Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:38 PM    (permalink
scpanther22
Rookie

scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.
Default Roger Goodell: Fans have made it clear, they don't like preseason

I like the preseason myself.Not big on 18 games
Quote:
"The fans have made it incredibly clear that they don't like preseason games," Goodell said. "So the idea of staying within the 20-game format and taking two preseason games and converting them to regular season games has a lot of appeal. But you have to do it in a comprehensive fashion that is going to ensure that the game stays safe for our players, and that we maintain the kind of quality or improve on the quality that we're doing."
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ike-preseason/
scpanther22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:40 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We made it clear we don't like Goodell, but he sure isn't firing himself.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:46 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's using the fans as an excuse, but all this comes down to is it's a way to get the NFL more money.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:48 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Piss off Goodell. I like the preseason...and some of these later round or undrafted guys need all the time they can get to make an impression.

Dallas has a bunch of these guys playing key roles on the team right now...if preseason was cut years ago, we may not have some of our best players today.

Tony Romo: undrafted
Miles Austin: undrafted
Patrick Crayton: 7th round
Sam Hurd: undrafted
Kevin Ogletree: undrafted
Jay Ratliff: 7th round
Stephen Bowen: undrafted
Alan Ball: 7th round
Mat Mcbriar: undrafted

That's only 5 starters...4 of which are pro bowlers. They all earned their way on, cutting preseason down is asinine.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We also don't like you ******* with the Draft time.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For real. He pisses me off with all these changes and it's all about the dollar. So I guess, from that standpoint, he's doing a pretty damn good job, but yeah...**** off, Goodell. Stop changing the things I love.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
We also don't like you ******* with the Draft time.
^ THAT comment I totally agree with.

Let's cut the window-dressing here for a moment, FOUR or FIVE preseason games is way too much. And season ticket holders are charged the same for that garbage as they are week 17 games. WTH?

You like college where the first game counts? I do. You can tell who's had good, productive practices in that first week, and it counts in the standings.

But if you want preseason, then 2 practice games is enough.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
MizzouBig12
Rookie

MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.MizzouBig12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Which "fans" is he talking about? The casual fan who can't tell the difference between the two Adrian Petersons or the fans (like most folks here at DCD) who are passionate and knowledgeable about the game??
MizzouBig12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:59 PM    (permalink
TitanHope
Website Contributor
All-NFLDC

TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitanHope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

****... I must've missed the vote.

[@TDWinstead]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) View Post
Damn Ke$ha is sexy.
TitanHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouBig12 View Post
Which "fans" is he talking about? The casual fan who can't tell the difference between the two Adrian Petersons or the fans (like most folks here at DCD) who are passionate and knowledgeable about the game??

The casual rich guy who buys tickets so he can be seen at a social event, not us guys that download torrents and find ways to pirate Sunday ticket so we can watch as many games as possible.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Shahin
Veteran

Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shahin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Am i the only person who actually enjoys the preseason games?

RIP ST
Shahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:07 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
^ THAT comment I totally agree with.

Let's cut the window-dressing here for a moment, FOUR or FIVE preseason games is way too much. And season ticket holders are charged the same for that garbage as they are week 17 games. WTH?

You like college where the first game counts? I do. You can tell who's had good, productive practices in that first week, and it counts in the standings.

But if you want preseason, then 2 practice games is enough.
How is 2 games enough? If you only have 2 games, the starters will have to play more. There are plenty of fantastic players around the league that only got there start from performing well in camp and preseason. As I mentioned before, Dallas has 4 pro bowlers, who earned there way on the team from performing in preseason games.

Granted, if you play 18 games...they'll have to extend rosters. But a lot of these young guys will never see the light of day. You see these guys do well in camp and then you need to see that translate to the field...these preseason games are huge for these guys.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
I still watch as many as I can.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fans dont like how goodell decided to piss around and do stupid **** like change the NFL logo, and other meaningless things when we need a CBA. He is such a tool I cant stand him.

If you dont like pre-season dont watch. Preseason is good for the coaches evaluating the players battling for back ups and special teams. You never know when you will need them.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:12 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
Apparently NOT!
Apparently I am the only one who doesn't.

What I hate about preason games is I basically watch them holding my breath, just praying that my guys don't tear ACLs for something that doesn't count anyway.

Also, I hate it when a guy does great, as great as he could possibly do, and he still gets f***ed, cut. Last year for example our rookie RB Tyrell Sutton looked like Darren Sproles to me.

But the media and the team seemed to feel it was because he was playing against non-starters, so they cut him.
That guy couldn't have done anymore to earn a job than he did.

Also, I remember Tony Romo and Miles Austin getting rave reviews from practices. People gotta remember, for every hour on the field in a practice game, they'd practiced for 10-20 hours with coaches watching.... they can tell a guy can play or not in intrasquad practices and scrimmages.

Again, I'm still bitter that Tyrell Sutton wasn't kept.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:20 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like preseason games. It gives the younger players opportunities when there really aren't that many. Having 18 regular season games is going to screw that up.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM    (permalink
LizardState
All-Pro

LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LizardState is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
He's using the fans as an excuse, but all this comes down to is it's a way to get the NFL more money.
Ladies & gentlemen we have a winnah...... nailed it.

No way in hell is the NFLPA going to sign up for more regular season games without huge salary increases b/c of the shortening of their multi-million-$ careers, the NFL pays with gamechecks you know.

Given the impasse over no CBA in place & the global economy in the toilet, this could lead to the 2nd NFL strike & lockout. I realize that's worst case, but Goddell is a greedhead bureaucrat & he's dorking up the whole league.
LizardState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

Yes...camp/practice performance matters as well...but in most cases, you want to see that carry over to the preseason games. Some guys excel during camp, but never actually put it together in live games. Cutting out two games is a killer for these type of guys.

In Austin's case...they were intrigued enough from camp alone to carry him over...but the other guys I mentioned, all had great preseason performances, in addition to great camps.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS
Old 08-06-2010, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM    (permalink
CLong4Heisman
Veteran

CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CLong4Heisman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When they do go to 18, I would like to see
1. An expansion of active rosters from 53 to maybe 65.
2. 2 bye weeks
3. An earlier start to the season so the Super Bowl is not in March
4. Guaranteed contracts like the other sports. Football is the only sport that doesn't guarantee contracts and the expanded season would result in pretty much everyone asking for more money anyway.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
It seems all the players hate the idea of 18 games. Could it be a plot like this.

NFL demands 18 games and something else(say no salary cap just hypothetically)

Players want a salary cap(hypothetically remember) but hate 18 games a lot.

Well the NFL will say, we will take away th 18 games as long as you agree to no salary cap.

I hope that this 18 game idea is just a front to get the deal worked out.
If anything, it seems like the league is piling up bargaining chips while the players chips are all going to be money.

The NFL can get this, but they have to shave off another slice of the money pie to the players. The NFL wants something else? Another slice to the players.

Give the players enough % of the money and they'll agree to anything. It's going to be about finding that balance for the owners to get as much as they want while spending only as much as they want to.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:52 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

The injury lists are going to be so huge entering the post season in this scenario.

Superbowl will be even more about who can get healthy, as opposed to who the best team is.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Mr.Regular
2008 NFL Mock Draft Champion
Veteran

Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr.Regular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay, heres an idea.
What we know:

-Most people hate how long the preseason is.
-18 games is too much for the regular season when factoring in fatigure, quality of play, meaningless games with brutal teams and clinched teams, and
injuries.
-The NFL wants to find a way to expand revenues.
-The biggest moneymaker is the TV revenue, not in stadium profits.

So, is this a viable solution?
Go 3 preseason games, expand the regular season by one week and give every team 2 byes.
That means we'd need a total of 64 byes given out through 18 weeks.
You could split that up into 11 weeks, (6 teams 10 weeks, 4 teams 1 week), say weeks 4 through 14, with everyone playing weeks 1,2,3,15,16,17,18.

We add a week of TV revenue.
We cut the presason down.
We maintain the 16 game schedule.
And, BONUS, we give the players an extra bit of rest in the season.

Mr.Regular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The casual fans hate the preseason while us hardcore fans like it. We're in the minority here.

MOTH is absolutely right. The late rounders and undrafted players need the preseason to show what they can do.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:16 PM    (permalink
scpanther22
Rookie

scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.scpanther22 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Apparently NOT!
Apparently I am the only one who doesn't.

What I hate about preason games is I basically watch them holding my breath, just praying that my guys don't tear ACLs for something that doesn't count anyway.

Also, I hate it when a guy does great, as great as he could possibly do, and he still gets f***ed, cut. Last year for example our rookie RB Tyrell Sutton looked like Darren Sproles to me.

But the media and the team seemed to feel it was because he was playing against non-starters, so they cut him.
That guy couldn't have done anymore to earn a job than he did.

Also, I remember Tony Romo and Miles Austin getting rave reviews from practices. People gotta remember, for every hour on the field in a practice game, they'd practiced for 10-20 hours with coaches watching.... they can tell a guy can play or not in intrasquad practices and scrimmages.

Again, I'm still bitter that Tyrell Sutton wasn't kept.
Now Sutton is tearing it up with the panthers.lol
scpanther22 is offline   Reply With Quote