptical though.

Not it means we need a veteran guy to come in right away. I think it reflects poorly on what we think of Gerris. We moved him to mike, and now added a veteran which indicates to me, that we have no patience left in developing him.
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I think with just Bulluck's prescence and mentality, we're incredibly tougher. Hopefully with Canty healthy and now Linval, we can bring back some toughness. Last year, we couldn't do ANYTHING on D. literally nothing. rush the passer, stuff the run, stop the pass. we could do NOTHING. I'm just in love with the Bulluck signing. The Sam Madison comparison of a few years ago is spot on. he can help us on the field, and more importantly off, and help the development on. His leadership will be probably be the most important part of him signing on. Mentally, we were incredibly weak. No passion, leadership or anything. Bulluck will be an enormous plus in those catagories.
Quote:
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss+Manning=Banning View Post
Not it means we need a veteran guy to come in right away. I think it reflects poorly on what we think of Gerris. We moved him to mike, and now added a veteran which indicates to me, that we have no patience left in developing him.
Gerris had nothing to do with this signing. He was 4th on the depth chart at MIKE.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gerris had nothing to do with this signing. He was 4th on the depth chart at MIKE.
They made the move thinking he could salvage something at a position with a huge hole. Clearly they didnt like his progress, and the Dillard is a rookie, leaving us with 1 guy and Chase. So we get a stop gap, and hope he can teach and help the others. And if someone steps up, then they may win the position later in the season. Plus gives us depth if there are injuries.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:46 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Well I think with just Bulluck's prescence and mentality, we're incredibly tougher. Hopefully with Canty healthy and now Linval, we can bring back some toughness. Last year, we couldn't do ANYTHING on D. literally nothing. rush the passer, stuff the run, stop the pass. we could do NOTHING. I'm just in love with the Bulluck signing. The Sam Madison comparison of a few years ago is spot on. he can help us on the field, and more importantly off, and help the development on. His leadership will be probably be the most important part of him signing on. Mentally, we were incredibly weak. No passion, leadership or anything. Bulluck will be an enormous plus in those catagories.
I think leadership is slightly overrated. Leadership wasn't a problem until we lost to Philly in the playoffs in 08 and lost Spagnuolo.

Leadership is a cliche term, leaders step up when the time is right. The problem was we weren't winning, not leadership.

I think belief in the coaching staff and having a good system in place is what we need. When a team buys into the coach, leadership will emerge on its own. When they don't, there won't be any leadership.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
They made the move thinking he could salvage something at a position with a huge hole. Clearly they didnt like his progress, and the Dillard is a rookie, leaving us with 1 guy and Chase. So we get a stop gap, and hope he can teach and help the others. And if someone steps up, then they may win the position later in the season. Plus gives us depth if there are injuries.
They didn't put their eggs in Wilkinson's basket. They just moved him in hopes that he could salvage his career and stay on the depth chart. He was the 4th string MIKE, there were 3 guys ahead of him to take that position.

Now with Bulluck, he's 5th on the depth chart. In fact, if you count Kehl, he's 6th on the depth chart. Wilkinson is getting cut this year.

They didn't have faith in Goff, thats why they made this move.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

I'm not sure I agree BBD. at times this year, we looked just too defeated. we had no energy or guys stepping up. We were a defense with no leader. Not on the field, or even off with our DC. we had nothing. the mental aspect is not to be overlooked. the Super Bowl winning team embraced the underdog mentality and look where it got them. Embracing a mentality and fighting with it, with leaders is a crucial part of this game. We had nobody to look to last year, and I think Bulluck can step up and be that.

also, our communication last year was piss poor to say the least, and a smart, experienced guy like Keith can help us there big time.
Low risk, super high reward move here, if you really wanna look at it that way
Quote:
Old 07-26-2010, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They didn't put their eggs in Wilkinson's basket. They just moved him in hopes that he could salvage his career and stay on the depth chart. He was the 4th string MIKE, there were 3 guys ahead of him to take that position.

Now with Bulluck, he's 5th on the depth chart. In fact, if you count Kehl, he's 6th on the depth chart. Wilkinson is getting cut this year.

Faith is nice and all, but even if they had faith in Goff having a vet like Bulluck just in case would be a good move just in case. Plus Bulluck will help fire up the troops while also mentoring youngins like Goff, Dillard and Kehl.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 07-26-2010, 12:55 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree BBD. at times this year, we looked just too defeated. we had no energy or guys stepping up. We were a defense with no leader. Not on the field, or even off with our DC. we had nothing. the mental aspect is not to be overlooked. the Super Bowl winning team embraced the underdog mentality and look where it got them. Embracing a mentality and fighting with it, with leaders is a crucial part of this game. We had nobody to look to last year, and I think Bulluck can step up and be that.

also, our communication last year was piss poor to say the least, and a smart, experienced guy like Keith can help us there big time.
Low risk, super high reward move here, if you really wanna look at it that way
They were defeated bc they had no faith in Sheridan, and they were injured beyond belief. 8 of our starters on defense were injured, plus more guys on the bench. Think about that.

I think the leadership void was a problem in the coaching staff. Even with Strahan, our defense pointed fingers, was lost in communication etc with Tim Lewis (with AP in the middle). Once we got Spags, the team bought in, and the defense played well and together, even when Strahan left in 08.

It's belief in the system, once players buy into the system, leadership emerges on its own.

If the players don't buy into the system, it doesn't matter how many veteran "leaders" you have, your defense is gonna suck regardless.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Faith is nice and all, but even if they had faith in Goff having a vet like Bulluck just in case would be a good move just in case. Plus Bulluck will help fire up the troops while also mentoring youngins like Goff, Dillard and Kehl.
This wasn't a just in case move. He's brought in to be the starter. Not a bench guy to come in just in case Goff sucks it up.

LB is one of the easier positions to plug and chug with. They don't need a mentor. They need playing time.

Dlinemen need mentors, DBs need mentors. LBs don't.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:

Or they felt like he needed more time. Implement a new system, and get a veteran to come in, who was proven, and in the meantime, take the pressure off of the mike backer. Also, no Goff doesn't have to set the line, and make the calls like he would have. Let a veteran who was proven do that.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
They were defeated bc they had no faith in Sheridan, and they were injured beyond belief. 8 of our starters on defense were injured, plus more guys on the bench. Think about that.

I think the leadership void was a problem in the coaching staff. Even with Strahan, our defense pointed fingers, was lost in communication etc with Tim Lewis (with AP in the middle). Once we got Spags, the team bought in, and the defense played well and together, even when Strahan left in 08.

It's belief in the system, once players buy into the system, leadership emerges on its own.

If the players don't buy into the system, it doesn't matter how many veteran "leaders" you have, your defense is gonna suck regardless.
Agreed.

Quote:
This wasn't a just in case move. H
e's brought in to be the starter. Not a bench guy to come in just in case Goff sucks it up.

LB is one of the easier positions to plug and chug with. They don't need a mentor. They need playing time.

Dlinemen need mentors, DBs need mentors. LBs don't.
That's not true, the MIKE for us has to make all of the calls, all of the adjustments, the audibles, the MIKE has to read the field and the team. While Goff is a smart guy and has supposedly been doing well at learning all of that it doesn't hurt to have someone with as much experience as KB has helping him improve at reading the game. Plus I just think KB is too washed up for us to be depending on him to be the rock in the middle of our D, especially coming off of the torn ACL.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-26-2010, 01:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Agreed.

That's not true, the MIKE for us has to make all of the calls, all of the adjustments, the audibles, the MIKE has to read the field and the team. While Goff is a smart guy and has supposedly been doing well at learning all of that it doesn't hurt to have someone with as much experience as KB has helping him improve at reading the game. Plus I just think KB is too washed up for us to be depending on him to be the rock in the middle of our D, especially coming off of the torn ACL.
The only way he's not our starting MIKE is if he reinjures himself, or sucks so hard that TC is forced to bench him.

Goff doesn't need anymore mentoring. He learned under Pierce for 2 years now, and he's an LB. They don't need mentoring. If he doesn't get it by now, he won't get it next year.

I like Goff, I think he should be given a chance. I don't get why we made this move. Even if it works out, what does it accomplish? We go into the next offseason still wondering if we have our future MIKE in house or if we need a replacement.

Quote:
Or they felt like he needed more time. Implement a new system, and get a veteran to come in, who was proven, and in the meantime, take the pressure off of the mike backer. Also, no Goff doesn't have to set the line, and make the calls like he would have. Let a veteran who was proven do that.
He had 2 years under Pierce to learn from a veteran. He had plenty of time to learn how to do things. This isn't a qb, or a DT or a WR. This is a linebacker, he shouldn't need this much time to get adjusted.

Let's just be honest with ourselves and call a spade a spade. It is what it is guys, not every move we make is a great move. And not every pick that we make in the draft is gonna pan out.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:30 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
The only way he's not our starting MIKE is if he reinjures himself, or sucks so hard that TC is forced to bench him.

Goff doesn't need anymore mentoring. He learned under Pierce for 2 years now, and he's an LB. They don't need mentoring. If he doesn't get it by now, he won't get it next year.

I like Goff, I think he should be given a chance. I don't get why we made this move. Even if it works out, what does it accomplish? We go into the next offseason still wondering if we have our future MIKE in house or if we need a replacement.

He had 2 years under Pierce to learn from a veteran. He had plenty of time to learn how to do things. This isn't a qb, or a DT or a WR. This is a linebacker, he shouldn't need this much time to get adjusted.

Let's just be honest with ourselves and call a spade a spade. It is what it is guys, not every move we make is a great move. And not every pick that we make in the draft is gonna pan out.

Quote:
Q: Is it any different to be in the middle in the base defense on say first and 10 versus being in their on a passing down?

A: Yeah, absolutely, but that's based on the formations and the offensive set. My film study will help me out a lot when it comes to that. You know, I take on guards and I take on centers. A lot of times when I was at Tennessee, I'm getting blocked by a guard and a center. My work is always cut out for me. I don't think it'll be any different here, and I haven't really even thought twice about it. It was not a matter of me getting confidence to play the middle. Confidence has never been an issue with me when it comes to this game. I think that it's just going to be fun and I'm planning on making a lot of plays. I know you can make a lot of plays from that spot, and Antonio made a lot of plays from that spot. If that's the spot I'm playing, I expect nothing less from myself.

That confidence and experience is what the staff is looking for. And two years under AP back then means nothing now. New system, new coach, new terminology. Everything changes. A veteran like Bullock can easily adjust and can make all the calls with no hesitation. Goeff may have the talent to play it, but I'd rather have him eased into this specific system, and learn behind Bullock for a year, and then play it. Who knows if he does well, he can outplay him.

Quote:
Q: What about calling the plays in the huddle, making the adjustments before the snap? I'm guessing you did that in Tennessee?

A: Since I've been a starter in this league, I've been the signal caller. I've been the signal caller since my sophomore year in college, and that's what I do. It might be a little unnatural for me not to do that, but if I'm the one with the ear piece, then that's fine, too. Yeah, I am very comfortable with that. That's what I do, and I have to be on the same page as the defensive coordinator. The way I was coached in Tennessee, by Dante Cunningham when I was young, he coached all the linebackers like our meeting rooms were coaching seminars. He coached us in depth and taught us to be in tune with the defensive coordinator. At the same time, the defensive coordinator isn't playing, he is making the calls so you have to anticipate certain things. The mental part of my game will come in a lot, and that will benefit this team a lot.
That's a key component in having him here. Bullock was the Titans version of AP for their LB corps. Now for us he can step in, learn with confidence, and come in and call the signals and set the front.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:33 PM    (permalink
Bad Boy
Rookie

Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy Bad Boy

He will not do much.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
That confidence and experience is what the staff is looking for. And two years under AP back then means nothing now. New system, new coach, new terminology. Everything changes. A veteran like Bullock can easily adjust and can make all the calls with no hesitation. Goeff may have the talent to play it, but I'd rather have him eased into this specific system, and learn behind Bullock for a year, and then play it. Who knows if he does well, he can outplay him.

That's a key component in having him here. Bullock was the Titans version of AP for their LB corps. Now for us he can step in, learn with confidence, and come in and call the signals and set the front.
Honestly, I could care less about Q and As in the offseason. They're all hype just to get us fans riled up over nothing. It's not the actual answers I pay attention too, I like reading in between the lines with them.

Bc first and foremost, they're all fluff. They just say what fans want to hear. Especially coordinators. You hear every coordinator say in the offseason that we want to "be aggressive" and "get after the ball carrier/qb" and all those cliche terms. Nobody is gonna say "yeah we're gonna rush 4 and sit back, bc we like being passive"

Instead they mask their true intentions with generic cliche terms that spark excitement from fans.

And secondly, Goff was a MIKE for years. He was a MIKE in college and now a MIKE in the NFL for 2 years. He's made calls his whole career. I don't buy that he can't make calls. One of his strengths coming out of college was his intelligence and ability to line guys up and read plays.

The reason why he's not calling plays is bc he's so quiet and mild mannered that he doesn't win over the huddle. Not bc he lacks the ability to do it.

He just needs a chance. I'm not buying the Bulluck kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Honestly, I could care less about Q and As in the offseason. They're all hype just to get us fans riled up over nothing. It's not the actual answers I pay attention too, I like reading in between the lines with them.

Bc first and foremost, they're all fluff. They just say what fans want to hear. Especially coordinators. You hear every coordinator say in the offseason that we want to "be aggressive" and "get after the ball carrier/qb" and all those cliche terms. Nobody is gonna say "yeah we're gonna rush 4 and sit back, bc we like being passive"

Instead they mask their true intentions with generic cliche terms that spark excitement from fans.

And secondly, Goff was a MIKE for years. He was a MIKE in college and now a MIKE in the NFL for 2 years. He's made calls his whole career. I don't buy that he can't make calls. One of his strengths coming out of college was his intelligence and ability to line guys up and read plays.

The reason why he's not calling plays is bc he's so quiet and mild mannered that he doesn't win over the huddle. Not bc he lacks the ability to do it.

He just needs a chance. I'm not buying the Bulluck kool aid. I'll believe it when I see it.

I like those transcripts. They are a good way to get to know a player. PLayers are usually honest in answering them.

Making calls in college vs the pros is a big difference. If you use that logic, then why do we have busts? Players play football in college and do well, so why cant they do it in the pros? After all the basics of the sport is the same. It's not like a 10 yard curl magically changes to a super duper curl.

I don't buy that. Quiet and mild mannered doesn't effect one's ability to make calls when the coaches want u to do it. Eli is quiet and mild mannered, do we see the WR calling the plays? No of course not, that's Eli's job.

The Mike's job is to make the calls and set the front. Being mild mannered as nothing to do with it. If it's your job you do it. If you can't do it, and do it well within seconds. Then that's a huge problem. This system is new, so if he is struggling then I can see why they have a stop gap like Bullock coming in, especially if he did it well, at a high level, in the league for years. Learn from someone like Bullock, with no huge pressure to start. And then we re-evaluate after the year and go from there. We see how much each player has progressed or regressed then.

But that's just us talking. It really is pointless if we just can't ask Fewell or Coughlin and ask what the issue was. I would be the first to ask Gilbride about Moss, and what the deal with him is.