Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 03-18-2007, 04:08 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.
Default Greatest OLs in CFB History

It's simple folks, you don't win MNC's without a really good (not good, but really good) O-Line. That being said, I've always wondered which of the championship teams in history had the best set of big-uglies.

I've only been watching CFB since the late 90's, so I personally see '01 Miami, '05 USC (even though they didn't win the MNC, this line was better than the '04), and '05 Texas as being the best of the best.

Miami had Bryant McKinnie, Vernon Carey, & loads of NFL Talent. There was no way Ken Dorsey was gonna get his shirt dirty. I forget if they were a better pass blocking line or run blocking line, but either way they dominated.

USC's '05 O-line had each of their linemen (Baker, Kalil, Lutui, Matua, Justice) named to an All American team by atleast one publication or another. They paved the way for 2 1,000 backs in one season. While Justice, Kalil, and Baker will be the three that got 1st round attention, I really think that the presence of Lutui and Matua made this the great run blocking team they were.

Then you have Texas w/ Blalock, Scott, Allen, Sendlein, and Shields. Probably the best pass blocking line I've ever seen. Yea, even better than Miami. I'm impressed with the size of this line.

What do you guys think?
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the 2000 michigan o-line had 2 first round picks (Hutchinson, Backus), and a 2nd rounder (Maurice Williams) in the same draft. Also had current NFLer Jonathan Goodwin and an honorable mention Big Ten in Dave Brandt.

Last edited by Michigan : 03-18-2007 at 08:23 AM.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The '05 USC line had alot of NFL talent there with 4 eventual first day picks. But that Michigan line that was brought up to was stellar.

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:47 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 05 Texas line had Jon Scott, Justin Blalock, Kasey Studdard, Tony Hills as a backup, and Lyle Sendlen at C (they also had a DL of Tim Crowder, Rod Wright, Larry Dibbles, Frank Okam, and Brian Robinson).

Feed Moncrief

Last edited by Don Vito : 03-18-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:16 AM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best UM OL (recently) was McKinnie, Romberg, Bibla and Joaquin Gonzalez and Sherko Haji-Rasouli. That USC OL is ridiculous though.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Although I'm drawing a blank I'm willing to bet that the best OL in college football history came before 2001.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:19 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
the 2000 michigan o-line had 2 first round picks (Hutchinson, Backus), and a 2nd rounder (Maurice Williams) in the same draft. Also had current NFLer Jonathan Goodwin and an honorable mention Big Ten in Dave Brandt.
Has to be the winner. That was an amazing o-line.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
energizerbunny
Veteran

energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.energizerbunny is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Those Nebraska Olines in the 90s were unreal, they didn't have much NFL talent though which won't give them much leverage in this debate.
energizerbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Woody56
Veteran

Woody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairWoody56 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

the 1996 Florida state line had Walter Jones and Tra Thomas on it I think
Woody56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerbunny View Post
Those Nebraska Olines in the 90s were unreal, they didn't have much NFL talent though which won't give them much leverage in this debate.
Yeah the "black shirts" were dominate because they said they were.

I'm not sure about one of the best of All-Time but the 1994 PSU OLine was considered dominate at the time. It consisted of Jeff Hartings and Marco Rivera who combined for 5 Pro Bowls.
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reigle9 View Post
Yeah the "black shirts" were dominate because they said they were.
"Black Shirts" Is the nickname for their defense.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm not sure all the starters, but one of the OSU offensive lines in the mid-early 90's had Korey Stringer and Orlando Pace as bookend tackles. That was a truely dominant line...
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:28 PM    (permalink
DoWnThEfiElD
Pro Bowler

DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DoWnThEfiElD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Has to be the winner. That was an amazing o-line.
You have to recognize the 97 team with LT Jon Jansen, LG Chris Zeimann, C Zach Adami, RG Steve Hutchinson, and RT Jeff Backus
Old 03-18-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWnThEfiElD View Post
You have to recognize the 97 team with LT Jon Jansen, LG Chris Zeimann, C Zach Adami, RG Steve Hutchinson, and RT Jeff Backus

almost all starters in the NFL

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Florida State's OL from the past 3 years :D

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
"Black Shirts" Is the nickname for their defense.
I stand corrected, I'm still bitter from '94.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I stand corrected, I'm still bitter from '94.
Yeah, that team was beastly. You guys smashed my Ducks in the Rose Bowl 38-20. I still remember the first play of the game: 80 yard TD run by Ki-jana Carter. It was quite apparent at that point that we were over matched up front. Just another year where we all got robbed of seeing a true Championship game. That would've been a great matchup too. Might have gone down as one of the all time classics.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 PM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

Hey duck,
While you're here, I have a question for you. I can't remember the year, but it was when Feeley got benched for Harrington. At the time I thought AJ was better, but Harrington had the hype. It turned out Feeley probably ended up being the better NFL QB since Joey had chance after chance, but always failed. Did most fans want Joey to start because of the hype?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I remember that. Hell, Joey had billboards across New York. lol
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:56 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
Hey duck,
While you're here, I have a question for you. I can't remember the year, but it was when Feeley got benched for Harrington. At the time I thought AJ was better, but Harrington had the hype. It turned out Feeley probably ended up being the better NFL QB since Joey had chance after chance, but always failed. Did most fans want Joey to start because of the hype?
Nah, Joey was probably the better player. He truly was great during his years here. There's really nothing more we could have asked of him. He basically led us to the Championship game in '01, but we got screwed like you guys did in '94. And I'm not so sure I would say Feeley is the better player yet. I don't think Joey was worth the #3 pick, and I think people's view of him would be different had he been a lower pick like Feeley. Feeley is seen as an over achiever in the NFL, and Joey is seen as a bust. Even though Joey has actually been more productive on the field.

But who knows how great Feeley might have been had he never injured his elbow during his junior year. He was having a hell of a year up to that point. But yeah, nobody ever had a reason to call for him once Joey became the starter, because Joey didn't lose games. We've been spoiled with great QB's here. Feeley never got a chance to establish himself as the man, so it was an easy transition to Harrington. Good question though. I think I just confused myself while answering it. Sorry for the ramble.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey duck,
Harrington is the better pro.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:54 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Form what Ive heard Oklahomas Oline during the 70s was pretty damn dominant.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

How about Oklahoma's line the year they lost to USC in the Orange, didnt everyone on that line get drafted.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
How about Oklahoma's line the year they lost to USC in the Orange, didnt everyone on that line get drafted.
Yea, that O Line was highly regarded. That's why it was surprising when the USC D-Line was able pressure Jason White into all those picks and sack him all those times.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Solomon
Veteran

Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.Solomon could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
I remember that line having Jammal Brown, Davin Joseph, Vince Carter, and Wes Sims. Who else was on that line?

As far as the Husker lines of the mid 90's go they had some better pro prospects than people give them credit for. In '94 they had Zach Weigert, Brendan Stai, Arron Graham and Rob Zatechka. Wiegert and Stai went first day and turned out nice NFL careers and the other two were drafted as well. Combine that with the blocking of FB Cory Schlesinger and it's easy to see why Lawrence Phillips was so dominant in college.