Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:51 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as starter

Report: Steelers lean toward Charlie Batch as Week One starter

Quote:
Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers are "likely" to give Batch the nod against the Falcons.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:45 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

over DD???? why????

They must be scared of DD playing good enough to start where it'd create a qb controversy when ben comes back or force DD to look into demanding a trade (or leaving when he's a free agent) :D
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I speak on behalf of all Falcons fans: thank you.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:06 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Living in "Stiller Nation" this has been discussed on talk radio ad nauseum for several days. A great number of Steeler fans wanted Dixon to start over Leftwich and few, if any ever mentioned Batch as a possibility. As soon as Dixon had a bad preseason game, everyone jumped off the bandwagon and began clamoring for Batch. It's amazing that Mike Tomlin would start Roethlisberger in the final preseason game because of the "importance it was for Ben to get reps with the 1st team" all the while Batch has barely gotten reps with ANY depth squad all offseason.

It's gotten so ridiculous amongst some fans that people have said that Randle-El, Ward, or Battle could play QB. LULZ
Old 09-05-2010, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

do they just not trust Dixon or what?

"gee let's go with the ******* old vet because at least he wont try too hard to make plays!"

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM    (permalink
phlysac
All-Pro

phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.phlysac is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
do they just not trust Dixon or what?

"gee let's go with the ******* old vet because at least he wont try too hard to make plays!"
They think Dixon has the most potential to LOSE games. They want to keep him on the roster for some reason. I'm sorry but if you don't trust a player well enough to start ahead of Byron Leftwich or Charlie Batch, I have no idea why he stays on your squad.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:40 PM    (permalink
BlindSite
All-Pro

BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BlindSite is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dixon is a boom or bust player (not overall, but on the field) he's the kind of guy who's either going to force things and turn the ball over or stall drives or he'll give you big bursts of production.

Batch is a more stable game manager and I'm guessing the coaches believe that having a guy who can dink and dunk occasionally with the running game trying to get going is a better option.

I don't necessarily agree with it against the Falcons, but I can see their logic.

BlindSite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:42 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Batch. I'd like for him to start. I want Dixon to start, but I know Dixon has a chance to lose more games than win. He'll still play, though.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:32 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hopefully it's true.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:35 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know why people are so high on Dixon?
Old 09-05-2010, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Fat_Actor
Rookie

Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.Fat_Actor could make a wolverine purr.

Batch has done good for them in the past. Both Dixon and Batch have potential to really hold this team above water while Big Ben comes back.
Fat_Actor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:20 PM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've heard of two theories as to why the Steelers won't start Dennis Dixon, and neither has anything to do with him being a bad player.

There are rumors out there that he doesn't know the playbook, blew it in that preseason game....whatever. He was their primary backup last year and got a start vs. one of the leagues traditionally great defenses in the Ravens, and he didn't embarass himself. Apparently he knows the playbook well enough...you don't keep a QB around that doesn't know it to that degree. It would simply be stupid.

The two theories that are more believable have to do with the Steelers wanting to avoid a controversy when Ben comes back and not wanting to pay Dixon a lot of money after this season when he becomes a RFA.

Firstly, if Leftwich or Batch played well in the games that Ben was out for, no one would really clamor for them to be long term starters and take Ben's job. If a young, athletic, non-rapist playmaker like Dixon were to play well....it would be much a much harder sell to the fanbase and media to pull him for a potentially rusty Ben who has a lot of negative pub going on for him.

And as I said, after this season, Dixon will be a RFA (Assuming a new CBA doesn't change that.) If he were to play well, with all of the team that could need a legit QB in the league, it would become hard for the Steelers to keep him. If tendered at the highest RFA level, the Steelers would get back a 1st and a 3rd from any team who signs him. So what if your a team like the Vikings...likely picking in the last half of the first round, built to win now, and in need of a long-term QB. Why draft someone completely unproven when you could send a 1st and a 3rd for a proven playmaker in the NFL like Dixon?

The Steelers may really like what they have in Dixon, and they have reason to keep him around...they just want to do so as cheaply as is possible. I mean, Ben is one stupid act away from a year or longer suspension in the NFL.

I think that it's a combination of those two things that's holding him back. It's all about the politics.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:40 PM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Now my 6-10 Steelers prediction is closer to the truth, or not.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fans want Dixon to start because he's the more athletic, entertaining player. I imagine the Steelers would start him if he was the more effective QB at leading the offense.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:55 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Dixon just isn't ready. I was on the bandwagon, the one game he played last year, I was there live and wanted him to start, but he isn't ready to take on NFL defenses. He still can't read defenses and pulls an Akili Smith most of the time in that aspect. He is athletic, and still young, but he doesn't give the team the best chance to win. The Steelers best chance to win is play excellent defense, run, and not make crucial mistakes. Batch won't, Lefty won't, Dixon may. We saw it against Denver in the preseason, he just isn't there yet.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Theres no way the Steelers would not start Dixon if he was the better player. Hell, judging by his preseason performance, I don't know how anyone could even think he could play good enough to make the fans want him over Ben.

Most Steelers fans think Dixon reminds them of Kordell Stewart. Trust me, fans arn't gonna be demanding he starts.

Everyone knows Ben is necessary for this team to get back to a superbowl. No matter what people think about Ben's suspensions and accusations they want to win, and no one thinks Dixon is capable of becoming anything more than a solid athletic backup, at best.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM    (permalink
Timbathia
Veteran

Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Timbathia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I've heard of two theories as to why the Steelers won't start Dennis Dixon, and neither has anything to do with him being a bad player.

There are rumors out there that he doesn't know the playbook, blew it in that preseason game....whatever. He was their primary backup last year and got a start vs. one of the leagues traditionally great defenses in the Ravens, and he didn't embarass himself. Apparently he knows the playbook well enough...you don't keep a QB around that doesn't know it to that degree. It would simply be stupid.

The two theories that are more believable have to do with the Steelers wanting to avoid a controversy when Ben comes back and not wanting to pay Dixon a lot of money after this season when he becomes a RFA.

Firstly, if Leftwich or Batch played well in the games that Ben was out for, no one would really clamor for them to be long term starters and take Ben's job. If a young, athletic, non-rapist playmaker like Dixon were to play well....it would be much a much harder sell to the fanbase and media to pull him for a potentially rusty Ben who has a lot of negative pub going on for him.

And as I said, after this season, Dixon will be a RFA (Assuming a new CBA doesn't change that.) If he were to play well, with all of the team that could need a legit QB in the league, it would become hard for the Steelers to keep him. If tendered at the highest RFA level, the Steelers would get back a 1st and a 3rd from any team who signs him. So what if your a team like the Vikings...likely picking in the last half of the first round, built to win now, and in need of a long-term QB. Why draft someone completely unproven when you could send a 1st and a 3rd for a proven playmaker in the NFL like Dixon?

The Steelers may really like what they have in Dixon, and they have reason to keep him around...they just want to do so as cheaply as is possible. I mean, Ben is one stupid act away from a year or longer suspension in the NFL.

I think that it's a combination of those two things that's holding him back. It's all about the politics.
So the Steelers would rather lose 4 games than risk having a backup player looking good? Seems rather silly to have good backup player if you are too scared to let him play in case anyone notices. What if Ben does something stupid this year and misses more time, or comes back and get hurt? Wouldnt you want Dixon in there getting the starts if he truly is the best option right now?

After watching him versus the Broncos, I am more in the camp of thinking "he looks awful as a QB and needs more work still".
Timbathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:24 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post

It was said by one Steeler writer that he doesn't know the whole playbook, but he's getting better. If you heard the announcers talk during Dixon's start against Baltimore, they had only TEN plays for him to run. The ten plays he knew the best, that's what they ran. Maybe there was a little more, but as a QB being comfortable with only 10 plays out of however many is kinda pathetic.

The whole him being in a QB controversy is pretty ******** if you ask me. Ben is the QB no matter if Dixon or Batch start the season 4-0. If anything, I can see Dixon getting traded in the offseason by a team needing a QB and signing him to an offer sheet.

I like Dixon because he can make plays and is exciting, but I know he is not ready to start yet and I'd rather have Chuck back there because he knows the system and will not do anything that can potentially cost the Steelers a game. Dixon will play, but he will not be a starting QB here unless he's the last resort.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:16 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Looks like Dixon will be the starter against Atlanta.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:10 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Mike Tomlin confirms Dennis Dixon will start

Yep.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:15 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good decision

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This doesnt need it's own thread but i saw something today that made me about fall off my chair. Mike Tomlin isnt committing to Ben getting his starting job back. Give me a ####ing break Mike and stop insulting our intelligence.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Complete joke. Thats just Tomlin committing to nothing in the media like he always does.

I bet you're going to put a 103 millions dollar QB with 2 superbowl rings on the bench for Lefty, Batch, or Dixon.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:34 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Big Ben is one of the 5 most talented QBs in the league. Size, arm strength, mobility, accuracy, confidence, etc. He's got just about everything a team looks for in a QB, minus the off field stupidity. No coach is going to risk his own job security by sitting a QB that good. Big Ben is so good he's supposedly gotten by without much of a work ethic.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
Big Ben is one of the 5 most talented QBs in the league. Size, arm strength, mobility, accuracy, confidence, etc. He's got just about everything a team looks for in a QB, minus the off field stupidity. No coach is going to risk his own job security by sitting a QB that good. Big Ben is so good he's supposedly gotten by without much of a work ethic.
Agree. And if he's that much of a cancer for the rest of the team they would have just traded him. Imagine him carrying a clipboard with those other stiffs out there on the field, they think Philly fans can be rough.....
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote