Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be voted as the MVP for this 2010 season
Chris Johnson 6 8.11%
Adrian Peterson 2 2.70%
Peyton Manning 10 13.51%
Drew Brees 7 9.46%
Aaron Rodgers 32 43.24%
Tom Brady 8 10.81%
Brett Favre 0 0%
Philip Rivers 4 5.41%
Tony Romo 2 2.70%
Other- name him 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 09:45 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2010 NFL MVP, who will win it this season?

Vote for your PREDICTION, with your brain not your heart if possible.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/102026863.html
Gruden was asked to name five players who could win NFL most valuable player honors this season.

Gruden said the choice of the winner will have much to do with the success of his team, and his choices skewed to players on teams that are expected to make some noise.

Gruden picked a running back and then four quarterbacks: Tennessee running back Chris Johnson, Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, Green Bay's Aaron Rodgers, New Orleans' Drew Brees and Dallas' Tony Romo.

Since 1957, The Associated Press most valuable player award (or most outstanding player award as it was called from 1957-'60), has been won by a quarterback 35 times and by a running back 17 times. Two years, 1997 (Brett Favre, Barry Sanders) and 2003 (Peyton Manning, Steve McNair), the award was shared.

Only 3 times has the award gone to a player who was not a quarterback or running back: 1971 (Minnesota defensive tackle Alan Page), 1982 (Washington kicker Mark Moseley) and 1986 (New York Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor.)
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:46 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Matt Stafford

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengals78 View Post
Matt Stafford
Umm, that would be "other", lol
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Bengals78
All-Pro

Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bengals78 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
Umm, that would be "other", lol
I get it. You dont want it to look THAT lopsided ;)

bonekrusher
The Twitters
themaninblack
Bengals78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees, or Peyton Manning.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:12 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Anyone else notice that Gruden didn't even mention the Patriot as a candidate?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it will either be Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady. Never assume these guys are thinking about the money, and both Randy Moss and Tom Brady have big new contracts on the mind. They are going to go bananas and their defense being poorer than usual will add to the MVP case. I went with Rodgers, for the reasons outlined in my truths article, but Brady is my 2nd choice.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Aaron Rodgers because he is on my FF team.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You sure don't mind making threads lol. I went with Chris Johnson, that man is motivated and I believe him when he says he wants to be NFL MVP, and think he puts in the work to make it possible. Last year if the Titans had a better record he could have been, so I'm gonna go with him no matter how unlikely it may be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:20 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I went with Brady. I'm a huge fan of what Aaron Rodgers is doing in GB, but I think that team is one season away from being truly successful, while I think the Pats are going to make a strong Super Bowl run this year and Brady will be the key figure in that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I went with Brady. I'm a huge fan of what Aaron Rodgers is doing in GB, but I think that team is one season away from being truly successful, while I think the Pats are going to make a strong Super Bowl run this year and Brady will be the key figure in that.
The Pat's D is a mess.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:24 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

My heart says Aaron Rodgers so that's where I voted but it would surprise me if the AP gets another boner for Favre or Manning.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:26 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Manning, Eli.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:41 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat View Post
The Pat's D is a mess.

It is the supporting cast argument. Peyton Manning didn't deserve it last year over Drew Brees or Brett Favre, but he won it based on the perception that his supporting cast wasn't as good as it has been in the past. The Patriots struggling on defense will feed into how "valuable" Brady is.

Not saying it is legitimate, but that is how these voters see things. That's why a RB will not win the MVP, barring an LT 31 touchdown season on a 14-2 team.

Last edited by Shiver : 09-02-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:42 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prock View Post
Manning, Eli.
Ooooh, nice darkhorse pick. I like. I don't think he'll get the opportunity to toss the rock around as much as he did last year, but if they win the division and he's got numbers close to what he had last year, I think it's definitely a possibility.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope its either Adrian Peterson, Ryan Matthews, CJ Spiller, Matt Ryan, or Jermichael Finley since all of them are on my fantasy team.

Hell, throw in Steve Smith (Giants), Dexter McCluster, Bernard Berrian, Mohammed Massoquoi, Greg Olsen, and Sidney Rice in the mix too for good measure.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:26 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh Malcolm Floyd too. Forgot about him.

Basically, I'm rooting for the Chargers to either run it in with Matthews, or throw a td to Floyd.

Come on Phillip, I know you love Floyd's wingspan. Make it happen.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:31 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Oh Malcolm Floyd too. Forgot about him.

Basically, I'm rooting for the Chargers to either run it in with Matthews, or throw a td to Floyd.

Come on Phillip, I know you love Floyd's wingspan. Make it happen.
Fun fact, Floyd was the receiver on Rivers' very first touchdown pass in the NFL, circa 2004.

Floyd is definitely my biggest quasi-sleeper pick out there. If he plays the full season he is guaranteed to put up 1000+ and 10 TDs, probably on a low amount of catches, but still he is getting picked in the 8th, 9th rounds...
Old 09-02-2010, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Fun fact, Floyd was the receiver on Rivers' very first touchdown pass in the NFL, circa 2004.

Floyd is definitely my biggest quasi-sleeper pick out there. If he plays the full season he is guaranteed to put up 1000+ and 10 TDs, probably on a low amount of catches, but still he is getting picked in the 8th, 9th rounds...
Who should I start at WR?

So basically, right now my team is:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB/WR: Ryan Matthews
RB/WR: CJ Spiller
WR: Steve Smith (NYG)
WR/TE: Malcolm Floyd
TE: Jermichael Finley
D: Oakland
K: Kasey

And I have Berrian, Sidney Rice, MoMas, McCluster, Greg Olsen, and Gronk on the bench.

I'm iffy on Spiller and Floyd in my starting lineup. But Im not sure if I should replace either of em with the guys I have on my bench. Thoughts?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rodgers
Manning
Brees
Rivers

The voting will finish in that order, mark it down
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Peyton Manning will win it even though there will be two or three more deserving candidates. Oh wait, this is 2010 not 2009...
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a (completely unique) feeling that Aaron Rodgers will blow it up this year. Whether he can out-produce Peyton, win more games, & win his division remains to be seen. My pick is Rodgers, but Manning/Brees aren't going down without a fight.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:00 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Who should I start at WR?

So basically, right now my team is:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Adrian Peterson
RB/WR: Ryan Matthews
RB/WR: CJ Spiller
WR: Steve Smith (NYG)
WR/TE: Malcolm Floyd
TE: Jermichael Finley
D: Oakland
K: Kasey

And I have Berrian, Sidney Rice, MoMas, McCluster, Greg Olsen, and Gronk on the bench.
I wouldn't change that lineup unless the buzz on McCluster gets white hot and you're in a PPR league. The path is surprisingly clear for Spiller, someone has to get the carries.

Especially to start the season I would go with Smith and Floyd over Berrian, so with Rice out, Massoquoi not having a QB, and the rest being rookies/in an offense that ignores them, you're set.