Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks

Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks Discuss the Seahawks

Old 08-17-2010, 10:10 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default SeaThoughts

-Good to get a W in the first preseason game. Not really, but there was A LOT to like about it. The obvious place to start is Charlie Whitehurst who could be our next Matt Hasselbeck in terms of a late bloomer. He has an above-average NFL arm and if he can improve his decision-making and ability to diagnose coverages, he could turn into a very good player. The trade was all about potential, and the naysayers will still point to it being a good showing in just a preseason game, but regardless, it's good to see some promise from Clipboard Jesus.

-I wouldn't get too excited about Big Mike Williams just yet because he had only one catch which would have gone for about 10 yards instead of 51 if CB Ryan Mouton made even an attempt to touch him, let alone tackle him. He does look slimmer and faster obviously, so he's someone to track here in the upcoming games, but the 1-51-1 box score looks a lot better than it really was.

-Russell Okung looked great. His elite footwork and hands translated seamlessly in his first career NFL action. He'll be a stalwart at LT for years to come and we should all thank the Redskins for somehow letting the best LT in the draft fall to us at #6.

-Deion Branch and Julius Jones MUST be cut. It's an injustice to the fans that these two are still on the team taking reps and roster spots away from promising young talent. Branch may be able to still play a little, but to say he's worn out his welcome is an understatement. Julius Jones, besides being a veteran unlikely to make mental mistakes, is probably worse than about 100 backs in, or trying to get in the NFL. I don't even think that's an exaggeration and to think that Leon Washington or Justin Forsett will lose carries to this guy is just gut-wrenching. Someone needs to step up and do what must be done.

-Someone wrote a thread about it already, but I have to mention Kam Chancellor. He looks leaner and faster than he did at Virginia Tech and was flying around the field making big hits. The pick was a joke, but his tackling was superb. He could be starting over Lawyer Milloy by midseason if he's mentally prepared. Another youngster that looked great was Dexter Davis. I loved the pick when we made it and feel he can be a solid rotational pass rusher as early as this season. The guy was always able to wreak havoc with his athleticism and size at ASU, and he continued to show his ability to get after the QB in game one. Watch out for Davis.

-With the awkward intra-division acquisition of Kentwan Balmer, it has become absolutely clear that Coach Carroll will transition this defense to a 3-4. All the signs are there including moving Red Bryant to DE, drafting hybrid OLB Dexter Davis, all the "Elephant" talk, the aforementioned Balmer, etc. While I do acknowledge that it may be the better defense, especially in the long term, I just don't think the personnel we have now fits well at all. Our best defensive player, Brandon Mebane, has played his best football as a one-gap penetrator. He can't do what he's best at in a 3-4. I fear he'd be moved to nose tackle where the repercussions would be twofold: 1- We'd essentially lose our best player because he'd no longer be the pass-rushing 3-tech we love. 2- We'd have a somewhat undersized NT who has shown he's not the greatest at taking up blockers and stuffing the run. Mix that in with Lofa and Curry being better fits for the 4-3 and I think we have plenty of reasons to stay away from a 3-4 switch. Maybe it won't be that bad, but on paper I don't like to move to a 3-4 unless you have a big NT, and some long, athletic guys to play the 5 and rush the passer standing up.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good analysis there. I think we'll see steady improvement with young guys like Okung, Tate and Thomas. Where i see need for an upgrade is at the QB position. 2010 will probably be it for Hasselbeck and i'm not sure Charlie Whitehurts is Superbowl material. One more top of the draft selection (#10 for your UW Huskies) would seal the deal on a potentially super team going forward.
Babylon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post

-Deion Branch and Julius Jones MUST be cut. It's an injustice to the fans that these two are still on the team taking reps and roster spots away from promising young talent. Branch may be able to still play a little, but to say he's worn out his welcome is an understatement. Julius Jones, besides being a veteran unlikely to make mental mistakes, is probably worse than about 100 backs in, or trying to get in the NFL. I don't even think that's an exaggeration and to think that Leon Washington or Justin Forsett will lose carries to this guy is just gut-wrenching. Someone needs to step up and do what must be done.
I agree with you 150% on this. Deion was waaaay overrated when we signed him because Tom Brady made him the Super Bowl MVP. He never had that much to offer; at best, he's (that is, 'he was') possibly an Amani Toomer-type player. And Julius Jones just doesn't have what it takes to be a starting running back in the NFL. He's alright, but he's a guy that should be giving someone else a breather. I say they split the starts between Leon Washington and Justin Forsett and then mix in Ganther and Jones as needed. Or just cut Jones. Ganther makes me think of Earnest Graham a little.

And my feeling is that Pete Carroll is going to have his defene play to the strength of his players, not just implement a specific scheme. I think our defense this year is going to be kind of a 3-4 lite/4-3, with players like Dexter Davis, Chris Clemons, and Aaron Curry doing things like starting with their hand on the ground and dropping into coverage a lot, as well as the more common three down lineman with two more obvious rush LBs. I'd be intrigued to see if we could get Kam Chancellelor on the field to do some 4-2-5 stuff:

Davis/Clemons at right end, Mebane, Bryant... I'm just thinking of this as a write, but I'm suddenly seeming to remember seeing E.J. Wilson running with the first Defense? Say E.J at left end, Lofa and Curry backing the line, Earl Thomas and Milloy deep, and Kam at rover. Throw in the 3-4 element with the aforementioned LB/DE guys disguising their intentions and we could be running something like a 3.5-2.5-5. That'd be cool.

(EDIT: I didn't mean to compare Branch to Amani Toomer; that's gratuitous overpraise. I meant Ike Hilliard, Toomer's longtime #2.)

Last edited by Caulibflower : 08-18-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^I think you're right about the defense not exactly being a traditional 3-4. I just think Mebane plays his best football (and is a top DT in the entire league) in a standard 4-3 at the UT position. Perhaps PC and company can create a defense where Mebane can play to his strengths.

And the trade of Lawrence Jackson today is another move that screams 3-4. He wouldn't fit in anywhere...

This will be a transition year but I think we'll see a 3-4 base defense by week one of Carroll's second year.

As for Branch, there's no way to spin it - that trade was atrocious. We could have selected Roddy White with that pick. Ugh.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:34 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Just watched the first half of the Packers game. Here are my thoughts (a lot less than last time I promise)...

-Okung is the last person behind Hasselbeck that we can afford to get injured. That just ******* sucks plain and simple. I'll be extremely happy if he's in there by Week 3, but then we can expect a few weeks of growing pains AT LEFT ******* TACKLE. It just sucks. If he was able to start all four preseason games, get his feet wet and be ready for meaningful games that would have been soooooooooooo much better. ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-If Julius Jones doesn't get cut, I'm confident that Carroll and company will phase him out. Forsett and Washington are both 100 times better. You'd have to be blind to give Jones more than 10% of the carries.

-Trufant is back. The injury lingered last year and he struggled but fought hard. He's tough and talented, and will go down as an all-time great Seahawk. A Pro Bowl berth this season is possible.

-I mentioned to temper expectations for BMW in my original SeaThoughts after game one. I retract that warning. He's leaner, quicker, and looks like he actually cares (the guy has always had elite ball skills). He could take Branch (even if he's not cut) for the #2 WR job early in the season.

-Earl Thomas looks like an absolute baller. He'll contend for DROY and could get a bunch of picks because of the QBs in our division and the fact that teams will throw on us a lot.

-Dexter Davis.

-I'm not confident in our ability to generate pressure with our front four or our ability to protect our QB (who, let's be honest, has lost a little since his prime). It'll also be interesting to see what we're going to do schematically on defense, especially with so many young players. It may be a loooong season but I hope I'm wrong...
Old 08-26-2010, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

-I mentioned to temper expectations for BMW in my original SeaThoughts after game one. I retract that warning. He's leaner, quicker, and looks like he actually cares (the guy has always had elite ball skills). He could take Branch (even if he's not cut) for the #2 WR job early in the season.
I think getting to .500 would be a realistic expectation for this team; they've got quite a bit of young talent there to develop. I imagine you've heard the rumors of Housh getting cut, too... I've got a feeling that "the Mike Williams Comeback" is going to be a story that gets a lot of airtime this year.

I didn't get to see the whole game myself, but I did catch the Leon Washington Touchdown. Julius Jones simply will not run like that.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:24 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

...Earl Thomas played like a Pro-Bowler tonight. I think I liked his hit on Percy Harvin even more than his pick-6.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calubflower View Post
...Earl Thomas played like a Pro-Bowler tonight. I think I liked his hit on Percy Harvin even more than his pick-6.
Agree. The pick was a drop by the receiver actually but you have to be alert for sure. Aaron Curry is a concern for me along with the whole LB crew. On the whole the D looked good and the offense i think is going to struggle.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:04 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

He actually dropped another tipped ball that may have been a pick 6 before the 86-yard TD. But I agree - that huge hit on Harvin was amazing (as was his excitement after a few moments of being shaken up) - he's going to get Bob Sanders comparisons because of the look and size, and I think he'll be similar in some ways, but maybe more of a ballhawk and not as gifted a run defender. But the dude can tackle, make no mistake.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Housh dropped, Julius Jones dropped....

I took a flyer on Mike Williams for my fantasy team.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:45 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Both those were really bad moves. yours was good though, he should be good fantasy wise this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:06 AM    (permalink
Cicero
Veteran

Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cicero is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jballa838 View Post
Both those were really bad moves. yours was good though, he should be good fantasy wise this year.
Wait, did you just say getting rid of Julius Jones was a bad move?!
Old 09-06-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
Wait, did you just say getting rid of Julius Jones was a bad move?!
no!!! Initially signing both were really bad moves!!!

Quote:
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
no!!! Initially signing both were really bad moves!!!
Sounds like a revolving door on that offensive line too with Vallos and Wrotto leaving.

You didnt tell me how you enjoyed (or didnt enjoy) the game up in Provo. Were the Dawgs as bad as they sounded on the radio?
Old 09-06-2010, 03:00 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

o my gosh. I wanted to kill everyone. It was so frustrating. They just couldn't score and our entire section just kinda sat there in awe.

Quote:

Old 09-06-2010, 03:44 PM    (permalink
summond822
Veteran

summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.summond822 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
o my gosh. I wanted to kill everyone. It was so frustrating. They just couldn't score and our entire section just kinda sat there in awe.
I wanted to kill Locker and the entire defense...

I don't think I saw Locker look off the defense once. I mean Jake Heaps was looking off the defense. It was so frustrating...

University of Washington Huskies: 7-6
summond822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by summond822 View Post
I wanted to kill Locker and the entire defense...

I don't think I saw Locker look off the defense once. I mean Jake Heaps was looking off the defense. It was so frustrating...
he stared down Kearse on every fade route.

Quote:

Old 09-06-2010, 04:12 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
he stared down Kearse on every fade route.
Kearse was terrible, bad routes we have come to expect but all the drops...... Not one player on that team, except maybe Mason Foster, played up to their ability. Obviously we are going to have to sit through another year of the worst special teams in the country.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Kearse was terrible, bad routes we have come to expect but all the drops...... Not one player on that team, except maybe Mason Foster, played up to their ability. Obviously we are going to have to sit through another year of the worst special teams in the country.
brightside: 12 true freshman were played on specials and that was good. lets move this to the UW Thread.

Quote:

Old 09-06-2010, 06:18 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He actually dropped another tipped ball that may have been a pick 6 before the 86-yard TD. But I agree - that huge hit on Harvin was amazing (as was his excitement after a few moments of being shaken up) - he's going to get Bob Sanders comparisons because of the look and size, and I think he'll be similar in some ways, but maybe more of a ballhawk and not as gifted a run defender. But the dude can tackle, make no mistake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwyHu9dHUxM

YEEEEEEEEEAH!!! HOW'S YOUR HEAD, PERCY!?! DOES IT HURT?!?

I'd certainly be happy with a free safety, ballhawking version of Bob Sanders. Which, hopefully, would mean he plays full seasons instead of being a career cameo player.

Last edited by Caulibflower : 09-06-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:36 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

I liked watching the Defense get to the ball. Frank Gore's wishing it was last year.

And Mike Williams was my highest-scoring fantasy receiver (yes, I started him week 1), which is terrible for me, but great for the Seahawks and Mike Williams.