Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I lost $100 on that ***** idiot staying in school for that last year.
I said there was no way anyone with a half-brain would bypass a sure-fire chance to be the NFL's #1-overall pick, and play with a QB-tradition rich franchise like the 49ers. Fool chose to stay in school and lost a ton because of it.

I guess I under-estimated the power of the USC p**sy. Hard to walk away early from that I guess. Still, big mistake Matty.
Me and a buddy of mine were talking about this earlier. He still could have gotten it. He would be in Cali, and just get that USC nana as an alumni.

Plus, he'd have like 30 mill guaranteed to his name. He'd get even more probably bc of that.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Speaking of that, can ANYONE explain that 2007 season? I mean that was on the Browns for God's sake.

Has anyone had a year that good at QB on a team that bad?

He has to have something to do that, even for just one year.
I think there was a lot of luck involved. Iirc, his completion % was still pretty terrible (like 55 or maybe even worse.) He just got the right mix of protection and production from his receivers to succeed.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:35 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Browns weren't all that bad that season. They had a very solid oline anchored by Thomas and Steinbach, they had legitimate weapons in Edwards and Winslow, and they had a stout running game in Jamal Lewis, who went for 1300 yards that year.

The defense, however, was a mess and its the reason they lost so many damn games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:36 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I lost $100 on that ***** idiot staying in school for that last year.
I said there was no way anyone with a half-brain would bypass a sure-fire chance to be the NFL's #1-overall pick, and play with a QB-tradition rich franchise like the 49ers. Fool chose to stay in school and lost a ton because of it.

I guess I under-estimated the power of the USC p**sy. Hard to walk away early from that I guess. Still, big mistake Matty.
Which makes him even more of an idiot, because he got one of the USC Women's bball players pregnant during that senior year. So half of his earnings are automatically going to her.

So that's $15 million in bonus money he lost from going 9 picks lower, plus half of whatever he did receive going to his baby-mama. That's an expensive senior year in college. Hope it was worth it hahahahahaha.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:40 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hahaha, i forgot about that.

Hey Matt, how does it feel to know that while your kid is playing with his legos in the living room, that girl you knocked up is swallowing someone else's **** in the bedroom with the AC is on, which you're paying for btw.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:56 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Which makes him even more of an idiot, because he got one of the USC Women's bball players pregnant during that senior year. So half of his earnings are automatically going to her.

So that's $15 million in bonus money he lost from going 9 picks lower, plus half of whatever he did receive going to his baby-mama. That's an expensive senior year in college. Hope it was worth it hahahahahaha.
They're married?
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
They're married?
I think he meant child support, though half seems to be a lot for that. Unless it's different in Cali.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
They're married?
No, they're not married, but I'm pretty sure child support payments for California are close to half of your salary.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If that's the case how did Antonio Cromartie stay afloat?!

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:04 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
If that's the case how did Antonio Cromartie stay afloat?!
The Jets had to front him some of his money in order to make back-logged child support payments.

Also, Cromartie on Hard Knocks was one of the best unintentional comedy moments in the history of television.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:07 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHungryWalrus View Post
The problem is, though, that we pretty much KNOW Anderson won't get anything done. He's done. At least with Leinart it's just pretty doubtful he'll be any good. There's the CHANCE of non suckage.
I agree completely; after all, Scott Wright ranked Matt Leinart number 1 QB in the 2006 draft (#4 player overall)... it isn't his fault that so many teams passed on him in the draft, he should have gone to the Titans as the first QB chosen that year; just like Jimmy Clausen should have gone higher in this years draft... why don't these stupid NFL GMs listen to Scott Wright?

But anyways, Matt Leinart is considered an 'A' potential guy, whereas Derek Anderson is maybe 'B' or 'C' potential so you'd really have to be stupid to go with a guy who you know is going to cap out at 70 or 80 something overall.

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Where do people get this elite potential with Leinart? He's got an average at best arm, has never had to carry a team, and despite years in the Cardinals system, ended up benched. His best shot would to be a game manager in a WCO somewhere else.

If anything, I'd say Anderson has the better potential. Bigger arm, bigger body, and, despite it being very flukey, made a pro bowl.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Speaking of that, can ANYONE explain that 2007 season? I mean that was on the Browns for God's sake.

Has anyone had a year that good at QB on a team that bad?

He has to have something to do that, even for just one year.
We had Winslow (career year) Edwards (career year) Jurevicius a nice back-up tight end in Heiden a great left side of the offensive line and Jamal Lewis played great that year.

Back on topic, Anderson had amazing receiving play in 2007 and absolutely ******* pathetic in 2008 and 2009.

I believe he could succeed in Arizona's offense with Fitz/Breaston/Doucet and was excited to see him go there.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:13 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, they're not married, but I'm pretty sure child support payments for California are close to half of your salary.
Don't tell my ex that (or the judge). I pay $600 per month for my son. If you're a high earner, it's roughly 10-12% of your monthly net depending on how much of a deadbeat you are and how good your lawyer is.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:14 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
Where do people get this elite potential with Leinart? He's got an average at best arm, has never had to carry a team, and despite years in the Cardinals system, ended up benched. His best shot would to be a game manager in a WCO somewhere else.

If anything, I'd say Anderson has the better potential. Bigger arm, bigger body, and, despite it being very flukey, made a pro bowl.
But Leinart played in a pro style offense in college. Didn't you know that's the end-all, be-all indicator for NFL success?
Old 08-30-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
We had Winslow (career year) Edwards (career year) Jurevicius a nice back-up tight end in Heiden a great left side of the offensive line and Jamal Lewis played great that year.
This goes to what I said earlier in that he got super, super, super lucky. If they had a defense that year...who knows how far they could have gone.

When everyone around him stopped performing/got hurt/got old in subsequent years, he crashed back down to Earth and then some.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:16 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Don't tell my ex that (or the judge). I pay $600 per month for my son. If you're a high earner, it's roughly 10-12% of your monthly net depending on how much of a deadbeat you are and how good your lawyer is.
Ah, gotcha. I don't know much about family law other than California has pretty much set up their system to **** the male over in as many ways as they possibly can, so I figured the percentage was much higher than that.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

God damned kids are expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:18 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
But Leinart played in a pro style offense in college. Didn't you know that's the end-all, be-all indicator for NFL success?
I'll be the first to tell you that I'd prefer my QB to come out of a pro-style rather than the spread, but it's far from fool-proof. Plenty of pro-style college QBs have failed too.

My theories conflict over Leinart though. He's out of a pro-style...but he had elite talent around him and played in a super weak conference. (Dose of reality Pac-10 fans....particularly defensively.) Those last 2 are things I definitely don't like to see out of a QB prospect.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ah, gotcha. I don't know much about family law other than California has pretty much set up their system to **** the male over in as many ways as they possibly can, so I figured the percentage was much higher than that.
It does suck for the little guy because even if you're only making enough to stay afloat (lets say 3k a month) you're still going to be paying probably at least 600 a month, maybe more. That's a big chunk of your income. But for a millionaire like Leinart who can afford good lawyers, it's probably not too big of an issue for 1 child.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This goes to what I said earlier in that he got super, super, super lucky. If they had a defense that year...who knows how far they could have gone.

When everyone around him stopped performing/got hurt/got old in subsequent years, he crashed back down to Earth and then some.
Yeah I also think a ton of frustration started to set in. Our offensive game plan/coordinater Chudzinski got figured out in 2008 and he looked to be way in over his head, we then switched to a new offense in 2009. Everyone here hated him pretty much and wanted Quinn.

Receivers, runningbacks etc. dropped passes at alarming rates and Anderson just wasn't nearly the form he was in 2007.

I'm probably the only person who feels like he can get back to being a decent starter in this league but I've always felt that he was a guy that needs a top tier play maker and he definitely has that and then some in Arizona.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I'll be the first to tell you that I'd prefer my QB to come out of a pro-style rather than the spread, but it's far from fool-proof. Plenty of pro-style college QBs have failed too.

My theories conflict over Leinart though. He's out of a pro-style...but he had elite talent around him and played in a super weak conference. (Dose of reality Pac-10 fans....particularly defensively.) Those last 2 are things I definitely don't like to see out of a QB prospect.
How do you explain Aaron Rodgers then? He sliced up the same "weak" defenses. In fact, how do you explain any QB that was successful that didn't come from the ACC, SEC or Big 10 (conferences known for their strength on defense). The elite talent part I can buy, but it's hard to argue the Pac 10 when they've historically produced the best/most NFL QB's, and I dont' think it's that close either.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

When I'm evaluating a quarterback (and by evaluating I mean reading the reports of what other scouts have said, and then subtly passing that information off as my own) I look for the type of offense they ran, their height, the talent around them, and what conference they played in first, then I look for the minor things like the fear in their eyes when all their checkdown targets are covered.

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert pancake gallery View Post
When I'm evaluating a quarterback (and by evaluating I mean reading the reports of what other scouts have said, and then subtly passing that information off as my own) I look for the type of offense they ran, their height, the talent around them, and what conference they played in first, then I look for the minor things like the fear in their eyes when all their checkdown targets are covered.
That's probably the most overrated aspect of scouting QBs.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:26 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinslowBodden View Post
Yeah I also think a ton of frustration started to set in. Our offensive game plan/coordinater Chudzinski got figured out in 2008 and he looked to be way in over his head, we then switched to a new offense in 2009. Everyone here hated him pretty much and wanted Quinn.

Receivers, runningbacks etc. dropped passes at alarming rates and Anderson just wasn't nearly the form he was in 2007.

I'm probably the only person who feels like he can get back to being a decent starter in this league but I've always felt that he was a guy that needs a top tier play maker and he definitely has that and then some in Arizona.
Something I remember people pointing to, even during that year, was how inaccurate he was. He only completed something like 55% of his passes and still threw 19 picks iirc. When the team around him broke down, he wasn't good enough to carry them.

I like his odds better as a starter in Arizona than I do Leinart for this year though. They have some excellent receivers and 2 running backs I like. I think he could fling the ball around and make something happen more than Leinart. The o-line isn't very good though.....