Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 2011 NYJ Draft Discussion

The 2010 draft is over so I guess we can move on and begin discussing the 2011 draft.

This draft is stacked at some positions we may be looking at such as DE, OLB and WR.

Sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Hurricanes25 : 04-28-2010 at 07:41 PM.
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i think we may have to look at safety depending on pool and smiths play this season
Old 04-28-2010, 09:00 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
i think we may have to look at safety depending on pool and smiths play this season
Agreed. I don't think the saftey class will be as strong as this years was, but a senior that Im pretty high on is Deunta Williams from North Carolina. He has 12 career interceptions up to this point. He may be the ballhawk that our D might be missing this year.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-28-2010, 09:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Awesome!! I thought about creating this thread but nobody's really been that active.

Heading into next season there are some pretty clear cut holes...I've been thinking about what position the first round selection gets used on. This should be a fun post to laugh at in about a year.

DE - A major need on this team right now. Not much depth, youth, or talent there, but Ryan seems to be alright with taking late round/UDFA types and plugging them in. I assume a lot of mocks will have us taking a defensive end, not sure if it'll actually happen. There are a TON of good 5-tech prospects in next draft...at least right now. I thought the same thing last year. Still with Clayborn, Heyward, Bailey, Crick, and Dareus there should be some solid options if the team elects to go that route. I'm not sold they will though.

FS - The other big hole heading into this season. It appears Brodney Pool is the favorite to start, with Eric Smith and even apparently James Ihedigbo have a chance to start there. But Pool is on a one year deal and neither Smith nor Ihedigbo appear to be long term options right now, though that could change as the season goes on. Donovan Warren is apparently listed as a safety also and brings an intriguing skill set to the spot, but he's got to make the roster and do a whole lot of other stuff before he should really be talked about as a long term answer anywhere besides the practice squad. This doesn't seem to be a huge premium position in the defense, but perhaps they didn't like any of the free safeties in this year's class (DeAndre McDaniel, Deunta Williams, and Rahim Moore stick out as first round possibilities right now, though I feel like I'm forgetting somebody). There are a few decent free safety prospects this year so it's a possibility, but I think like defensive end it's unlikely they go in this direction.

OLB - This position could still use an addition and appears to be a "premium" position for this defense. With Jason Taylor basically a one year rental and Bryan Thomas not producing much of a pass rush, if Ryan and the scouting department identify a rush OLB they like I think it's a definite possibility that the first rounder gets used on this position. Greg Romeus and Von Miller seem to be the big two at the spot this season, Robert Quinn could probably be a good fit as well and Jeremy Beal and Jack Crawford get some love from some places but I'd be surprised if some other pass rushers don't come out of the woodwork. All of the players everywhere who are first round possibilities are obviously incredibly subject to change at this point, a few of them will go undrafted. This probably seems most likely in terms of need and value to get a first round pick spent on it, but I question whether a good player who fits will be on the board in round 1.

RT - Is definitely something that could use an upgrade, unless Ducasse ends up on the right side in which case the need should be at LG. Damien Woody makes me sad in pass protection and I think good tackles are a priority to protect the team's investment in Sanchez. Woody's aging anyway and investing in a right tackle would give the team youth at nearly every spot on the OL. It also could have the additional bonus of potentially providing leverage in negotiations with Brick if the guy is capable of playing on the left side too. I'd imagine that'd be something in the back of Tannenbaum's mind as he determines what direction to go in. Don't see a slew of tackles I love right now, especially from the right side, but good offensive linemen tend to pop up during the year after they have good seasons. Gabe Carimi is one who I think could play well on the right side, but depending on the year he and the Jets have they may not be in a position to draft him. Think this may be the second most likely position the first rounder gets used on, but again value is going to be a question. You know that this staff prioritizes having hogs on the offensive line to run the ball behind though.

CB - Always a possibility with Ryan! If Cromartie either busts or doesn't get retained after the season, a third corner is going to be important. And if Wilson doesn't prove he can handle playing on the outside, which shouldn't be an issue but who knows, finding a #2 corner is an even bigger priority. Lots of good corners this year, Peterson is obviously the big one and then there's a boatload of other guys after him. The rankings should shuffle a lot between now and the draft since it seems a lot of the corners have some flaws. With this team a corner is always a possibility though, unless we have 3 players under contract through the following season I wouldn't rule it out.

WR - Obviously this position depends a lot on what happens with Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. If neither is retained, which is probably possible, then finding a #1 wideout for Sanchez would be nice. Between Jones, Green, Baldwin, Floyd, and others this WR class should be lovely, so if it's a need they should be able to address it with a really good player. I hope it isn't though, as it'd be better to use picks on other positions (especially the defensive side, oddly enough).

NT - This is kind of a sleeper position and I'm not sure where to put it. With Jenkins' injury issues Jets fans have been talking about adding a NT for awhile now, at the very least as a successor. Pouha played very well as a sub last year, but if Jenks goes down again this year he's getting older and somebody else should be brought in. What I can't tell is how much of a premium position this is for the organization, since it didn't make a ton of sense to take one in the first or second rounds this year. It could be a very important one in which case if Jenks is hurt this shoots up to the top of the needs list IMO, but it's kind of questionable for me right now. Jerrell Powe is the popular NT prospect right now. Should be addressed at some point depending on what Jenks does, but I'm not sure what happens here.

Other positions are ILB (depth maybe mid-late rounds), TE (blocker mid-late rounds?), QB (backup mid-late rounds?), RB (seems like they always want more there, just like corner, and there could be depth concerns because Greene and McKnight might get dinged up but I doubt it's a first round need), FB (all set barring something catastrophic), SS (most of the safeties on the roster should be playing there so I think it'll be ok), and then G, LT, and C which should hopefully be set although I could see bringing in a guard to develop.

Well again this should be way off but that's my thoughts on where our first round pick ends up. Who are some of everyone's favorite prospects this year?
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:38 PM    (permalink
gsorace
Veteran

gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gsorace is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys think Allen Bailey will be available at pick #32?
gsorace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsorace View Post
You guys think Allen Bailey will be available at pick #32?
I wouldn't bet on it, but given a full college season between now and the 2011 draft, anything can happen.

I remember when Vince Wilfork was a possibility for the #1 overall pick.

It was directly after the 2003 draft. :)
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:54 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

+

= new DL ftw.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

With Jenkins' injury and a possible retirement, NT just became our biggest need, imo.
Senior Prospects
Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss
Kenrick Ellis, Hampton
Phil Taylor, Baylor

These guys seem to be the top senior NT prospects. I don't know much about Ellis(seems very intriguing) or Taylor but Powe is an animal.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's really early, but right now I think offense is the way to go. Last year the team managed to do alright with Jenks out, and the defense seems to be able to plug guys in and chug along. Defensive backs seem to be somewhat more important, but the front 7 in particular seems to be something where they can take mid-late round guys, even UDFA's, and have success.

Based on that and the fact that the offense is crap right now, I think an offensive guy is the way to go. A few options there. I think LG and RT are both weaknesses, so depending on Ducasse's progress and long-term spot those would be great to address. Also given only one of Edwards and Holmes will be re-signed at best a WR could make sense, 3rd WR for a couple years till J-Co moves on and then a starter. Finally given they like to pound the rock, I'd love a gamebreaker in the backfield. Not sure that kind of RB is really in this draft, but somebody who can catch it out of the backfield and create big plays would be nice.

I'd love a NT too, just seems like a need that won't get addressed early based on how Ryan's defense works and the way the staff likes to draft.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:12 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh they'll definitely try to develop the offense more around Sanchez, and you have the draft strategy nailed.

I still think getting a stud DL should be a top priority in the offseason. This D would be scary with one.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
Oh they'll definitely try to develop the offense more around Sanchez, and you have the draft strategy nailed.

I still think getting a stud DL should be a top priority in the offseason. This D would be scary with one.
Oh absolutely, a dominant DL would be great. Isn't Ngata a FA soon? Definitely a pipe dream, but he and Rex are obviously familiar with each other. To get a guy in the draft I think they'll have to overlook something - I'm guessing a guy with less than ideal height/length for a 5-tech or a NT where people get concerned about weight. Maybe Clayborn slips too, though his use of that bad arm kind of bothers me. Otherwise those perfect tweeners will hopefully be long gone before the Jets pick.

Speaking of things I'd like on defense, a playmaking safety would be awesome with that front 7 and some nice corner play, could roam around and really make some big plays if the right guy ended up in the scheme. There are just so many possibilities right now, not a lot of positions would really surprise me. Depending on how things play out I could see almost any position defensively, and RT/G or WR would make a lot of sense on offense depending on how things go the rest of the year. I'm sure it'll become more clear, but it should be a fun draft next year.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:06 PM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Safety should be Mark Barron ftw.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:28 AM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Oh absolutely, a dominant DL would be great. Isn't Ngata a FA soon? Definitely a pipe dream, but he and Rex are obviously familiar with each other. To get a guy in the draft I think they'll have to overlook something - I'm guessing a guy with less than ideal height/length for a 5-tech or a NT where people get concerned about weight. Maybe Clayborn slips too, though his use of that bad arm kind of bothers me. Otherwise those perfect tweeners will hopefully be long gone before the Jets pick.

Speaking of things I'd like on defense, a playmaking safety would be awesome with that front 7 and some nice corner play, could roam around and really make some big plays if the right guy ended up in the scheme. There are just so many possibilities right now, not a lot of positions would really surprise me. Depending on how things play out I could see almost any position defensively, and RT/G or WR would make a lot of sense on offense depending on how things go the rest of the year. I'm sure it'll become more clear, but it should be a fun draft next year.
That's beyond a pipe dream... not only has he been a fan favorite since he arrived in Baltimore he has said on numerous occasions he wants to be there long term. Keep dreaming on getting him up in NY

You guys need very little help on Offense but you need some DL and LB's to compliment your outstanding secondary... IMO
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:44 AM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Cameron Heyward/Jordan are pretty ideal picks, here's to hoping Adrian Clayborn falls. Rex loves his DBs and blitzing with them in his scheme, however it is becoming much too easy to block as of late and it's been pretty evident that we need a pass rush from our DE or OLB spots.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

I had the Jets in the forum mock and here's what I did:

26. Allen Bailey, DE, Miami (FL)
58. Matt Reynolds, OT, BYU
122. Steven Friday, OLB, Virginia Tech
154. Graig Cooper, RB, Miami (FL)

Looking back, I should have taken JJ Watt instead of Allen Bailey. I just really like Bailey's versatility and that would help us out in our 4-3 sets.

Matt Reynolds is one of the better eligible RT's available in this years draft so I was very happy that he fell to me. He comes in right away and takes over for the declining Damian Woody.

I was very happy to get Steven Friday at the end of the 4th. He's a guy that will move up draft boards as the draft approaches. He probably gives us a better pass rushing option than Bryan Thomas.

Cooper gives us explosiveness out of the backfield, something McKnight should be doing.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 12-26-2010, 12:28 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

Don't like Bailey and no need to go with a OT in round 2...Ducasse is the RT of the future IMO.

I really would like to grab one of the DL. Mohamed Wilkerson and Cameron Heyward are my two favorite 3-4 DE prospects.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets should go heavily on defense in the upcoming draft. Sanchez is set as is most of the offensive line. Even if Woody doesnt come back, Hunter has been terrific replacing him and there is still Ducasse in the wings. Greene and McKnight is a young backfield. Between Keller, Holmes, Edwards and Cotchery there are plenty of receiving options and a lot of talent to throw to, even if Edwards or Holmes leave. A WR or TE can easily be found in the later rounds or in free agency.

On defense though the Jets not only lack athletisism but also speed and young talent up front. Ellis is on his last legs, Taylor, BT and Pace have been abysmal rushing the passer for most of the year and the safety play has also been terrible. Sure, the defense was still good but not up to Rex standards. At DE there are plenty of players available (Watt, Jordan, Heyward, Bailey, Guy, Ballard) and there also seem to be some nice NT prospects in the draft like Powe or Taylor. At safety the team needs a true ballhawk who can cover a lot of ground.
Flaming Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
timewaster
Rookie

timewaster timewaster timewaster timewaster

I watched some highlights of Jeremy Beal earlier. Think he is just what we need.
timewaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
I watched some highlights of Jeremy Beal earlier. Think he is just what we need.
Beal is an interesting guy. Pretty good pass rusher and pretty good against the run as well. I hope we give him a look at the end of the 1st.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

So many things have to shake out before we even have any idea who's going to be there late in the first...Beal's interesting because he's been really productive and can impact the game in both phases like you've said. He's got a little experience standing up too. Not sure if he's that explosive though, he almost strikes me as more of a second round guy than a late first, and we don't have that second. Maybe I'm wrong, but he just doesn't look like a first round pass rusher to me. Unless a safety rises or something unexpected happens like both WR's leaving, I'd definitely like a DL or OLB in the first though. With all of the 5 tech's in the draft somebody could slip, think you're going to get a better value there than with a pass rusher. I'm with Mo on this one, defense definitely needs an infusion of talent. If we can keep the offense together and maybe tweak a couple of minor things that'd be nice, but Rex needs some more talent to work with on the defensive side of the ball.
Old 01-14-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

You make a good point Derza. Beal isn't exactly an "elite" pass rusher. He is probably more of a #2 guy than somebody who will be leading a team in sacks.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-14-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
You make a good point Derza. Beal isn't exactly an "elite" pass rusher. He is probably more of a #2 guy than somebody who will be leading a team in sacks.
Yeah, exactly. Not sure there's enough depth on the Jets to make that kind of pick in the first round, especially without a second round pick. It's a luxury pick, and I think there's at least one of the #2 types that you mention on the roster right now anyway. I'd rather find a DE that slips and can take up blockers, make it a little easier to manufacture the pass rush that way and if it's the right guy they could be good for 5, 6 sacks a year from the 5-tech anyway. I could maybe see going with a guy like Aldon Smith or Justin Houston if they're around. Not sure about Von Miller because he's so light, but he really turned it on towards the end of the year and if they wanted to go in that direction I'd understand it. Kerrigan I'd wait to see in LB drills, and Ayers hasn't been as productive as I'd like to see getting after the QB, he's versatile but the real need is for a pass rusher IMO. A guy like Heyward, Jordan, or Watt could be a really great fit, improving the DL and getting after the QB a bit. Not sure any of them will be around though.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flaming Mo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
Exactly the feeling I get with him. We already have these type of guys in Pace and BT. Very good overall, complete players but really not scaring anyone off the edge.

With as deep as the DL is shaking up to be, I would be very suprised if no stud 3-4 DE falls to us at the end of the first round.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:09 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

So apparently Cam Heyward is out 3 months...here's hoping he drops like a ton of bricks.

Mo, good to see you post here. It's a good place for draft talk.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:40 AM    (permalink
Flaming Mo
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
So apparently Cam Heyward is out 3 months...here's hoping he drops like a ton of bricks.

Mo, good to see you post here. It's a good place for draft talk.
Damn right, that's why I joined!