Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT Bronco Fan View Post
Shannon Sharpe is the best TE to ever play this game period.

People saying Tony G are too young to have seen Sharpe play.
Tony G has more receiving yards, receptions, touchdowns and has the most receptions for a TE in a single season, so how exactly is Sharpe better?

Not to mention that for many years, Tony got it done with much less talent around him.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does any other TE even come close to Gonzo's 82 career TDs? I believe his number of TD catches pretty much dwarfs any other TE ever.

Let me go ahead and cut this comeback off ahead of time:

"but, but Halsey, touchdowns are just a stat! They don't mean anything!"

Really? Touchdowns are just a stat? I'm pretty sure that's an offenses goal whenever they're on the field.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Does any other TE even come close to Gonzo's 82 career TDs? I believe his number of TD catches pretty much dwarfs any other TE ever.

Let me go ahead and cut this comeback off ahead of time:

"but, but Halsey, touchdowns are just a stat! They don't mean anything!"

Really? Touchdowns are just a stat? I'm pretty sure that's an offenses goal whenever they're on the field.
Touchdowns are just a stat

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:14 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tell him, Halsey!

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gonzalez's touchdowns won't mean as much when Gates shatters his record in four fewer seasons.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gates is at 59. Tony is at 82. Both are still playing. Gates has a ways to go.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:22 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's got to be Tony G until further notice. Obviously this depends on the longevity of Antonio Gates' career & Dallas Clark's as well. I don't remember Gonzalez having too many elite QBs throwing him the ball as was the case for guys like Sharpe (Elway), Gates (Rivers), and Clark (Manning.) The do-it-all Tight End was the best player at the position during what I'd consider my generation to be.

There should be an asterisk next to every name & the thread title just out of respect for the great Jermaine Gresham.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Gates was the most dominant, Gonzalez was the most consistently great. Tie.

I think I'd agree with this.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:49 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
JerMichael Finley is clearly the answer
Please don't start this.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:02 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's not my fault his name is mentioned next to two far-superior players in Manning & Elway. The past two seasons, though, it's tough to argue against Rivers' production (62:20). He's been damn near elite. Right now I'd rank him fifth among active QBs though with Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers all better players in my opinion. The point is, Trent Green, Elvis Grbac, and Damon Huard were no Philip Rivers. We're talking about a top five NFL Quarterback in Rivers, not an All-Pro and certainly not a legend.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 11:17 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

probably kellen winslow jr. or darnell dinkins

in all seriousness, gonzalez.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:33 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Gates is at 59. Tony is at 82. Both are still playing. Gates has a ways to go.

Tony has said this is his last year. If he matches his TD count from a year ago he will have 88 touchdowns in 15 seasons. Gates will be at 67 touchdowns in eight seasons. He would break that in three normal seasons for him and he wouldn't even be 34 by then. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion, minus injuries.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:35 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

By the way: Clark and Witten have no chance to be the greatest of this era, or make the Hall of Fame. Clark is too injury prone and his production has only come on as of late. Witten just doesn't have the numbers and the Cowboys have shifted the offense to the WR in recent years. That is what sets Gonzalez and Gates apart, they were the primary passing weapon their entire careers. That cannot be said of anyone else mentioned on this list.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:45 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Tony has said this is his last year. If he matches his TD count from a year ago he will have 88 touchdowns in 15 seasons. Gates will be at 67 touchdowns in eight seasons. He would break that in three normal seasons for him and he wouldn't even be 34 by then. It is pretty much a foregone conclusion, minus injuries.
Tony is on record saying that there is a 50-50 chance he'll play after 2010, not 0%, unless he said it somewhere and I completely missed it.

And I'm not saying that Gates will never pass Tony, I'm saying he has a long way to go, which he does. And you're banking on Gates having at least 8 tds a year for the next three years?

Old 08-30-2010, 12:46 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Considering he is at 8-straight, uh yeah. ************* consistency!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:47 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Considering he is at 8-straight, uh yeah. ************* consistency!
You just jinxed it! Injury bug, injury bug! Drop him from your fantasy leagues guys!

Old 08-30-2010, 12:49 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

It's okay, I got FINLEYZZZZ.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:09 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the golden age of receiving TEs. Never before have there been so many pass catching threats at the TE position, and in many cases they are among the best athletes on the field.

Gonzalez/Sharpe/Gates are 10s in my book, but there a heck of a lot of 9.9s. 9.8s. 9.5s, etc.

Guys who are just friggin superstars at the position IMO.

Put it this way; if a team w/ the best LB has to match him up against the best TE, that TE will EAT HIS LUNCH ALL DAY LONG.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 08-30-2010 at 01:11 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:14 AM    (permalink
steelersfan43
Pro Bowler

steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.steelersfan43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tony G by the stats clearly, and hes played for the chiefs soooo that hindered him alot.
steelersfan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:57 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gonzo! And he is one of the nicest guys too!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cant go wrong with Sharpe or Gonzo.
I would have loved to seen Sharpe in this Colts offense like Clark is used.

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Tony Goat.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:42 AM    (permalink
FloridaSkinzFan
Rookie

FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FloridaSkinzFan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chris Cooooooooleeeyyy
FloridaSkinzFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:58 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Either Gates or Tony G make sense to me

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:33 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
If Gates had played football his whole career I would go with him but because he did not Tony G is the correct answer
What, you can't hold his college career against him, if anything it's in his favor.

Anyway I think #s wise Gates is going to top everybody. He's not even 30 and is BFF with his quarterback. Gonzalez is clearly the answer right now, but in 7 more seasons he's about 20 career TDs ahead of Antonio. That's not a lot.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote