Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Developmental League?

I heard/saw/read someone say that one of the side effects from getting rid of 2 pre-season games and going to an 18-game schedule could be a developmental league.

How would that work?

My initial thought would be 8 teams, one for each NFL division, and each team can have 10 players designated to the DL team. Put the teams in cities that can't quite support an NFL team like Oklahoma City, Portland, Salt Lake City, Omaha, etc.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:27 PM    (permalink
SeanTaylorRIP
Ghettosermon
Legend

SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SeanTaylorRIP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it would be a good guy. Lets you keep extra guys who you could monitor and call up if you need bodies. With that said say the Cards lose Fitz to an injury I highly doubt they would sign one of these "D-league guys." They'd rather sign an NFL vet who is sitting at home. The thing about this D-league idea is that all of these players will be like undrafted rookie types. No way a vet pays for these teams, they'd rather sit at home and hope for a phone call.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966
SeanTaylorRIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Tom Haverford
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All this hoopla about "we need more time to evaluate the fringe guys!!1111" can easily be solved.

All you have to do is make the rosters bigger, or don't allow teams to sign players off each other's practice squad.

Allow for practice squad trades though. Done and done.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 PM    (permalink
Halsey
All-Pro

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eventually I wonder if there will be a true official NFL minor league with teams in non-NFL cities. Maybe the UFL will eventually evolve into that. As of right now the CFL and UFL function as Developmental leagues.

^What I just did to your argument
Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 PM    (permalink
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
Pro Bowler

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
My initial thought would be 8 teams, one for each NFL division, and each team can have 10 players designated to the DL team. Put the teams in cities that can't quite support an NFL team like Oklahoma City, Portland, Salt Lake City, Omaha, etc.
So they should put a DL team in Jacksonville? ;)

I like the idea, it could work.

Thanks to Bone Krusher for the sig
devinhester=R.O.Y 2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:17 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think the UFL would be smart to make this move. I also think it's incredibly important that there be a pro alternative to college for the kids who want to get paid and we can stop pretending they are students.

It was very dissapointing to lose NFLE and it provided a number of good players for the NFL. Some kind of developmental league would be very beneficial for the product on the field
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:10 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The UFL wants to compete with the NFL. While it might be smart right now, it will definitely quell any hope of being better.

They could be HUGE in 2011 if there is a work stoppage. They should probably try to play 2 seasons in 2011 (kidding).
Old 08-30-2010, 11:18 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Eventually I wonder if there will be a true official NFL minor league with teams in non-NFL cities. Maybe the UFL will eventually evolve into that. As of right now the CFL and UFL function as Developmental leagues.
I don't think the CFL is a developmental league. It's pretty much stand alone. There are a lot of differences in the rulebook, enough that transtitioning from one league to another can be a real chore. Things like much bigger field, one more player per side, the 1-yard rule at the LOS, all kinds of motion before the snap, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:29 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I really don't think a developmental league makes any sense financially. It would cost to much for an organization to field a team that may have a handful of players make the roster for the NFL.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
I really don't think a developmental league makes any sense financially. It would cost to much for an organization to field a team that may have a handful of players make the roster for the NFL.
Yeah, because football isn't the highest grossing sport right now. I'd rather go to an NFDL than an NBA or MLB game, especially if they had a team in Raleigh.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a developmental league would be a Godsend for quarterbacks. There are so many quarterbacks that just need snaps to develop into good players and NFL teams just don't have the ability to do that.

And the league could definitely use more quality quarterbacks.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:22 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
It was very dissapointing to lose NFLE and it provided a number of good players for the NFL. Some kind of developmental league would be very beneficial for the product on the field
I agree there was a bunch of players who developed in NFLE into solid contributers in the NFL. I think that if NFL teams had the option of still having NFLE they would take it. Its a nice separate place where some of the younger guys who couldn't make rosters immediately in the NFL can develop.

Quote:
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 AM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After poking around on wikipedia here are some players that played in NFLE:
  • Kurt Warner
  • Adam Vinatieri
  • Jake Delhomme
  • James Harrison
  • Brendon Ayanbadejo
  • Fred Jackson
  • Damon Huard
  • Paul Spicer
  • Jon Kitna
  • Brian Finneran
  • David Akers
  • J.T. O'Sullivan

Im sure theres more players also.

Quote:
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

La'Roi Glover was an NFLE guy.

If there was an NFL sanctioned developmental league, we could have teams quarterbacked by the likes of Colt McCoy, Jimmy Clausen, Stephen McGee, Dennis Dixon, Joe Webb, and even Tim Tebow if the Broncos wanted.