Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who will be voted as the MVP for this 2010 season
Chris Johnson 6 8.11%
Adrian Peterson 2 2.70%
Peyton Manning 10 13.51%
Drew Brees 7 9.46%
Aaron Rodgers 32 43.24%
Tom Brady 8 10.81%
Brett Favre 0 0%
Philip Rivers 4 5.41%
Tony Romo 2 2.70%
Other- name him 3 4.05%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
Besides what other have said about Farve, and Brees, Johnson RUSHED FOR 2000 YARDS! How many Rbs have run for that and how many Qbs have thrown 4000?
Johnson wasn't carrying his team to wins like Manning, the Titans did not start doing well until Young came in and the defense started playing better.

Quote:
Then I don't know what the **** your obsession with Manning is about. Are you a Vols fan? Just like his commercials? Is he your star Dynasty league player?
None of that, though he does help me win my fantasy leagues every year, just a fan of the QB who I think is the best to ever play the game. That is including Joe Montana and Steve Young.
abaddon41_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Homer alert, but I'm thinking if Rivers can duplicate his success of the last two years without McNeill and Jackson, and still lead the Chargers to 12-4/13-3, he has to be up there, right?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Johnson wasn't carrying his team to wins like Manning, the Titans did not start doing well until Young came in and the defense started playing better.

None of that, though he does help me win my fantasy leagues every year, just a fan of the QB who I think is the best to ever play the game. That is including Joe Montana and Steve Young.
So wait, Manning carried his team to the superbowl but threw a pick six to lose it, and Brees carried his team to a superbowl win, so wouldnt by your logic Brees be MVP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:07 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Homer alert, but I'm thinking if Rivers can duplicate his success of the last two years without McNeill and Jackson, and still lead the Chargers to 12-4/13-3, he has to be up there, right?
Absolutely.

Everyone is down on the Chargers, but I sense quite possibly the biggest Ewing Theory season ever with Tomlinson gone in San Diego.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will be picking the Chargers to win the Super Bowl (along the lines of the Tiki Barber theory + good team, great QB, good opportunity in a weak division) so I voted for Philip Rivers.

Peyton Manning, if you think about the term "valuable", deserves to win it most years, including last year, so I agree with Abaddon to an extent.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Absolutely.

Everyone is down on the Chargers, but I sense quite possibly the biggest Ewing Theory season ever with Tomlinson gone in San Diego.
That is just weird. We both posted the pretty much exact same thing at 5:07...
Old 09-02-2010, 04:08 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
That is just weird. We both posted the pretty much exact same thing at 5:07...
I think this pretty much guarantees it will happen haha.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That is an overall career argument, which is fine, even if I disagree. That doesn't mean you can completely, utterly and without context demean what Drew Brees, Chris Johnson and Brett Favre accomplished last year. "Not even close" wtf.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:09 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Drew Brees, short of falling on his face, will win it and it will be effectively a make up call for last year.

Manning winning it last year was a joke
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.abaddon41_80 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
So wait, Manning carried his team to the superbowl but threw a pick six to lose it, and Brees carried his team to a superbowl win, so wouldnt by your logic Brees be MVP?
First of all the MVP is not awarded for a one game performance, no matter how important the game, and secondly what part of Brees have a top 10 running game while Manning had none don't you get? Manning is the most "valuable" player to his team in the league in that taking away him would make the biggest difference, more so than any other single player in the league.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I will be picking the Chargers to win the Super Bowl (along the lines of the Tiki Barber theory + good team, great QB, good opportunity in a weak division) so I voted for Philip Rivers.

Peyton Manning, if you think about the term "valuable", deserves to win it most years, including last year, so I agree with Abaddon to an extent.
I believe Manning is the best player in the game, but it was an odd sight to see him completely run away with the MVP award last year when several players statistically out-performed him.

Even Michael Jordan in his prime lost MVP's to Charles Barkley and Karl Malone.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So your saying those other MVP awards he shouldn't have won, because he had elite running games? Oh, he had Edgerrin James in 2003 and 2004! Shouldn't have won I suppose.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:11 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
I think this pretty much guarantees it will happen haha.
One can only hope, but I'll trade Philip's MVP for a playoff win against the Jets or Pats for once.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
One can only hope, but I'll trade Philip's MVP for a playoff win against the Jets or Pats for once.
You'll probably end up playing one of them, but pray to the football gods you play the Colts in the AFC Championship. They can't beat the Chargers to save their life.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:14 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
So your saying those other MVP awards he shouldn't have won, because he had elite running games? Oh, he had Edgerrin James in 2003 and 2004! Shouldn't have won I suppose.
2003: 19th
2004: 15th
2008: 31st
2009: 32nd

Rushing offense ranks for the Colts
Old 09-02-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
First of all the MVP is not awarded for a one game performance, no matter how important the game, and secondly what part of Brees have a top 10 running game while Manning had none don't you get? Manning is the most "valuable" player to his team in the league in that taking away him would make the biggest difference, more so than any other single player in the league.
When did I dispute the running game argument haha. God I love when people try to argue about player talent around Manning. Oh boo hoo, Manning didnt have a very good running game, but hes only played with first round talent since he got into the league, wahhh.

Like others have said, you saying it wasnt even close is just stupid, and yes one game matters, it can be the difference of a whole season, because 31 teams will say they did not accomplish their goal of winning a super bowl last year. Its the goal year in and year out, no one on the Colts says going into the season,"gee I hope Manning throws for 4000 yards and we get to the superbowl but not win!" So yes one game matters.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

I wouldn't say there weren't other contenders, but Manning had a spectacular year and never lost a game. (good job Polian!)

Those other guys just had spectacular years. It really wasn't that close despite the amazing statistics of Brees and CJ2K. Stats don't tell the whole story although many times the MVP award is (incorrectly IMO) given to "guy with the best stats on a playoff team" example: Shaun Alexander over Steve Smith in 2005.

And again, if the question is who is MOST VALUABLE to his team - it was Manning 100%.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:20 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When did I dispute the running game argument haha. God I love when people try to argue about player talent around Manning. Oh boo hoo, Manning didnt have a very good running game, but hes only played with first round talent since he got into the league, wahhh.
I never said that you did dispute it, I was just pointing out that was why he deserved it more than Brees.

Quote:
Like others have said, you saying it wasnt even close is just stupid, and yes one game matters, it can be the difference of a whole season, because 31 teams will say they did not accomplish their goal of winning a super bowl last year. Its the goal year in and year out, no one on the Colts says going into the season,"gee I hope Manning throws for 4000 yards and we get to the superbowl but not win!" So yes one game matters.
I guess we should just award the MVP to whoever wins Super Bowl MVP then, right? It doesn't matter than one player was more valuable for the other 18 games, all that matters is that someone else was for that 1 game.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
I never said that you did dispute it, I was just pointing out that was why he deserved it more than Brees.

I guess we should just award the MVP to whoever wins Super Bowl MVP then, right? It doesn't matter than one player was more valuable for the other 18 games, all that matters is that someone else was for that 1 game.
That player (Brees) was pretty close to being equally impressive as Manning and you ignoring that is what is driving your argument. Brees had an amazing season just as well.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 04:24 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Brees' TD:INT ratio through the entire playoffs was 8:0 in addition to a 13-3 regular season record in addition to a Superbowl championship. Doesn't get more valuable than that.

And I think the Saints are in worse shape than the Colts if both players are taken off their teams. I'll take the Colts weapons over the Saints all day
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:25 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
That player was pretty close to being equally impressive as Manning and you ignoring that is what is driving your argument. Brees had an amazing season just as well.

But he had teh running game! Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Reggie Bush! The best thing since Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:28 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
But he had teh running game! Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Reggie Bush! The best thing since Mercury Morris, Jim Kiick and Larry Csonka.
ReggIE BUSh is like ta best inside runner in teh NFL! zZommg!

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM    (permalink
abaddon41_80
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That player (Brees) was pretty close to being equally impressive as Manning and you ignoring that is what is driving your argument. Brees had an amazing season just as well.
He was almost as impressive but he had the better supporting cast and if you took him away the Saints would not have suffered as much as the Colts, which is why Manning was more "valuable".
Old 09-02-2010, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon

Quote:
He was almost as impressive but he had the better supporting cast and if you took him away the Saints would not have suffered as much as the Colts, which is why Manning was more "valuable".
Ok I'm not going to get into an argument with a troll over Mannings level of talent and supporting cast.

Quote:
Old 09-02-2010, 04:44 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I really have no idea how you can say that when the teams are basically constructed exactly the same.