Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx
Default Vernon Gholston

I couldv'e just put this in the Jets thread, but I wanted a bigger discussion. Is he just a bust now? Just another way the OSU program sucks ass lol? I haven't followed him or the jets at all so can someone fill me in?
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:19 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:21 AM    (permalink
xxxxxxxx
Veteran

xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

At his size he's an end?..
xxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:25 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
He's been a bust for a while. Huge disappointment. A very small minority think he would do better in a 4-3 with his hand in the ground.
I for one would like to at least see him try it before I give up on him completely, that said it's hard not to throw out the B-word.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:26 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
Rex Ryan loves him at least, he is now a 3-4 end instead of OLB.
Not really. He's just trying to get something out of the teams investment.

For what it's worth, he actually has been playing decently this preseason and training camp. Not like a 1st rounder or anything, but like someone who would at least make the team as depth, instead of just being handed a spot because he was a first rounder.

I don't expect much out of him. Definitely a bust as a first round pick. We could have gotten average D-line help in the 5th, so I'm saying he would have been an ok 5th rounder.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:55 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Greg Hardy keeps up his preseason performance the rest of the season he will be the anti-Gholston.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-02-2010, 09:59 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
I didn't even notice him playing in preseason.
well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sp...ll/29jets.html

also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaarat316 View Post
I'm sure Rex Ryan has tried it. This guy is a coach who really puts his defensive players in positions to make plays and helps them play to their ability. If Rex Ryan can't get anything out of you, well you are a bust.
I like strong, concise, clear statements like that.
How is Gholston big enough to play DE now? Has he bulked up a lot?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:43 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cue the guy who insist he needs to go to NO to play DE and become a pro bowler.

I really don't think any defense will make a difference, he just sucks and isn't very physical at all as well as being extremely stiff. I remember all the Orakpo-Gholston comparisons last off-season because they both had big muscles and were athletic freaks, made sense to alot of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM    (permalink
AntoinCD
All-Pro

AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AntoinCD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player

BoneKrusher killing it with the sig
AntoinCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:56 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntoinCD View Post
He just strikes me as a guy without the necessary desire to be great. Rex Ryan had an offensive lineman start a fight with him to at least get some reaction from him and get the fire burning. That really shouldn't be necessary. The guy has tons of talent but I just don't see him even becoming a contributing role player
I agree it shouldn't be necessary. If it works it will only work for a short period of time before he goes back to being complacent. I liked Gholston a lot at OSU so I want to see him succeed. But two seasons of poor or no production makes it hard to believe any of these reports about how this year is different. Didn't the Jets say the same stuff last year?

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
well then you havent been watching the games or Hard Knocks. hes had his best preseason so far and hes back to playing his natural position. i believe he had 5 tackles against the panthers. anyways this is a good read about it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/29/sp...ll/29jets.html

also he volunteered to take a paycut this offseason so he could have another shot with the team. he seems like a good guy who is just really struggling to adjust
I watched the Jets/Skins preseason game, and I don't recall his name being called once.

Didn't Gholston start playing organized football as a junior or senior in HS??
His football IQ may not have been high enough for him to make the jump to the NFL.
4 or 5 years of organized football, including college, then to be drafted by the Jets as a high first rounder in a scheme you've never played, and really aren't that suited for to excel in, has gotta be difficult.

Still, I think Gholston may have some type of emotional or psychological issues holding him back on the football field.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:29 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Cue the guy who insist he needs to go to NO to play DE and become a pro bowler.
Was that the same guy who insisted that Gholston was a better prospect than Mario Williams?
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:32 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
I like strong, concise, clear statements like that.
How is Gholston big enough to play DE now? Has he bulked up a lot?
is it possible for him to bulk up any more? The guy looks like muscles are about to explode out of his body.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
At his size he's an end?..
Yeah, he is now playing end in the 3-4 and he is pretty undersized but he's been making a lot of progress. He's finally getting after the QB which is nice to see.

As far as the "bust" label is concerned, he is a bust at this point. I don't think he'll ever live up to a #6 pick but he has a chance to be a solid player.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Gholston has actually looked pretty good in the PS so far. He is playing with motor, and with power. He's pushing back the line whenever he rushes.

Im not saying he's finally turning it around, but it does seem like he's moving in the right direction at least. I'd like to see him as a full time End in a 4-3.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is the ultimate workout warrior. He rose, not based on what he did in college, but on his amazing combine and triangle numbers. The guy was a phantom at Ohio State when they got passed their non-conference cupcakes. He is a phantom in the NFL. But man were his biceps huge! Man could he run a 4.5.

Last edited by Shiver : 09-02-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
If Greg Hardy keeps up his preseason performance the rest of the season he will be the anti-Gholston.
That's what I'm talking about.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Im kind of upset we didn't go after Geno Atkins and Greg Hardy. I loved Geno, and I used to have a mancrush on Hardy, and when I saw him available in the 6th i was like ****, let's get him.

2 guys who are going to be major steals for their teams.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How has George Selvie looked? Him and Greg Hardy both fell very low and both were being mocked into the 1st round for a long time, I figured both end up being a steal, but let's see how some perform in the regular season.

Atkins is more then likely a future pro bowler, it just made no sense he wasn't drafted higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
How has George Selvie looked? Him and Greg Hardy both fell very low and both were being mocked into the 1st round for a long time, I figured both end up being a steal, but let's see how some perform in the regular season.

Atkins is more then likely a future pro bowler, it just made no sense he wasn't drafted higher.
Aaaah, i wanted Atkins so bad. That one hurts.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:20 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:

I haven't watched any Rams preseason but a quick google says he looked good in scrimmages but has a leg injury that kept him out of at least one preseason game vs. the Pats.

I agree about Atkins, I really wanted the Colts to grab him. Him or Lamarr Houston. Or Brian Price. Damn what a DT class.

i done stole dis sig