Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Yes! Another Computer Help Thread!

So I could have brought up an old random thread, but I'm too lazy to search for one.

So I'm pretty sure my computer is ******. I've run all kinds of adware scanners and crap, but nothing comes up and my computer is still ******** the bed. Here's my problem:

I have Firefox. Anytime I go to download something or save a picture, it freezes. I looked it up, and it was suggested to delete something called like "download.rdf" or something that keeps track of your downloads because it may be corrupt. I did that and it's still freezing. Also, I can't open IE at all without it freezing, and my AIM will randomly freeze.

I know this is probably not the most descriptive of problems, but I have no idea what to do. I'm just assuming some adware or virus is on here, but just wanted to know if anyone here could know wtf is going on? I'd love you all forever if you can help. :)

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:14 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do what i just did...system recovery that *****. I couldnt find a problem with mine either, but there was def. something wrong. I just wiped it clean. Sucks if you have a bunch of media or whatever...re-installing/downloading can be a *****. I just e-mailed everything to myself and did full system recovery. Not looking forward to recovering everything...but my cpu is flying right now.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:17 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Do what i just did...system recovery that *****. I couldnt find a problem with mine either, but there was def. something wrong. I just wiped it clean. Sucks if you have a bunch of media or whatever...re-installing/downloading can be a *****. I just e-mailed everything to myself and did full system recovery. Not looking forward to recovering everything...but my cpu is flying right now.
Yea, I kinda figure that's what will have to happen. Good news is that I was planning to buy a new computer anyway, and wipe this one and just keep it. But I haven't decided what new computer I want, and yea I don't have a lot on here but I'd have to go through everything to decide what I want.

It's not a huge inconvenience as I can still use my computer for most ****, I just can't download and have to copy pictures and paste in paint instead of saving haha.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-18-2010, 08:26 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just restored me computer this week, took forever but it's running like new.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:22 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does IE run fine?

Have you tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it? You can export all your bookmarks to make this less painful?

Have you downloaded any new drivers for anything? If it is hard freezing(ie you can't use Alt+Ctrl+Delete) then it is most likely hardware interaction problems rather than purely software.

It could be a virus or spyware also but you can google the solutions to that.

Outside that, system restore is a solid option if you can't find the solution.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:46 AM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

buy an Alienware
Old 08-19-2010, 07:12 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

HijackThis!

Damix's solution for everything
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 07:54 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Does IE run fine?

Have you tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it? You can export all your bookmarks to make this less painful?

Have you downloaded any new drivers for anything? If it is hard freezing(ie you can't use Alt+Ctrl+Delete) then it is most likely hardware interaction problems rather than purely software.

It could be a virus or spyware also but you can google the solutions to that.

Outside that, system restore is a solid option if you can't find the solution.
That was my first guess. Hard to know for sure since OP can't tell us every detail easily. Iowatreat can you offload your files to a portable hard drive or DVDs? You should probably format/reinstall or system restore before buying a new PC, you might find your old PC is good enough once you start fresh. It is a pain, I know.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:36 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Windows Update is your friend. System restore/format is last resort, imo.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I didn't know what type of details to give at first.

When I open IE, it's "loading" and then freezes.

I can do CTRL+ALT+DEL to close the frozen programs, then reopen Firefox and AIM work fine until I try to DL or save something.

I've googled this problem, and best I can find was like I said about download history being corrupt. I always clear my downloads and as several sites suggested, I deleted the file that tracks my download history. Still have the problem.

I haven't uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled it, which I will try before system restore. But would that solve why IE doesn't open at all and AIM randomly freezes?

As for buying a new computer. The one I have is a Dell laptop I bought prior to college in 2005. The battery is completely dead and useless, so it has to be plugged in at all times. The corners of the screen are starting to fade. It's still very usable, especially after I wipe it clean (I've done a couple times and it does make it better). I've just had too many problems with it, especially with my battery (had to have the motherboard replaced, had to have the connection between the power cable to the motherboard to the battery replaced, and had to buy a new power cable already). Plus, my warranty was up a couple years ago and Dell refuses to help if your warranty is up. And by refuses to help, I mean refuses to answer any questions and tells me I have to pay. So, I'm exploring the possibility of a new computer.

Later when I'm home from work I'm going to try and uninstall Firefox, Aim, and IE, and then reisntall. If that works, I'll let everyone know since I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats with anticipation. :)

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 08-19-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uninstalling IE is not as easy as it sounds.

Computers are cheap. If yours is in that bad of shape even without the freezes and such then a new one is probably a good move.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:51 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Uninstalling IE is not as easy as it sounds.

Computers are cheap. If yours is in that bad of shape even without the freezes and such then a new one is probably a good move.
Well, I never use IE so it wouldn't really be a big loss. Unless the problem for all 3 is linked to one another. But I'll see what I can do.

And yea, that's why I figured rather than dealing with buying a new battery, not having a warranty, having to restore it every yearish, that I can probably just get a new computer for not that much and be happier.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Buy a mac. ;)

After I stopped using windows computers I never had a problem like that. Only problem on my mac is when it comes to handling .gif and such. Back when I used PCs the only thing that helped me in these situations was format c:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM    (permalink
JeffSamardzijaIRISH
Pro Bowler

JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JeffSamardzijaIRISH is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm looking to buy a new desktop and have a 1000$ budget. I want a gaming computer that will last a while. Anyone know what I should get?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:48 PM    (permalink
jayceheathman
All-Pro

jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jayceheathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
I'm looking to buy a new desktop and have a 1000$ budget. I want a gaming computer that will last a while. Anyone know what I should get?
There is the Dell Alienware Aurora that is $999 that is supposedly a good gaming computer.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:46 AM    (permalink
FuzzyGopher
Pro Bowler

FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FuzzyGopher is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My professor posted an outline on blackboard and it's for a lecture I missed and I really need to access it. When I try to load the file in word it just shows a bunch of random characters. The file type is just called "file". Does anyone know how I can open it?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Check with the professor.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayceheathman View Post
buy an Alienware
overpriced. build your own.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:40 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffSamardzijaIRISH View Post
Anything with an i7 and at least an nvidia GTX 275 should last awhile. Hardware requirements haven't been changing very rapidly. I've been running my E8400 processor (Core2) for over three years and run everything at the highest quality with ease.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My professor posted an outline on blackboard and it's for a lecture I missed and I really need to access it. When I try to load the file in word it just shows a bunch of random characters. The file type is just called "file". Does anyone know how I can open it?
I know that my lectures have all been in either powerpoint or pdf format. Just change the extension and try .ppt or .pdf for starters, otherwise just open with different programs, try notepad but that will probably give you the same as Word did. I'd certainly start with Powerpoint and Acrobat though as those are by far the most likely. Could also be .html plausibly.

Quote:
Build it yourself, there are plenty of sites that suggest good builds, put the parts together, price save online and then build it. Building a computer is just lego for adults.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM    (permalink
vikes_28
Resident Ginger
All-Pro

vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vikes_28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
overpriced. build your own.
Unless he's looking at a laptop.

If not, then I would always go with building your own computer. You can build a computer better than the best one on the market right now for about that price.

sig by fenikz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
You are just a terrible person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
I have an iPhone.
vikes_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:11 AM    (permalink
eaglesalltheway
All-NFLDC

eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.eaglesalltheway is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Minor issue, hoping one of you could help out. I dowloaded Frostwire a while ago to my home computer, and it was on mine and my sister's profile, but now its not on mine and is on hers. I've tried going into my control panel and adding it back, but it won't even give me the option to. I've tried downloading it again, but for some reason it won't let me do that either. The only thing I can think of is uninstalling it and downloading it and re-installing it again. Is there anything else I could do that'd be easier or faster?

Rest in Peace, themaninblack
eaglesalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Every time I turn on my laptop, it goes to a black screen that says:
"Disc Read Error. Press Alt-Ctrl-Delete to restart"
I restart, and the black screen comes back on.

... Help

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

It's not recognizing your hdd. Tough to say what the actual problem is.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:10 AM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Damn. The wife says that the laptop started freezing a lot.
She then restarted it, but then as soon as Windows started up, it froze (essentially)
No icons would come up and the screen stayed that Windows background blue.
Then she was stuck on that screen, couldn't do anything then she removed the battery.
She re-attached the battery about a half hour later and then that's when the black screen "disc read error" came up

Not sure if that narrows it down but it's worth a shot

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote