Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Goodell reduces Roethlisberger's suspension to four games

Roger Goodell reduces Ben Roethlisberger's suspension to four games

Quote:
As expected, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has reduced Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's suspension to four games.

Jason La Canfora of NFL Network was the first to report that Goodell reduced the suspension, after Roethlisberger met with Goodell today. The NFL confirmed that the suspension will be four games.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I know he probably did, but come on, what kind of a league is this that suspends a guy for something he didn't even get charged with?

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, let's suspend Young, Rogers, Mauluga, and Benson now. This is ********.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:11 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goodell's punishments have nothing to do with the crime itself.

It has everything to do with how much publicity your crime or accusation receives. He's a politician of sorts.

You could do nothing, but get a ton of bad media for it, and he'll lay the hammer down on ya. You could actually commit a crime, and no one will broadcast it much, and he'll sweep it under the rug.

Goodell is all about public perception.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. It's negative publicity for the league... that's why he suspends them

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah it is BS. I do like a lot of things that Goodell does, as I feel he's a very progressive commisioner, but sometimes I do feel he has too much power.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:41 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Being seriously accused of rape and having the judge come out and say he wished he could convict you is a hell of a lot different then punching someone in a bar fight. I'm sorry, but thats an absolutely ******** comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I do feel Ben did do it, the evidence against him is pretty damning, but I'm just saying in general, Goodell is unfair with his punishments.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:55 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Roethlisberger was doing anything else for a living, he would've been fired.

4 games of 1 season is an extremely light punishment
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
Which is BS. The NFLPA needs to really stick up for its players in the new CBA. There is no way that the commissioner should have that kind of authority and discretion. Not only that, but he is the one who the players have to talk to to get an appeal! Judge, Jury, Executioner all in one.
I said this would happen the second the new personal conduct policy was announced. Every move he makes is 100% dictated by PR and image, logic and precedence are not factors, as I predicted.

Pacman Jones ruined things for the common NFL player and Michael Vick ruined it for the star players.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I wouldn't say unfair, but he's erratic. I think he handles each case individually with no regard to precedent, which is unusual to many of us since most justice systems we are familiar with are based on systems that rely heavily on precedent. Regardless, I just think its stupid to compare VY punching someone in a bar, which I guarantee 90% of NFL players have done, to Ben raping some girl and almost being convicted. For me, there is a colossal difference in the nature of both those crimes, and one deserves a suspension and one doesnt.
Almost got convicted? He didn't even get charged or arrested.

Not that I agree with the notion that young should be suspended, but to say Ben almost got convicted is just plain wrong.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:36 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

The judge in the case was quoted as saying that he wished he could convict Ben, as the evidence was fairly damning. I'll go back and read the actual thread and find the article if I have to, because the actual hangup is eluding me right now, but there was very little doubt as to whether he actually did it. Regardless, the circumstances and the nature of the accusations are a hell of a lot more serious then punching someone in a bar fight, at least if you ask me.
Quote:
Old 09-03-2010, 01:45 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with Big Ben getting suspended, but I do think it's a little harsh considering he never got charged or arrested. The VY thing is meh, because a bar fight is whatever. But Shaun Rogers, Ray Malauga, and Cedric Benson going on their what, 3rd? offense and yet they get a slap on the wrist? I don't care who the player is. If they get arrested and/or charged, they should get suspended just as much as Ben has. That's where I have a problem.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Once is an accident, twice is the start of a trend.

Ben brought this on himself, his arrogant and disruptive off the field actions got him in trouble 2 straight years and frankly he warranted the suspension. Politics aside, Goodell had to make an example of him and to Ben's credit he cleaned up and did more then what was required of him.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Once is an accident, twice is the start of a trend.

Ben brought this on himself, his arrogant and disruptive off the field actions got him in trouble 2 straight years and frankly he warranted the suspension. Politics aside, Goodell had to make an example of him and to Ben's credit he cleaned up and did more then what was required of him.
See, I agree with this. He should be suspended for his dumbassness, not the crime he didn't comitt(allegedlly, I may add). 2 games seems fair if other players are getting off easy for crimes they get commited for.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:53 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

what are the steelers doing these days to satisfy big ben's johnson and make sure no more of these rapes or allegations surface?
the tiger woods route? (none of those hundreds of ho's accused woods of rape).

it's hard to trust women. many are gold diggers, and ben has earned himself a reputation that makes him an easy, and vulnerable target going forward.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
See, I agree with this. He should be suspended for his dumbassness, not the crime he didn't comitt(allegedlly, I may add). 2 games seems fair if other players are getting off easy for crimes they get commited for.
You need to stop looking at everyone else and just focus solely on Ben's rap sheet so to speak. 2 consecutive offseasons, 2 highly publicized sexual misconduct allegations. That merits his suspension for however many games its going to be, and frankly he's fortunate not to be facing criminal charges so the suspension should be the least of his concern. I get it, Steeler fans want their QB back ASAP well maybe they should direct that sentiment to their idiotic QB who can't seem to treat women with dignity and respect instead treats them as objects.

Goodell is not the bad guy in this scenario and people need to stop making him out to be the dark knight. Ben did this to Ben. Roger was and is just protecting the shield.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:02 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love to see any quote from a judge, because It's complete misconduct for a judge to want to convict someone before a trial.

And if it was so definite and evidence so damning, he'd have been charged. He wasn't because it was his word against hers, and she's not reliable at all. The case would have been a toss up at best because there was no evidence at all.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
You need to stop looking at everyone else and just focus solely on Ben's rap sheet so to speak. 2 consecutive offseasons, 2 highly publicized sexual misconduct allegations. That merits his suspension for however many games its going to be, and frankly he's fortunate not to be facing criminal charges so the suspension should be the least of his concern. I get it, Steeler fans want their QB back ASAP well maybe they should direct that sentiment to their idiotic QB who can't seem to treat women with dignity and respect instead treats them as objects.

Goodell is not the bad guy in this scenario and people need to stop making him out to be the dark knight. Ben did this to Ben. Roger was and is just protecting the shield.
But with Rodger wanting to be consistant, he sure isn't. Yeah it's all Ben's fault. Everyone agrees with that. All I'm saying is that if Rodger wants to be consistant and go by the double standard rule, he needs to start doing it. Not just giving other player's slaps on the wrist. Hopefully this will open up Ben's eyes and he'll learn his lesson and never do this again, but you never know. If it was Ray Lewis, I'd be doing the same thing. It's just not a Steeler thing if anyone is going to accuse me for that.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:11 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm glad he kept it at 4 game, 3 and he would have been back for the Ravens game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:19 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dennis Dixon likes this.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:22 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
Dennis Dixon likes this.
He should be liking Leftwich going down more.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:23 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
But with Rodger wanting to be consistant, he sure isn't. Yeah it's all Ben's fault. Everyone agrees with that. All I'm saying is that if Rodger wants to be consistant and go by the double standard rule, he needs to start doing it. Not just giving other player's slaps on the wrist. Hopefully this will open up Ben's eyes and he'll learn his lesson and never do this again, but you never know. If it was Ray Lewis, I'd be doing the same thing. It's just not a Steeler thing if anyone is going to accuse me for that.
First I wasn't saying you were being a "homer", I was merely stating that Steeler fans need to channel any negative feelings onto Ben so he realizes he needs to grow up.

Secondly, Goodell can't be consist in these suspensions because he is taking every infraction on a case by case basis. That being being said, Ben's file has more paper so naturally he's not going to get a slap on the wrist with this being his 2nd time.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Quote:
Quote: